Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

Looks like we might get a chance to see Mack Brown in action too...

I liked what our run game did yesterday, and it's been a while since we've had a legit change of pace back like Thompson who can score any time he touches the ball.  I hope we can build on this.  After Oakland, the defensive lines we see should soften a bit.  

Kelley looked a bit out of sorts after getting past the LOS and facing off vs a safety etc. I feel like there was yards to be had outside, vs going into juke mode. He was pissed at getting tackled. I give him a pass though, because he hasn't gotten to the 2nd level like that in past 10 months or so, and was a little rusty in space. Very tough sledding for ~8 straight games.

One of my favorite plays was Perine with a catch on the left sideline... yep that 1 for 0 yards.  Kirk zinged that ball and it was a tough catch, yet Perine made it look easy.  We all saw today what a back with hands can do. Part of CTs great run was likely the lambs thinking pass. CT is trending up, but we can use a guy that does the same when he gets a breather to keep our playbook stocked up.  Who is our backup hands back... we never had one. We may now though.

The Perine resume is always about how he has the OK career rushing record. The dude has hands too. I want to see our offense with Perine / CT as our 1 2 punch.

But I read that a guy with fractured ribs can play. I believe it's called a flak jacket.  I am not sure Kelley will be inactive next week.

I hope Kelly gets back soon - rib injuries come in all severities., but I also think Perine will surprise a lot of his doubters with a chance to carry 15 times against honest defense, not 8/9 in the box.  He punishes tacklers, even when its only at 2 yard run.

Man Chris Thompson is a dangerous dude isn't he? I'm so happy for him, so psyched that we stuck through him during his early injury problems in his career.  What a player.

12 minutes ago, SKiNz Jus 2 sick said:

Mack Brown should be getting some carries finally

Imo He's better than Kelley

And here I thought I was the only one that thought that.  Personally I could care less if Kelly is out for the next few games and Brown in.  In fact if Brown was in those plays where Kelly broke to the secondary I would bet anything he gets a lot more yards.  Like that first time Kelly is out in space and instead of going outside he tries to juke the SS only to just get tackled.  Brown most likely takes it to the outside and gains another 20 yards if not going all the way.  Please Gruden bring Brown from the PS

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

And here I thought I was the only one that thought that.  Personally I could care less if Kelly is out for the next few games and Brown in.  In fact if Brown was in those plays where Kelly broke to the secondary I would bet anything he gets a lot more yards.  Like that first time Kelly is out in space and instead of going outside he tries to juke the SS only to just get tackled.  Brown most likely takes it to the outside and gains another 20 yards if not going all the way.  Please Gruden bring Brown from the PS

Then why is Brown on the PS and Kelley the starter?

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Then why is Brown on the PS and Kelley the starter?

Why is Grant loved so much?  Why is Lauvao in at LG?  Why is McGee listed as the starting DE across from Allen?  It's anyones guess why, but Gruden has his ways, some of which we don't agree with.  

I like Mack, and I hope he has a chance to do something.  I think he's faster then Kelley, and has an ability that we've lacked at RB for some time... the ability to break the big one.  Thompson has shown the ability to do that but we have to be careful with his snaps... I'm excited about the Perine / Brown / Thompson backfield.  

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Why is Grant loved so much?  Why is Lauvao in at LG?  Why is McGee listed as the starting DE across from Allen?  It's anyones guess why, but Gruden has his ways, some of which we don't agree with.  

I like Mack, and I hope he has a chance to do something.  I think he's faster then Kelley, and has an ability that we've lacked at RB for some time... the ability to break the big one.  Thompson has shown the ability to do that but we have to be careful with his snaps... I'm excited about the Perine / Brown / Thompson backfield.  

Kelley's more of a power back than Brown.  And from what the announcers said Lauvao hahad a pretty good game

15 minutes ago, carex said:

Kelley's more of a power back than Brown.  And from what the announcers said Lauvao hahad a pretty good game

agree on both parts, was just responding to the question of why Brown PS and Kelley is the starter.  Prior to this game, there was a lot of people (myself included) saying that Lauvao just wasnt good enough. 1 game doesn't change the whole opinion, but there have been quite a few personnel decisions that fans question, including Mack Brown. 

