Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

15 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Gave me a good chuckle BFS was parading around asking where the “defenders” were when we were 0-5.

My only regret is making you so angry, it prompted you to come out of the shadows to bless us with your takes - that ebb and flows whichever direction that could lead you to believe you've 'won' an argument.  While I disagree with some posters here, they at least own their positions.  You, on the other hand, will waffle, twist words, cherry pick, revision history, and stop at no bounds to 'win' an argument in your own mind.  And then have the audacity to be snarky and frame it to where your opposition is the one concerned with 'being right'. 

I've been over it time and time again, but being right about the organizational ineptitude of the Redskins doesn't scratch any itches for me.  I'd much prefer to be watching inspiring football. 

What you fail to grasp about me and those that view the organization the same way I do, is that we can and do separate the Redskins from Dan and Bruce.  For whatever reason you conflate Dan and Bruce with the Redskins.  For example, the 'Sell the Team' beer - that's not a shot at Trent Williams, or Jon Allen, or Daron Payne.  That's a direct shot to the owner.  The owner that has chosen to run his business in a way that negatively impacts the 'Redskins' I think of like the coaches and players I do like.

What I also find incredibly hypocritical, is that I've been labeled a Jay guy or a Kirk lover or whatever else in the past.  But I was sticking up for and defending those guys when they were actually Redskins!  While many of the more homerific fans here were taking a dump all over them.  Everyone here chooses their targets when it comes to the team failing.  Some target everybody that breathes, some target coaches, some target coaches and players, some target Dan and Bruce, some target the fans (🤣).  But the bottom line is, every fan here has targets for their ire when it comes to the team not being very good.  For whatever reason, I'm the bad guy because I choose to blame the two men that directly impact everyone below them that have to eat **** for their bosses ineptitude.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My only regret is making you so angry, it prompted you to come out of the shadows to bless us with your takes - that ebb and flows whichever direction that could lead you to believe you've 'won' an argument.  While I disagree with some posters here, they at least own their positions.  You, on the other hand, will waffle, twist words, cherry pick, revision history, and stop at no bounds to 'win' an argument in your own mind.  And then have the audacity to be snarky and frame it to where your opposition is the one concerned with 'being right'. 

You throw this out there a lot, but I have yet to really see point out anything concrete that I “waffle” on. I remember vividly a big long post from TSO talking about organizational accountability, hiring the best football person and giving him full autonomy, etc. And I remember saying I agreed with it, cause I do. But guess what! That doesn’t mean I can’t like a lot of what Bruce brought to the table or have to jump to every side of an argument to make him or the FO and overall organization look as incompetent as possible. It doesn’t mean that Kirk can’t own some of the responsibility for squeezing his way out of here or wasn’t as good as the stat sheet looked. It doesn’t mean Alex Smith doesn’t bring a lot of value in ways that don’t fill the stat sheet just cause Bruce traded for him and let Kirk walk. It doesn’t mean Trent shouldn’t share some culpability for how things went down. It doesn’t mean signing Rueben Foster was the dumbest thing ever.  It doesn’t mean a lot of things in the media arent overblown. It doesn’t mean Jay shouldn’t be judged for his own wrongdoings. I can go on and on and on. 

I've been over it time and time again, but being right about the organizational ineptitude of the Redskins doesn't scratch any itches for me.  I'd much prefer to be watching inspiring football. 

Here’s the irony, it’s YOU (and many others) that want to be so “right” about the organizational ineptitude that it steers your fandom the way it does. I don’t really care to be right one way or another, hell I’m here to tell you at 1-8 I was far from right that this regime was heading for continued success. 

What you fail to grasp about me and those that view the organization the same way I do, is that we can and do separate the Redskins from Dan and Bruce.  For whatever reason you conflate Dan and Bruce with the Redskins.  For example, the 'Sell the Team' beer - that's not a shot at Trent Williams, or Jon Allen, or Daron Payne.  That's a direct shot to the owner.  The owner that has chosen to run his business in a way that negatively impacts the 'Redskins' I think of like the coaches and players I do like.

