Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

This season could be a true dumpster fire and by the end of another non playoff season both players and coaches will be bailing out and also pointing fingers at the front office.  Local media will have a field day with all the behind the scenes stuff that will most likely come out after this regime is booted.  Meanwhile Teflon Allen and Snyder will remain in charge while they will continue their almost two decades record of poor decision making for this franchise.  The fans suffer the most in my opinion.  Coaches and players can move on by going to other teams and proving the Skins front office wrong.  Meanwhile the fans remain locked in this dysfunctional abyss waiting for the team to improve and hoping the off the field drama can just go away.

6 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

This season could be a true dumpster fire and by the end of another non playoff season both players and coaches will be bailing out and also pointing fingers at the front office.  Local media will have a field day with all the behind the scenes stuff that will most likely come out after this regime is booted.  Meanwhile Teflon Allen and Snyder will remain in charge while they will continue their almost two decades record of poor decision making for this franchise.  The fans suffer the most in my opinion.  Coaches and players can move on by going to other teams and proving the Skins front office wrong.  Meanwhile the fans remain locked in this dysfunctional abyss waiting for the team to improve and hoping the off the field drama can just go away.

What’s hope? I can count on two fingers the times that I’ve had hope since Snyder bought the team. I’ve honestly learned to go into the season with 0 expectations, though the dysfunction seems to spread into the offseason too. If Keenum some how survives with Ereck Flowers being part of his blindside protection, I’ll consider that a win

Just listened to Finlay's podcast, His take is Jay's job is in danger this season.   And if he is let go they will likely downgrade on him versus upgrade. His point is Jay is a master at playing the difficult personalities of that FO.  And the next dude probably won't have that skill.

Personally, I think if Bruce is telling Dan they are close and have a playoff roster, then Jay is likely a goner because I doubt they make the playoffs myself unless they have one heck of a draft. If Bruce stays IMO good luck attracting a big name or hot commodity type in that case. Laconfora among others have said Bruce being in that FO repels any big time personnel or coaching prospect from wanting to go there.  So I am betting it ends up O'Connell.

Fiinlay among other also goes Bruce's job is safe as long as securing the stadium is still being worked on.   Also (this is more Sheehan and Paulsen) Bruce knows fans don't like him.   But he is convinced and persuaded others that it's nothing personal against him. That is, fans are just voicing their frustration about how the season ended and Bruce has the big title hence he is the target. But once they start winning and they will do so this season - fans would be cool with Bruce. And fans will show up to the stadium and all will be right.

I don't get the idea that Bruce is helping with the new stadium. I don't see any sign of that whatsoever. Maybe when his brother was still governor, but those days are long gone. Today, all I see is areas pulling out. I remember back when Jack Kent Cooke finally decided to leave RFK, MD, VA, and DC were warring over who gets the 'skins. All three were salivating.

Empty stadiums and deteriorating fan bases and endless PR bungles go a long way towards reversing that.

Not sure where to post this so how about here.

Now that Preston Smith and Crowder were determined to be guys that were not "must re-sign" and Doctson is one more bad season away from being thrown out the door we can finally close the book on the Scott McCloughan Experience and label it a complete disaster. His drafts totally sucked and his free agent signings were even worse. Just put him with Marty, Coach Gibbs, Mike Shannahan and all the rest of accomplished football men who arrived at Redskins Park and suddenly became stupid. What's the common denominator in all of this? Daniel Snyder.

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Now that Preston Smith and Crowder were determined to be guys that were not "must re-sign" and Doctson is one more bad season away from being thrown out the door we can finally close the book on the Scott McCloughan Experience and label it a complete disaster. His drafts totally sucked and his free agent signings were even worse. Just put him with Marty, Coach Gibbs, Mike Shannahan and all the rest of accomplished football men who arrived at Redskins Park and suddenly became stupid. What's the common denominator in all of this? Daniel Snyder.

Not sure how Preston and Crowder reflect poorly on McCloughan. Both are very good players at their respective positions. Both demanded big salaries and good guaranteed money on the open market. We just didn't have the wiggle room financially to keep them. Neither one of them are busts, even if they are no longer in the roster. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Haha, good April fools!

I dont know why Jay puts up with it, he could have an O coordinator job immediately and be back in a head coaching position within a couple years.

Whats the point of staying if your a dead man walking, I cant imagine its a money thing at this point.

19 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Whats the point of staying if your a dead man walking, I cant imagine its a money thing at this point.

