Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense - From Weakness to Strength to Weakness to etc...

goskins10

The issue right now is that while the defense has improved overall, there isn't any "light's out" aspect to either the pass rush or the secondary.  Before Jonathan Allen & Iaonnidas went out, this pass rush was different.  They were pushing the line and getting home, collapsing the pocket.  Hell, Allen was already being double-teamed as a rookie.

The secondary, even with Norman is not shored up quite yet. Breeland is so hot & cold.  Sometimes his coverage is good, but he can't seem to make plays to break up passes even when he has good position.  

When the pass rush is not making the QB uncomfortable it's leaving the secondary on islands to have to cover too long.  Those deep passes Keenum was throwing today were passes that get picked off if they are made under duress. They were slow floating and took forever to come down.  The problem is when they were thrown the WRs were open by over 5 yards.  

This defense can't be expected to be a dominant unit just because they have shown improvement in some areas. It's like they almost look worse in the fan's eyes now because they have showed some potential, then when everyone expected them to be bad going into the season.  The defense has to get good before they can get very good, and eventually great.

Gotta give credit to Minnesota, they've got a good oline and some good pieces around them... very solid team.  

Told my buddy they seemed to be just a bad matchup for our defense (especially missing Allen/Ioannidas).  Here's hoping we find another impact lineman in the offseason.  

as I've said a few times, it turns out Keenum has only been sacked five times all year so  lack of pass rush wa understandable.

Otherwise the big issue is just the Vikings seemed faster.  That's a problem that; hard to solve when you encounter it, but how often do you encounter it?

Injuries. You don't get a pass rush, the secondary suffers. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I cant quite remember being so disappointed in the defense, and I've been absolutely disgusted with them for years.

No more threads praising a player, unit, coach, anything ever again.  Not until they put up several outstanding performances in a row.

Strong username to post ratio. 

i think we really missed montae nicholson today, he has shown some amazing range, and some of those moonball shots that Keenum took maybe could have been blown up or picked with a healthy montae nicholson, but who knows, Thielan and Diggs made Norman look like David Amerson today

24 minutes ago, Destino said:

Anyone have access to stats that track big plays allowed?  I'd love to see where the Redskins defense ranks in 20 or 25 yard pass plays allowed, for example. 

I couldn't find an exact number, but i could find a ranking. This will not include today so I am sure it will get worse. They rank defense against specific WRs - WR1, WR2, WR3, TE and RB, Then they rank the team in terms of direction (in terms of the offense) and finally deep passes. Deep passes are passes that go 16 or more yards in the air - kind of arbitrary, but it's what I could find. 

In general the Redskins have been pretty decent against the Wrs, ranking 4th, 6th, and 6th respectively. However they are 29th against TEs and 21st against WRs. You would think they would be good on the outside and poor up the middle but not so much. They are 14th to the left and 24th to the right but are 4th up the middle. 

In terms of deep balls they are 11th overall - again a position I would expect to be worse when today numbers are added. Again the right side  (left side of the D) is getting torched -  If I count right they are 30th in defending the deep ball from the offenses right side, our left. 

Hall looked lost today. Breeland and Norman looked almost as bad. This may have been Normans worst game as a Redskin. Maybe it was an assignment thing. I don't know. We will find out next week. There also was almost no pressure on Keenum. He had all day most of the day. It doesn't get any easier.  

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

When the pass rush is not making the QB uncomfortable it's leaving the secondary on islands to have to cover too long.  Those deep passes Keenum was throwing today were passes that get picked off if they are made under duress. They were slow floating and took forever to come down.  The problem is when they were thrown the WRs were open by over 5 yards.  

This defense can't be expected to be a dominant unit just because they have shown improvement in some areas. It's like they almost look worse in the fan's eyes now because they have showed some potential, then when everyone expected them to be bad going into the season.  The defense has to get good before they can get very good, and eventually great.

Even in the Seahawks game, there were WRs getting into huge holes in the secondary; luckily there weren't a lot of them.

