Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Kevin Sheehan on Team 980 radio this morning predicted that Allen will leave after the season ends.  He believes hiring Callahan was his last ditch attempt

to turn the season around to prove to the Danny that last season at 6-3 was no fluke.   Last year Sheehan predicted Allen would be gone at the end of that

season. So it remains to be seen if someone in the Redskins organization has tipped him off or whether he is just guessing.

55 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Kevin Sheehan on Team 980 radio this morning predicted that Allen will leave after the season ends.  He believes hiring Callahan was his last ditch attempt

to turn the season around to prove to the Danny that last season at 6-3 was no fluke.   Last year Sheehan predicted Allen would be gone at the end of that

season. So it remains to be seen if someone in the Redskins organization has tipped him off or whether he is just guessing.

Yep, he also said talking to ex-players they actually liked Vinny but don't like Bruce.  He said (I've heard others say the same) Vinny was incompetent but most said he was a nice guy.

Sheehan though doubled down that Dan uses Bruce as a crutch socially.   Dan's uncomfortable in social settings and Bruce becomes his guy in those settings. 

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

worth posting 

"I think when you try to put logic into an illogical front office, you're gonna get in a lot of trouble," Lombardi told The Sports Junkies Tuesday.

"And that's really the reality of it," Lombardi said. "They think they're smarter than everybody else, certainly the president does, they think they know what's better than everybody else in football, and because you punted at Richmond you have a great sense of understanding what happens in football."

Redskins team president Bruce Allen was the punter at the University of Richmond in the 1970s. 

"I don't put anything behind them that tells me that they actually know what they're doing. There's no track record that says, this is really, we have faith," Lombardi continues. 

In the former NFL executive's eyes, there are five principles that owner Daniel Snyder should follow, the first being common sense. But for the Redskins, "they lack common sense, they lack the ability to create stability because there's such dysfunction, even though we heard from the president that he said, 'Hey, we have a great culture.' Right? No," Lombardi said. "Believe in the right people? Which obviously, he believes in the wrong people. Preserve the pride. Well, he's eliminated the pride of the team, right? And care more than anyone.... and the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. And what he's done to the Redskins fans is he's created them to be indifferent.

"And so he violates all five principles that an owner should do. So when you ask a question based on logic, just refer to those five," Lombardi said.  

When asked to get in the mind of Allen to analyze a decision, Lombardi refuted the premise of the question because he doesn't see the Redskins as logical actors.

"Again, you're in an illogical world. This is truly the twilight zone," he said of the Redskins. "You've stepped over into the zone and you're just gonna keep asking questions that are based on logic and you can't do that in an illogical world. I'm sure at 1-8 they all think they're winning."

"You can't make this up."

So what chance do Redskins fans have of seeing change? Lombardi told The Junkies: Only if fear conquers reason.

"The only chance you have as a Redskins fan is if Dan thinks he's gonna go broke and he's gotta make changes," Lombardi said on 106.7 The Fan. "(But) he's never going broke! He's making more money than he's ever made. And the scoreboard is insignificant to his pocketbook."

How would Lombardi turn it around? Re-build the program from top to bottom.

"

You're gonna have to re-build the program because it is so toxic. Because, look, they've listened to the president for how long spew his knowledge of football. You have to de-program people," he said. "I think you gotta rebuild the entire organization. This is not just a football problem, this is an institutional problem within the walls out at Ashburn. And until they get that fixed it's never really gonna matter." 

32 minutes ago, FrFan said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWoJoCZXjduF_qajq9OgL

I dont think its about hooking up a friend as much as..."Hey, I got to spend 80 hours a week with these guys and lead 60+ guys on Sunday's... communication is going to be key. I'll hire who I know I can work with."

Im not excusing it, but just giving it a different perspective.

God I cant wait for this year to end

4 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

I dont think its about hooking up a friend as much as..."Hey, I got to spend 80 hours a week with these guys and lead 60+ guys on Sunday's... communication is going to be key. I'll hire who I know I can work with."

Im not excusing it, but just giving it a different perspective.

Not to mention, it's a lot like every other industry, where friends hire friends.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's just how it is with damn near every line of work.