Dude I don’t know how many times I need to break it down for you, but it has nothing to do with who it’s a shot at. It has to do with you (and many others) deciding to dedicate your fandom and all of your energy to hating certain individuals rather than focusing that energy on supporting the team. You don’t think players in today’s day and age don’t see all of the negativity? Wonder why no one comes out? I mean our own players even comment on it, and have gone as far to say they prefer to play on the road. That’s just sad. Sure a sell the team IPA isn’t a shot at Daron Payne directly, but it feeds into this perpetual negativity pit that trickles all the way down to the current players who had NOTHING to do with Dan and this franchise’s ineptitude before them. Brew a bring the Payne beer or something that actually makes the guys who go out their and fight show we appreciate them. Now that’d be cool.

What I also find incredibly hypocritical, is that I've been labeled a Jay guy or a Kirk lover or whatever else in the past.  But I was sticking up for and defending those guys when they were actually Redskins!  While many of the more homerific fans here were taking a dump all over them. 

You were those things, but only because you had a desire to be “right” about organizational ineptitude. 

Everyone here chooses their targets when it comes to the team failing.  Some target everybody that breathes, some target coaches, some target coaches and players, some target Dan and Bruce, some target the fans (🤣).  But the bottom line is, every fan here has targets for their ire when it comes to the team not being very good.  For whatever reason, I'm the bad guy because I choose to blame the two men that directly impact everyone below them that have to eat **** for their bosses ineptitude.

The fans aren’t to blame for anything other than being bad fans. Though I do maintain a more positive and vibrant fan base would enable the home field advantage we used to have and could have a tangible effect on the motivation of the team and players performing well at home. Though that is not quantifiable and I won’t begin to go there. And no, you’re the bad guy because EVERYTHING you say is tainted with a preconceived notion and your very own confirmation bias. Don’t sit here and pretend you were hated on for showing support for Kirk the QB of the Washington Redskins. You were hated on for propping Kirk up and distorting his value in an effort to be right about organizational ineptitude. Maybe one day you’ll see that, but not holding my breath. 

4 hours ago, hailer21 said:

Switch the decades and the sentiment is exactly the same, if not a little worse. Yeah, Snyder has tamed a bit from 2000s but the dysfunction has sustained into the 2010s. 20 years of embarrassing PR, poor results, weird roster decisions, zero accountability...you know the rest. 

There is a pattern of poo since he's owned the team and folks like myself have concluded there is no reason to root for his team because it represents something entirely different than what was rooted for prior to his ownership. The nail in the coffin is I see ZERO signs that he has the competence to break his own pattern of dysfunction. 

If you wipe your memory of all prior snafus and go into each season thinking "this could be our year", I can see how you'd be confused as to why seemingly so many fans were down/checked out of a team that started out 6-3 last year. I just dont think that way though - maybe you do?

Now, last year's start was a little fraudulent because the plodding offense wasn't competitive against teams that could score so that team probably would've led nowhere had it made the playoffs with a healthy Alex Smith BUT I wasn't worried about that, not one bit! I was confident the 20 year Snyder pattern would play itself out. 

Coming into that season, the team was fresh off the Kirk fiasco. The team got nothing for a decent QB while paying top dollar for his services. Year before that was kicked off by the SMC fiasco. Before that you had the RG3 fiasco, and the stupid pattern goes on and on.

I've checked out of rooting for wins because I'm convinced no one wins with Snyder at the helm and the only way I see the pattern breaking is he sells the team. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen soooooo I've decided to just check out in the meantime.

I meant the question from the vantage point, “what would the narrative be if this were 2009 and not 2019.” Not just switch the regimes with the same results stacked on top in a different order.

Sorry to hear you’ve checked out and no longer root for wins.

