Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Chiefs Prediction Thread: KC vs KC, in KC?

skins island connection

This season is really strange/interesting. It feels like there are no teams that are clearly superior. I mean the Patriots suck on defense and lost 2 out of 3 games at home. The Falcons lost to a Bills team that was in discussion for competing for the first overall pick. Giants were supposed to compete for the superbowl, Jets were supposed to go 0-16. Now the Jets are 2-2 and the Giants are 0-4. The Rams are leading the NFC West where everyone was only talking about the Seahawks and the Saints looked completely lost for two games on defense and then dominate the next two games and shut out the Dolphins, etc.pp.

I love this season so far, not only because we are doing good but also because "underdogs" are doing great and clear favorites are not as good as many thought they would be.

So it really feels like anything can happen. A Redsksins win tomorrow would perfectly fit the narrative of this season so far. So let's go get it!

@Panninho it's looking like the Pre-season used to.  Teams would play poorly in the first couple of games, then work hard during the weeks leading up to the opener to correct what was needed. Now the CBA keeps the hitting and real coaching and practice at a distance. That distance appears to be Weeks 3-4 in today's NFL.  I'm not putting much stock in the NFL's first two weeks of the regular season.  I think the better teams will begin to emerge in weeks after 3 & 4.  Also think that teams suffer from the media hype when they're getting over-hyped like we've already seen this year.  We're seeing more of who teams are at week 3 & 4 then anything viewed and speculated upon prior.  Injuries start to mount after the first month.  The good teams that managed to stay primarily intact after the first month will be better to weather the storm of very talented teams that just didn't have enough real practice and coaching before. Every old school NFL Pro points this out.  I'm not owning this explanation, rather just repeating the logical narrative. 

Things I will not factor into my prediction:

I'm gonna remove the whole Skins + MNF = doo-doo (as a general rule).

The Skins being a "dominant" defense.  Until I see more of the same, and see it consistently.

KC being the most explosive offense on the planet (but that Kareem Hunt kid is good).

The Skins can definitely win this game, would be a huge win on the road, and gain them even more confidence moving forward.  Talent-wise overall, I think both teams match up pretty well.  I read KC's start LT could possibly miss the game with back pain?  Hmmm...

I want to pick the Skins, I really do, but I think the Chiefs win a close one:

Skins - 24

Chiefs - 27

I thought we had about a 40% chance of winning before I saw the injury report... Crowder, Reed, Swearinger, Allen, Foster all didn't practice on Saturday. Even worse, Will Compton is now on the report. 

The Chiefs will be without one, possibly two of their OL as well as Dee Ford at ILB.

The cards were already stacked against us and this injury report is one more check mark for them. 27-20 bad guys. 

8 hours ago, Panninho said:

This season is really strange/interesting. It feels like there are no teams that are clearly superior. I mean the Patriots suck on defense and lost 2 out of 3 games at home. The Falcons lost to a Bills team that was in discussion for competing for the first overall pick. Giants were supposed to compete for the superbowl, Jets were supposed to go 0-16. Now the Jets are 2-2 and the Giants are 0-4. The Rams are leading the NFC West where everyone was only talking about the Seahawks and the Saints looked completely lost for two games on defense and then dominate the next two games and shut out the Dolphins, etc.pp.

I love this season so far, not only because we are doing good but also because "underdogs" are doing great and clear favorites are not as good as many thought they would be.

So it really feels like anything can happen. A Redsksins win tomorrow would perfectly fit the narrative of this season so far. So let's go get it!

Very well said!!..I love that the patriots are loosing..as well as the cowboys..the packers aren't hot..neither are the saints(I guess I am looking more at the teams we play, I know we don't play the packers)the seachickens look beatable.I think we can beat the niners, hang with the Vikings and beat the chargers..the donkies will be tough but it's a home game at least...the vagiants not playing so well scares me when it comes time to playing them but meh...with the way it's lookin so far it makes it alot easier to be a fan now a days..

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

I thought we had about a 40% chance of winning before I saw the injury report... Crowder, Reed, Swearinger, Allen, Foster all didn't practice on Saturday. Even worse, Will Compton is now on the report. 

The Chiefs will be without one, possibly two of their OL as well as Dee Ford at ILB.

The cards were already stacked against us and this injury report is one more check mark for them. 27-20 bad guys. 

Allen is off the report & had a full practice.  Coach said DJ was "Just resting".  Hell, we won't really know much until about an hour before game time.  Always remember, they dropped "probable" as a designation in 2016 (a **** for us fantasy players) so it's either "questionable" or "doubtful" now.  Here is a great stat about the Redskins particular usage of these designations; "Of the 86 players the Redskins listed as questionable, just seven did not play. That is a league-high 92 percent play rate in 2016."  This is important to take into consideration, especially with the Redskins. Hail

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-questionable-doubtful-nfl-injury-reports-0908-story.html

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

They also will be without Eric Berry, their all pro Safety.

Would not want to be a LT with back problems facing Smith and Galette...

Gotta say, pretty impressive completion % from Alex Smith considering the oline issues they've had.  Even more impressive that he's been able to get the ball downfield.  Here's hoping we can buck the trend.  

After seeing the Oak OL get manhandled, I expect KC to give us a heavy dose of short quick passes from the leagues vet elite game manager. That's probably what they would do anyways. I want tight man with a 4 man rush and Montae at Free. We need to hunt down and contain Hunt, and put out best cover LB/S on Kelce.  Maybe put a shadow on Smith if he is running rampant early.

