Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

It may have to do with pass pro more than running. As a former fullback, I suspect that Kelley is our best "blocking" and blitz pickup running back. That said, I would like to see running back by committee until someone truly earns the starting position. This week, Kelley was very good. Hopefully, it's the start of something for him and his rib injury turns out to be just a bruise.

I was wrong, just heard a report that it isn't a break it's cartilage damage. No further information about a timetable as of yet

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I wish CT was more built up / durable, because I'd be giving him Kelly's carriers as he's our best back and its not even close. 

If CT was 30 pounds heavier he'd be one of the top 3 backs in the league. Same with Jamison Crowder if he had more inches.  Glad they are on the team in their actual state though. 

52 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I was wrong, just heard a report that it isn't a break it's cartilage damage. No further information about a timetable as of yet

To be fair you have to note that this translates to the sternum. Ribs connect to the sternum via cartilage (witch is extension of the bone). It feels the same as a break. If you've never experienced a broken rib, but have had at a minimum a broken nose, you can't even touch your nose without it closing your eyes. This is an extremely painful injury. He'd have to be pumped full of slowing pain killers to play, even 2-4 weeks from now. 

54 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

If CT was 30 pounds heavier he'd be one of the top 3 backs in the league. Same with Jamison Crowder if he had more inches.  Glad they are on the team in their actual state though. 

A full dose of Perine is exactly what the Dr. Orders here. Straight up run the gut, pull the tackles, screens, and play action. I'm not concerned.  RT Moses being able to play is the larger concern ($.02)...Gruden can set up his plays pretty well vs all the tape available.  and there's a lot to work with vs the Raiders. Motivation, high energy run game, creative play calling and we have a football game! 

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Do you guys want Peterson? :P

No. 

Did you see the video? He's not a team player.

27 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

To be fair you have to note that this translates to the sternum. Ribs connect to the sternum via cartilage (witch is extension of the bone). It feels the same as a break. If you've never experienced a broken rib, but have had at a minimum a broken nose, you can't even touch your nose without it closing your eyes. This is an extremely painful injury. He'd have to be pumped full of slowing pain killers to play, even 2-4 weeks from now. 

Absolutely.. i was just correcting my comment from earlier about the report i heard that it was a fracture... still painful no doubt, just clarifying

So coming in five pages behind and not reading everything first, sorry if i re-hash anyone's points.

I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people think it should be based on the supposed talent level of the backs. No one flashes, so to speak.

Thompson does, but he's being used perfectly. It's one of the best things you can say about the offense through two games, we're using Chris Thompson for everything they told us he could be while he was hurt early on in his career...  but, i think it is clear an every down guy he is not. That's not a knock , it just means it ain't broke, so don't fix it. He is being used Perfectly. Capital P. yesterday if he catches one of Cousins most accurate throws of the year so far, he has another long TD. The play was designed for him, and he broke that poor man's ankles that was trying to cover him.)

But, i think we do have a lot of good churners who can grind out a game like yesterday. 

One thing i think Rob Kelly shows especially is the more you use him, the better he gets. He seems to run harder as the game goes on. If he gets creases, he can bust them open. He isn't a home run hitter, but he will rumble into those linebackers until they're ready to drop. his vision needs work,, a lot of times i think he misses the cut to the open, Yesterday he had one in particular that he broke off the pile, but then turned back in instead of taking the outside.. there was one DB over there.  Get fat, fat Rob! Roll his ass. Even if he made the tackle it looked like another 7 or 8 yards. I think i see this a lot from him, but i have to remind myself i am watching TV and can't see it all. 

Samaje Perine has some really shifty hips. Sometimes it looks like his hips and legs decide wherre to go and it takes the rest of him a split second to get over there with them. Super quick direction change on a single step... when his vision improves, i am very excited for what he can do. I would like to see him pop one into the open field to get a feel for his breakaway speed.. in due time.

and yesterday it took him a while to get the feel of the game and stop hesitating. Holes don't stay open for long and they often don't look like a hole that a rookie is used to seeing. But he did start to get his feet under him and that will undoubtedly improve.

If it's a heavy dose of Perine against the Raiders, I'd like to see a few carries for Mack Brown. He has shown the potential for some real pop..; some guys just seem to get to the hole faster than others.. he explodes through. 

I am mostly concerned about Lauvau and Long, they tend to get beat more than others, but if they're going forwrd, they can make blocks. So I think that returning to the future is in order.. the NFL was a smashmouth league, then it got pass happy, and now smashmouth is coming back. Get the best out of your OL, use them for what they're best at, and it's run blocking. They can maul people, so let them.

The Redskins should become known as a running football team, knowing that if defenses key on it Cousins does have the ability and the playmakers to make them pay.