The Knicks are a good analogy.  It feels somewhat hopeless because the owner comes off clueless.  Similar here.

I am far from a positive guy about what I think of Dan-Bruce.  Although they are plenty of people who think they are worse than I do. 😀  I am one of the few here that don't feel despair in that it will never change.  It's likely the nature of what I do for a living -- I've seen change happen if enough people are dissatisfied and voice it.  So I greatly admire the dude who crafted the new beer, and the guy that spent almost $2000 to fly a banner over Hard Rock Stadium.  That's passion.  And its well channeled passion IMO if you are unhappy with how your favorite team is run  and instead of sitting on your butt you are willing to at least try to do something about it. 

Hey our country was founded by people who had the balls to stand up and do some rabble rousing and make noise.  Granted sports involves way much lower stakes to say the least than the typical historical event 😀  but to me the same principle applies which is your only shot to get change is to rankle the decision makers -- not coddle them and celebrate their small victories.  Every organization makes good decisions.   The question is on the aggregate do you think they make more good decisions than bad?  On the field and off the field.  And I get anyone who is skeptical that change could happen here.  They might be right.  But it's worth at least a shot IMO.   😀

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

You throw this out there a lot, but I have yet to really see point out anything concrete that I “waffle” on.

The most recent example, would be how brash you were in the Trent thread that Bruce was going to work out a trade, for at least a 1st, before the trade deadline and that if it didn't happen - yadda yadda yadda.  So the trade deadline came and went, we got nothing but a disgruntled Trent on our hands, and your responses to that are a whole bunch of words about Trent, and very few about Bruce.  There are many, many more and I promise you that I'm not the only one who sees it regularly.

Here’s the irony, it’s YOU (and many others) that want to be so “right” about the organizational ineptitude that it steers your fandom the way it does. I don’t really care to be right one way or another, hell I’m here to tell you at 1-8 I was far from right that this regime was heading for continued success. 

This is another one of your favorite things to do - pretend to be some forum shrink who can determine what motivates people you only know as text on a screen.  It's by far one of the strangest things I've gathered about you as a poster.

Dude I don’t know how many times I need to break it down for you, but it has nothing to do with who it’s a shot at. It has to do with you (and many others) deciding to dedicate your fandom and all of your energy to hating certain individuals rather than focusing that energy on supporting the team. You don’t think players in today’s day and age don’t see all of the negativity? Wonder why no one comes out? I mean our own players even comment on it, and have gone as far to say they prefer to play on the road. That’s just sad. Sure a sell the team IPA isn’t a shot at Daron Payne directly, but it feeds into this perpetual negativity pit that trickles all the way down to the current players who had NOTHING to do with Dan and this franchise’s ineptitude before them. Brew a bring the Payne beer or something that actually makes the guys who go out their and fight show we appreciate them. Now that’d be cool.

This is professional football, where guys get paid a lot of money to play football and I'm sure sleep just fine at night.  I'd also imagine he's smart enough to know that 'Sell the Team' means exactly that, Dan Snyder should sell the team to someone capable of providing guys like Daron Payne a top notch place to make a lot of money playing football.

You were those things, but only because you had a desire to be “right” about organizational ineptitude. 

Again, with the forum shrink BS.  How much you care about my perceived desire to be right is so incredibly strange. 

The fans aren’t to blame for anything other than being bad fans. Though I do maintain a more positive and vibrant fan base would enable the home field advantage we used to have and could have a tangible effect on the motivation of the team and players performing well at home. Though that is not quantifiable and I won’t begin to go there. And no, you’re the bad guy because EVERYTHING you say is tainted with a preconceived notion and your very own confirmation bias. Don’t sit here and pretend you were hated on for showing support for Kirk the QB of the Washington Redskins. You were hated on for propping Kirk up and distorting his value in an effort to be right about organizational ineptitude. Maybe one day you’ll see that, but not holding my breath. 

