Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense - From Weakness to Strength to Weakness to etc...

goskins10

Was decent in 2015 - his 2nd year in the league. Has played 8 games since..

RECENT GAMESMORE
WK OPP RESULT Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
  Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
6 video.gif @NO L  38-52 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

CAREER STATSMORE
Season Team   Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
  G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
2017 Detroit Lions 1 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

2016 San Diego Chargers 7 0 5 5 0 1.0 0 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2015 Detroit Lions 14 12 29 23 6 2.0 0 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2014 Detroit Lions 12 0 2 0 2 0.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

TOTAL 36 28 8 3.0 0 2 0 0 -- 0 0 0

2016 Defense: finished 28th @ 378 ypg and 23.9 ppg.  2017 Defense: 24th @ 364 ypg and 26.6 ppg

Last 5 games, points allowed: 34, 33, 14, 38, 34.  Cant really win if you're forced to drop 35 every time out.  Even the 49ers put up 24 behind CJ Beatherd.  And in the next 3 weeks, the Niners only scored 30 combined.

Basically, after holding the Chiefs in check, the D has fallen off a cliff.  They did lose two starters since then, but they cant even hold it together.  

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

2016 Defense: finished 28th @ 378 ypg and 23.9 ppg.  2017 Defense: 24th @ 364 ypg and 26.6 ppg

Last 5 games, points allowed: 34, 33, 14, 38, 34.  Cant really win if you're forced to drop 35 every time out.  Even the 49ers put up 24 behind CJ Beatherd.  And in the next 3 weeks, the Niners only scored 30 combined.

Basically, after holding the Chiefs in check, the D has fallen off a cliff.  They did lose two starters since then, but they cant even hold it together.  

Obviously Allen had a bigger impact on this D that what the stats tell...

It's been night and day since then.

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Obviously Allen had a bigger impact on this D that what the stats tell...

It's been night and day since then.

Yeah, and Ioannidis playing with a club on his hand isn't helping either.

With that said, it's still no excuse for them to continuously fold at the end of halves.  I'm sure its both scheme and coverage related but they are woefully pathetic, pass rush or no pass rush.

There is literally no excuse for the collapse yesterday. What is mind boggling ins that they play really well right up to the last few minutes. I have to believe it's more scheme than personnel. The keep guys in check most of the game then all of sudden guys are running free all over the place. Players do not change that much. But scheme can. Although, Hall was directly responsible for some pretty bad breakdowns. He seems completely lost sometimes.

I like Manusky a lot and still believe he is changing this thing. But I think he has to self scout and see what he is doing wrong and fix it. Injuries are horrible and they lost Montae again which sucks. But these melt downs look much more like bad play calling from a defensive standpoint than just players missing plays.

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, and Ioannidis playing with a club on his hand isn't helping either.

With that said, it's still no excuse for them to continuously fold at the end of halves.  I'm sure its both scheme and coverage related but they are woefully pathetic, pass rush or no pass rush.

I'm not so sure it is a coaching thing here.

At least, not the one everyone think it is.

I don't think Manusky is dumb by any means. He knows what he's doing, and if this was on him he would have corrected it by now. At least I hope so.

So I'm wondering, and I'm slowly starting to believe that all of this is due to players getting exhausted, players not getting enough subs, playing D and ST, and stuff like that. Fact is, the problem might only be a stamina problem for this D.

But even then, that is weird still as every one seems lost at the same time... It's not one guy here or another there...

But well, Drew Brees is also great at making guys look stupid as well.

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it's a combination of the 3: Scheme, individual players, lack of depth.  It's so bad that it's quite possibly a combination of all 3.  Guys are winded due to the lack of depth.  The scheme isn't masking our deficiencies but when it does, individual players are failing.

Probably.

I wish someone would ask Gruden or Greg straight forward. I'd love to hear the answer.

my biggest problem with the defense's collapse yesterday was just the ease in which the Saints scored the last two times...at least make them take some checkdowns and eat up a little clock

i could have lived with New Orleans tying the game with zeroes on the clock with a 48 yard Hail Mary

it's hard to stomach when it's wide open pass for 20, wide open pass for 20, uncontested run for 20, etc..... touchdown saints

Hard to blame a lack of depth when it's what we're using for most of these games.

Depth came in, got hurt. Spaight is a 3rd string LB. Our interior defensive line features a newly signed guy each week being forced to play significant snaps.

DBs get hurt regularly. In and out of games. 

These affect the gameplan. Guys picked up off the street aren't in game shape no matter how many weights they lift, and it's week 11.

That said, yesterday's collapse is inexcusable. Poor execution, poor playcalling on defense down the stretch, and they looked tired.

The story of this season is injuries, and anything else is a far second.

~Bang

6 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

my biggest problem with the defense's collapse yesterday was just the ease in which the Saints scored the last two times...at least make them take some checkdowns and eat up a little clock

i could have lived with New Orleans tying the game with zeroes on the clock with a 48 yard Hail Mary

it's hard to stomach when it's wide open pass for 20, wide open pass for 20, uncontested run for 20, etc..... touchdown saints

Yeah, I brought this up in another thread. 

