Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Getting Brown would be more Redskins comedy. Pay the dude close to 20M and watch Alex Smith rolling around in his wheelchair on the sideline while Colt plays 2 or 3 games before he is issued his own wheelchair, then random Tampa scrubs start for the rest of the year. Brown ends up with 900 yards and 3 Tds for the season.

Maybe we'd "almost" make the playoffs again by going 5-11.

Speaking of Tampa scrub Qbs, why haven't we heard that the Redskins are going after Winston? Our first for Winston would be the perfect trade to wind down the Bruce Allen decade.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Getting Brown would be more Redskins comedy. Pay the dude close to 20M and watch Alex Smith rolling around in his wheelchair on the sideline while Colt plays 2 or 3 games before he is issued his own wheelchair, then random Tampa scrubs start for the rest of the year. Brown ends up with 900 yards and 3 Tds for the season.

Maybe we'd "almost" make the playoffs again by going 5-11.

Speaking of Tampa scrub Qbs, why haven't we heard that the Redskins are going after Winston? Our first for Winston would be the perfect trade to wind down the Bruce Allen decade.

I would laugh if it wasn't so painfully true!

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t think the team is in any position to pick up Brown, financially or culturally.  The guy is already at 17M APY and wants even more.  That should be a hard pass for most every team, particularly the Redskins.  I can’t even see how they could swing bringing him in here.  However, I can see them thinking a name like Brown is just what the doctor ordered in hopes to fill seats.  

For record keeping purposes, I don’t think a deal is likely and lean towards value not being completely revealed with current QB setup. My point was I’d be more open to move if Smith were healthy and onboard, as he’s a well respected QB very much for his ability to form solid relationships with his teammates. His leadership approach is of we are in it together and more 1 to 1 discourse. Just my opinion Brown would appreciate that kind of dynamic, most anyone would, especially today’s athlete/human.

Now, in no way implying Big Bens methods are incorrect or wrong, just a different approach that can bring the best out of some or lead to severing ties. Operating more in the extremes. The organization has chosen to empower their QB to status as well, so not just on Ben. 

By all accounts, Alex is a great guy.  Same with Colt.  But neither guy has the ability to force feed the ego and hands of a guy like Brown.  While there would be no worry of a guy like Alex or Colt airing him out in the press, the issue would be their inability to air him out on the field.  

No way to know truly, but I see where Brown is coming from on treatment from QB and organization. The dude is a lock hall of Famer getting called out in the media for his route running.  Whether he’s gone off deep end and will become a malcontent with next organization, who knows and that carries a lot of risk for organization trading for him. 

With that said, I think he’s a guy who will age well and continue to produce in his early to mid 30s.

@wit33 You’ll get no argument from me on Brown’s talent level.  Just from what I’ve seen and heard of him, over the last year or so, he’s a real pain in the ass.  As Larry Fitzgerald said publicly, he doesn’t think Brown recognizes how good he has it, “it’s tough out here” in regards to pairing with a QB that can deliver the ball.  Guys like Alex Smith and Colt can exhibit leadership and professionalism all they want, but the moment they aren’t delivering the ball to his liking, watch out.  Which is highly likely to occur given their ability as passers.  In all honesty, I’m not sure a guy like Brown wouldn’t have problems with a Tom Brady or Pat Mahomes.

I think this was written by a Redskins fan!  😂

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2019?page=1

NFL's Best Coaches 2019 

20. Jay Gruden
Career Record: 35-44-1 (.444)
With The Redskins Since: 2014
Last Year’s Ranking: 19

Jay Gruden is the NFL’s most middle-of-the-road coach. Somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 every season, he is neither good enough nor bad enough to generate much debate outside of local talk radio. When things go south — as they did in the second half of 2018 — Gruden always has a plausible explanation. Injuries gutted the squad, the roster isn’t good enough because the owner and general manager don’t know what they are doing, etc. etc. Neither of those annual excuses are false. Redskins coaches are set up to fail by Daniel Snyder’s meddling and Bruce Allen’s utter cluelessness. But at some point, Gruden will have to rise above his handicaps if he is to keep his job in one of the league’s toughest environments. Since that is unlikely — Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan could manage all of one playoff victory under Snyder — Gruden and his reasonably effective system will probably soon be fired and find work as an offensive coordinator. He is, after all, a man who not only knows Sean McVay, but hired him.

They have Gruden probably at the right ranking spot.  It has not been easy to make sense out of chaos at Redskins Park.  He will end up as an offensive coordinator in 2020 just like Norv did when he left the Redskins.   Skins need a demanding Head Coach with no non-sense approach and has no need to be liked by the players.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, CRobi21 said:

I heard we could get him for a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd.  That's peanuts for a former top 10 draft pick on his rookie contract.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:14 AM, bakedtater1 said:

It's gonna be a 3rd and j Norman.

The Josh Norman part of the deal makes it worth it.

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

I was thinking wr ..y no on wr?..is it our **** house luck with picking wr's?