Again, it always ties back to what you think motivates me.  Which again, is incredibly strange.  To everyone else who has read this, my apologies - if I had ever known that my posts would prompt this goof to start posting and follow me around, I would have toned it down years ago.

EDIT: And my god, wouldn't it just be the cherry on top for HCZ to apply haha reaction to my post.  Dude just cannot help himself.  It would be funny, if it weren't so sad and borderline scary.

20 hours ago, London Kev said:

I've often wondered, did you misspell Brixton, or does Brixtion mean something else?

It's the state of being Brixton. Brixtion, like complexion, he is Brixton in thought, word, deed.

Like me, insouciant, you can describe my fanhood as "take-a-flying-leap-dan&bruce-tion."

Ive read it all. Let’s compare flying a fire Bruce Allen banner to the founders of our country taking a stand. 

And BFS never change my dude. I’ve commented a few times now it’s time for a change and it’s driven primarily that Bruce didn’t learn from his previous mistake of not adequately reading a situation and capitalizing on a major asset. That’s not good GM’ing. We’re also 1-8 and a fresh face and some goodwill with the fan base is sorely needed. I’ve probably made what, 10-15 posts total since the deadline? And some of them have commented that Trent is acting a fool in this situation. Once again, doesn’t contradict that Bruce screwed the pooch or take away that I’ve acknowledged a change is needed. Not. Hard. To. Understand. 

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To everyone else who has read this, my apologies - if I had ever known that my posts would prompt this goof to start posting and follow me around, I would have toned it down years ago.

No need for apologies. I believe you say what a lot of us think, I just don't have the energy to engage in it.

29 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Ive read it all. Let’s compare flying a fire Bruce Allen banner to the founders of our country taking a stand. 

Yeah because that's what I said just like that.  ;)

Many of your points rallies around 2 ideas.

A.  Bruce and Dan aren't as bad as we think they are.  Your intensity and style on that point changes by week.  But it's the variation of the same thing.  If let's say the Redskins win three in a row, you'd be the first one here telling people I told you so.  If he does something so blatantly bad that even you can't defend it -- then its you are out on Bruce but you pepper the comments with reasons for why you supported him and he is not bad as we think.  Rinse and repeat.

B.  You and those that think like you are the good fans.  And those who don't are the bad fans.  It's some form or another of you propping your position where its not just that your position is "right" but you also own some weird moral superior position for having that stance, too.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this point?  Change the nature of Redskins fans so they are more like you?  If that's the case IMO you'd have a better shot at it if you were less combative and chill like you claim yourself to be.  ;)     In my own terms, I'd debate you any day of the week about who is a better fan me or you.  But that's from my perspective and from my world.  That's not a fact.  I don't define myself as a better fan than anyone.  IMO it's a silly debate.   Everyone can be a fan in anyway that pleases them.  Heck as much as I disagree with you on various subjects -- I got no issues with how you are as a fan even though I personally don't rock that way.   

38 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Then forget the banner. What needs to happen is a group of people dumping Coors Light into the Potomac... 🤣

@Skinsinparadise

I have no idea how you read the last few posts of mine and come up with point A. I simply agreed with @wit33 take that it’s very interesting people don’t remember we are a year removed from reaching average levels of competency. You wouldn’t know it. And also the fact the tone on here is remarkably the same as last year at this time with a 5 game difference in the W column.

Point B seems to hit home for you. Sure it’s my opinion, but our own players agree with me. Numerous of them. I admire the hell out of browns and bills fans for example, they support their guys, don’t focus all their energy in dumping on the organization. To each their own.

48 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

@Skinsinparadise

I have no idea how you read the last few posts of mine and come up with point A. I simply agreed with @wit33 take that it’s very interesting people don’t remember we are a year removed from reaching average levels of competency. You wouldn’t know it. And also the fact the tone on here is remarkably the same as last year at this time with a 5 game difference in the W column.