34 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

agree on both parts, was just responding to the question of why Brown PS and Kelley is the starter.  Prior to this game, there was a lot of people (myself included) saying that Lauvao just wasnt good enough. 1 game doesn't change the whole opinion, but there have been quite a few personnel decisions that fans question, including Mack Brown. 

It may have to do with pass pro more than running. As a former fullback, I suspect that Kelley is our best "blocking" and blitz pickup running back. That said, I would like to see running back by committee until someone truly earns the starting position. This week, Kelley was very good. Hopefully, it's the start of something for him and his rib injury turns out to be just a bruise.

Just now, Burgold said:

It may have to do with pass pro more than running. As a former fullback, I suspect that Kelley is our best "blocking" and blitz pickup running back. That said, I would like to see running back by committee until someone truly earns the starting position. This week, Kelley was very good. Hopefully, it's the start of something for him and his rib injury turns out to be just a bruise.

report are they're broken so it's gonna be a while... 

Very well may be, it would make the most sense.  I hope the O-line can do most weeks what they did yesterday... at that point, who is carrying the ball wont truly make a difference.  Thompson was running behind the same line and he broke it, something Kelley isn't capable of doing.  I like Kelley a lot, and I feel like he's a good RB, but I'd like to see Brown get a shot because he seems to be more inclined to break the big one.  If these guys can accent eachother, watch out, they each have very solid strengths. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

report are they're broken so it's gonna be a while... 

Thanks for the info. even though it sucks. I like Kelley too. I have called him a singles hitter several times though yesterday he slugged a couple of doubles. What I expect from him is three yards a cloud of dust and a broken tackle. Brown, Perrine, and Thompson I think all have more ability to create bigger plays if they get through the hole. 

Against the Eagles there were several times where I saw Kelley break through and I was about to get excited only to learn that when the dust cleared he had managed only four or five yards. He just doesn't have much escape velocity. What he does have is power and so if he's hit behind the line of scrimmage, we do see him break that contact and stumble forward for two yards.

I don't know who our featured back should be or is. I think Kelley isn't so far above the rest that he should put on the flak jacket and start. I'd like him to heal and see Perrine and Brown. After all, let's take advantage that we thought we had four backs good enough to make the roster.

I wish CT was more built up / durable, because I'd be giving him Kelly's carriers as he's our best back and its not even close.  I agree it looked a couple times like Kelly said "Oh wow, I'm in the secodary", and looked for contact vs looking for more yards.  I mean, he's only a second year player, so there's room for growth.  That's the best I've seen our o-line run block in a long time, hope they can keep it up.

Kelley is the definition of JAG.

OL had a great game. They needed it after week 1. They dominated a stout DL yesterday for a large portion of the game. Kelley was hitting holes any back could hit, but just absolutely sucking at the 2nd level. Pathetic juke attempts, cutting in when the outside is wide open, can't break tackles, etc. The run game could've taken us to 30+ points with a legit back running yesterday.

Perine thankfully started to look good with more carries, even in the face of a stacked box and Gruden going away from pulling run calls for some reason. Perine was fantastic late. Churned away and got us down field. Plus he hands too.

Time for Perine to shine and hopefully relegate Kelley to the bench.

56 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

People are pumping Brown because their franchise savior Keith Marshall is out for the year. :ols:

Nah, it's because he's the back up quarterback and everyone loves the back up QB. Besides, he has a weird knack of producing in his very limited number of opportunities.

CT reminds me of Kelvin Bryant.  He is a great change of pace back and a fantastic third down threat to run or catch.  At one point, we thought Kelvin Bryant should just be the guy and we made him THE GUY...I don't recall that going particularly well.

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Nah, it's because they overrate his ability and don't understand that he is a practice squad player.  

We draft Perine and people still want to see Mack Brown get carries.  Makes no sense to me. :)

As an accent, not a priority.   CT can't carry the load full time, and Perine is a rookie.. to want him to carry the ball 25 times a game could be dangerous... if we can let them share the load while Perine continues adjusting to the NFL it could be a good thing. 

Archived