Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

16 minutes ago, c slag said:

If and thats if this team makes a run and gets into the playoffs with all the injuries wouldn't he have to be considered for coach of the year award 

The Vikings are looking more and more likely to make it in on their third string QB while their best RB is out for the year. Again. If Doug Pederson doesn't get it for having such a massive turnaround from last season, Mike Zimmer's got it in the bag. IF we make a run to the playoffs Jay would probably be considered, but I doubt he'd get it without something flashy to showcase the season on. Fair or not, what happened in New Orleans is going to cripple any strong cases for him.

5 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I know Gruden has a lot to deal with in terms of injuries, but his in game clock management is ATROCIOUS.  The delay of game after the timeout on 4th down was just STUPID.  It's not on Cousins because the HC has to know the situation and what to do there.  Again another reason why he needs a OC.  He CAN'T do both

The 4th and 1 people are leaving out a critical piece of information: The player that was due to go in had been injured on the previous play. He went straight to the medical staff and had taken his shoe off. With all the new faces it was hard to know. It is just one of those things - not anyone's fault. **** happens. It looked bad but in the end it meant nothing. You take the penalty and punt. Your D has been playing well. 

Those of you with all these complaints are really missing a great job of coaching. Only 3 starters on Off have started every game and one of those (Moses) is on not 1 but 2 bad ankles and now has a rib problem - which he went out and played with. Another has a bad hand (Davis)! Top 2 RBs out. Top TE - one of the best 5 in the NFL - out. Pryor a bust - also now out injured. There are 3 guys starting that were on various practice squads a few weeks ago (2 Oline and an ILB). Crowder has been injured and even got hurt covering the punt he thought hit one of our players. Yet he came back and made some great plays. And with all the adversity they come out and play hard every game. Yes they make mistakes - a lot of them. But between the offseason changes and the injuries there are a lot of moving parts. Guys are developing. So many were ready to let Ioannidis leave. He was a "bum" by many accounts. Same with Fuller and others. Yet these and othe guys are making plays and working hard even if they do make some real head scratching plays. That is the sign of a very good coach. 

This was a division rival with a $200M defense that has started playing like it of late. This idea that the Redskins should be cake walking anyone is fantasy. The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is very small. And division rivalries you can throw out the records. 

Most importantly it was a win!! On to dallast!!  

9 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I'm not arguing the idea about getting an OC for Gruden. It will take some of the responsibilities off him so he can concentrate more on being just the HC.

I'm just arguing against the idea of replacing Gruden. For now. As long as the team plays gutsy, inspired football in the face of injuries, and as long as they seem to want to play for Gruden, I'll stand with him.

I was blowing off a little steam, just frustrated at some of the things going on with crunch time decision-making.

Gruden is a good coach, and yes, firing him would probably be a mistake [ unless some genius becomes available and willing ] but yes he needs an OC; he can have all the input he wants with the OC, but let him focus on other matters involving the team.

He has a lot, probably too much on his plate, and it would be hard for him to come out and admit it because the media would turn it into some Gruden's quitting' storyline. He's doing the best he can with what he has to work with, and is doing a good job, but there are areas of the game that he does need help, and a good OC can take care of those issues.

Now, if he comes out and declines to get an OC later on, it will eventually show up on the field, as it is doing now, and that will have a negative affect on the players if things start going south. Players are smart and they see whats going on at the sidelines, and if it becomes repetitious they will become vocal.

1 hour ago, thebeermonkey said:

I'm now buy. He still needs to sort out the daft mistakes but overall he has done a pretty decent job with some horrendous injuries.

Not sure who would be better

I think quite a few coaches would have won last week.

1 hour ago, c slag said:

If the Cardinals let Bruce Arinas go at the end of the season wonder if he would consider the OC job with the Redskins 

I'm thinking he would be on someone's radar as a HC, but if this did happen I would be thrilled.  I liked him in Pittsburgh as the OC, but after seeing the Amazon behind the scenes on the Cardinals, I like him even more.  Seems like a great all around guy and someone who really breaks down situational football for his guys.  Would be a great add.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:03 PM, CaptainChaos47 said:

I'm thinking he would be on someone's radar as a HC, but if this did happen I would be thrilled.  I liked him in Pittsburgh as the OC, but after seeing the Amazon behind the scenes on the Cardinals, I like him even more.  Seems like a great all around guy and someone who really breaks down situational football for his guys.  Would be a great add.

I like Arians but I thought the narrative of him stepping down is mostly health related?  I am more than cool though with Jay as a play caller.  If Jay wanted to add him to staff, I'd be cool with it.

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Gruden needs to just trust his OC to handle playcalling. Maybe find another McVay.

