Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, bakedtater1 said:

Something about the way Daniel is walking on to the field..in that photo..like he has something...(not making a joke about cancer)...he looks like he has a disease or cancer or something..I mean besides walking like hes had a stick up his ass something is weird about that pic of him

Well, you must realize, that Bruce Allen's head is up there, to a depth that he helps Dan with swallowing. The reason why he is walking strange is because Bruce has to hang on to Dan's front thighs for balance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

Regardless of what most of us think of Snyder as an owner and a person, I have actually heard some people- mostly ex players- say good things about him. I have NEVER heard ANYONE say anything good about Bruce Allen, neither personally or professionally.

And you never will either.

He made a mess in Oakland, went to Tampa and made a bigger mess, and then he came to DC and has made an even bigger mess. He refuses to pay vets what they deserve, you need look no further than our own ex players who have went to other teams. He honestly, truly disgusts me. The things I wish that would happen to him I cannot type; I prefer not to be banned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

Regardless of what most of us think of Snyder as an owner and a person, I have actually heard some people- mostly ex players- say good things about him.

If wants to pay me several million dollars more than I'm worth (which in my case would be several million+$20), then Id say plenty of good things about him, too.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If wants to pay me several million dollars more than I'm worth (which would be $several million+20), then Id say plenty of good things about him, too.

Yup. 

I used to buy into the idea that what these guys say about him means something, but I no longer do. 

I can’t say I know for sure where Snyder’s influence begins and ends in terms of Bruce’s decision-making, but it’s hard for me to care about those details anymore. He is the sole authority on Bruce, directly in charge of assessing Bruce’s role. If Bruce is awful at his job, that is as direct a reflection of Dan as it gets. If Bruce creates a million enemies, that is a direct reflection of Dan’s standing with them, as well. There is no in between. No added link in that chain. 

Just because said enemies don’t recognize it as such means nothing. Dan is not imprisoned or oppressed by Bruce, a fact borne simply by the definition of their respective titles. He can present as good a face to them as possible and it’s ultimately an empty action if his right hand man is doing the opposite. End of story. 

A part of me suspects Dan has gotten really good at playing the role of good cop within the building. He’s learned not to openly show his disdain or true feelings towards anyone so it can’t be construed as coming from him, but he does so with Bruce exclusively. When people say “Dan has changed for the better”, that’s what I really think has been the biggest change for him. And I think that occurred after the 2013 PR war with the Shanahan’s. 

So when we hear Scot, Jay, Kirk, Trent, etc... praise Dan that’s what it is to me more than anything else. He’s learned how to effectively maneuver within the building diplomatically. And that, in turn, has an effect on the media because they’re not going to get anything negative from the inside other than “Bruce did this or did that”. 

I sincerely hope I’m dead wrong about that. I’m hoping it’s more like what @Skinsinparadise often presents, that there’s a chance Dan lucks out with a better executive who’ll give him better advice and he’ll listen. The version of Dan that gets posited where he’s just socially incompetent and beholden to his drinking buddy, so if that guy is more competent it’ll automatically be better. I honestly hate that it’s hard for me to buy into that version of him on multiple levels, because it’s about the last remainder of hope we have. 😕 

I know if Bruce is gone and someone who, at least on the surface, is a qualified candidate gets hired to that role, I’ll be excited. I’ll hope for the best and that Dan will allow him to fulfill his role to the best of his abilities. But all the above is definitely going to be nagging at the back of my mind the entire time.

Still, it’ll be a huge step if ALL he does is hire someone qualified and who’s been part of a successful program recently.

He’s literally NEVER done that. It’s amazing, really. The two longest tenured execs he’s had in Vinny and Bruce were both out of the NFL at the time AND had failed at their previous stints. Like, that’s pretty damn impressive when you think about it. How does that even happen? 

The other guy hired at GM and supposedly given final say in Scot was out of the league for his personal problems, but at least he was successful elsewhere. 

And then you have the coaches he gives final say to like Gibbs and Shanny, which pretty much NEVER works in the NFL. If it does, they usually have an equally competent GM working side by side with them (Caroll and Schneider in Seattle). Or they’re Belichick and the Pats and lucked out on drafting the greatest QB of all time in the 6th round who even gives them cap discounts so they can spend elsewhere. 

So, yeah, one can hope that happens. It would be a legitimate change in terms of the hiring process, at the very least. 

