Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

Chris Thompson has been run down from behind twice in two weeks.  I guess he's more quick than fast, even though he ran 4.42 at the combine.

He shoulda scored on that long catch and run.  And last week, the DB closed on him and just ran out of room.  If he had 5 more yards, he woulda caught him.

Last night the guy had an angle on him.  And the guy was faster, but he did have an angle too.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Perine just doesn't have great vision right now. He's running into the backs of his own OL most of the time. He's gotta commit cut and go.

Mack Brown is the better RB right now.

I'm on the Mack Brown bandwagon.  Better vision than Perrine, better speed than Kelly. 

I was not encouraged by the post-game press conference when Jay Gruden was given a chance to praise Mack's performance and he essentially said Mack's a third stringer and played only because the other guys got hurt.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I bet SP thought he broke his hand seeing as much pain as he was in.

Someone said he was bleeding from the mouth or chin, but I didn't see that. I thought he had his hand to his mouth, wrestling with removing his Garcon grade mouthpiece from inside this face mask.

When they showed him walking back to the locker room, I saw him bleeding from a cut on his right bicep.  

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Last night the guy had an angle on him.  And the guy was faster, but he did have an angle too.

It looked like CT was running out of gas. He surprisingly looked much slower than the DB. It wasn't just the angle IMO.

Jay suggesting Brown remains the backup, maybe Jay really prefers a stout pound the rock guy. No matter what, he needs a backup every week but he may be backed into a corner here. Flip a coin who we see next week. My guess is Kelley.

If Kelley's good to go on Monday, I have a feeling that Samaje won't be suiting up. A bad contusion on the hand is a recipe for fumbles... which is already something that's becoming a cause for concern.

He ran like a rookie. He admitted to having big time nerves in preseason game 1 when he fumbled and they were back in full force last night. He showed zero vision or patience, but that will come with experience. He'll clean everything up, but for now Kelley is the starter, which is something that Gruden had no hesitation about stating.

As far as Brown goes, I don't understand where everyone claims to see his speed. Not that 40 times are necessarily the best display, but he, Kelley, and Perine are within a couple hundreths of eachother (just over 4.6). Aside from Brown's pass pro, I thought he looked average-at-best last night. There was a cutback run behind Moses, by design, where he had all sorts of room to run, but instead managed to get caught up behind the lone blocking WR. Mack is young and green just like Perine, so I'll give him the same inexperience/nerves excuse.

I would be really curious to see how Lev Bell, the RB with the best vision in the game, would do behind this line. A lot of people think we need to invest a high rated draft pick on a RB, I just don't see it that way. When the line creates holes then the RBs look good. Very rarely do running backs look good when they have to be creative and overcome no running lanes. 

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

Chris Thompson has been run down from behind twice in two weeks.  I guess he's more quick than fast, even though he ran 4.42 at the combine.

He shoulda scored on that long catch and run.  And last week, the DB closed on him and just ran out of room.  If he had 5 more yards, he woulda caught him.

Yeah - unacceptable - cut him now.

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The game against the Raiders was a good example of how to use the run game when you don't really have a superstar (at least one hasn't emerged yet) on your roster.  You stay committed to it anyway, use it enough to pick up the chunks of yards you can. You fight hard to pick up about 3 yards a carry, but you keep doing it to wear down the defense and keep then honest.

Quick point, it's much easier to stay committed when your D is playing so well. I am pleased we did stick with it though

Interesting nugget from VDavis. Watching him abusing LBs and DBs in the open field, coupled with his experience, he would seem to be an authority.

One thing about Perine showing little vision or patience last night, that may have been a directive from Jay for all we know. KISS theory at work.  Does that sort of guidance from a coach to a 233 pound rookie in his first game, facing one FB dive after another play call, seem all that far fetched? 

We know from last week practice reps mean nothing WRT to who starts. My gut says Kelley whose eyes will be tearing up after he sneezes shortly after telling Jay he is 100% good to go. Jay could dress all 4 backs. I think Perine will be able to dive / run right and not use his left hand much. Kelley will be good for a decoy, a few runs and play action. Mack and CT fill in the gaps.

