Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sky is on the ground

joeken24

Not much to say to start this thread. While the game was disappointing on many levels, I'm not as pissed as I normally am. One reason is because I've resorted to watching the game through the eyes of you guys on the forum. But to that, I started to think about all the game threads through the years. All the times, I read the words or phrases like "ridiculous", "poor play call", "I'm done with this team", "WTF", "this team sucks", and the list goes on and on. Think about what you've said in course of a game about this team on pretty much any given Sunday for the past several years. Even the Raiders game had a "dumb ass" (oh I forget that phrase) fumble by Crowder. Its a pure case of insanity when you sit down and think about it.

So someone please help me understand why the **** we still watch this ****? This year, more than any other year, I felt like we turned the corner. I thought we had better players, better coaches and just a better overall culture. After the Raiders game, I really thought something magical was beginning to take place with this team. But alas, we're below .500, we've lost every divisional game, we have a replacement team and a brutal schedule ahead.

So I guess I had more to say than I thought.

Notwithstanding, I've lowered my expectation to another poor season. I no longer have expectations from Pryor and Doctson. If the defense plays well, this team will **** it up on offense or SP or any other combination that makes a loss happen in the most maddening way possible. I no longer believe Kirk is going to be a difference maker. I believe this team will always find a way to make things difficult. 

But look, I'm sure everyone hear probably knows someone (it could be you) that just can't get right. Even when they mean well, they still **** **** up....most of the time. I just can't believe an entire team can't get right.

I know.....some may think this is a negative thread. But some may find this to be a reality check. 

Thoughts? (to help me make sense of it all)

Good post. 

I posted something similar to this in the pre season.  It was something along the lines that there is a black cloud that surrounds this team. 

Then someone today, in the game day thread mentioned culture and that resonated with me instantly.  The team either expects to fail (lose) is they simply do not know how to win.  That goes to culture, and leadership which eventually lands on the doorstep of the owner. People may say he is not involved, and so on.  Well I believe that attitude and culture reflects leadership.  We are lacking any true leadership at any level within the organization.  

On on a personal assessment.  When I watch the games and a clutch play is made, I am almost suprised.  I expect them to not make the play, I hope for it like crazy, I curse at the TV, but right now, after digesting yet another disappointment game, I evaluate the team and more importantly organization, for what they are, dysfunctional.  

They are are dysfunctional because they lack leadership, and organizational goals and standards.

Example of the standard, The Pittsburgh Steelers.  Their ownership believes in principles that are unwavering.  Very few coaching turnover.  They empower the people they hire, and hire good people, that fit their organizational standards.

As to why do we watch.  It's impossible not to.  

In conclusion, the leadership has to change, in order for the culture to change. Since the leadership will not change any time soon, I posted earlier, there is no solution, short of getting lucky for one year.  However for prolonged success, not likely.

Good post.

Not sure where this thread may go, but I will add my two cents and I do agree that this about those at the top.  Particularly the coaches, the FO and those above them.  However that will not change anytime soon.  The people in charge will continue to be there and it will probably not change the culture or the dysfunction.  This team is not even close those teams that are the standard and are perennial contenders.  Unfortunately we cannot change anything ourselves, except not go to the games or stop buying team merchandise to that fills the pockets of those in charge.  It is what it is, until a conscious decision is made by those in charge that reflects their desire to move in a positive decision.

And please don't tell me oh but the defense is better.  They just gave up 150 yards and 2 touchdowns to the running back of a division rival at home in a key game. That is  just embarrassing on every level.  And the opposition disrespected them in the first quarter by going for it on 4th and 2 on the 50 yard line.  They spit in your face and you did nothing.  They said "YOU SUCK" at stopping the run and YOU DID.

