Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The trend is he puts it on the ground in limited touches so far, going back to the preseason.

I thought he had a middling game.  I need to see more, but he had a chance to claim the gig and he didnt.

I'm not sold on him having a fumbling issue yet... we'll see how his hand is, but I honestly believe a large % of the RBs on any level fumble that ball.  Helmet to hand, it's going to happen. 

He didn't blow me away by any means, but I don't think he did enough for people to write him off as not being able to be effective on this level. 

Jay loves the big back stuffing it up the gut. I like that he trotted out a FB last night, to help make that statement. Sure, it was likely because Reed was out, but it may also be a change in Jay, to vary his attack from week to week. At least I hope it is. 

I think the Perine fumble was likely a great play by the D more than a fumbling issue. Perine gets a pass from me in a tough first start. He did THE heavy lifting for the offense before bowing out, which made CT and even likely Mack Brown's jobs a little easier.

Did Perine get 1st team practice reps? I doubt it after hearing Kelley practicing all week, and the play calling looked very basic for Perine, almost like he didn't get many 1st team reps. Mack Brown knows the system and clearly had more dynamic play calling, Jay perhaps also using him to his strengths, calling lots of outside zone and letting him use his speed more.

17 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm not sold on him having a fumbling issue yet... we'll see how his hand is, but I honestly believe a large % of the RBs on any level fumble that ball.  Helmet to hand, it's going to happen. 

He didn't blow me away by any means, but I don't think he did enough for people to write him off as not being able to be effective on this level. 

I agree. I think Perrine did okay. Biggest negative for me was that he didn't have any WOW plays. I would have really liked a few flashes of power or clever feet or something that makes you think "Wait 'til he figures it out."  Brown gives you those flashes. 

The game against the Raiders was a good example of how to use the run game when you don't really have a superstar (at least one hasn't emerged yet) on your roster.  You stay committed to it anyway, use it enough to pick up the chunks of yards you can. You fight hard to pick up about 3 yards a carry, but you keep doing it to wear down the defense and keep then honest.

2 minutes ago, Nobledictator1278 said:

Also on a side note, I think Reed has lost a step.....I know he is injured, and it seems injury prone.  I love Reed and think he has been a beast for us, I think we should try to trade him to see if we can get something for him.  Davis is doing fine in his stead.

Sprinkle time? 

Back on topic, really hoped Perine was going to show more, but it's also a rookie first start. 

Has anyone heard any injury update on him this morning? 

Chris Thompson has been run down from behind twice in two weeks.  I guess he's more quick than fast, even though he ran 4.42 at the combine.

He shoulda scored on that long catch and run.  And last week, the DB closed on him and just ran out of room.  If he had 5 more yards, he woulda caught him.

While it is a different game, and the days of Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith/Thurman Thomas have sailed, the fact is that the team needs a RB situation stable enough to force Jay to have balance. I saw a stat recently that Jay is now something like 16-3-1 the last three years when his team gets 100 yards on the ground and they are 3-15 when they don't. They want to limit CT to 10-12-15 touches a game to make sure he holds up... I think Brown needs to be in the mix. Not sure he's a guy that can carry 20+, but we haven't tried. He's definitely more explosive. He's also going to have an occasion -2, -3 carry trying to bounce outside, but he's going to also get into the defensive backfield a little more.

4 minutes ago, Nobledictator1278 said:

Also on a side note, I think Reed has lost a step.....I know he is injured, and it seems injury prone.  I love Reed and think he has been a beast for us, I think we should try to trade him to see if we can get something for him.  Davis is doing fine in his stead.

My fear is that Reed is going to go the way of Jimmy Graham.  Does he have some big games and plays left in him? Sure.  However he is so fragile that it is hard to count on him when everything is on the line.  It's hard to game plan around Reed when one hit and he is removed from the game because he hurt.....something.  How do you give a big contract to a player like that?  It's just a tough decision to make. 

I found it telling in that Brown's first snaps last night, he was in pass pro. That says Jay now trusts him to protect Kirk. Pass pro deficiencies is what we are often told is the big hangup on why that back we love never gets to play.  It may be Mack Brown next week - load up fantasy owners. I hope Kelley is not given a full week of 1st team reps again. Maybe it was a bluff to fool Oakland into game planning for Kelley, but likely not with Perine cut from the same mold.

Courtesy link to Brandon flipping a DB Spencers moment of glory I mean CTs 74 yarder

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000851091/Chris-Thompson-takes-bubble-screen-74-YARDS-for-near-TD

I imagine we have backs scheduled to visit this morning.  That guy from preseason I cannot remember his name.  We just missed out on Chris Johnson. Maybe Larry Johnson or Willie Parker are available. 

I think regardless we can find one good back in the bunch.  Thompson is fantastic, obviously, but we knew that.  Brown looked good last night, but I think the Raiders Dline was also worn out.  Perine was fine outside of the fumble.  Kelley was good the other day, though Im just not sold on him.  The issue with telling whether Kelley in week 1 and Perine in week 3 were any good is that we telegraph all of our runs so badly.  Everytime we motion that receiver in tight to block, everyone in the stadium knows its a run and then Kelley and Perine have to go against a full on run rushing front 9.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Chris Thompson has been run down from behind twice in two weeks.  I guess he's more quick than fast, even though he ran 4.42 at the combine.

He shoulda scored on that long catch and run.  And last week, the DB closed on him and just ran out of room.  If he had 5 more yards, he woulda caught him.

I noticed that.  I wonder if he gets winded easily.  It may be a matter of a small tank.  Not sure how much conditioning will improve that.

Im not concerned about the Fumble.  That was just a perfect hit on the football.  Every running back in the NFL fumbles on that type of hit.

My problem with Perine is he seems to lack vision and explosion.  He has power and he falls forward, so thats good.  but there were more than a few runs where he seemed to run up the back of his line.

I think its way to early to write him off.  He is clearly a back that needs to get into a rhythm, but 19 carries and you cant even crack 60 yards?  Yea he needs to get better.

9 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

Im not concerned about the Fumble.  That was just a perfect hit on the football.  Every running back in the NFL fumbles on that type of hit.

My problem with Perine is he seems to lack vision and explosion.  He has power and he falls forward, so thats good.  but there were more than a few runs where he seemed to run up the back of his line.

I think its way to early to write him off.  He is clearly a back that needs to get into a rhythm, but 19 carries and you cant even crack 60 yards?  Yea he needs to get better.

That's pretty much where I'm at, but he has to relax and calm down.  Like you said he is just running up the backs of the line sometimes.  To anxious.  That's why I think Brown is better right now.

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I think regardless we can find one good back in the bunch.  Thompson is fantastic, obviously, but we knew that.  Brown looked good last night, but I think the Raiders Dline was also worn out.  Perine was fine outside of the fumble.  Kelley was good the other day, though Im just not sold on him.  The issue with telling whether Kelley in week 1 and Perine in week 3 were any good is that we telegraph all of our runs so badly.  Everytime we motion that receiver in tight to block, everyone in the stadium knows its a run and then Kelley and Perine have to go against a full on run rushing front 9.

Yes. When Brown came in the Raider's D was done. Not sure Brown would have looked so much better at beginning of game, but who knows. You'd think if he was better he would be higher on the depth chart. Surely the coaches know who's better.

Just now, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Yes. When Brown came in the Raider's D was done. Not sure Brown would have looked so much better at beginning of game, but who knows. You'd think if he was better he would be higher on the depth chart. Surely the coaches know who's better.

My guess is it must be pass protection.  Only thing I can think of, or he just is not as good in practice.  It happens.  

Archived