That point again centers on something "good" that was being done coupled with surprise why people are upset.  That seems to be a theme with you.   It's not just that post but its a variation of that in post after post.   And you also tend to like posts of that same theme.

Your takes more or less centers on some variation of people here are Chicken Little when its really not that bad.  And your version of that story changes in intensity from time to time.  But it's still mostly that.  Often with a pro FO angle sometimes loud and sometimes more subtle. 

And I got no problem with the position but all the tactics and tone behind it.  And I don't feel like repeating it because that sets off another personal style spitting match.  I'll just mention one tactic -- that is providing deniability and covering all sides of an argument by agreeing to a macro point from time to time but then as you do it, you often hit a bunch of micro points hard (pro FO typically) that contradict or weaken said macro point.  

Lets take @wit33 specifically since you brought him up.    I've debated him plenty including on this issue.  He though sticks to his position and when he waffles he flat out says he's waffling.  I know what am debating.   He doesn't zig or zag much, there is usually no acrimony, he doesn't prop himself up as superior for having the position he does.  And the dude can even repeat my position and have a good handle on it and respect it.  And we can go back and forth and very rarely blow up at each other.   

48 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Point B seems to hit home for you. Sure it’s my opinion, but our own players agree with me. Numerous of them. I admire the hell out of browns and bills fans for example, they support their guys, don’t focus all their energy in dumping on the organization. To each their own.

Your point though wasn't all about booing players.  Josh Norman who had led the chorus on that subject from what I've heard despises Bruce.  Clearly other players do, too.  I really doubt that players would take criticism directed at Bruce as a personal affront themselves.   It's not exactly a league secret that Dan and Bruce are considered to be laughingstocks beyond just the DMV.  The players aren't stupid.  They get it.  I actually agree with Norman's point as to booing.  I don't boo any player.  

Otherwise, I can't help being somewhat of a pollyanna and probably a bit naive (but we all got to cling to something for hope 😀) that someday Dan will wake up and change the way he goes about business.  And yes for that to happen I do think the house has to blow up so to speak and hit rock bottom with fans.  To try and make that happen, you can't just stay quiet and endorse it all IMO.  

My personal take is Bruce and Dan would love to celebrate the victories in the mix of their decisions to justify what they do.  It's not hard to see that it's exactly what they do based on the occasional public appearance Bruce makes.   So yes i don't think the fans who likewise tout hey they got this right and that right and make a big deal about that as part of the soup -- are better fans and helping the greater good of the franchise.  Still, my take on that is purely opinion not fact.  To each their own.   Being a fan is about enjoying it IMO on your own terms -- its whatever floats your boat. 

So, if the Skins can pull off saving the year on Trent's contract and he still has 2 years left you'd have to think he'll be more attractive to teams in a trade right? Did Bruce know what he was doing all along? I have no desire to give Bruce any credit whatsoever but the more info that comes out on this the more I can see how this got personal and ugly. Here's hoping Bruce can still turn TW into a 1st round pick at the minimum come this offseason. That being said, we still need to fire him. 

This idea that some fans can separate the team from Dan Snyder is so flawed and is why bad owners can survive.  Dan is the redskins, if you support the skins your supporting Dan.

If a KKK member bought the team, would you go around supporting the skins, wearing gear, saying I root for the skins not the owner, I would hope not!

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

So, if the Skins can pull off saving the year on Trent's contract and he still has 2 years left you'd have to think he'll be more attractive to teams in a trade right? Did Bruce know what he was doing all along? I have no desire to give Bruce any credit whatsoever but the more info that comes out on this the more I can see how this got personal and ugly. Here's hoping Bruce can still turn TW into a 1st round pick at the minimum come this offseason. That being said, we still need to fire him. 

