Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

This is a sad, sad day. The Cowboys are missing their best player on offense, their best player on defense, a playoff birth is potentially on the line.

And yet, Dallas is slapping around the Skins like so many annoying gnats.

This is the lowest moment of Jay Gruden's coaching career. I still say he deserves a chance to coach a team that hasn't had 5,834,905,83210 injuries. And he will get that chance next year.

I think. 

I'm really buying into the theory that Gruden doesn't know how to prepare a team very well. He does a lot of things well, but preparing them for big games isn't one of them. There's not a lot of evidence to support the notion that he has that part of his job down to even a halfway decent extent.

But the injuries!!!!!! The injuries!!!  It all would be ok except for the injuries!!!!

8-8 here we come.  

Again.  Because we’re an 8-8 organization with an 8-8 coach. And a doofus President and a stupid owner.

Dan needs to wake the F up and fire Bruce and Jay and hire somebody who makes him uncomfortable.

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

One day closer to a life without Gruden and Kirk Checkdown. 

The light is there folks!   It’s close

Face palm.

1 minute ago, normal_gymnasium said:

If you think that Kirk is the problem, and that he checks down too much, then you shouldn't be posting on a football message board. You should be reading and learning.

Most of these guys cant balance a checkbook, but have a strong sense for building a footballl team. it's mad funny

Well, I've grown tired of flip-flopping on Gruden.

The pure importance of this Cowboys game to the team's paloff chances, faint as they were, and these guys once again came out looking like they did against the Giants last year, when the Redskins NEEDED a win against a Giants team with nothing to play for, and stink up the joint.

No, I'm done with him. He was mediocre in Cincy, couldn't get a playoff win there, comes here and does the same thing.

He doesn't have what it takes, he relies on the players' skill levels to determine his success.

A GOOD coach TEACHES his players how to be better, techniques, motivation. Gruden stands on the sidelines with his 2 fingers smelling them. guess we know where he had them now.

If Snyder had a sliver of brain cells, he would get rid of Bruce Allen, ALL of the Grudens, the entire strength and condition coaches, the scouting staff who only look at players under 6'2, and may as well do it right, Cousins as well.

This team is in so much need, 1 or 2 players won't do it, and that's exactly Gruden's philosophy; see how much he targeted Crowder tonight? Even after the back to back turnovers he caused. Davis was a no-show, and any other good WRs were sent packing by Brucie.

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

I don't think you are in the minority. If you are I'm right there with you.

Jay has done a great job this year IMO. He's held this all together through a ridiculous spate of injuries and in a year the GM was canned just before the draft. The wheels have stayed on the bus and the team clearly enjoy playing for him. On the offensive side of the ball he has performed minor miracles conjuring offensive performance and points from a team that has been starting 3 or 4 guys on the O'line who are backups or backups to backups and with a receiving group which has been mediocre at best. 

Contrast what Jay has done with what's happening in New York with the Giants when they lost two receivers. Or the implosion of the Dallas offense when they lost Elliott and Smith. 

Frankly the only purpose of a thread on the Head Coach this season is to say thank you.

Ok.  I know.  The injuries.  The injuries!

Did I mention the injuries?

I get it.  

Gruden is an 8-8 coach and a 4-12 personnel guy.

He makes bad coaching staff decisions. He can’t manage the clock.  He coaches not to lose.  

He’s Norv II.  There’s always an excuse.  Injuries.  Bad Roster.  Bad luck.  There’s always an excuse.

But the results don’t lie.  He loses more than he wins.  Over 4 years.  

And the results will never change.  Because that’s who he is.

If Jay Gruden was a car, he would’ve been sold for 900$ on Craigslist. His ad would feature two awfull photos of his shocked face on the field and his confused face from the press interview.

Salvage title.

Bad transimission, needs a new clutch.

Broken clock.

Timing belt needs replacement.

No trades. Cash only.

I think after the Saints choke job, and this one, Gruden should be fired.  Or more accurately, he never should have been given an extension in a contract year, it was stupid.

Why is it that EVERY time an important game comes up, or a game is on the line, his teams choke?  Where is the leadership?  Where is he stepping in to yell at some players, or encourage them, or calm them down?

We had Sean McVay, but we let him go because we already had Gruden.  Great.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

...and hire somebody who makes him uncomfortable.

I am convinced this will never happen.  Never.  I’m convinced nothing will change until there isn’t a single fan left and a single ticket sold.  

All the good will from the Allen/Gibbs years is almost spent.  The Redskins haven’t been to an NFC Championsip game in 25 years.  They are one of only 5 or 6 teams for Christmas which that is true.  My generation that grew up in the 70’s and 80’s is getting older.  Are the Redskins really bringing new fans into the fold?  Look at the stadium on game day for the truth.    

Archived