My fantasy guru I follow makes no mention of Mack as a good week 4 option but common sense would seem to imply he may be a surprise starter. 

6 hours ago, Dan T. said:

You mean David Amerson?? I know its easy to hate on him after he resurfaced and balled out in Oakland however they aren't talking about him like they were when he first got there and I preached to them, he was decent with us at first as well, just like he was in college and then teams figured him out .

Perine hasn't shown me anything.  He is just another Matt Jones.  Through his first 3 games, Jones had 46 carries for 139 yards or 3 ypc.  4 receptions for 37 yards or 9.2 yards avg.  Perine 40 rushes for 116 yards or 2.9 ypc.  2 receptions 6 yards.  So they are very equal at this point.  But we spent a high pick on something we already had perhaps.  Time will tell but unimpressed at this point.  Just because you can run in college does not necessarily mean you can do it at this level.  

1 hour ago, carex said:

seems to me the current big issue with our backs is  that we've got four and two of them are hurt

It would seem wise to have someone come in and take a look.

I have a feeling Kelley is saying he is fine but really doubt those ribs have been tested.  I bet doctors are telling Jay Perine is good to go, it's just a bruise. Both seem truly questionable to me - can they survive the full game vs a stout D if Jay keeps his run run pass game plan of late. 

At minimum I would think its a good day to dress 4 backs.I am still not seeing fantasy guys giving Brown any love, but I am certainly eye balling him. I think there is a decent chance ~20% Brown is our surprise starter, not unlike Perine was named after a week of Kelley practicing. Ribs let you practice, its the whole hitting thing. Heh, you know what, with the bye week looming, I bet there is a good chance CT gets the start and a heavy workload. You heard it here first.  Paul serves as our emergency 3rd back.

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Perine lost like just another guy out there, he's not ready to take Kelly's job.  If this keep going the way it does, I don't think our feature back is on the roster.  We should do what Dallas and Jax did and use a first rounder on a stud since we're committed to the run now.

**** that, Perine is better than Kelley. Dont know the injury status, but he damner broke his hand on that fumble. He get's a pass for that. At least with Perine he falls forward and gets yards. You could see the Raiders DL getting worn down because of Perine.  Kelley shouldnt even be on this roster, sorry.  He shouldnt had beat out Brown last year. If Mack Brown gets a full start, Kelley will never get that #1 spot again. We absolutely have to give Brown a fair shot before we start talking about using our 1st pick next year on a RB. 

13 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

**** that, Perine is better than Kelley. Dont know the injury status, but he damner broke his hand on that fumble. He get's a pass for that. At least with Perine he falls forward and gets yards. You could see the Raiders DL getting worn down because of Perine.  Kelley shouldnt even be on this roster, sorry.  He shouldnt had beat out Brown last year. If Mack Brown gets a full start, Kelley will never get that #1 spot again. We absolutely have to give Brown a fair shot before we start talking about using our 1st pick next year on a RB. 

Stop it, everyone wanted Kelly over Brown  and the proof was there in the preseason and the regular season. When Kelly gets back, lets see how he does now that Gruden is actually running the ball cause last I saw, Kelly was tearing up the Rams before he got hurt..

8 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Stop it, everyone wanted Kelly over Brown  and the proof was there in the preseason and the regular season. When Kelly gets back, lets see how he does now that Gruden is actually running the ball cause last I saw, Kelly was tearing up the Rams before he got hurt..

Kelly is solid....so is  Perine,  but Mack can house it. We have  a nice rotation going. It's Brown's turn. Thompson emerging as the best 3rd down back in the league.

Don't understand the willingness to give up on Perine. While not a earth shattering performance, it was almost guaranteed that he would get 3-5 yards each carry regardless if he was met immediately by a tackler or not. What I saw was a back with HUGE value due to his ability to consistently put our offense in 2nd and 5-7yd situations if we run on first down. That opens up your playbook wide open. I didn't see a single one player or arm tackle bring him down, and on more than one occasion the play was blown dead while he was still on his feet. His ceiling is a lead back, but his floor is so valuable as a compliment to a good change of pace back be it Mack or Thompson. I'd like to see how the season plays out and MAYBE draft a special COP/one-cut back in the middle rounds next year, but no way in hell do I want us burning anything higher than a 3rd on a freaking running back.

