Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

6 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Ron Rivera is exactly the type of hire you make when you dont really understand football and you are aiming to just be respectable, not actually good.  Rivera, who is a defensive coach, managed 2 top 10 defenses in his 9  years in Carolina.  Thats kind of poor.  If he cant figure out how to coach his side of the ball, and he cant figure out how to build a winner(7 wins or less 3 of the last 4 seasons) then almost surely hes never going to be a great coach.  Hes better than the Jay Grudens of the world, but an NFL GM who knows what they are doing and wants to build a dominant team would not hire him.

And having option 2 as the Duo who failed at the Bengals and Browns is laughable.  But it fits.

Thank you for putting into words what I've been grappling with. Rivera AND Marvin are the type of low-ceiling "well at least you'll be respectable, people like them and they've been average bedore" hires someone who doesn't really want to win long term considers. These are hires meant to just stop the bleeding, not innovate or dominate the division. 

Then again, if our rep has taken such a hit that FAs (maybe even rookies) fear coming here...hell, good coordintors as well fear it the last couple years with Gruden on the hot seat...maybe someone who can restore respectability is a good first step. Hell I don't know.

If Rivera is the guy my focus on the "new" FO structure becomes laser-like in it's intensity. Because he's a good dude and will get players to battle every week, but if we want to take a step beyond simply not being a hated laughingstock, he's gonna need elite players supplied to him. He's not gonna innovate. We can't be cheap in FA (ironically only really overpaying JAGs like Paul Richardson while lowballing studs unless they fit a narrative like Collins)...we have to hope that was mostly Bruce. 

Either way, Rivera is not a guy who gets the blood pumping. If his hire is accompanied by a simple reshuffling of duties for Schaeffer/Kyle Smith/Doug (why are you here Doug)...its gonna be a big yawn fest. 

11 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Ron Rivera is exactly the type of hire you make when you dont really understand football and you are aiming to just be respectable, not actually good.  Rivera, who is a defensive coach, managed 2 top 10 defenses in his 9  years in Carolina.  Thats kind of poor.  If he cant figure out how to coach his side of the ball, and he cant figure out how to build a winner(7 wins or less 3 of the last 4 seasons) then almost surely hes never going to be a great coach.  Hes better than the Jay Grudens of the world, but an NFL GM who knows what they are doing and wants to build a dominant team would not hire him.

And having option 2 as the Duo who failed at the Bengals and Browns is laughable.  But it fits.

And most of those 9 years, the D was BOTTOM 10.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Thank you for putting into words what I've been grappling with. Rivera AND Marvin are the type of low-ceiling "well at least you'll be respectable, people like them and they've been average bedore" hires someone who doesn't really want to win long term considers. These are hires meant to just stop the bleeding, not innovate or dominate the division. 

Yeah, but that is what I thought when the Seahawks brought in Pete Carroll.

He did very well in college, but he was nothing special with his HC stints with the Jets and the Patriots.

Just someone to make the Seahawks respectable again.

He's done much more.

So you never know what a coach might do in a certain situation with certain players.

Of course I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but it feels like a small handful of the best possible retreads were pulled from a hat and we're going all in on offering the best option.  I am not completely down on Rivera and personally would take him over Lewis any day, but if you really want to change the culture and build a winning franchise wouldn't you want to look at every possible candidate you can. I think you interview every successful coordinator and HC from college to the pros.  All the names I see mentioned should be last resorts, not your first and only options. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That is what I get but to step in Dan his shoes. You can make a big risk hire again but if that misses, you kinda failed on the Haskins window. 

You now have 3 to 4 years to develop Haskins and make a run with him on a rookie contract. If you take a proven coach you at least know what you get (might not be the home run but at least a solid 2 base hit). 

22 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Weird, would the Redskins just sit and wait for him to cross out his other top options? I guess we’ll see. Totally ignorant, but not how I’d roll, would want the guy to be completely invested in joining, especially when a 5 year type guaranteed deal is on the table. 

Pass. 

I hear ya, you'd definitely want the feeling that your guy wants to be here, not just because it was his last option.

However, if you offered your top candidate the job, wouldn't you give them time to think it over, confer with their family etc?   It would be ridiculous to say I need your answer immediately.  I doubt Rivera said, I'd like time to see what my better options decide, I'm sure that's speculation by the media.

At the same time, the inconvenient truth in all this, considering the rumors we have been hearing this weekend don't seem much better than what we have had in place, being somebody's last resort might be something Dan just has to accept.  He did it to himself by running this organization ass backwards for 20+ years. 

14 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yeah, but that is what I thought when the Seahawks brought in Pete Carroll.

He did very well in college, but he was nothing special with his HC stints with the Jets and the Patriots.

Just someone to make the Seahawks respectable again.

He's done much more.

So you never know what a coach might do in a certain situation with certain players.

And without a great D for a couple years that couldn't last and the miracle that was Russel Wilson Pete would have been fired a long time ago. He's exactly the kind of likeable football guy who would have crashed and burned here. He's stuck in the past, doesn't believe in analytics, and has his ass saved by Wilson on a weekly basis almost. They are in some of the closest games in the NFL week to week despite having Wilson. He is one of the best and most efficient QBs in the league and they still haven't built the offense around utilizing that until they have to cut him loose in the 4th quarter almost every week. 

So I'm not sure that's a great comp. Or I hope it's not. Pete is a good guy and an okay coach but one of the most overrated in the league imo. 

We have geniuses on here panning a possible Rivera/Lewis hire but not giving us any names who would be better hires.  Where are the coaches that are going to turn around this dumpster fire?  You do realize that hiring a guy who has helped turn around a dumpster fire before is smart.  A total change in culture is what’s needed.  The Redskins are so far removed from respectability it sickens me that some fans still think we are just a couple moves away from the top.  Give me a break.  