It's most definitely the result of the pathetic way this organization is run and the craptacular human beings who run it. Snyder goes without saying at this point. But Allen is just as culpable if not more so. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that putting the right structure in place and hiring a guy who, despite his faults, still cared deeply about player relationships made this team a playoff contenders in 2015. Nor is it a coincidence that after firing that guy and abandoning that structure we're in utter disarray again. Snyder is garbage. Allen is garbage. They don't inspire loyalty but paranoia and confusion. They know NOTHING about team building. They are soulless, vapid shells, all ego and no heart, and this team will continue to reflect that until things change. 

it hurts. man it hurts. the cowpies are a good team. seem to be hitting a stride. skins are not equipped to deal with an oline like that with all the injuries. I think allen going down was the straw that broke for run D. we got guys givin it their all out there. but sometimes that is not enough. I still think it is an 8-8 type of year. even if we gotta play the spoiler to some teams.

Bruce Allen. Vinny Cerritos, the midget Synder and a cast of incomprehensiblly bad mgmt, bad players and bad coaches.  The list is too large to list here.  By the early 2000’s I noticed the love had changed to indifference.  I waited 17 years for season tickets.  After 5 years I gave them up.  I still love football - but now The only happiness I get is knowing Synder ruined a great franchises and maybec it is slowly destroying him.  

So thanks for this dan.  Thanks fir thinking from day 1 you were special enough to run a team. Thanks for your stubbornness to get Football people in here.  And if you did - thanks for getting out of there way.  Thanks for keeping bug- eyed cerrato around only to replace  him with the dolt Allen.  For firing Shottenheimer who was on the verge of turning the Team around.  For being responsive for Zorn.  For interfering in player personnel issues causing the RG3 experiment to last too long.  Showing favoritism in the locker room is always a great way to foster Team togetherness. 

I could go on and on, but in 10 years this team will be the same and I’ll havd new material to work with.

29 minutes ago, SBboundbaby said:

I still think it is an 8-8 type of year. even if we gotta play the spoiler to some teams.

Sadly I think 8-8 is a best case scenario.  Too many injuries, no running game, no real passing game....you name it.  I would bet that Williams will undergo his surgery once his bone bruise is healed.  I feel as if I have already moved on to 2018 at this point.  We are cursed, bewitched, or whatever this year.  It is a perfect storm of misfortune.  Buckle in for a bumpy ride for the rest of the year.  Hail  

The more I hear from Dan Snyder the less I care about this team. I love the Redskins but I do not want to support anything this man does or touches. It makes it a little bit easier to deal with when they lose. I would give anything to get rid of that cancerous human being.

Understandably, there is a lot of doom and gloom.  A lot of it (IMO), is due to the FO.  I think many would feel a lot better about Kirk's play (on the year, not tonight) if he were locked up for several years at a 'reasonable' rate.  Don't know why we've been hit so hard by injuries in recent years, but at least our depth appears to be improving.  

In a general sense, there are a few things to feel good about:

Our oline has talent.  They're better in space (and pass blocking) but they aren't the ones holding our run game back... I put that squarely on the skill players (backs, TEs and receivers).  

Cousins (again, in general) is a good to very good qb.  He can win without a good defense, he can win without good receivers or a run game.  I'm betting he could win more if 2/3 of those were closer to good.

The defense has shown some promise.  Coming into the season, I was concerned about how our dline would hold up, I was concerned about our secondary outside of Norman (I thought Swearinger and Cravens could be upgrades, but the latter had a lot to prove).  I didn't expect Brown to have quite the impact.  I love how Ioaniddas, Fuller, Breeland, Brown, Kerrigan, Smith, Dunbar, Swearinger (rough game 2 vs Philly aside) and Allen have played, and I'm excited that Nicholson could be our first true FS since Taylor.  

As I posted elsewhere, re-sign Brown (and Dunbar or Breeland) and our defense can certainly be better than average beyond this year.  Find a receiver and a TE that can block and figure out a LG and our offense should be good.  

And then there's the question of re-signing Kirk.  I'm not going into that here, lol.  

Anyone have a theory on why we have so many injuries?  Bad luck, part of the game, or incompetent strengthening coaches?  I'm not happy about the loss, I don't like Gruden's play calling, but dammit, I want to see one game where we are firing on all cylinders.  Hope I didn't comment in the wrong thread.

I watched the game until the last 5 minutes.  It was more than disappointing.  I picked them to go 8-8 this season.

Can this team overcome adversity or will they fold is the real question.   I still cannot believe the season the Eagles are having.

