Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Giants Assessments

Burgold

43 minutes ago, Bang said:

Short  yardage problems are INEXCUSABLE.

INEXCUSABLE.

No injury excuse,, none..  as far as i am concerned if you can't line up and get a friggin YARD, hang your head and GO HOME.

It aggravates me to no end how we approach short yardage, and it's NOT NEW. Our goal line offense under Gruden has been atrocious.

We call plays that take time to develop.. we TAKE OUR TIME lining up to run it.. we give the defense the entire play clock to look at us and dig in.

Run the friggin' sneak. Push and be men about it. 

Their inability to manage the clock on these plays is inexcusable as well,, as in there is NO excuse to call a timeout and then get a delay on it's heels. NONE. 
**** the huddle... go out, line up and SHOVE.

~Bang

Goal line running at this point is just dumb. You can't practice it with contact and it's not used often enough to be worth wasting the time trying to use it. I'd rather they spread it out and run a QB sneak, read option or something like that. This team has always struggled lining up and getting a yard when the other team knows we are running.

Nick Rose has been a complete surprise. When I heard his college percentage was like 73%, I was ready for Smith level special teams but he has been fantastic. I think we should keep him.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

1. Run Game looked better... Perine looks like he wants the job, but he's got to get the ball security down.  The dropped pass was high, but you're an NFL RB bud... need to catch that.  We've also had 2 consecutive weeks that he's dodged the bullet by being down when the ball comes out.  Need to maintain the security of the ball THROUGH the play.  

I  thought that was Byron Marshall, not Perine.

Surprised no one had mentioned Thompson yet, man not having him on the field is going to hurt us down the stretch. There was a lot of instances last night you know the play would have gone to him. Not to mention pass pro, he's very underrated there and Cousins got sacked 6 times. We've had a beat up line before and I don't think he's been sacked 6 times. I really hope Trent can play in Dallas

4 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Surprised no one had mentioned Thompson yet, man not having him on the field is going to hurt us down the stretch. There was a lot of instances last night you know the play would have gone to him. Not to mention pass pro, he's very underrated there and Cousins got sacked 6 times. We've had a beat up line before and I don't think he's been sacked 6 times. I really hope Trent can play in Dallas

It's possible they didn't play Trent Williams yesterday so that they might be able to play him against Dallas.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yep, been saying all year with just a normal amount of injuries this is a playoff team.  I just felt sorry for the guy in Iowa who was forced to watch this at times unwatchable game.  

Are they really? Last year we healthy and with a better offense and played a “win and in” game at home against a team that was playing for absolutely nothing and we were flat.

We’re not going anywhere under Gruden.

Perine got another 100 - I got to give him some credit as that is no longer an easy thing to accomplish in the NFL.   He got a few good shots on DBs but think he is learning truckin' was much easier in college. He had a drop and near fumble when the first thing to hit the ground was his elbow, but he survived. 

Cousins to Crowder is a thing yay after about a season long layoff.  I am glad Doctson got his TD. Their roles are becoming clearer.  But I do think Doctson was going to featured but was blanketed. I cannot recall Kirk moving on from his first read as much as he did yesterday, and sure enough he ended up with 6 sacks.  I think the DBs got away with a lot of holding/PIs on both sides. I feared Josh was hurting after his TD.  Crowder had a knee.... something to remember if we wonder why either are invisible next game.

What is up with our pathetic field once again.  I cannot recall seeing a field with just the area between the numbers basically dirt, and the outsides looking good.  Perfectly straight lines of good and bad field.... talk about an eye sore. Yeesh just paint the dirt like old times and at least fool the masses.

It would have really sucked had we lost to drunk Eli and friends.

40 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Cousins commented in his post-game presser that taking more sacks is a conscious decision that he's made this year.  He is really working on trying to extend plays, so this year he's holding the ball a little longer rather than always making a quick decision.  It's resulted in some big plays for us this year (see Crowder's TD last night), but has also resulted in him taking more than twice as many sacks.  In my opinion, I'd rather see him go back to his old style as I don't think the extra TDs make up for all the lost yardage (plus increased chances of fumbles and injuries).

My thoughts.  

- Watching a football game in 30 degree weather is less fun the older I get.

- Stadium seemed to be ~40% blue.  The lower bowl behind the Giants bench looked mostly blue. 

- Redskins receivers, as a whole, look less impressive live when running routes.  

- Doctson should have had a few more targets when the Giants brought their safeties down and left him on an island.  

-  Redskins defense made plays and played great overall, credit to them.  But....

- The best defense is a bad offense, at least some nights.  Eli is either done or mentally checked out.  He had guys open.

34 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Are they really? Last year we healthy and with a better offense and played a “win and in” game at home against a team that was playing for absolutely nothing and we were flat.

We’re not going anywhere under Gruden.