• Like 7
43 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yup. 

I used to buy into the idea that what these guys say about him means something, but I no longer do. 

I can’t say I know for sure where Snyder’s influence begins and ends in terms of Bruce’s decision-making, but it’s hard for me to care about those details anymore. He is the sole authority on Bruce, directly in charge of assessing Bruce’s role. If Bruce is awful at his job, that is as direct a reflection of Dan as it gets. If Bruce creates a million enemies, that is a direct reflection of Dan’s standing with them, as well. There is no in between. No added link in that chain. 

Agree.  Every now and then I've been challenged by a Dan critic or two about my focus on Bruce where their takeaway is its somewhat a backhanded complement of Dan since I am shifting in that process the attention away from him.  I never saw it that way.  And, I actually do subscribe to the idea that Bruce does plenty on his own without interference from Dan.   I do think Dan still interferes some.  But I think Bruce does plenty on his own.  Really everyone who has covered the team has said the same.  Maybe they are all being fooled but my gut is they aren't.   Yet, to me none of that makes Dan look better.  In my mind it makes him look worse.  

If I ran with the Bruce is a just a puppet of Dan, it would in my mind prop up Dan a little because it implies he might be actually good at hiring some good lieutenants and he at least understands that it matters who is shopping for the groceries -- but if he could only get out of their way, we'd be fine.   My theory is he's a train wreck on his own.  And he doesn't know how to make good FO hires either and understand the concept of how to build a winning FO.

Sheehan likes to say (others have said the same) Dan tells people hey people wanted for me to be hands off and trust a GM and let them do their thing and that's exactly what am doing yet they are still unhappy.  To me if true that narrative is nauseating.  A casual Redskins fan who is 10 years old could tell that Bruce isn't the ideal representative of this team -- but Dan is lost and doesn't get it?  He can't see his own flaws but can't see flaws in others too? Or he likes to hang with someone who is more socially competent yet doubles down on many of his same flaws?  Anyway you cut it IMO its pathetic.

Sheehan likes to say that Irsay is a terrible owner too and suggests its apples to apples to Dan.   I disagree because while Irsay as an individual has issues he still knows how to hire good front office people.  And that makes a world of difference IMO.   Dan is a lost puppy on that front.  The nicest explanation I can give him is he's just plain stupid and naive.  The worst would be he'd rather have a GM who will be his BFF and stroke his ego versus win.  

43 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

He’s literally NEVER done that. It’s amazing, really. The two longest tenured execs he’s had in Vinny and Bruce were both out of the NFL at the time AND had failed at their previous stints. Like, that’s pretty damn impressive when you think about it. How does that even happen? 

His legacy on this front is almost surreal.  Dan as an owner is a mega punchline.  But to arguably also have the two biggest GM punchlines in the NFL in the last 20 years -- that's hard to do.  I think at this point Bruce has easily surpassed Vinny as a national punch line.  If you told me that would happen when Vinny was canned, I'd think you'd be crazy.   Ditto that Redskin fans in twitter-radio polls would overwhelmingly said they'd prefer Vinny over Bruce -- wow.   And yeah that's all on Dan.  As Bruce's friend, Chris Cooley likes to say, do fans really expect Bruce to fire himself or elevate others power wise over himself -- would we?  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

This is classic

https://sports.yahoo.com/dc-area-brewery-takes-shot-at-dan-snyder-with-new-sell-the-team-ipa-190253273.html

A brewery in Virginia has had enough of Washington owner Dan Snyder. With Washington sitting at 1-8, Harpers Ferry Brewing is sending a clear message to Snyder with its new “Sell The Team” IPA.

[Watch live NFL games on the Yahoo Sports app, here's how]

Harpers Ferry Brewing is pulling no punches with the beer, which the company describes as “bitter and slightly disappointing like a trip to fedex [sic] field”

So Harpers Ferry Brewing in Purcellville is releasing a “Sell the Team” IPA

View image on Twitter

While drinking a beer described as “slightly disappointing” may not appeal to everyone, you won’t need to consume many before you no longer care. At 9.5 percent alcohol by volume, one or two “Sell The Team” IPA will be enough to make you forget about another horrific Washington loss.

