Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Some buzz about Alex being the guy as for twitter discussion, I noticed.  And I know the dude loves golf.  If the putt putt game is one of Dan's demands, Alex might intrigue him.  Alex also seemed very buddy like with Dan in a number of pregames.  Bruce to me is the politician version of the cool guy -- so there is some phoniness to it.  Alex on the other hand is a legitimate cool dude. 

9 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Maybe it is Doug 😲.

If Doug is named GM, wow.  Just speechless.  While I should be used to Snyder, this would be such an underwhelming move.  While firing BA itself is a plus, settling for Doug as gm is a negative move.  Two steps forward, one step back.

That being said, I'll believe all of this when I see it.  I'm guessing bruce's firing is not imminent.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And I know the dude loves golf. 

It's so sad, but this is probably one of the main things Snyder is looking for.   Do they play golf?  Will they agree with everything I say?  Will they not leave my side during social events?  

Nevermind being able to build a football team, that's just overrated anyway.

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It's so sad, but this is probably one of the main things Snyder is looking for.   Do they play golf?  Will they agree with everything I say?  Will they not leave my side during social events?  

So true. If it wasn't, he wouldn't be wrestling with this decision -- he would have fired Bruce years ago. But little Danny needs his blankie and is so afraid of going to bed without it.

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Honestly...he couldn't do any worse than Bruce Allen. Still a no, but just sayin'.

Well yeah, but that's not the point. A moldy spud given just the barest hint of sentience couldn't do any worse than Bruce Allen, but that's doesn't change the clear protocol I want to see Snyder follow in this process in order to gain even a hint of hope or trust back from this apathetic fan. 

I pay this Alex Smith stuff no mind.  It feels like it came out of thin air.  Like somebody somewhere threw it out there and people decided it didnt sound too bad.  But there's no evidence that it's ever a thing that real football people ever considered.  Or that Alex would even be interested.

19 hours ago, nonniey said:

If we could get him to come back the value of that would be more than the likely value we could get from trading him (figure a 3rd and with a lower pick is the most we'll get at this point).

He is a year older and didn't play this year and was already struggling with injuries. Should have just traded him when they had the chance. Now is the perfect time to move him. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I pay this Alex Smith stuff no mind.  It feels like it came out of thin air.  Like somebody somewhere threw it out there and people decided it didnt sound too bad.  But there's no evidence that it's ever a thing that real football people ever considered.  Or that Alex would even be interested.

Yeah, maybe find a place for him to groom as an eventual GM but not yet. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Whomever this is, they've been wrong before

The first problem with this is referencing reports that nobody has heard of.  lol  

Having said that Bruce needs to be gone prior to the end of the season just because they can't get to Black Monday fumbling and stumbling around with Bruce still here.  They got a LOT of work to do and the sooner they get to it, the better.  We'll wind up with whoever's left for GM and coach rather than the top candidates.

4 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Agreed......I truly believe Alex Smith provides value to the organization but its not as our starting QB or GM.  

I agree, he provides a constant reminder of why Bruce Allen needs to be fired and that has value, for now.

16 minutes ago, Alexa said:

He is a year older and didn't play this year and was already struggling with injuries. Should have just traded him when they had the chance. Now is the perfect time to move him. 

You just made my point for me. Last year was the time to trade him - we missed the boat in 2019 (due to ineptitude in the front office)  and thus 2020 would most certainly not be the perfect time to trade him. We may have to trade him for cents on the dollar but if the choice is between cents on the dollar and him playing for us the latter would be preferable (If we get fortunate enough to have that choice - which is doubtful). 

So entertaining the thought of alex smith as gm, what would that do to our salary cap?

Obviously he'd have to retire to take a position as g.m.

Would that eliminate his cap charge?

Would there be any questions as to the manor in which we were able to shed so much cap charge and still pay smith a huge sum of money in the process?

I'm curious if anyone knows because I dont think it's ever happened. 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

They filmed the Bengals sideline under the guise of doing a video series like NFL films. Basically spy gate 2.0. If it’s true Bellichick will be banned for life.

Yes. I'm sure they had a guy in their wearing a Pats shirt as a spy only to scout the worst team in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yes. I'm sure they had a guy in their wearing a Pats shirt as a spy only to scout the worst team in the NFL.

new coaching staff. Probably one of the only ones they don’t have film on. I doubt bellichick ever coaches again. This thing is blowing up pretty big. They were done filming their cover story before the game then proceeded to record the Bengals signals for the entire first quarter. NFL security was alerted and confiscated the footage. In the first spy gate the advance scouts were told to claim they were filming for Kraft Productions for a web series. The exact excuse they used here. It’s absolutely over for bill if the footage is of the Bengals sideline. He will and should get a lifetime ban.  Or even worse be forced to run and coach the Redskins...

Sure Alex Smith os a legitimate cool dude and I wouldn't expect him to embarrass us like Bruce used to.

That being said, I'm not sure I would welcome the move. It could help on the salary cap issue, but other than that what are his garantees as GM? Right now, I would say now.

And if we're supposed to go this road of ex-player turned GM, then there's one name that is on top of my head. I wouldn't be happy at all if he did get the job, but the hiring would check many cases:

- Ex Redskins player.

- Redskins fan.

- Analyst for the NFL

- Expressed his will to work in a FO some day.

- Knows Dan Snyder and plays golf I believe.

- Would be some kind of splashy move as well.

Name?

DeAngelo Hall.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Explain? What scandal?

Apparently Belacheck was caught  stealing the Bengals playbook this past Sunday during the Bengals and whomever they lost to's game.  He was caught on camera red handed. Just go to the 08:14 mark of the first quarter of that game and you can clearly see him coming out of one of the equipment bags grabbing the book and running for the exit. 

Archived