But they went out and brought in better receivers through free agency.  Allen is a failed front office Executive and hiring him was a huge mistake.

But keeping him is an even worse mistake.   He will blame Williams for the bad season at the end of the year.

The biggest issue I see right now with this team is they have no ability to seize the moment/opportunities that get handed to them.  They have scored early in games in just about every game this season outside of the opener. Furthermore they have had opportunities to go up by multiple possession in those games as well.  They simply can't manage to get out of their own way.

Is it a lack of killer instinct? Is it a conservative game plan approach by the coaches? Who knows. What I do know is that it seems like when our team turns the ball over, it is almost guaranteed to be converted into points. 

There is something off with Jay Gruden and the offensive coaches when the first 15 scripted plays can go so well, and immediately after the offense just falls apart. 

For a non native English speaker this title is weird as hell. 

Honest opinion. This is a weird year. Our schedule is super hard. So expected us to start pretty bad. But in most of the early season games we played competitive. We are able to play with the big teams...for 1 half!! That's what this year is. Start good. Come out with a nice game plan on both sides of the field. Then just kick yourself in the nuts with stupid stuff (dropping balls, missing tackles etc). And go cold for the rest of the game. 

So I really start to question our coordinators. They are able to come up with a plan, that works. Only as the game progresses, things change. You get behind, you get in front, injuries, opponent changes plans. They do not deal well with that. That dynamic part of a 4 quarter game is something they don't master. 

Like Gruden last game. Running game starts solid. #1 RB gets injured. You get behind in score. Let's just stop running it. Why?! Kelley is not Walter Payton in his prime. Somebody else should be able to take his role and be productive.  Not just straight abandon that part of your game. Does "easy" 3 yard plays just let's your off move. 

I also want to call out the FO. They did well to get depth at some spots. We have a lot of injuries but still are able to field a competitive team, well done. But how on earth are they gonna explain the WR and RB position. Its clear that our RB depth is crap. Gruden does not trust any of our other RBs to carry the load (beside Kelley). How hard is it to find a decent back up RB? (not hard) The WR thing is just mismanagement. Pryor did not work out. Bad luck, that can happen. Doctson struggles, was suspected.  But who do we have behind that? They really should have brought in a decent veteran outside WR. A fall back plan. 

3 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

8-8 would be a miracle this year with all of the injuries.

Yes, and it would be unfortunate too. 

Before the season, I mentioned that this season is pretty pointless unless it's very good or very bad. Because of the key players on expiring deals (Cousins, Brown, Breeland, etc.) and the fact that we are in limbo until those are resolved, it seemed like another decent year with no true outcome wouldn't matter in the big picture. If we were to go 4-12...that's an outcome. If we were to go 12-4 and win a playoff game or two...that's an outcome. Anything else was just a precursor to what we need to do to figure out the direction over the next few years. 

At 3-4 both extremes are still unlikely. Obviously, we aren't going 12-4. I suppose there's a chance we could bottom out if the injuries continue to pile up, but even that seems unlikely given how competitive we've been in loses to some good teams. I think we will end up somewhere between 6-8 wins and have about 18 questions to answer in February/March. 

Looking at our schedule, I dont see more than 3 more wins.

@ Sea- Loss

Minn-Loss

@NO- Loss

NYG on Thanksgiving night- Loss

@Dallas- Loss

@LAChargers- Loss

AZ- Win

Den-Win

NYG-Win

Perhaps we beat the Giants on Turkeyday, but its a primetime game, so....

17 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Looking at our schedule, I dont see more than 3 more wins.

@ Sea- Loss

Minn-Loss

@NO- Loss

NYG on Thanksgiving night- Loss

@Dallas- Loss

@LAChargers- Loss

AZ- Win

Den-Win

NYG-Win

Perhaps we beat the Giants on Turkeyday, but its a primetime game, so....

Depends, at least partially, on where our injuries stand at that point.  If the oline is healthy outside of Trent, I'd give us a decent shot in all of the games after New Orleans.  

@wilco_hollandTo be fair, they did bring in Brian Quick.  I think he fits that mold you're talking about.  As to why he's not getting PT... I don't know man.  

Archived