If you can't see the difference between last year's defense and the one we had prior to all the injuries gutting the heart out of it I don't know what to say to you.  

The last two games, suddenly a running game has developed.  I guess I will omit short yardage running from that because they still can't seem to do that. 

Perine right now almost looks like another Alfred Morris type (but without the benefit of a read option QB keeping the defense guessing).  Perine isn't doing anything spectacular, but he has the field vision that a guy like Kelley lacks, which is allowing him to make the right cuts at the right time to put together some nice rushes.

Makes me wonder what the running game could have possibly looked like if Perine didn't have a case of the fumbles early in the season and get benched.  If this running game would have existed the entire season? Who knows. It could have gone a long way in winding down the clock later in games.

1 minute ago, Destino said:

My thoughts.  

- Watching a football game in 30 degree weather is less fun the older I get.

- Stadium seemed to be ~40% blue.  The lower bowl behind the Giants bench looked mostly blue. 

- Redskins receivers, as a whole, look less impressive live when running routes.  

- Doctson should have had a few more targets when the Giants brought their safeties down and left him on an island.  

-  Redskins defense made plays and played great overall, credit to them.  But....

- The best defense is a bad offense, at least some nights.  Eli is either done or mentally checked out.  He had guys open.

LOL at the first part.  I'm 58 and as we were headed to our Thanksgiving we heard the gates were open at noon for anyone who wants to watch the first 2 games on the big screen.  I was trying to figure out what the number you could pay me would be to spend my Thankgiving outside watching 3 games, 2 on TV.

7 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

Cousins commented in his post-game presser that taking more sacks is a conscious decision that he's made this year.  He is really working on trying to extend plays, so this year he's holding the ball a little longer rather than always making a quick decision. 

I don't have a problem with Cousins holding the ball longer, but he needs to get better at maintaining an internal clock and realize after 3-4 seconds he better roll out, bootleg, or do something to get out of the pocket and extend the play.  Last night the problem wasn't necessarily him holding onto the ball too long, it was sitting in the pocket too long to where it was crashing in on him and he had no lane to escape.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't have a problem with Cousins holding the ball longer, but he needs to get better at maintaining an internal clock and realize after 3-4 seconds he better roll out, bootleg, or do something to get out of the pocket and extend the play.  Last night the problem wasn't necessarily him holding onto the ball too long, it was sitting in the pocket too long to where it was crashing in on him and he had no lane to escape.

Yeah there was at least 1 sack that we had blocked, it was a 3 man rush and he stepped up into it and getting swallowed.  The other one that killed me is the one where he looked back and got tripped up.  If you're gonna run... RUN.

Seeing a blimp's view of the field, it looked like RFK EX Field. Green on the outsides, and dirt in between the hashes.

1. This was a divisional game, so I was expecting a few wild crazy plays, and it didn't disappoint.

2. After watching Perine trying to run between tackles for 3 qtrs. and getting squat, Gruden finally began calling some outside running, and low and behold it worked. It drew in the defense which enabled KC to go PA to Crowder.

3. The quick slant passes KC was trying to throw to Crowder [ 5'8 in high heels ] when Crowder was directly BEHIND JPP, made no sense to me at all. I bet had JPP had all his fingers he would have caught at least 1 of those passes. But why throw that type of pass OVER the tallest Giants defender to the SHORTEST WR, and to make it worse, KC threw the ball at shoulder height. There was no possible way of that ball being caught.

4. Defense played good. Luckily Norman's adversary wasn't on the field or it may have been a different story.

5. The hiccup. The 4th qtr 'do we punt'  ' do we run'  ' do we pass ' debacle once again reared its ugly face. Decision-making in crucial times seems to be an ongoing affair for Gruden, and it has to stop.

Glad to see the Redskins were not embarrassed on national tv, again, but considering how this very same banged up Redskins team went toe to toe with the Vikes and Saints, this game shouldn't have been this much of a nail biter.

1 hour ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Goal line running at this point is just dumb. You can't practice it with contact and it's not used often enough to be worth wasting the time trying to use it. I'd rather they spread it out and run a QB sneak, read option or something like that. This team has always struggled lining up and getting a yard when the other team knows we are running.

Nick Rose has been a complete surprise. When I heard his college percentage was like 73%, I was ready for Smith level special teams but he has been fantastic. I think we should keep him.

I think people's perception (and I'll admit mine too) is worse than reality. The truth is our red zone efficiency (I.e. Touchdown percentage is between 65-70% according to an article I read the other day - I think it's an espn article in breaking news about cousins playing his best ball). 

Thats top top ten and near top five in the league (not sure after last night). For all our complaints Gruden and cousins have us in the top ten in almost every major statistical offensive category in the league. Despite all the new and injured players our offense has been a bright spot most of the year and perine has been excellent in his two real games of action. 

