Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

This is exactly what happened in VA and NJ. 

No one is talking about this but the conservative bench in the millennial community is god ****ing awful compared to Democrats. It’s a mix of uppity snobs from Ivy League schools or just straight up insane alt-right goons. 

Republicans already awful problem connecting with millenials is going to get much worse when the best millennial candidates they can find are a bunch of Mike Cernovic and Alex Jones clones.

This aint about candidates anymore. They are playing a different game that has been in the works for almost 50 years.

If Jesus Christ came down to the American south and said he was a Democrat, he would lose and the bible thumpers would turn against him. This is a greater evil that has to do with substandard education.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This aint about candidates anymore. They are playing a different game that has been in the works for almost 50 years.

If Jesus Christ came down to the American south and said he was a Democrat, he would lose and the bible thumpers would turn against him. This is a greater evil that has to do with substandard education.

I don’t believe this type of politics will continue for long. 

I am almost certain this is the last hurrah of an absolutely putrid political movement. 

I suspect to some degree the top GOP political leadership understands this too. It’s why they are going all in on turds like Roy Moore even though they know it will hurt them down the line.

They want to satisfy all of their donors and rich friends as much as possible before the public at large eventually turns on them.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

I don’t believe this type of politics will continue for long. 

I am almost certain this is the last hurrah of an absolutely putrid political movement. 

I suspect to some degree the top GOP political leadership understands this too. It’s why they are going all in on turds like Roy Moore even though they know it will hurt them down the line.

They want to satisfy all of their donors and rich friends as much as possible before the public eventually turns on them.

You are very optimistic, but you work in higher education. You see what is taking place across the country with who they are hiring to be school admins. Who schools are hiring to be presidents. Who is funding research, etc.

Its happening in secondary school too.

We have been telling ourselves that "this is the last hurrah," and "the numbers do not favor them" for 10 years. And they have been in control of this control for that period outside of brief windows.

This is not about candidates, and about what these people have done to the brains of Americans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You are very optimistic, but you work in higher education. You see what is taking place across the country with who they are hiring to be school admins. Who schools are hiring to be presidents. Who is funding research, etc.

We have been telling ourselves that "this is the last hurrah," and "the numbers do not favor them" for 10 years. And they have been in control of this control for that period outside of brief windows.

This is not about candidates, and about what these people have done to the brains of Americans.

Like I said, they are doing god awful with anyone under 40. This is a clear sign that they are losing their influential grip. 

Conservative media brainwashed a lot of older Americans. They are really struggling with the under 40 crowd. 

There reckoning is coming. It’s inevitable. Our politics is cyclical. Most people will eventually will turn on whoever is in power and blatantly abusing it. This applies to Democrats too. It’s the cyclical nature of our politics for quite some time.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

@BenningRoadSkin @No Excuses  I think you are both making excellent points (please keep going).

I'll just inject some data to No Excuses point:

Question is "Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling his job as President? COMBINED WITH: (If approve/disapprove q1) Do you strongly or somewhat approve/disapprove?"

image.png.32ec71650b28c29098733c2fd2b69961.png

Interestingly, Trump has more support from 50-64 than 65+.  Possibly WWII era folks who refuse to be on the side of Nazis???

To No Excuses' point, millennials are 74 disapproval overall to 19 approval with nearly all of the disapproval being strongly.  But the age group that supports most strongly (and its not that strongly) starts at age 50, so they'll mostly be voting for another 20 years at least. 

Edit, this is from the most recent Q poll.  https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2504

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

How did he disrespect our military?

Yes Mooka, what were you referring to?  The only think I know about Franken and the military is that hevolunteered a ton of time with the USO entertaining our overseas troops.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

20-30?  I hope these are serious and well corroborated allegations and not a witch-hunt.

Me too.  I will say, WaPo fending off O'Keefe's minions recently makes me hopeful they will do a good job.

CNN less so, but maybe some WaPo will rub off on them.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Can you expound on this? 