I also think Mack owes Perine BIG time for the runs he had late in the game. Perine is a back that is at his best in the 4th quarter after his running style has the defense tired and worn down. He would have finished closed to 100 yards if he didn't get hurt, imo.

Way too soon to be judging our running backs. Our O-Line wasn't opening up holes until game 2 and it's still way too early on any of our young back to be calling for any of them to be replaced.

Lack of patience causes players like Chris Thompson to be breaking out for a different team than us. Think about that before you write our young guys off so quickly. Kelley is the only one we have extended film on, and only a half season at that. 

Look at Gore's numbers Sunday. Chris Johnson.  Ugly numbers happen every week to proven guys. Perine survived his first game, but that injury/fumble hurts his chances to nab the #1 spot. Per Jay - it's Kelley''s job when he is healthy, but like others want to see more Mack Brown, and Perine once he is healthy.

I have a sneaking suspicion Mack gets the start on Monday. I think we are seeing some gamemanship from Jay this year and it wouldn't surprise me at all. 

I find it telling he ran Perine up the gut over and over, and Mack was allowed to get wide. Jay is trying to use guys to their strengths. Perine is just not going to wow up the gut. Not unlike Kelley in the 8 games before we started using the OL's mobility. I think he prefers Mack as the backup because he doesn't want him doing the requisite runs up the gut to soften up the D / keep them honest. He like CT is not built for it, but Jay may need a healthy #1 for 1 week.

We have no idea who starts Monday.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:30 PM, RandyHolt said:

Heh, you know what, with the bye week looming, I bet there is a good chance CT gets the start and a heavy workload. You heard it here first.  Paul serves as our emergency 3rd back.

I think you're right.  When Gruden was at Cincy, he always had a big back and Giovani Bernard.  I think CT is similar to Bernard in a lot of ways.  Gruden will use CT much like Bernard in Cincy.  He can win a game that features CT.  He has done it before.  I like this idea

I actually though Perine had a few runs up the gut he was an ankle tackle away from breaking big or even taking to the house. 

One thing we gotta remember, especially when it comes to rookies and skill position players.  When the starter is taking first team reps all week or the majority of the week and suddenly it's Friday and you are told you will be starting, you aren't going to have very much time to get the cohesion, timing, rhythm, of the starting offense down.  I am sure everything is quicker, stronger, etc etc when you practice with the starters.   The running game as opposed to a WR running a route, is very much about being in sync with the 5-7 guys in front of you.  Everything has to work for the play to flow downhill like water.

7 hours ago, kingarthur65 said:

I think you're right.  When Gruden was at Cincy, he always had a big back and Giovani Bernard.  I think CT is similar to Bernard in a lot of ways.  Gruden will use CT much like Bernard in Cincy.  He can win a game that features CT.  He has done it before.  I like this idea

If I predict them all starting in various posts I will certainly nail one of them!

I have seen gamesmanship from Jay this year. With Crowder week 1 hip no hip announcing him healthy and ready to go on a Friday night?  Kelley practices all last week but doesn't play.  And lately, he sure has been a real chatter box about his backs.

For some reason Jay is now going out of his way now to proclaim Kelly the starter... did anyone think Perine stole his job with a 2.6 average and a fumble, and an injury on top of that, all after Kelley's best showing in ~half a season? 

I am not sure Jay even knows who is starting Monday night. Perine is far from a slam dunk to be 100% and may even be unable to secure a ball in his left hand, remembering the pain he was in. Jay is telling all who want to listen that CT is not getting more touches. Yes Jay, we heard you. Last year.  He also went out of his way to downplay Brown's shining in spot duty.  Mack Brown's first few snaps Sunday night had him in pass pro, which shows Jay's hand - he actually trusts Brown. You can tell us Jay!

We all know his 2 leads are not 100%, and he told us the bottom 2 will not be the lead back. Empty backfield???

It's becoming entertaining listen to him dance around his thin RB situation. 

Archived