Thats why I don't want one.  We need one but we sure as shoot can't draft them :lol: 

2 34 Washington Redskins Devin Thomas  WR Michigan State Big Ten from Oakland via Atlanta[R2 - 1]
  2 48 Washington Redskins Fred Davis  TE USC Pac-10 from Houston via Atlanta[R2 - 6]
  2 51 Washington Redskins Malcolm Kelly  WR Oklahoma

Big 12

I still have PTSD

Listening to Sheehan's podcast, that's the 2nd time I've heard that Dan Snyder's son is a great guy and has it together.  Sheehan joked with Loverro that it might be what saves this franchise eventually sort of like what is kind of happening in Dallas with Stephen Jones where people have said Stephen has calmed Jerry's wildest tendencies down and is becoming the defacto guy in charge. 

Thinking about it George Steinbrenner's kids are night and day different from George.  I guess something to look forward to in like 20 years, maybe?  😀

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I think this was written by a Redskins fan!  😂

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2019?page=1

NFL's Best Coaches 2019 

20. Jay Gruden
Career Record: 35-44-1 (.444)
With The Redskins Since: 2014
Last Year’s Ranking: 19

Jay Gruden is the NFL’s most middle-of-the-road coach. Somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 every season, he is neither good enough nor bad enough to generate much debate outside of local talk radio. When things go south — as they did in the second half of 2018 — Gruden always has a plausible explanation. Injuries gutted the squad, the roster isn’t good enough because the owner and general manager don’t know what they are doing, etc. etc. Neither of those annual excuses are false. Redskins coaches are set up to fail by Daniel Snyder’s meddling and Bruce Allen’s utter cluelessness. But at some point, Gruden will have to rise above his handicaps if he is to keep his job in one of the league’s toughest environments. Since that is unlikely — Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan could manage all of one playoff victory under Snyder — Gruden and his reasonably effective system will probably soon be fired and find work as an offensive coordinator. He is, after all, a man who not only knows Sean McVay, but hired him.

Always having a solid reason for having a season go south is why I call Gruden a Norv.  If you remember, Norv's team had critical injuries in 1996 (Raymer was the starter until mid season, Westbrook albeit he always had injury issues for example).  In 1998, the team was in limbo.  One failed season due to bad luck is understandable and a bit excusable, but more than that?

2 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Thats why I don't want one.  We need one but we sure as shoot can't draft them :lol: 

2 34 Washington Redskins Devin Thomas  WR Michigan State Big Ten from Oakland via Atlanta[R2 - 1]
  2 48 Washington Redskins Fred Davis  TE USC Pac-10 from Houston via Atlanta[R2 - 6]
  2 51 Washington Redskins Malcolm Kelly  WR Oklahoma

Big 12

I still have PTSD

Last time we picked a WR who played up to (in this case, beyond) expectations of a first round WR was 1980.  You want PTSD on the WR? I think you have to go to the supplemental draft in 1985 to find the last time we really hit at WR with a high pick (Gary Clark selected in 1985 supplemental draft with 1986 2).

Top Pick receivers since I've been a Redskin fan:

Spreyer (never played for us)

Monk (HOF 'nuf said)

Clark (this one worked!)

Murray (didn't hurt as much because Clark)

Howard (good return guy I guess)

Westbrook (OK, if he'd been a 3rd or later, you might argue he had a decent career)

Gardner (OK, he did have 1 good year)

Jacobs (good practice guy, don't know why he can't get on the field)

Devin Thomas (Jordy Nelson was available, makes it worse)

Fred Davis (D-Jax was available, makes it terrible)

Malcom Kelly (Injury issues were well known at draft time and probably could have picked him up as a UDFA or a late-round flyer.  If we really wanted a TE, Bennett was available, not great but had a much better career )

Docston (if he was a 4 or a 5 round guy, his performance so far would be acceptable)

Didn’t it come out at some point that Swearinger and Norman were at each other’s throats and causing a bit of a divide in the secondary? Pretty sure I read that from one of the inside guys at one point. So I couldn’t see Norman being packaged in a deal for Rosen. Maybe for AB but not for Rosen

18 hours ago, Redskinzfan30 said:

Didn’t it come out at some point that Swearinger and Norman were at each other’s throats and causing a bit of a divide in the secondary? Pretty sure I read that from one of the inside guys at one point. So I couldn’t see Norman being packaged in a deal for Rosen. Maybe for AB but not for Rosen

I don't remember anything about 24 and 36 having a tiff...if so, I guess that wouldn't work sending 24 to the desert.

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Sheehan's podcast, that's the 2nd time I've heard that Dan Snyder's son is a great guy and has it together.  Sheehan joked with Loverro that it might be what saves this franchise eventually sort of like what is kind of happening in Dallas with Stephen Jones where people have said Stephen has calmed Jerry's wildest tendencies down and is becoming the defacto guy in charge. 

Thinking about it George Steinbrenner's kids are night and day different from George.  I guess something to look forward to in like 20 years, maybe?  😀

How old is his son? 

Archived