Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you finish the Chargers game???

Renegade7

Did you watch the whole Chargers game???  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Did you watch the whole Chargers game???

• Yes
    • No

Renegade, don't feel like the Lone Ranger on this one, chief. Over the last few years, I've found myself being emotionally invested in this team less and less. It helps keep me sane. In previous eras, I would have a sick, hollow feeling in my gut when we lost. I don't care who we lost to. If we lost, I hated it......and I felt awful the entire week, unless we rectified it the following Sunday. Now, when we lose, I'm not surprised. Nor do I get upset. Part of me wishes that those old feelings would return.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

Never started watching it.  I set the DVR to record it, which is pretty much what I've been doing the last 2 seasons.  If we win, I'll watch it and fast forward through the huddles, commercials and time outs.  If we lose bad, I delete it.  If we lose and it's a close game, I'll usually watch it.

Great post.  You're not alone.  Similar to you, I've been a fan for 46 years and never missed a game.  But those days are over.

Yesterday afternoon, I went with my wife to a Christmas party her friends were having.  The husband who lived there greeted us upon our arrival and told me the Redskin game was on in the den.  I said, "Thanks, but I'm good."  One of the other husbands changed it to the Eagle game and I sat with him and watched that.

Also like you, the Skins will always be "my team" but from now on, I'll only watch when I have absolutely nothing else to do.  Win, lose, it doesn't matter.  I just don't care anymore.  And it's sad that this organization has sucked that life out of me.

We've been season ticket holders since 2003, but that is absolutely done now.  Looking forward to saving that money next year.

It's a flip of a switch for me..... I went through all my normal routines yesterday and was interested in the game. Set up the two TVs on the deck, jersey, hat, snacks, drinks....had some family over--- the full on routine I pull off every week and enjoy. And then I turned the TV off the Redskins game at the end of third and didn't watch any of the fourth (still haven't seen the Breeland TD). I also went a took my flag down and raised the Thunder flag-- a symbolic way of switching officially to basketball season I guess.

I wasn't mad, I didn't do it in anger. I packed the flag away, the jerseys won't come out again and while I may or may not watch our final three games I won't be going out of my way to do so. With three kids and a life it is HARD WORK ensuring you have a spot in front of the TV (or going to a game) 6+ hours per Sunday, 16 times per year. I really, really love it-  it is one of my favorite things to do and I would never deprive myself of that as long as I'm enjoying it. But it is also exhausting. So when we're done, I can check out pretty easily.

I enjoyed the season... just about as much as any other (and I go back to the early 80s). Of course ending the enjoyment on Dec. 10th instead of sometime in January is a bummer and disappointing, but this season the enjoyment level did trump that of several others throughout the years. There have been seasons where I "took the flag down" so to speak WAY before December 10th.

I look forward to the Redskins and the Sunday routine all year. This year I attended three games (both Dallas games and NOLA) and had a great time those weekends-- I'll never erase the pain of that NOLA loss, but it was still an enjoyable weekend and event. So when it's over, I'm always a little bummed, disappointed and you get that "man, will I EVER see them be great again?" feeling. But I've been doing this for 25 years now, so it's old hat and no big deal.

I flip the switch... I will consume a little bit of Redskins related stuff over the next three weeks, but it will tail off big time (I already have turned off 980 for the year). Once that last game finishes I'll be basically be on to other things-- I'll go from checking ES hourly to checking it a couple of times of week and I'll likely go on my normal 6ish-month posting hiatus. I won't pay particularly close attention to the draft or off-season, just the things I need to know to stay up to speed. I'll be super heavy into basketball and then baseball once that ends (Reds fan here, so unfortunately they give me less than the Redskins do normally). The one exception will be schedule release day-- I love that day and I'll start looking at potential road trips. Then, around mid July I'll start to really long for some football and I'll start checking ES more regularly. In August I'll turn 980 back on and start making it a part of my daily routine. I'll watch all the pre-season games and be excited for the opener. The routine will start anew and we will see how long it lasts for 2018. In 2014 it was early November. 2015 they made it all the way through the first week in January. Pretty close to that in 2016. 2017 was December 10th. We will see what 2018 has to offer.