Fans of the team have a right to be angry. Washington is set to miss the playoffs for its fourth straight season. The team hasn’t advanced past the wild-card game since 2005. On top of that, Snyder routinely ranks high on various “worst owners in sports” lists.

Angering local sports fans is always a risky proposition. The fact that Harpers Ferry Brewing believes it can make a profit on this beer says a lot about how Washington fans feel about the team right now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Which NFL Teams' Fans Drink the Most?

Fans of the Oakland Raiders came in first as the heaviest drinkers. With Raiders fans drinking an average of 3 drinks in one sitting on a non-game day and 3.5 drinks on average in one sitting on a game-day, they out-drink any other team in the NFL. Following the Oakland Raiders are the Los Angeles Chargers and the Washington Redskins.

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

Which NFL Teams' Fans Drink the Most?

Fans of the Oakland Raiders came in first as the heaviest drinkers. With Raiders fans drinking an average of 3 drinks in one sitting on a non-game day and 3.5 drinks on average in one sitting on a game-day, they out-drink any other team in the NFL. Following the Oakland Raiders are the Los Angeles Chargers and the Washington Redskins.

Dan Snyder once gave Jerry Jones advice on losing: 'Drink a lot'

“Well, he called me one time (when) we were having a tough time of it,” Jones said during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan (via Sports Bog). “And he said ‘Now don’t take this wrong. You know how much I respect you.’ But he said ‘I’ve got some advice for you.’

“And I kind of rolled my eyes on the other end of the phone, thought well here goes. And he said ‘Drink a lot.’ ”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dan-snyder-once-gave-jerry-jones-advice-on-losing-drink-a-lot/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Getting trolled by the Philly media now

Harpers Ferry Brewing in Northern Virginia has 'Sell The Team' IPA to troll Redskins owner Dan Snyder

The reasons to not like the Redskins are innumerable. One thing Eagles fans can all agree on is that so long as Dan Snyder continues to own the Redskins, the team will continue to stink, which is great.

Redskins fans understand this. They hate Snyder as much (if not more) as Eagles fans love him. You don’t have to look hard online to find a website hocking T-shirts/sweatshirts/coffee mugs/infant onesies emblazoned with the words “Sell The Team” in burgundy and gold.

Now a brewery in Northern Virginia has jumped into the fray. Wednesday, Harpers Ferry Brewing of Hillsboro, Virginia, will release "Sell The Team" IPA. Hilarious enough on its own, and the brewery’s write-up of its latest concoction takes it to another level:

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Will they ship it to you?

I want at least a case. Finally somebody decided to market the disfunction as I've been asking for over a decade.

@BatteredFanSyndrome if you go there, tell them they can start a bonanza type of business if they started shipping that stuff.  Geez on this board alone and from what I've seen on twitter they'd sell thousands.  😀

Talk about fighting fire with fire if we can ruffle some feathers with the weapon of beer. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Last I was there, they only had cans of their most popular brew.  But this could become that.  A buddy of mine knows the owners, I’ll say something to him about it.

They just got an article from Philly of all places.  I bet it would go national.  Some of the local media hasn't caught on yet but when they do I think it would explode.  Guys like Chad Dukes would buy cases of it just from the PR stunt alone.

37 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Or BFS might get volunteered into making some mail runs so we can all try it. :ols::cheers:

If they end up canning it, I’ll def pick some up and share.  I’m going to stop in Friday after work and give it a try myself.  

For anyone anywhere in the vicinity, this place has tremendous views overlooking the Shenandoah meeting the Potomac, great food and the beer has been getting better over time.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Can anyone else see into the future, as we acquire the number one pick, Brucifer stands before his subjects and proudly announces, how this season was a necessary part to finish his master plan “it means you’re close” and the future is bright. He will lie and take credit for this terrible season and spin it to look like he has a clue. Please Bruce...look into the mirror and just go away. 

We all know Dan has had his share of **** ups over the years. But I'm inclined to believe that Dan is under a spell. 

download.jpg.2dfb584a9f6583969d809a8f2f74eaf9.jpg

For all intents and purposes, Bruce seems to be the most powerful guy in the building. I really think he's got incredible leverage with the Stadium deal and basically the relationships he's probably fostered with political leaders, other GMs and agents. I think Dan is in a pickle if he remotely moves to fire or even demote Bruce. Because Dan is not very good with people, he's probably depended on Bruce. Fail!

• TK locked this topic