I think the redzone/goalline offense being poor is a complete fallacy. We were best in the league two years ago. Near the top this year. Last year's debacle was the outlier under gruden but everyone is so negative they've clung to it and everything else negative and are just looking to throw spears. 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Im sort of confused with the folks upset that we were checking it down and not heaving it on third and long.  Against a Giants team that can't move the ball.  Why risk it?

My comment is less about risk and more geared toward just throwing it away.  Put the ball out of bounds, punt, and live on.  Hindsight is 20/20.  These guys are programmed to always want to be competitive, and it's not easy to train yourself to 'give up' on a play, but sometimes it's the best thing to do.  Throw it over Marshall's head, out of bounds, punt the ball and stop them on defense.  I'm not mad at him for what did, just a growth thing of recognizing a play is lost, and understanding risk vs reward.  Marshall is not going to pick up that 1st, even with a perfect throw. 

We played a meh game. Fortunately the Giants are so god awful offensively that 6 points would have been enough to win if not for the beyond moronic play that was the pick 6. If there was ever a game to break our streak of no shutouts since 1991 this would have been in. Unfortunately we gave up a stupid 3rd and 15 conversion and of course the pick 6. Oh well.

We looked like a team that just suffered a soul crushing season ending chokejob loss just four days prior. Had the Giants been a better offensive team and capable of scoring points early they probably win in a rout. But we eventually made some plays and once we realized we're playing a jabroni team thats given up on its coach, we put them away.

Despite all the injuries around him, Cousins still managed ~250 yards and 2 TDs. The pick 6 was awful but beyond that he was fine. The sacks were mostly coverage sacks as our receiver corps couldn't get open against a Giant secondary that is still one of if not the best units in the league.

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My comment is less about risk and more geared toward just throwing it away.  Put the ball out of bounds, punt, and live on.  Hindsight is 20/20.  These guys are programmed to always want to be competitive, and it's not easy to train yourself to 'give up' on a play, but sometimes it's the best thing to do.  Throw it over Marshall's head, out of bounds, punt the ball and stop them on defense.  I'm not mad at him for what did, just a growth thing of recognizing a play is lost, and understanding risk vs reward.  Marshall is not going to pick up that 1st, even with a perfect throw. 

I get what you're saying there but I would say that is a completed throw 99% of the time so I didn't see it as a throw involving any risk... It was just one of those weird things that happen

I'm more surprised that Byron Marshall didn't catch it actually considering he played receiver in college but it certainly was a high ball

5 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

I get what you're saying there but I would say that is a completed throw 99% of the time so I didn't see it as a throw involving any risk... It was just one of those weird things that happen

I'm more surprised that Byron Marshall didn't catch it actually considering he played receiver in college but it certainly was a high ball

I'm with you, in this instance it didnt really hurt us, but it could have.  That tied the game on a play that didnt 'need' to happen.  It's all a bunch of over-analysis and critique coming out of an 'ugly' win.  It was a better decision then forcing it downfield into what would seem to be a more risky situation and we got a bad break.  

We won primarily on the run game with a couple key big plays, something that has to happen sometimes. 

Half time adjustments stood out to me.  Couldn't run for squat in the 1st half but did really well to get the yards the way we did in the 2nd.  Kirk threw some balls in the 1st half that were 'WTF was that' kinda throws.  Still did some of that in the 2nd half but not as much.  Great seeing the off schedule play on 3rd and 15 throwing to Crowder for the TD.   Not sure he's done that type of thing in the past.  As for the D, it was greatly aided by an inept Giants O.  Eli really looked off and wasn't helped by his weapons consistently having the dropsies.  They have 14 on IR to our 15 so they're really beat up too.  Just glad to escape with a W on an ugly day..  Dallas will be a tough out where both teams will be playing for they playoff lives..

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

The replacement line seemed to run block better in the second half.  They might better be run blockers than pass protesters.  It was good to see Perine perform well.

The win last night kept hopes alive.  

Now, i don't have anything to go by on this other than football sense built over decades of following and studying it..  and maybe some of the smarter folks like @KDawgor @kleese can tell me if I'm wrong,, but it seems to me the worse shape the OL 

is in, the simpler you ought to make their job, and slamming the ball in between the tackles doesn't get much simpler.

if they are backups with poor footwork, are slow, or whatever reason, they are BIG regardless, and so utilize that. Shove forward, hit the man in front of you and move him out.

I saw above Cousins says he's trying to take more sacks instead of rushing a bad throw,,, which is all well and good.. but maybe the coaches could help him out by not calling plays that take a long time to develop.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I thought the same thing,,  those safeties were just crashing SO hard to stop the run in the second half,,  I was hoping for that fly route to Doctson. It'd have been one on one and gone.

~Bang

Archived