Hahaha, please, TW gets to count a year on his contract because of this decision by Bruce.  You dont get to unilaterally declare a guy "unable to play" who has reported and then decide not to pay him, AND keep him from accruing a year.  The CBA wasnt negotiated by the worlds biggest idiots, just minor idiots.  This has been reported already by multiple beat writers and outlets.

Bruce Allen, what a man.  Single handedly trying to outdo the Titanic.

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Here's hoping Bruce can still turn TW into a 1st round pick at the minimum come this offseason. 

You can dream.

The whole NFL knows two things:

- Trent doesn't want to play for us again.

- We do not intend to play him again. 

Since we're not gonna be able to stash him without paying him, as NFLPA would sue the team quite fast. Trent Williams won't stay in the dog house for long. Up until the offseason then we'll have to release him or trade him for not much because that situation cannot last for long for both the team and the player.

Honestly, His trade value is taking nosedive right now... Those that may look for a LT will consider about picking one during the draft over trading for TW.

So, yeah, you can dream...

19 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

@Skinsinparadise

I see this point enough that I feel like I should bring up the elephant in the room.

The roster was propped up by Adrian Peterson and Alex Smith (and injury prone players).

Once the injuries started piling up (Reed, Davis, Smith, Lauvao, Moses, Williams, Moses, Williams, Thompson, Roullier, Moses, etc. etc. etc. and this isn't even touching the defensive side of the ball) the season went down the tubes. 

Now, what can you glean from this information?

A few things...

1) Adrian Peterson was vital to the success of the team.

2) Alex Smith was an underrated part of the offense, but he and Peterson alone weren't going to prop up the roster once all the injuries continued to pile up. I'm kind of on an island with this thought. And that's okay with me. But if you're going to debate this point, please for the love of God don't pretend like I'm saying Smith was playing some inspiring level of football. I think his leadership ability and minimization of mistakes helped this team. 

3) The team relies on injury prone players across the board. O/D/Special Teams.

Point three is the biggest issue.

The team has some talent on paper. But it does not have the most important ability out there... avail. These guys are always down. And it hurts. Building a team that way is a major mistake. And it continues year after year.

Also, I don't think you know many Browns/Bills fans.

I live 2.5 hours from Cleveland. An hour from Buffalo. They dump on their teams all the time. Relentlessly at times. They just continue to cheer... Browns fans are livid with Kitchens.

I don't know exactly where to put this, but I thought it was interesting if true

For example, one source told The Athletic the pro personnel department now has more say than previously under Gruden. This includes choosing street free agents for workouts, choosing which players to sign for the practice squad and the 53-man roster.

https://theathletic.com/1361457/2019/11/08/four-downs-who-runs-the-redskins-roster-trent-williams-and-the-alabama-alumni/

17 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I don't know exactly where to put this, but I thought it was interesting if true

Just read the article.  Standig I've heard is one of the few close reporters to Bruce.  Bruce gave him actually an exclusive once.  He's really the only reporter who has defended Bruce's stance on Trent -- not totally 100% but he's certainly the kindest on it.  So I take him some with a grain of salt.  I just read that article.  It's a bit meandering.   It says that the FO has more say in street FA's signed during the season now -- suggesting Jay was more involved and pushed more of that in season.   I presume that's meant as a slam to Jay but actually to me its somewhat complimentary, I haven't had issues for the most part with street FAs -- its been the off season moves in FA that have bothered me  Not that I've disliked all the FA moves.  Some I've certainly liked.  But on the aggregate IMO "meh".

Standig also included this odd shot in Callahan in the mix.  So is it anti-Jay, anti-Callahan, pro FO, tough to get a good read on it?  His main point was questioning that Callahan has more say as to in season signings than Jay did.  I don't really care one way or another.  But to play devil's advocate to his point -- them signing a blocking TE and a FB recently feels very Callahan.  But I guess perhaps Callahan didn't have specific players he wanted for those positions so the FO just made those calls with no input from Callahan?

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.44.02 AM.png

Archived