And run the ball.  I think we are going to see a heavy dose of Kelley tonight. After the successes from last week pounding the rock up the gut over and over, and on D going sans blitzing, I expect much of the same. 

I'm hoping week 1 was an aberration, but if it wasn't, I'm worried we might see some of the same - 'busted' coverage from Smith extending plays, and their TE going off.  

The good news is that I'm far less worried about their ground game and short passing attack after seeing us play against Oakland.  still worried, just less so

I've mentioned some of the things I think the Chiefs could do to attack us, the uptempo offense to reduce the chance for Swearinger to get the secondary set is another.  

Here is the thing about KC's offense. It is very QB friendly, because they don't take a lot of chances. They don't stretch the field, let alone even try.  It is all about YAC.  The defense absolutely better be ready to make tackles and not do the "lunging in to make a hit" stuff tonight.   You stop guys at the point of where they catch the ball and you can stop this offense. Are the 'Skins the defense to do it? Hard to say....it is so early in the season that we're still at the point where every week feels like a semi-surprise.

As far as our offense? Run the ball as much as possible, run that clock, win time of possession. Keep the ball away from KC as much as possible.

I think this is the game we come back down to earth.  The Chiefs right now are the best team in the NFL.  Only team without a loss.  Averaging a 12 point win each game.  What we did against the Raiders was phenominal, but keep in mind this is still a young defense.  One of the hallmarks of youth is inconisistency, and while I think we have clearly improved, I dont think we have to the point of jumping up to top in the NFL.  Because if we win, thats what we will be.  Our 4 opponents so far would be the 3-1 Eagles, 3-1 Rams, 2-2 Raiders, and 3-1 Chiefs.

So Im not expecting much, but really really hoping for something amazing two weeks in a row!

Even though the Chiefs are dang good and everyone is picking us to lose, These are the games when Kirk Can make all the difference.I think the D plays admirable but not as good as last week. Kirk is forced to put it on his shoulders. Hopefully he is ready for the challenge,  Go Skins!!

A few hours til kick-off. 

With a bye week coming up, leave it on the field, give everything you got. 

The Chiefs are beatable, and we OWE them one, and this is the best time as any to deliver a little pay back.

" wait til he comes around the corner and pop him in the mouth".  

They can keep their Hunt and whoever else they want. WE got a guy named Thompson who is gonna show the Chiefs how its done, Redskins style. 

9 hours ago, CTskin said:

Will Compton really isn't that good.  I prefer Spaight.  He got more snaps than Compton last game also.

12 hours ago, Probos said:

Things I will not factor into my prediction:

I'm gonna remove the whole Skins + MNF = doo-doo (as a general rule).

The Skins being a "dominant" defense.  Until I see more of the same, and see it consistently.

KC being the most explosive offense on the planet (but that Kareem Hunt kid is good).

The Skins can definitely win this game, would be a huge win on the road, and gain them even more confidence moving forward.  Talent-wise overall, I think both teams match up pretty well.  I read KC's start LT could possibly miss the game with back pain?  Hmmm...

I want to pick the Skins, I really do, but I think the Chiefs win a close one:

Skins - 24

Chiefs - 27

article from 2016 about Skins primetime woes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/11/17/the-redskins-dreadful-prime-time-record-is-still-a-thing/?utm_term=.235d6050ee96

==The Redskins in prime time since 2008:==

Thursday, Sept. 4, 2008, at Giants: L, 16-7
Monday, Nov. 3, 2008, vs. Steelers: L, 23-6
Sunday, Nov. 26, 2008, vs. Cowboys: L, 14-10
Sunday, Dec. 7, 2008, at Ravens: L, 24-10
Monday, Oct. 26, 2009, vs. Eagles: L, 27-17
Monday, Dec. 21, 2009, vs. Giants: L, 45-12
Sunday, Dec. 29, 2009, vs. Cowboys: L, 17-0
Monday, Nov. 15, 2010, vs. Eagles: L, 59-28
Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010, vs. Colts: L, 27-24
Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010, vs. Cowboys: W, 13-7
Monday, Sept. 26, 2011, at Cowboys: L, 18-16
Monday, Dec. 3, 2012, vs. Giants: W, 17-16
Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, vs. Cowboys: W, 28-18
Monday, Sept. 9, 2013, vs. Eagles: L, 33-27
Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013, at Cowboys: L, 31-16
Thursday, Nov. 7, 2013, at Vikings: L, 34-27
Monday, Nov. 25, 2013, vs. 49ers: L, 27-6
Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013, vs. Giants: L, 24-17
Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014, vs. Giants: L, 45-14
Monday, Oct. 6, 2014, vs. Seahawks: L, 27-17

The Redskins’ season-opening loss against the Steelers on “Monday Night Football” dropped them to 5-20 in prime time since Joe Gibbs left for a second time after the 2007 season. Washington has been outscored 662-423 in those 25 games, or by an average of 10 points per nationally televised contest.
-----
The Redskins have gone 2-6 in eight Sunday night games during that span, the most recent a 24-17 loss to the Giants in December 2013. The Redskins’ last win on Sunday night was a 28-18 triumph against the Cowboys in the final week of the 2012 season to clinch the NFC East title at home. Washington has lost seven consecutive prime time games at home since then.
---------

Archived