There was a rumor this past week that Hue Jackson may end up getting fired.  He was our RB coach back when Steven Davis was here as well as being on the Bengals when Jay was OC there.  In fact, he took over those duties after Jay left.  If we're so inclined on bringing anyone in to offload OC duties from Jay, he may be a good one to consider.

1 hour ago, Paul Cumberland said:

There was a rumor this past week that Hue Jackson may end up getting fired.  He was our RB coach back when Steven Davis was here as well as being on the Bengals when Jay was OC there.  In fact, he took over those duties after Jay left.  If we're so inclined on bringing anyone in to offload OC duties from Jay, he may be a good one to consider.

Yeah I think Hue would be a good fit. He doesn't seem to have the personality to undermine or be a bigger voice than Gruden(something Arians probably would). That depends on whether he'd want to come back to DC though, but then again he'd be coming from Cleveland so we're probably paradise in comparison.

21 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

You think Jay is a type A personality?  

I think so yeah. Remember how he called out RG3 his rookie year and has even called Cousins out publically at times this year and last? I think its safe to say he's the assertive one in the room as he should be.

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think so yeah. Remember how he called out RG3 his rookie year and has even called Cousins out publically at times this year and last? I think its safe to say he's the assertive one in the room as he should be.

He never called Cousins out like he did RGIII. That wasn’t being assertive. That was being a prick.

However you want to call it, I'd say that Jay Gruden is not a flashy man. That's not a bad thing in itself, but I don't care for flashy coordinators under quiet coaches. I didn't like it when McVay was generating "wonder boy" reviews under Jay, and I feel like Arians would have the potential to be given similar attention of being some kind of mastermind. Hue Jackson is a quiet person, and I think he'd fit perfectly with Jay.

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

However you want to call it, I'd say that Jay Gruden is not a flashy man. That's not a bad thing in itself, but I don't care for flashy coordinators under quiet coaches. I didn't like it when McVay was generating "wonder boy" reviews under Jay, and I feel like Arians would have the potential to be given similar attention of being some kind of mastermind. Hue Jackson is a quiet person, and I think he'd fit perfectly with Jay.

But it wasn't McVay beating his own chest about the offense being good, it was the media. He can't control what they print or write.

Whoever ends up being the OC [ god I hope they get one ] I hope he has the balls to stand up to Jay if/when he's wrong and do something about it; these control freak coaches look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them, not that Jay is that type, but if Jay is wrong he is wrong, and someone has to step up to him, just as us fans express our displeasure when he bumbles things up at halftime and ends of games.

8 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

But it wasn't McVay beating his own chest about the offense being good, it was the media. He can't control what they print or write.

Whoever ends up being the OC [ god I hope they get one ] I hope he has the balls to stand up to Jay if/when he's wrong and do something about it; these control freak coaches look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them, not that Jay is that type, but if Jay is wrong he is wrong, and someone has to step up to him, just as us fans express our displeasure when he bumbles things up at halftime and ends of games.

Fair point about McVay. I didn't particularly dislike McVay himself, just aura that the media surrounded him with, which I think would surround Arians if he came here. For a coach who can stand up for himself, I'm not so hot on that. I think there's a fine line between standing up to a coach and mutiny against a coach. In the end, Jay's word should be final. He's the head coach, and if he doesn't have the final word then he isn't really a head coach. More important to me is that it's someone that Jay trusts and respects, because in that case Jay won't meddle with someone who he trusts is doing the right job. I'm not entirely sure that was the case with McVay considering there was a three-headed playcalling monster in Gruden, McVay, and Callahan.

5 hours ago, DM72 said:

He never called Cousins out like he did RGIII. That wasn’t being assertive. That was being a prick.

Naa, Jay was just keeping it real.

Like the guys calling out Cousins after a 300yd 3td 0int game, except by all accounts the other guy actually deserved it.

I think Cousins & Gruden are sort of attached at the hip to where if one goes, they both might go.  Cousins excels in Gruden's offense, regardless of who is calling plays.  Ultimately I'd like to see Gruden obtain an OC he trusts to call the plays so it can leave Gruden to HC duties during the game. He clearly needs to be able to focus on the small details that come up during a game, especially in the last 2 minutes of the halves. 

Does anyone here think either guy survives if the front office decides to start over at the other position?

Yeah Gruden didn't even get to pick a QB and if the one he has fought to keep since day 1 isn't resigned how is that his problem? 

All he has done is increase the value of Cousins from 2-3M a year to close to 30 while the team has proven incapable of foreseeing any of that progress and that is the only reason they'd have to let him walk.

They should just fire themselves. 

Just now, Tsailand said:

OK then, how would you want it to go?  Kirk walks thanks to the incompetence of Danny and Bruce, so the next step is to fire Jay?  Who would want to coach here after that?

No fan of Gruden, but he probably gets one more year. I wouldn’t give him 2 or 3. 

Archived