I enjoy it, I look forward to it, I still buy stuff, and I'll always get Sunday Ticket and make a big deal out of watching games. It's really no different than 1991 for me I in that regard. And then I can just go into hibernation and more or less ignore them for 5-6 months once I'm done with it.

I only saw a brief bit of it.

I was helping with last minute preparations for our Children's Christmas Musical at church, and was too distracted to do anything but watch the score on my notifications screen on My phone. 

Would I have completely tuned out in the second half.  Oh yeah, more interesting things to watch for sure.

I had essentially begun to move on from the season after the Saints game.

1 hour ago, kleese said:

It's a flip of a switch for me..... I went through all my normal routines yesterday and was interested in the game. Set up the two TVs on the deck, jersey, hat, snacks, drinks....had some family over--- the full on routine I pull off every week and enjoy. And then I turned the TV off the Redskins game at the end of third and didn't watch any of the fourth (still haven't seen the Breeland TD). I also went a took my flag down and raised the Thunder flag-- a symbolic way of switching officially to basketball season I guess.

I flip the switch... I will consume a little bit of Redskins related stuff over the next three weeks, but it will tail off big time (I already have turned off 980 for the year). Once that last game finishes I'll be basically be on to other things-- I'll go from checking ES hourly to checking it a couple of times of week and I'll likely go on my normal 6ish-month posting hiatus. I won't pay particularly close attention to the draft or off-season, just the things I need to know to stay up to speed. I'll be super heavy into basketball and then baseball once that ends (Reds fan here, so unfortunately they give me less than the Redskins do normally). The one exception will be schedule release day-- I love that day and I'll start looking at potential road trips. Then, around mid July I'll start to really long for some football and I'll start checking ES more regularly. In August I'll turn 980 back on and start making it a part of my daily routine. I'll watch all the pre-season games and be excited for the opener. The routine will start anew and we will see how long it lasts for 2018. In 2014 it was early November. 2015 they made it all the way through the first week in January. Pretty close to that in 2016. 2017 was December 10th. We will see what 2018 has to offer.

I enjoy it, I look forward to it, I still buy stuff, and I'll always get Sunday Ticket and make a big deal out of watching games. It's really no different than 1991 for me I in that regard. And then I can just go into hibernation and more or less ignore them for 5-6 months once I'm done with it.

That sounds way too healthy. Shame on you.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

That sounds way too healthy. Shame on you.

I can promise you that anyone that knows me would not describe my Redskins fandom as "healthy." Especially my wife :)

But I will say this, I have a made conscious decision to not let the Redskins take the Redskins away from me.... if that makes sense. Some say life is too short to spend it wasting time on something that you don't enjoy. I agree with that. However, my view is that life is too short to NOT enjoy what you REALLY enjoy. So even though it ends in disappointment more often than not (or pretty much always really), I actually still enjoy the Redskins and football season. I don't care about Snyder or Allen or honestly even Gruden or Kirk. This is a personal thing for me. I hope someday I get to see them at the pinnacle again. That would be very cool. But if not, I'm still going to enjoy it as much as I possibly can every single year.

One of my best days of the year in 2017 was November 19th. Yes, this was the day of the Saints game. That loss was horrific. Being there live was so painful. I'll never be able to erase that. However, I was with my daughter, it was a beautiful day. We had an awesome weekend in NOLA. The crowd was great, Skins fans everywhere. She loved the scene. She had her gear on and was rooting for the Skins... not because she cares really, but because she wanted them to win for me. My memories from that day will always be a tad mixed, but in the end, it was a great, great day. And it likely never happens without the Redskins. It's why we made the trip when we made it and it was the crescendo event of the weekend. I'll keep doing it until I die. And yes, games like that may very well expedite the process.