28 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Yes Mooka, what were you referring to?  The only think I know about Franken and the military is that hevolunteered a ton of time with the USO entertaining our overseas troops.  

Oh, 100% solely his 1 picture, and his behavior on USO shows.

The military folks in my family don't keep up with news, but have all seen that picture. 

• Confused 1

Me neither.  Did you actually watch the tape of the USO skit, Mooka?  The whole point of the skit was to paint the soldiers in the audience as the good guys as opposed to Franken himself.  It was the farthest thing possible from "disrespecting the troops."  It was glorifying the troops.

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So, #1, it pretty much ends any evangelical EVER claiming the moral high ground again (if electing Trump didn't already).  Around Xmas time no less.  "I don't believe in God, well YOU knowingly elected a pedophile.  HA!"

#2, As Kilmer correctly notes, during the 2018 elections Roy Moore molesting children, and candidate X not condemning the **** out of that, is going to get hung around the neck of every R candidate nationwide, hopefully to devastating effect. 

#3, does anyone think Moore is going to get to the Senate and play nice?  His entire primary campaign was AGAINST the Senate majority leader.  He'll be more trouble than he is worth for the Rs.  

You seem overly optimistic about these three things.

#1 - You think this is going to stop them from claiming the moral high ground? 

#2 - None of these political scandals ever last that long

#3 - I expect him to get in line when it matters and be a clown when convenient

It seems like a huge reach to look for positives out of this election.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

You seem overly optimistic about these three things.

#1 - You think this is going to stop them from claiming the moral high ground? 

#2 - None of these political scandals ever last that long

#3 - I expect him to get in line when it matters and be a clown when convenient

It seems like a huge reach to look for positives out of this election.

#1, of course they'll claim it, but they'll also know that their movement knowingly elected a pedophile.

#2, just need this to last until November 2018.  This one will last as long as Moore remains seated.

#3, that's probably right, but also a huge part of my point.  Whether or not Moore is in line when it matters (i.e., when voting) makes almost no difference.  The Senate R's have 52 votes and the tiebreaker now.  If Moore loses, they still have 51 votes and the tiebreaker.  So the only thing they have passed (#taxscam) STILL would have passed if Alabama had one democrat Senator.  So Moore winning has almost zero downside.*  Moore winning will have a much bigger (negative) impact on the House R's chances of retaining the majority because his clowniness when convenient will hurt the R brand, as will the fact that the R caucus has a child molester that ran on being a moral authority.  Usually political ads make an ugly cariciture out of the opposing party.  Moore is that walking talking caricature come to life.  

*The downside is if Dems successfully defend all 25 seats up in 2018 and win Arizona and Nevada.  I don't think that will happen. 

16 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

so Roy Moore was an idiot back in 1997.

And back to 1974, according to his law school classmates. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-roy-moores-law-school-professor-nicknamed-him-fruit-salad#intcid=dt-recirc-cral_top1_1

“I remember our constitutional-law professor really ripping Roy apart using the Socratic method and thinking, in retrospect, ‘I can’t believe this man went to West Point.’ Because you kind of think that you have to be smart to go to West Point,” one classmate, who, like Moore, became a judge, told me. Another classmate said that she used to sit with a good friend of hers in every class. “Roy always sat in front of us, and he would turn around and flirt. He’s the one thing that brought humor to us, because he was, well, kind of a doofus,” she said. “He’d yak at us. We were both single, rolling our eyes.” She added, “And then Roy would ask all of these questions to put himself in the middle of debating with an intelligent professor, and he was always cut to shreds.”

Julia Smeds Roth, a partner at the law firm Eyster Key, in Decatur, said that she and her friends called Moore and those he spent time with “the lounge lizards,” because they were always in the student lounge playing cards. “He’d go to class, but he was argumentative, very stubborn, and not very thoughtful in his analysis of the cases. He was not a very attentive student. For the most part, students didn’t respect him much.” She added, “Of all my classmates, he was the least likely I’d think would become a U.S. senator.”

• Haha 2