I was listening to the Junkies today and one of them said they heard from a listener that Dan is working with a firm to look at selling the team.  The listener said a friend of his worked for the outfit that helps business people sell big companies.  As the Junkies said, it sounds too good to be true but it's fun to hope. 

Starting this week, Redskins fans can get inebriated off the dream of Dan Snyder relinquishing his 1-8 football team with Harpers Ferry Brewing's "Sell The Team!" IPA.

"Tomorrow will be the release of Sell The Team!" the Purcellville, Va.-based brewer writes in a Facebook post promoting its new offering. "This double west coast IPA finished at 9.5% to get you through another dreadful Sunday. Bitter and slightly disappointing like a day at fedex field!"

At publication time, Harpers Ferry Brewing's post had been shared over 160 times. Jesse Powell, Director of Brewing Operations for Harpers Ferry Brewing, is a lifelong Redskins fan, whose basement has burgundy walls and gold ceilings, but stopped attending games after witnessing Robert Griffin III tear his ACL in Washington's loss to Seattle in the 2012 Wild Card round.

"The last game I went to is when he blew his knee out against the Seahawks in the playoff game," Powell told 106.7 The Fan. "Wasted a bunch of money on that and never went back."

"Basement has burgundy walls, gold ceilings, but I will not step foot in FedEx Field ever again," he said. "I've flown to Dallas to watch games there before I go to FedEx Field."

As for their 'Sell The Team!' brew, which will be available on site starting Wednesday, Powell said, "We just basically tried to go for the biggest bitter double IPA that we can go for."

"It finished at 9.5 percent," he added, "so hopefully you can't remember the game on Sunday."

Under normal circumstances, describing your own beer as "bitter and slightly disappointing" might not be the most sound business judgment. 'Sell The Team!' is still a good beer, Powell assures, but it has its own layer of Redskins dysfunction baked into it. Harpers Ferry Brewing went with a West Coast IPA, a less fashionable style of brew in the beer community at the moment.

"The West Coast IPAs nowadays, they're not mind-blowing like how they used to be," said Powell. "It's like the New England IPAs are really the trend now, so we kind of went with 'slightly disappointing' because it's not what's really trending nowadays in the beer community. It's still a really good beer, but it was just kind of a little shot that I could take at the Redskins."

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I also heard what EB said on the Junks this morning, Dan and Bruce also have their houses on the market so maybe there is something going on here.

One can only hope.

Probably looking to buy bigger houses.

Fascinating how this team and 1-8 record is being paraded around as if it’s been the norm the previous 4 years— the team was in contention for the playoffs until the end of seasons. We all know the story, but easily could’ve been a back to back playoff appearances with a Giants week 17 victory. Last year even the most staunchest detractors admit Smith being healthy would’ve had the team in contention in the later weeks. I’m not claiming great ness here, just average to above as far as the win column goes. 

For example, my Raider buddy is geeked about being in playoff contention going into week 10, my Colts friend at work has enjoyed being above average and in the thick of the AFC South race, My Carolina Panthers neighbor skips while getting his mail, and the waiter a Buffalo Wild Wings who wears an Eagles jersey remains hopeful the season could lead to a playoff spot. 

(This has been the Skins life for the previous 4 years, yes average to above in some weeks, but in the race with reason to watch). 

Im in support a change is needed in the FO this year, but I can’t get behind Dan has been a complete idiot to give Gruden and Bruce the last 3 years. I also won’t argue any fan who says that the current FO and Gruden were unable to get past being average and that being enough reason for change.  For me, last year was the end all be all, so I do believe this year was wasted. A new vision and path should’ve been created last off season. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan though doubled down that Dan uses Bruce as a crutch socially.   Dan's uncomfortable in social settings and Bruce becomes his guy in those settings. 

I've always thought this. Good piece came out in 2013 from Mike Freeman's book about Bruce Allen screaming at the 2012 NFL owners meeting regarding the 36 million cap penalty. It's believed that Allen was screaming as a proxy to Dan. One owner who remained anonymous witnessed the 5'3 Snyder “gleefully swiveling back and forth in a chair that practically enveloped him, at times smiling widely.”

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to the Junkies today and one of them said they heard from a listener that Dan is working with a firm to look at selling the team.  The listener said a friend of his worked for the outfit that helps business people sell big companies.  As the Junkies said, it sounds too good to be true but it's fun to hope. 

