Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

If Bruce didn't tell Gruden about getting Alex not sure why Gruden is surprised about getting a text for Collins. I am okay with this. Bruce is going to go down with the sinking ship and will text Gruden that ship is sinking and might want to hold on to something. 

3. Redskins need to pay in-house stars before outside talent

...The message to players within Redskins Park continues to be that free agents will be duly compensated, but drafted talent can walk. One agent relayed that he literally prays his clients aren’t drafted by Washington because of how dysfunctional the organization is.

Not a ringing endorsement for Snyder and Co.

https://fansided.com/2019/03/18/nfl-free-agency-grades-power-rankings-draft/

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3. Redskins need to pay in-house stars before outside talent

...The message to players within Redskins Park continues to be that free agents will be duly compensated, but drafted talent can walk. One agent relayed that he literally prays his clients aren’t drafted by Washington because of how dysfunctional the organization is.

Not a ringing endorsement for Snyder and Co.

https://fansided.com/2019/03/18/nfl-free-agency-grades-power-rankings-draft/

Nope!  Hopefully, the end of the Allen era after 2019.  Sad we can't even extend our best player on the team.  Sad!  

11 hours ago, zskins said:

If Bruce didn't tell Gruden about getting Alex not sure why Gruden is surprised about getting a text for Collins. I am okay with this. Bruce is going to go down with the sinking ship and will text Gruden that ship is sinking and might want to hold on to something. 

Do y'all follow the Wizards?

All the Junkies do is make up stuff to get people like yall to listen. They want to turn you into sheeple without independent thought. 

The sooner you ignore their fake news and learn to judge for yourself without hearing what EB or Cakes or donkey has to say the better you will be psychologically. 

With Jay Gruden clearly a lame-duck coach. Did anyone else think he might be the best to come here? Who wants to work with Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder looking over their shoulder? Anyone with legitimate coaching credentials won't come here. We've lost out on coach, after coach, after coach--settling for the likes of Greg Manusky and Joe Barry. Sure we get good position coaches--but the coordinators and up we whiff on whenever there is anyone else interested.

The Prince of Darkness loves to go bargain shopping this time of year.  Signing Flowers is a real head scratcher.  Vinny is smiling this morning at this move by Allen.

They pay this struggling player too much money and pay him more than Adrian Peterson is getting paid to come back this year.

40 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

With Jay Gruden clearly a lame-duck coach. Did anyone else think he might be the best to come here? Who wants to work with Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder looking over their shoulder? Anyone with legitimate coaching credentials won't come here. We've lost out on coach, after coach, after coach--settling for the likes of Greg Manusky and Joe Barry. Sure we get good position coaches--but the coordinators and up we whiff on whenever there is anyone else interested.

IMO Bruce would have to be gone if they replace Jay and want to get a big name.  If Bruce stays I bet it ends up someone in house or its some Tampa connection drill.   IMO the problem here is Bruce's rep is fairly public.  He is not a football guy AND multiple people have said he's a power hungry douche.   I wondered why according to Paulsen there was some major rumblings in that FO after Lombardi exposed that Bruce wasn't involved with personnel decisions in Oakland.  Was Bruce selling behind the scenes that he was a key personnel architect in Oakland?  Does Bruce know that's the hit on him from some quarters that he's not a real personnel guy?  If Paulsen is right (if I recall Hoffman said the same thing) than Lombardi's shot hit home to some in the FO.  

I think its the double threat that makes this job so unattractive and that's before even delving into Dan.  For a coach with a big rep to come here and being told what to do by a non football guy who has a reputation of running over whomever challenges him and will try to slander you if and when you leave -- who is signing up for that?   Laconfora said in a couple of his radio segments that Bruce being here will keep the big names away.    

It's bad enough that Dan's reputation precedes him.  But Bruce adds a whole new dimension to it.  Like I've joked before its akin to getting a job on the Death Star where you don't just have to worry about the emperor but also have Darth Vadar in your face, too.   I think that's a bit too much.  So I don't think Dan can attract the Shanny, Marty types to this organization anymore.    Part of that is Bruce IMO.  The other part of it is the sample size has increased as for Dan's tenure and not in a hot way. 

