Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It is possible that Dan's "committee" is making these recommendations or he has a new GM and just isn't saying it.  I am betting not.  but you never know, I gather we will find out soon. 

Also possible is that Dan went with Schaeffer as TP and Kyle Smith as GM. Or Schaeffer as GM. And they are the ones making the coaches search, which would have some sense then.

5 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Hi Mr Voice _of _Reason, so who will be our GM and HC in your opinion. 

HTTR 

This is tough because I don’t even know how many roles they are going to have or what they really mean. 

I don't even know if they are going to end up with a General Manager title. 

If I had to bet, I think the top executive is Urban Meyer.  

I think the player picker depends on the coach. If it’s Rivera, it’s whoever Rivera wants because that would be part of the pitch: “Hey Ron, you can even pick your personnel guy.” 

If it’s Lewis, then I think the head player picker is probably Kyle Smith or Morrocco Brown who he’s been tied to.  

Im not sure what this means for Kyle Smith or Doug Williams. I kinda feel Doug is out regardless in some capacity, there’s just no room for him, and his role was always a bit undefined.

It will be interesting to see.

Morocco Brown. BARF.

Same with Marvin Lewis and hue.

DOUBLE BARF.

I could live with Rivera. Not thrilled about him though.

I'm really hoping these names that are out there are smoke screens and we will have a surprise name like harbaugh or something along those lines.

Just really really underwhelmed with the names I've heard so far.

REALLY don't want Brown anywhere near the FO. His drafts absolutely SUCKED. Guys like Devin Thomas, the comb, Jarvis Jenkins, Kevin Barnes.

Those drafts absolutely SUCKED every damn year and are partially responsible for the mess that led to the rg3 trade and the fallout from that.

Marvin Lewis led the Bengals to the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons and 5 straight in probably the toughest division in football with Pittsburgh/Baltimore.  The Bengals have terrible ownership and even though Lewis never won a playoff game he’s virtually Vince Lombardi for having any sustained success in Cincy.

The Redskins are the biggest laughingstock in pro football.  I’d take Ron Rivera in a second.  They should finally go with a defensive minded HC.  When you’re running a dumpster fire organization you need to stop the bleeding.  LOL @ Redskins fans thinking they’re above some of these candidates.  Skins fans out here waiting and hoping for names as usual.  You really think Harbaugh is walking through that door?  You want Urban ****ing Meyer?  Get the **** outta here.

Ron rivera coached the Panthers for 9 seasons. 6 were losing seasons.

Lewis has 0 playoff wins and doesn't think motivating players is important.

Meyer has zero NFL executive experience, and is almost as slimy as the guy we all wanted out.

KOC has been annointed as an offensive genius for some reason I can't understand.

Morocco brown was here when we couldn't build anything.

Hue Jackson is very underwhelming.

All the names I've heard have been disappointing.   I don't know if people just expected no one would want the job, and are pleasantly surprised a mediocre candidate will come to DC, and maybe they are right.  But I just cant get excited for any of this, especially if Bruce is still employed.

Advanced issue found

22 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

REALLY don't want Brown anywhere near the FO. His drafts absolutely SUCKED. Guys like Devin Thomas, the comb, Jarvis Jenkins, Kevin Barnes.

Those drafts absolutely SUCKED every damn year and are partially responsible for the mess that led to the rg3 trade and the fallout from that.

I have some reservations too, but the Colts have had some strong drafts IMO while Brown has been there.

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Im not sure what this means for Kyle Smith or Doug Williams. I kinda feel Doug is out regardless in some capacity, there’s just no room for him, and his role was always a bit undefined.

It will be interesting to see.

Doug  would be a good spoke person if Smith or Brown would be player picker. If I'm Kyle Smith I wouldn't mind somebody else doing all the media stuff. 

Just now, wilco_holland said:

Doug  would be a good spoke person if Smith or Brown would be player picker. If I'm Kyle Smith I wouldn't mind somebody else doing all the media stuff. 

Except that Doug hasn’t proven to be a good spokesman.  And that really should be the player picker or the president. 

It might work out that way.  But o don’t know what benefit it has. 

I'm not sure if we need to be excited about the committee. It could be old boys network that pushes a name or persons because of reasons. 

But it looks like we want a veteran HC. Mike Tomlin would be dream but not possible. Rivera and Lewis have had some success. Don't hear any hype about Young coordinator or college coach. We also can't interview guys on current NFL teams right? 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Except that Doug hasn’t proven to be a good spokesman.  And that really should be the player picker or the president. 

It might work out that way.  But o don’t know what benefit it has. 

Reason would then he that the GM would like to stay out of media stuff and an team legend like Doug would get extra credit from fans and media. 

Not saying I like the idea but could be very Dan/Redskins like. 

1 hour ago, TK said:

The two names in the running so far, Rivera & Lewis, are both Defensive coaches which allows the the team to keep Kevin O'Connell in place as the OC. Remember, ever since Jason Campbell (Gibbs/Saunders/Zorn), our young QBs(RG3/Kirk- Kyle/McVay/LeFleur) had been constantly getting new OC which some pointed to as screwing up their development.   

Making a hire just to keep a guy, who were not sure is any good, on staff is more of the same. No thanks.

On 12/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

He's quit twice but maybe in this case they see it as an advantage with the idea is to groom O'Connell to take over.  I am ok if its Urban Meyer.  The key to me is Bruce has to be out the door.  And hopefully they elevate Kyle or bring someone else to run with the FO with real personnel pedigree.

I got no problem if Alex is part of the FO, I just don't want him or any rookie type running the FO.  Having said that I doubt they do it where they gave him the reigns.  

Alex (like Joe Gibbs) is a cool person that I endorse Danny to play with.  Bruce I think doubles down on some of Dan's worst instincts and nastiness.  Alex on the other hand is a stand up dude, super nice guy, classy.  I prefer Dan to play in the school yard with the nice boys.  And Alex would be one of those people.

I have always like Rivera and was hoping this team would get him instead of Shanny years ago as HC. Very smart defensive mind who knows the 3-4, 4-3 and 4-6 very well. Players respect him because he was a SB winner as a player and, although not a players’ coach, players love him (see Cam’s anguish when he was fired)

Folks point to Rivera’s record as HC but understand he had some of the worst personnel folks in the league (Gettleman and Hurney), old school idiots who believed in spending their money on 3 average backs vs receivers.

I’d be excited to see him coach this team with KOC as OC and I believe, with his network and the respect he draws around the league, he can bring in a good DC under him

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not to insult KOC and compare him to Haslett, but this smells like the same type of scenario we’ve seen in the past.  Hire a head coach who will take some leftovers.

This time I am kind of OK with it. Rivera will be a GREAT get for defensive side of the ball. I am fine with staying consistent on the Offensive side of the ball. We just started seeing growth from Haskins. It would be nice not to start that growth all over again.

Archived