I don't see this happening. Even with the sagging attendance (bottom 5) and being one of the worst if not the worst team in the NFL, Dan is still making money. Owning an NFL team is idiot proof when it comes to making $$$

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Fascinating how this team and 1-8 record is being paraded around as if it’s been the norm the previous 4 years—

Not really fascinating at all IMO.  Dan has run this team for 20 years.  The peak of consistency is 2 seasons that were 9-7, 8-7-1.  Otherwise he's never had two winning seasons in a row.  Only 2 playoff wins.  Been the bottom dwelling team more than any other in the division. Never more than 10 wins and even reaching 10 is a unicorn season.  Not a lot to celebrate.    

But for some of us the operative point is (in our point of view) he's had the same losing front office structure this whole time.  It's not about Bruce Allen in a vacuum.  It's about Dan doesn't do the I'll get a top chef to shop for my groceries drill.     Now it bothers people here it seems for different reasons.  For some they think that Dan is the defacto GM and Bruce is his cover.  For others its that Dan would rather have a buddy-politician in charge than the best at what they do.  Some see it as a combo.   That reality is depressing enough.

Yet, the kicker for some of us are these two things.

A.  This organization comes off slimy.  We aren't the good guys anymore like the 80s.  It's fashionable to dislike the Redskins because the perception of Dan and Bruce and how they roll.  As Sheehan likes to say this organization likes to take the low road. 

B.  The we are close narrative seems to be the mantra for Dan's years.  It's not just this year.   You mention the Raiders.  They traded players for picks last year.  One of those trades brought Jacobs who is looking like a super star.  They hired a well known draft geek to run personnel.  All very different than how this team has rolled.   

We've had to endure both an owner who if you google him you'd find a gazillion articles about how he's the worst owner in sports.  And if you google Vinny or Bruce both were the biggest punching bags in the league during their respective times.  Other teams have had at least an owner change once in that 20 year span and or GM changes where the GM du jour wasn't a national punch line.  We are swimming in unique waters.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I also heard what EB said on the Junks this morning, Dan and Bruce also have their houses on the market so maybe there is something going on here.

One can only hope.

As for Junkies they said if some off chance its true, it would be as big or maybe even bigger than winning a SB.  I agree.  😀

I get all the cynicism that Dan will never sell.   My gut is the same.  The one thing that is unique though right now is the stadium looming.  The reports from Liz Clark, Loverro and Snider who are covering it in their own ways -- give me the impression that its not going to be easy and might not even happen.  Finlay thinks it does happen and soon but he hasn't giving any details on it.

If they are convinced that the attendance decline is somewhat tied to the stadium/stadium location and in turn they can't secure a stadium then what next?  I talked on this thread that I had one conversation with Lafemina back during his time there and in that discussion he admitted they can't fully fix their attendance problem without a new stadium.

It's one thing for the junks to jump out there with 'Jay wanted to cut/trade AP' and stuff like that...

It's a whole 'nother thing to drop a dime that Dan could potentially put the team up for sale.  That's just mean - planting those thoughts into our heads.  I also think it would be easy for said firm to tie back who leaked that out there as well.  I'm sure very few people would be privy to such information and that it would welcome litigation for leaking it.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's one thing for the junks to jump out there with 'Jay wanted to cut/trade AP' and stuff like that...

It's a whole 'nother thing to drop a dime that Dan could potentially put the team up for sale.  That's just mean - planting those thoughts into our heads.  I also think it would be easy for said firm to tie back who leaked that out there as well.  I'm sure very few people would be privy to such information and that it would welcome litigation for leaking it.

It is a fantasy but a fun one for me.  I do think the stadium issue looms large and the only wild chance he sells or bolts to a new city pertains to how that unfolds.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

It is a fantasy but a fun one for me.  I do think the stadium issue looms large and the only wild chance he sells or bolts to a new city pertains to how that unfolds.

Of course, and I feel like after all we've endured with Dan, we deserve something like this as fans.  Something that could rejuvenate and unify the fan base.  I believe Dan selling the team would generate more interest than a few years of playoff runs.  

Archived