I think the Vikings WRs and coaching staff saw this and focused a lot on getting those looks and taking advantage of them. It surprised me to see Norman get schooled like that, so often. I think it was Everett who was getting abused out there as well, and I get that, but Breeland and Norman? They looked like 8th rnd rookies.

13 hours ago, carex said:

as I've said a few times, it turns out Keenum has only been sacked five times all year so  lack of pass rush wa understandable.

Otherwise the big issue is just the Vikings seemed faster.  That's a problem that; hard to solve when you encounter it, but how often do you encounter it?

And The Skins seemed sluggish.  As a dude on Twitter pointed out to me, the Vikings were coming off their Bye (and it showed).  They looked like a much fresher team, which isn't surprising.  Maybe that Seattle game sapped the team's energy.

11 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Minnesota might be the most physical offense the 'Skins have played so far. Combine that with Swearinger saying the defense had horrible practices almost the entire week?  Maybe they weren't mentally prepared for the dog fight?

And that's a bad matchup to catch right after as physical a Road Game as Seattle.  The Defense's lack of mental focus did lead to some jarring results on The Field though.

But look: the Vikings are a tough Opponent.  There's no shame in being beaten by the best team in the NFC North.  And while that's easily the worst day the Defense has had all season, the Vikings weren't exactly lights out either - we did hand 30 Points around their neck.

I know The Team lost.  But they had enough pride to come back and put the ballgame in doubt going into the closing minutes (against as strong an Opponent as Minnesota, while The Defense was having its worst day).  That showed me something, because this one looked like it was over at Halftime.

I stand by this: The Redskins are a good team!  Even a game that seemed like a blowout...wasn't.

These Redskins ain't without their flaws.  But they ARE a good team - hell, name the teams that could successfully navigate the murderer's row schedule we've had and be better than a game under.500 at this same point?

We'll be alright.

17 hours ago, petedaddy said:

i think we really missed montae nicholson today, he has shown some amazing range, and some of those moonball shots that Keenum took maybe could have been blown up or picked with a healthy montae nicholson, but who knows, Thielan and Diggs made Norman look like David Amerson today

Norman was abused by Thielan and Diggs, utterly abused, Montae Nicholson could have helped.

Overall the unit is better.  This part though is annoying

mp_9kbCq_bigger.jpgdanny rouhierVerified account @funnydanny4h4 hours ago
danny rouhier Retweeted Chris Russell

In their 5 losses, this has been backbreaking.

danny rouhier added,

Chris Russell @Russellmania621
The #Redskins have now allowed 72 points total (worst in @NFL) in the last 2:00 of the 2nd and 4th quarters combined this year, in 9 games. The breakdown: Defense - 58 pts…

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

....This part though is annoying

danny rouhier added,

The #Redskins have now allowed 72 points total (worst in @NFL) in the last 2:00 of the 2nd and 4th quarters combined this year, in 9 games. The breakdown: Defense - 58 pts…

Eerily reminiscent...  /sigh

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Overall the unit is better.  This part though is annoying

mp_9kbCq_bigger.jpgdanny rouhierVerified account @funnydanny4h4 hours ago
danny rouhier Retweeted Chris Russell

In their 5 losses, this has been backbreaking.

danny rouhier added,

72 points in 36 minutes,. that's 2 points per minute.

Thats like giving up 120 points a game if they did it consistently all game. 

Gruden doesn't seem to be getting any better at before the half thats for sure. Has cost us at least 3 games that it seems that a Gibbs ran team would have won if he had gotten us to those same spots before the half.

The Redskins signed the following player to their practice squad:

LB Otha Peters - A UDFA of the Seahawks this season.  UL-Lafayette product - The Rajn' Cajuns.

More info here: https://www.underdogdynasty.com/ul-lafayette-ragin-cajuns/2017/4/23/15380066/2017-nfl-draft-profile-otha-peters-ul-lafayette-sun-belt-saints-seahawks-broncos-giants-49ers-chiefs

622252242.0.jpg

Archived