Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Giants Assessments

Burgold

I'd guess sacks... the giants had to have been playing pretty good coverage.. there were times Kirk had time before it collapsed, as many as when they just charged into his face.

Kirk does have a propensity to take sacks at the WORST time.  If there is one thing i've seen from him is he learns from mistakes.

Since earlier he said he's been consciously taking more sacks than chancy throws this year, hopefully he will learn the power of "throwing it into row 50" when nothing opens up.

~Bang

4 minutes ago, Bang said:

Kirk does have a propensity to take sacks at the WORST time.  If there is one thing i've seen from him is he learns from mistakes.

Since earlier he said he's been consciously taking more sacks than chancy throws this year, hopefully he will learn the power of "throwing it into row 50" when nothing opens up.

~Bang

Gruden has some receivers route that goes up to Row 50 so that doesn't look like IG?

31 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Gruden has some receivers route that goes up to Row 50 so that doesn't look like IG?

well I can't speak to the ones around mid field but the two where they're in the redzone?  Refs tend to actually be pretty lenient on QBs chucking it down the center of the field out the back of the endzone.

38 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Yes, its 4 of the 6 sacks Kirk took, wish I could tell what was going on upfield but I mainly posted them because the O line did a hell of a lot better than people are giving them credit for, I'm actually amazed how good they were in pass pro.

Thanks for the stills.

It was pretty easy to surmise that coverage was good (without all 22 eyes), as Kirk's primary was covered what seemed like most of the game. 

Kirk definitely takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. Part of me wonders if he worries about his completion percentage being a big part of his negotiations, so he takes a sack rather than hurt his completion rate. 

Part of me thinks I’m far too cynical and Kirk is too much of a stand up guy for that and he just has a propensity for taking sacks.

Then the cynical side of me says , “$30M+” and im back wondering if he is afraid to throw the ball away as often as he really should. 

Man, i'd really be shocked if Kirk thinks of his bottom line over the team...  either that or he's just a REALLY good actor.

he never throws a teammate down, he always takes the blame for all mistakes the offense makes. 

Likewise when he performs, he makes sure the spotlight does not shine on him. Last night, corny as it may be, was a prime example,  when NBC gave him the turkey leg, he fed his OL.

Unless he is REALLY good at playing his poker face, I just believe him. i think he really is that guy who wants nothing more than to facillitate his teammates' success.. his ego and/or contract don't seem to factor into his play.

I hope i'm not wrong about him.

~Bang

Well, if we're taking the guy at face value, he's trying to stretch his ability to extend the play and to face the pressure of potentially taking a sack, while not giving into said pressure and forcing a throw for an interception (like that backfoot throw in the first eagles game).

I mean, there is evidence of him trying to extend plays more then he ever did past seasons, and he has had success along with failures and taking more sacks in the process.

I think I remember Cousins at one time in preseason talking about how now that he is the guy here, he can afford to take some lumps while working on the things he wants to improve. I can appreciate someone willing to step out of their comfort zones in such high pressure situations in order to adapt and grow.

I could be wrong, but I'm hoping I'm right and this is just another example of Kirk being truly a student of the game. Doing his best to be more of a QB when it comes to working on aspects of command at the line, and shake and bake extending plays behind it.  

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Kirk definitely takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. Part of me wonders if he worries about his completion percentage being a big part of his negotiations, so he takes a sack rather than hurt his completion rate. 

Part of me thinks I’m far too cynical and Kirk is too much of a stand up guy for that and he just has a propensity for taking sacks.

Then the cynical side of me says , “$30M+” and im back wondering if he is afraid to throw the ball away as often as he really should. 

I think the sacks come from him not wanting to make some of the awful interceptions he had a tendency to make early in his career and he is probably thinking about that $30mil wanting to make a big play.

I think Perine will be a solid back.  He's really come on in the last couple of games.  Glad that fumble got overturned so he can keep his confidence up.

I really love the Skins, but these kind of games are simply the worst product the league has to offer.  Injuries have really gutted us, but when we play like that I am reminded of how far we have yet to go.  What a gross game.

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sounds awful familiar. ;) 

Then there's this:

16 minutes ago, Bang said:

Man, i'd really be shocked if Kirk thinks of his bottom line over the team...  either that or he's just a REALLY good actor.

he never throws a teammate down, he always takes the blame for all mistakes the offense makes. 

Likewise when he performs, he makes sure the spotlight does not shine on him. Last night, corny as it may be, was a prime example,  when NBC gave him the turkey leg, he fed his OL.

Unless he is REALLY good at playing his poker face, I just believe him. i think he really is that guy who wants nothing more than to facillitate his teammates' success.. his ego and/or contract don't seem to factor into his play.

I hope i'm not wrong about him.

~Bang

Even if this was the long con playing out, somewhere along the line there'd have been a slight slip or hiccup. 

He's played better ball each year he's been the starter. With all of these injuries, he's been creating chicken salad out of chicken ****.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

I'd guess sacks... the giants had to have been playing pretty good coverage.. there were times Kirk had time before it collapsed, as many as when they just charged into his face.

~Bang

This is very true.

I wish either Gruden would talk to him about that or KC just develop a clock in his head to get out of the pocket after 3-4 seconds. Especially now, with the replacements in there, those guys aren't used to 60 minutes of blocking, but they have done a very good job considering the circumstances. Hec, the offense had the lead or was right in the game with them in there, so Callahan is doing a better job than I thought of player preparation.

When he did get out of the pocket his vision was much clearer for him I'm sure, and his passes were good too; good results. Need to call for more roll-outs.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Yes, in his PC, Cousins basically took blame for most of the sacks, saying that the OL gave him time, but he was trying to make something happen.

He may or may not  have been covering for the OL, but it's cool he'll shoulder the blame.

15 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

For 3 quarters I was thinking "OK, at what point do the Giants receivers start catching passes"? Evidently all 4 quarters, thank goodness. As far as the shoe incident... so what. Who needs all 11 players for a QB sneak? There's no penalty for that... (https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/8_Rule5_Players_Subs_Equip_GeneralRules.pdf

At times Gruden seems to overthink things instead of just going with football instincts. 

Passes to Crowder complete?

Are you really suggesting we run a 4th and 1 with 10 men?  Really?  Oh and they rarely call QB sneaks. So there's that.  

11 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes, in his PC, Cousins basically took blame for most of the sacks, saying that the OL gave him time, but he was trying to make something happen.

He may or may not  have been covering for the OL, but it's cool he'll shoulder the blame.

it's hard to say.  Because on a couple of him it was kind of obvious nothing was happening and he needed to move, but by the time he made that decision the entire pocket collapsed

15 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Yes, its 4 of the 6 sacks Kirk took, wish I could tell what was going on upfield but I mainly posted them because the O line did a hell of a lot better than people are giving them credit for, I'm actually amazed how good they were in pass pro.

Kirk pretty clearly stated that many were coverage sacks.  I'll take a sack over a force that turns into an INT, especially in the Red Zone. 

Archived