It's one of the reasons why I keep stressing on this thread that Bruce leaving might be a huge deal.  That's not because i don't think Dan himself is a problem -- he clearly is a mega problem.  But Dan could at least in the past attract a big name head coach or personnel guy.  There was at least a little allure whether it was Dan's money or salesmanship or whatever.    Look at the Browns, when their off the wall owner finally brought in Dorsey, they seemed functional and attractive.  So if Dan gets his head out of the sand and replaces Bruce with someone competent and classy we might have some hope. 

With Bruce, he's kept some of Dan's worst instincts at bay.    But at the same time he's added a new component to the dysfunction that might be even more damaging to this franchise than Vinny was at least in terms of holding on to your fan base.  That is, Bruce IMO has created some damage with his politician power hungry smug image coupled with a dose of sleaze.    Vinny was a buffoon but came off likable.  Bruce is less the buffoon but has his public moments on that front too -- but adds a whole new component of making the organization look unlikable.  I think the last thing Dan needs is for his public face to come off as unlikable and out of touch as he comes off.   

Switching back to Jay.  Keim said on the radio today that from what he knows Jay has a hand setting up the FA board but Bruce calls the shots.  So in his mind Jay's frustration is likely a function of not always getting what he wants.    And that point doubles down on what I was saying yesterday.  This wouldn't even be a story if we had a John Dorsey type running the organization.  But when its Bruce in charge it is a story and for obvious reasons.  That's the other odd thing about keeping Bruce in the fold -- Bruce's image just lends to these type of stories.  For all those that say its an anti-Redskins bias by the media.  I think that's silly.  When Scot was in charge we got a lot of love.  When the dude at the helm is respected and liked it makes all the difference in the world as to the coverage you get. 

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

All the Junkies do is make up stuff to get people like yall to listen. They want to turn you into sheeple without independent thought. 

The sooner you ignore their fake news and learn to judge for yourself without hearing what EB or Cakes or donkey has to say the better you will be psychologically. 

Novel concept, but perhaps people exercise independent thought and that’s why rumors like EB’s don’t seem like a stretch.  The Junkies rarely even attempt to break any type of news, nor did they hype this up in order to get listeners.  It doesn't make it true, but it's laughable to act like this is some sort of scheme to gain listeners.  The last time one of the Junks 'broke' any sort of news it was that Alex Smith was in much worse shape than led to believe, and they were correct.

The last thing I think we need are phsychology tips from the guy that sleeps in a tub of bobble heads.  Chill.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Winning off the field update from NFL .com-- Elliot Harrison NFL Analyst at NFL.com has just updated the NFL Pecking order of teams 1- through 32 and the results are in for the Redskins-  RANKED 30th.  Our previous ranking was 28th.  

Who'd we rank ahead of?  ... I'm asking seriously...

People that are screaming to fire Bruce allen on here and the Jagoffs on ****ter with the #firebruceallen baffle me. They are either very young or very dumb, possibly a combination of Both. Im going to keep this short and sweet but we haven't had a successful GM around these parts since Charley Casserly in 1989, THATS RIGHT 1989! That also happens to be during a era when Dan Snyder did NOT own the team.

Anyone thinking bringing in a new GM is going to change the direction this team has sailed for the past 20+ years is delusional . Its not a GM issue its a owner issue, But am I really telling anyone something they don't already know ? ITS A SNYDER PROBLEM not a GM PROBLEM!!!!

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

People that are screaming to fire Bruce allen on here and the Jagoffs on ****ter with the #firebruceallen baffle me. They are either very young or very dumb, possibly a combination of Both. Im going to keep this short and sweet but we haven't had a successful GM around these parts since Charley Casserly in 1989, THATS RIGHT 1989! That also happens to be during a era when Dan Snyder did NOT own the team.

Anyone thinking bringing in a new GM is going to change the direction this team has sailed for the past 20+ years is delusional . Its not a GM issue its a owner issue, But am I really telling anyone something they don't already know ? ITS A SNYDER PROBLEM not a GM PROBLEM!!!!

giphy.gif

I can't really disagree with where the primary problem lies. But I'm not as hopeless as others...teams have won with ****ty owners. It happens. If you get someone strong enough to be the second-in-command, they can overcome a bad owner. 