Bengals 5 seasons before hiring Marvin Lewis..

3-13

4-12

4-12

6-10

2-14

Season after he left..

1-14 

In between that **** he was .500 or better 10 out of 16 seasons.  

My wishes:

GM: Kyle smith

Senior Vice President of Football Operations: Eric Schaffer

Senior Vice President of Player Personnel: Urban Meyer

Head Coach: Ron Rivera

Defensive Coordinator: Rob Ryan

Defensive Line Coach: Sam Mills or Karl Dunbar

Offensive Coordinator: Kevin O’Connell 

I think with the right coach and a piece or two the Redskins could have a dominant or at least feared defense. 

with that in mind, I kinda like the idea of a Rivera, assuming we get the other side of the ball right.  In any case, I’ll withhold any major opinion until we hear the announcement. 

after all, anyone who rejects us is automatically a bum we never wanted in the first place 🤪

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

And without a great D four a couple year that couldn't last and the miracle that was Russel Wilson Pete would have been fired a long time ago. He's exactly the kind of likeable football guy who would have crashed and burned here. He's stuck in the past, doesn't believe in analytics, and has his ass saved by Wilson on a weekly basis almost. They are in some of the closest games in the NFL week to week despite having Wilson. He is one of the best and most efficient QBs in the league and they still haven't built the offense around utilizing that until they have to cut him loose in the 4th quarter almost every week. 

So I'm not sure that's a great comp. Or I hope it's not. Pete is a good guy and an okay coach but one of the most overrated in the league imo. 

Well they won a Super Bowl with Carroll and went to another.

The man has to have something on the ball. He didn't just luck into all that (like Barry Switzer did :) ).

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

We have geniuses on here panning a possible Rivera/Lewis hire but not giving us any names who would be better hires.  Where are the coaches that are going to turn around this dumpster fire?  You do realize that hiring a guy who has helped turn around a dumpster fire before is smart.  A total change in culture is what’s needed.  The Redskins are so far removed from respectability it sickens me that some fans still think we are just a couple moves away from the top.  Give me a break.  

Just for arguments sake, what did Rivera or Lewis do at previous "dumpster fire" locations besides be average or worse almost every year other than one SB loss for Rivera when he had an MVP QB playing out of his mind compared to the rest of his career? 

Taking coaches who made bad teams average just means your goal is to be average. Trying to be innovative and do new things is how you take the division by storm. Again, for argument's sake, that's a respectable position to have but you're indignant about what you're reading here. 

We aren't partaking in a thorough vetting process and that's obvious. We aren't interviewing hot coordinators, college innovators, or anything like that to get the best ideas and candidates on our plate. Once again we've singled out one or two known quantities that Snyder is comfortable with, put on blinders, and acted like it's revolutionary. 

Now I'm open to Rivera with the right FO, despite questioning it. It could work out or at least restore us to respectability.

But to act like it's ****ing entitlement from fans to want our organization to conduct GM/HC searches the way the best organizations do and that we should be happy with whatever scraps deign to come here without an exhaustive search? Please. That's just bootlicker thinking. Forgive us for wanting things done right, even IF someone like Rivera was the answer a good process spit out at the end. 

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Think it stems more from an anti-retread mentality than anything, particularly since both Ron and Marvin's HC stints ended fairly recently. I prefer the Skins choose someone who will make their HC name for themselves here. Yes, Jay didnt wind up working out, but it happens

22 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

You should take a local cruise there! Beautiful coastline 😉

Funny.  My wife and I are actually taking a cruise from Dubai to Rome.   Going around the Horn of Africa and that beautiful Somalia coastline.  I understand it can get a little sporting with the locals.  

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Just for arguments sake, what did Rivera or Lewis do at previous "dumpster fire" locations besides be average or worse almost every year other than one SB loss for Rivera when he had an MVP QB playing out of his mind compared to the rest of his career? 

Taking coaches who made bad teams average just means your goal is to be average. Trying to be innovative and do new things is how you take the division by storm. Again, for argument's sake, that's a respectable position to have but you're indignant about what you're reading here. 

We aren't partaking in a thorough vetting process and that's obvious. We aren't interviewing hot coordinators, college innovators, or anything like that to get the best ideas and candidates on our plate. Once again we've singled out one or two known quantities that Snyder is comfortable with, put on blinders, and acted like it's revolutionary. 

Now I'm open to Rivera with the right FO, despite questioning it. It could work out or at least restore us to respectability.

But to act like it's ****ing entitlement from fans to want our organization to conduct GM/HC searches the way the best organizations do and that we should be happy with whatever scraps deign to come here without an exhaustive search? Please. That's just bootlicker thinking. Forgive us for wanting things done right, even IF someone like Rivera was the answer a good process spit out at the end. 

Bad teams average?  Nothing average about going to the playoffs consistently and playing in the SB.  The Redskins are a dumpster fire organization which rarely ever makes the playoffs and haven’t won a playoff game since 2005.  Excuse me for wanting a guy like Rivera who coached a 15-1 team to the Super Bowl and other 11/12

win seasons while being a highly respected coach who helped create a good culture.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

The nice thing about Rivera/Lewis is that their histories suggest the will run a tight ship. This team needs discipline. We’ve seen The positive effects of that even during Callahans failed stint

If Lewis comes with Jackson, no thanks. I’d like to see what O’Connell can do as OC without being handcuffed by old man Callahan. Hopefully most, if not all of the defensive staff follows Bruce out the door.

Archived