1 minute ago, kleese said:

I can promise you that anyone that knows me would not describe my Redskins fandom as "healthy." Especially my wife :)

But I will say this, I have a made conscious decision to not let the Redskins take the Redskins away from me.... if that makes sense.

It does. Cherish the little things. Cheer for the moments.

The Saints game was such a microcosm of our season. So much hope, so much good, so much waste, such a ridiculous all but impossible ending.

I don't just love the Redskins but love the NFL but I am still more of a Redskins fan so even following how intense and close the Eagles-Rams game was on twitter during the home stretch of the Redskins game, I still couldn't switch it off.  I've never switched off a Redskins game regardless of the score.  But I get those who did switch the channel -- yesterday, was a hard watch.

Got home from work a little late yesterday. Saw it was 13-0 as I tried to find a working link to the game, got it working in time to see the Davis TD. Watched from there until almost the 2 minute warning. Knew the game was over around halftime, but kept watching because I'm a masochist for this damn team.

Then came the pick-6.

I knew there was no comeback, but it was still a nice play. A little sign of life. Then Gruden went for 1. And kicked it away. That's when I shut the game off. Because if the man who's getting paid that much money to give a **** about this team gives up, why the **** should I have to waste any more time on that game?

I had a buddy of mine text me during the beatdown yesterday and told me that his son was coming home from college and he was thinking about taking his son to Sunday's game. I hate to discourage folks from going and supporting the team, but even though tickets are cheap (metric ton for under $40 in the club level), friends just can't let friends waste their time......................

28 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I had a buddy of mine text me during the beatdown yesterday and told me that his son was coming home from college and he was thinking about taking his son to Sunday's game. I hate to discourage folks from going and supporting the team, but even though tickets are cheap (metric ton for under $40 in the club level), friends just can't let friends waste their time......................

I actually think that would be a perfect game to attend. Everything will be cheaper and there’s no real stress involved. No pain if they lose and if they win maybe they do it in some sort of cool way or something. Five minutes after the game ends it won’t matter either way, so it’s a good opportunity to enjoy the day without having the outcome ruin it. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

I actually think that would be a perfect game to attend. Everything will be cheaper and there’s no real stress involved. No pain if they lose and if they win maybe they do it in some sort of cool way or something. Five minutes after the game ends it won’t matter either way, so it’s a good opportunity to enjoy the day without having the outcome ruin it. 

I don't know Ed.......its not like my friend and his son haven't been to FedEx before (he lives in the area). And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, none of these last three games even have the redeeming value of the Skins getting to play spoiler........the Cards probably have the same miniscule playoff chances we did going into this past week. I hate to sound like a bad fan, but the cheap tickets aside, if it were me, I'd rather probably go to a nice sports bar with good food and enjoy some bonding time there for the next two games. But that's just me, and admittedly I wind up going to several games at FedEx per season, while he makes it there once every couple years. 

I mistimed the start. Thought it started at 20 past the hour. Didn't realise it started at 5 past. Turned on. Got a call, muted the game as I got distracted walking around talking. Finished my call. Turned the volume on just as Rivers threw a 75 yard TD. Noted the score and time. (19- 6. Just over 10 minutes left the second.). Turned off and went to bed. Wasn't until this evening I got around to seeing the final score. 

All in I class that as a successful Redskins Sunday. Shrugs. 

Hail. 

Just now, Boss_Hogg said:

I turned it off. 

They weren't showing any effort so I chose not to watch. Waste of money for the DirectTv

Call me a "fake fan" for not sitting through that turd fest, I don't care

fight me 

Wow, that’s going a bit “Extreme” :P (see what I did there?)

if people arent crazy, they’ll actually understand why you did what you did ?

Working on wiring my unfinished basement off and on most of the day yesterday. Had the game on the iPad during that time. I listened to the TV broadcast while occasionally taking a peek at the Ipad. Shut it off midway through the 3rd to go make dinner.  I understand the amount of injuries we sustained have made us a shell of what we were supposed to be, but I can’t actively watch a team without any fight in them. 

Archived