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

"The message to players within Redskins Park continues to be that free agents will be duly compensated, but drafted talent can walk. "

Outside of Preston Smith and Jamison Crowder, I'm having one helluva hard time figuring out which draft picks the Skins were foolish not to extend over the last 9 years.

Not stirring any debate up, but no matter where your thoughts lie on Cousins, well, Cousins is the premier example.

It is amazing that Danny has tried pretty much everything.... except a traditional front office structure. 

There's always some caveat, something he is doing differently than the majority of the rest of the league.

Obviously it's worked like gangbusters!

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I actually forgot about him lol...

I did, too, I was just looking at it from a league perspective.  Crowder and Smith are unknowns out of their respective markets.  Cousins is the only one with any national attention wherein someone comes drafted from us and then goes somewhere else when they could've been reasonably signed at some point while performing well enough to earn an extension.

Again, this is neither an endorsement nor condemnation of Cousins, just an example that will resonate beyond the DMV and Minnesota.

If Scherff doesn't get extended, though, FML.

However, if you wanna get paid, then either come here or "leak" that we're in the running.

Yeah, Cousins is a good example, but that was also the trickiest one given his goal to hit FA and get guaranteed money. One-third of the way through his next contract, it certainly doesn't look foolish yet that we didn't pay him (just that we didn't get compensation for him which is a different matter). 

The narrative that we don't pay our deserved own is actually flat-out wrong under Bruce Allen (despite his other trillion weaknesses). Smith and Crowder may hurt, but we don't know that yet. I honestly can't think of someone we "let walk" that I regret at this point. And, on the other hand, we've gotten our studs between 2010-2018 locked into second contracts (Williams, Kerrigan, Reed). I actually regret more of those (Reed) than anyone outside of Cousins who got away. 

3 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

No doubt Snyder is the #1 problem.  But alas we are stuck with him.

IMO you only got two shots for success here.

A.  they get very lucky -- luck their way into a franchise QB

B. Dan for once finds a BFF who is actually competent and can bring out his best versus doubles down on some of his worst instincts.

Is it possible that Bruce gets canned and Dan hires Bruce-Vinny the sequel?  Sure, why not.  But I'd take my chances.

I think the article about the Browns success from ESPN can give some optimism.  The Browns owner is described even more hands on and loopier than some of the worst stories about Dan.  But in his process of going through all that dysfunction, he lucked out and landed on Dorsey.  And now some say they are SB contenders.  He hit some luck in the throes of dysfunction.  I don't see any luck falling on us with Bruce Allen as the GM.  Is he the #1 problem?  Nope.   Dan is.  But IMO your one shot at success is the Cleveland model where the owner stumbled on a dude who actually knows what he's doing.     The Browns owner I am sure is still as crazy than ever.  But he's got a dude running the ship who is ultra competent.  You can argue likewise Steinbrenner fell on some luck, too.   

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt Snyder is the #1 problem.  But alas we are stuck with him.

IMO you only got two shots for success here.

A.  they get very lucky -- luck their way into a franchise QB

B. Dan for once finds a BFF who is actually competent and can bring out his best versus doubles down on some of his worst instincts.

Is it possible that Bruce gets canned and Dan hires Bruce-Vinny the sequel?  Sure, why not.  But I'd take my chances.

I think the article about the Browns success from ESPN can give some optimism.  The Browns owner is described even more hands on and loopier than some of the worst stories about Dan.  But in his process of going through all that dysfunction, he lucked out and landed on Dorsey.  And now some say they are SB contenders.  He hit some luck in the throes of dysfunction.  I don't see any luck falling on us with Bruce Allen as the GM.  Is he the #1 problem?  Nope.   Dan is.  But IMO your one shot at success is the Cleveland model where the owner stumbled on a dude who actually knows what he's doing.     The Browns owner I am sure is still as crazy than ever.  But he's got a dude running the ship who is ultra competent.  You can argue likewise Steinbrenner fell on some luck, too.   

IF Bruce is fired the person to hire would be Schaffer to replace Allen.  I think he's a good person and would allow Kyle Smith to do his job as GM, I don't know where this would leave Doug Williams though.  We have to hire Smith as GM because he's sure to be gone in another year or two.

Archived