Sadly, Drew Brees didn't even to have to do Drew Brees type stuff to win the game.  Those might be two of the easiest scoring drives of his career.  A whole lot of QBs were capable of doing what he did to win the game.

2 minutes ago, Bang said:

Hard to blame a lack of depth when it's what we're using for most of these games.

Depth came in, got hurt. Spaight is a 3rd string LB. Our interior defensive line features a newly signed guy each week being forced to play significant snaps.

DBs get hurt regularly. In and out of games. 

These affect the gameplan. Guys picked up off the street aren't in game shape no matter how many weights they lift, and it's week 11.

The story of this season is injuries, and anything else is a far second.

~Bang

I think that's what we mean when we cite lack of depth, at least I do.  It's pretty obvious that the 2nd/3rd string guys are nowhere near as good as the guys before them but they usually never are.  With that said, there isn't much worse than a winded backup.  At the same time, you should be able to insert anyone in there with under 5 minutes to play and not give up 200 yards and lose the game.

22 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

The saints didn't suffer a single incomplete pass after the Redskins went up 31-16 and it's not like they were making great receptions against tough defense.  Wide open pitch and catch the whole way.  If that wasn't bad enough, saints only need two rushing attempts to march 51 yards in over time.  A 20 yard run, a 31 yard run, and an easy field goal.  Easy as you please.  The defense simply failed to compete at the end of the game.  I'm not sure how else to phrase it.   

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm not so sure it is a coaching thing here.

At least, not the one everyone think it is.

I don't think Manusky is dumb by any means. He knows what he's doing, and if this was on him he would have corrected it by now. At least I hope so.

So I'm wondering, and I'm slowly starting to believe that all of this is due to players getting exhausted, players not getting enough subs, playing D and ST, and stuff like that. Fact is, the problem might only be a stamina problem for this D.

But even then, that is weird still as every one seems lost at the same time... It's not one guy here or another there...

But well, Drew Brees is also great at making guys look stupid as well.

Is part of it mental? Swearinger last week talked about how they weren't into it going into the Minnesota game and they got gashed. 

They came out focused and physicaI at the start of the game today, likely in response to that last horrible outing and contained a far better QB for 57 minutes.

I wonder if they get comfortable and relax at the end of halves. 

12 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I saw poor effort on those last 2 drives, there was one play when Josh Norman just let a guy run right by him for an extra 10+ yards and he didn't even make an effort to tackle him.

The poor tackling gave me flashbacks.

Yeah man, I have loved and want to continue loving this dude, but he's been suspect the past two games.  The same guy who came up and made that gladiator like tackle against the Seahawks came up limp yesterday.

Just now, Destino said:

On the subject of defense as a weakness, the Redskins defense is now ranked 31st in points surrendered.  Only the colts have allowed more points per game.

It took them all of two games to fall off a cliff. Injuries have taken their toll but yesterday's collapse was way more than injuries. The guys that were out there played 54 minutes of really good football. Then the last 6 mins they play like idiots. 

Each year we seem to get a new theme. First it's no one wanting to tackle. then 3rd down D is atrocious. Now the team cannot finish a game. They can still get it together. But they have lost all room for error. 9-7 will only get a seat on your couch during the POs. 10-6 may not even be enough but you have a much better chance. 

I don;t see either happening honestly. At this point 8-8 is more realistic, maybe even 7-9. Let's see what they are made of. Do they have any pride at all.  

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We're not winning the battle up front. Losing Allen was the death knell but losing Foster and Nicholson hurts too. Hall is trash and Spaight and Compton lack lateral quickness. I think Norman is still playing through an injury too.

Exactly 

the defense has been decimated. They are a good unit deep down imo 

Man I want a Landon Collins type safety to go with Swearinger, that dude is a beast. 

Hopefully Nicholson gets well and stays healthy now - he does show a ton of potential. 

Our secondary is one more good safety (a speed strength guy hopefully) from being DOMINANT. Everett and DHALL are just an enormous drop off from how nicholson was playing. 

Man we have 4 CBs that could start for almost all other teams, just fantastic. And Moreau in waiting! So many of our sacks are coverage sacks. 

I think keim made a good point in a post game video recently . Loosi ng guys like foster and Compton have really hurt this defense because they are the communicators . 

Brown is undoubtedly our best ilb but when it comes to two and four minute drills and the opposing team is in hurry up the ability for the ax to be effective is down to players on the field reacting and being in their spots ...

poor comunication AND lack of rotation is not a good mix ... 

The best thing we can do to ‘fix’ the D right now is to lean on the running game ... it’s going to be ugly football but it might be our best option because if we cannot rest the D putting up 30+ isn’t winning game s

A loss of players hurts the defense overall, but the same players held a team like New Orleans in check for the most part, well, until the last 5 minutes.

This is lack of adjustment on the fly and players losing focus of their responsibilities. Getting lost in coverage, one player expecting safety help when its not there and the receiver getting wide open, etc. The N.O. game, the 2nd to last TD they scored, the receiver simply ran up 7 yds and turned around; there were 4 Redskin defenders close by him but none covering him, it was an easy TD. When does someone snap to say 'hey I should at least get by the guy and try to deter a throw, something'.

Archived