It's always a money thing.  Nobody wants to be labeled a quitter or leave millions on the table.  Plus all the jobs are filled.  

So you do the next best thing and leak nuggets to the media.

58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's always a money thing. 

I know that I wouldn't let a team run my name through the mud and make me look stupid for a few million dollars when I already made 20M over the past several years, its not like Jay spends his money, just look at the way he dresses.

8 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Not sure how Preston and Crowder reflect poorly on McCloughan. Both are very good players at their respective positions. Both demanded big salaries and good guaranteed money on the open market. We just didn't have the wiggle room financially to keep them. Neither one of them are busts, even if they are no longer in the roster. 

The point was these were supposed to be his 2 hits in 2 complete drafts other than a guard at 5 which was pretty close to a can't miss pick.  So if this is the best he did he didn't do very well.  Crowder never got better after a promising rookie season, in fact he regressed big time and has one OK season to show for his complete body of work here. To claim he was "very good" is just not supported by the facts.

Preston was pretty good, that's it. If he was a good player they would have made more of an attempt to sign him.  He just wasn't much more than "pretty good", there are probably 20 edge rushers in the league as good or better.  And again those guys were supposed to be his 2 hits other than Scherff which again was the safest pick possible and close to a near can't miss when you take a guard at 5.   And of course we haven't even discuss his free agent signing which were a complete disaster.

49 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I know that I wouldn't let a team run my name through the mud and make me look stupid for a few million dollars when I already made 20M over the past several years, its not like Jay spends his money, just look at the way he dresses.

I understand the thought process behind that but it's still easier said than done.  There is 10M dollars left on the table and no opportunities out there.  It's also not like he's currently some hot commodity that is guaranteed another head coach gig.  I'd just grin and bear it, drop my nuggets behind the scenes, and force Dan to pay me 5 mil to not work next season.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I understand the thought process behind that but it's still easier said than done.  There is 10M dollars left on the table and no opportunities out there.  It's also not like he's currently some hot commodity that is guaranteed another head coach gig.  I'd just grin and bear it, drop my nuggets behind the scenes, and force Dan to pay me 5 mil to not work next season.

I forgot there was $10M left, was thinking it was just one year.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:18 AM, Burgold said:

I don't get the idea that Bruce is helping with the new stadium. I don't see any sign of that whatsoever. Maybe when his brother was still governor, but those days are long gone. Today, all I see is areas pulling out. I remember back when Jack Kent Cooke finally decided to leave RFK, MD, VA, and DC were warring over who gets the 'skins. All three were salivating.

Empty stadiums and deteriorating fan bases and endless PR bungles go a long way towards reversing that.

This is why Snyder will give Louis Riddick complete control after this season. Regardless of whether he's the most qualified (he may be), Riddick is polished, well known and highly respected. He's the perfect face of an organization, and that means politically too. You think DC political types want to talk to Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder? Come on. Send Riddick in there and Snyder will end up with a new stadium and maybe even another theme park. 

And the football might get better too.

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's always a money thing.  Nobody wants to be labeled a quitter or leave millions on the table.  Plus all the jobs are filled.  

So you do the next best thing and leak nuggets to the media.

See Spurrier, Steve...

Say what you want, and as a Gator it pains me, but he was horrible, realized it, and walked away from $15M.

To part of the point below "no one likes to talk about them."    Craig Hoffman talked about this in a podcast which is at the owners meetings it wasn't hard to see that unlike how they congregated around other teams -- the national reporters had little interest to talk to the Redskins brass and that's a change from the past.   As I mentioned on this thread before GMF ran a segment about why they talk so much about some teams but not others because of viewer interest.  The two teams they had fun with as to yeah we can talk about for example these two teams (mocking the idea of them being examples of teams no one cares about) but who would watch?  Those two teams being the Titans and the Redskins.

During Dan's tenure he's made a team that was once considered one of the classiest and more competently run organizations to the opposite of that.  But I admit I didn't think he had it in him to also made the team nationally mostly irrelevant.  This is one of the big contributions from Bruce IMO. 

With Dan and Vinny messing with personnel -- they had at least some oomph and excitement in the mix of dysfunction.   And they had some star power.  So this new version of Dan's dysfunctional operation is essentially dysfunction + mediocrity + lack of pizzaz.  And that combination had damaged his brand it seems even more than the previous version which was dysfunction with pizzaz.

Archived