The potential is there. 

~Bang

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Or a local anesthetic. When I cracked a rib and also when I had a separated shoulder i played but got a local shot before each game.  You wanna talk about some serious pain, a needle getting stuck in your AC joint and feeling the liquid getting injected....brings phantom pains back to me this day 

I just wonder if Gruden will keep it up with the running game. It's year 4 and he just now realized that he needs to be running it more.

Maybe it's possible that with mcvay gone and Gruden not wanting to be an OC too that Callahan has more input into the play calling after a disaster week 1.

Lets just hope that we have enough rbs if one more goes down we're looking at guys like Ray Rice lol.

27 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Or a local anesthetic. When I cracked a rib and also when I had a separated shoulder i played but got a local shot before each game.  You wanna talk about some serious pain, a needle getting stuck in your AC joint and feeling the liquid getting injected....brings phantom pains back to me this day 

I once separated the cartilage in my ribs trying to remove a rusty bolt off an engine exhaust and that pain was unbelievable. Couldn't cough, laugh, stretch, lay down etc. The assholes at work were doing dumb **** everyday trying to get me laughing just to crack up at me in pain lol.

Oh and it didn't go away for many months.

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

Yeah that cartilage at the sternum is essentially an extension of your ribs.  Meant to protect the body's vital organs (heart & lungs), so it's painful like a bone.  For any healthcare provider that's performed CPR (correctly), you always break those ribs to cartilage connections with the first couple of compressions. They snap like bones.  Guess they could do some sort of block or numbing local, but it's not like a joint. In an A/C joint, knee, or hip you can reduce swelling with steroidal injections (not PEDs) and pump them up with Tordal, which won't inhibit their faculties.  IDK man, it really comes down to pain tolerance because the injury is just pain tolerance.  I'd say the biggest reason to sit him is that when he gets hit, with this type of injury, it'll hurt so much he might not be able to hold onto the ball. I think it's a fumble risk at most. Might as well just go with Perine/CT/Brown and let him sit this one out. If they give up a fumble in that game, probably won't be able to win it.

Of course just our luck right when Kelley finally starts rolling he gets injured. 

How much time Kelley misses should be related to pain tolerance but I expect the flak jacket and a week shaved off. I want this to be an audition for Perine and Mack though. I am very intrigued at using Perine out of the back field.

All right so I was at the game, and I mostly focused on the running plays because going into the game we were just awful at it, so I was trying my hardest to watch the plays develop and see where they were going wrong.

Fortunately I got to witness a pretty stout running game to my surprise and glee.

One thing being there live and having a "bird's eye view" did was give me a new appreciation for play design vs. execution.  On every single running play, you can see where the run play is designed to go, where the RB actually goes, and if the O-line created lanes and space.  Also, the one underrated element that I never noticed on TV, but could see much better live for some reason was the need for the second level field vision by the RB to take those 3-5 yard rushes and really take off.  

By all accounts Rob Kelley had a hell of game before getting injured, but it was clear as day he could have had an even better day if he had made a few different choices on where he chose to cut back on certain runs.  A lot of times when he would get 3-4, it looked good to the law of averages, but you could see wide open space that he missed.

Never have I appreciated Morris's field vision more than after really concentrating all my effort on the run game yesterday.   Morris physically was nothing special. I suppose he gets props for being stronger than his size would indicate and not going down a lot on first contact, but to me his best attribute was always seeming to know when/where to cut back to get the most out of his runs. 

It's a real shame Chris Thompson doesn't have the size to be an every down back, because out of Sunday's committee of RB's, he seemed to do the best when it came to field vision. Perrine is still so raw that he gets a pass for now.

7 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

As an accent, not a priority.   CT can't carry the load full time, and Perine is a rookie.. to want him to carry the ball 25 times a game could be dangerous... if we can let them share the load while Perine continues adjusting to the NFL it could be a good thing. 

Brown is a PS player, who got cut and nobody signed and ended up back on our PS. He had one good run.

5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Get out

5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Get out

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

All right so I was at the game, and I mostly focused on the running plays because going into the game we were just awful at it, so I was trying my hardest to watch the plays develop and see where they were going wrong.

Fortunately I got to witness a pretty stout running game to my surprise and glee.

One thing being there live and having a "bird's eye view" did was give me a new appreciation for play design vs. execution.  On every single running play, you can see where the run play is designed to go, where the RB actually goes, and if the O-line created lanes and space.  Also, the one underrated element that I never noticed on TV, but could see much better live for some reason was the need for the second level field vision by the RB to take those 3-5 yard rushes and really take off.  

By all accounts Rob Kelley had a hell of game before getting injured, but it was clear as day he could have had an even better day if he had made a few different choices on where he chose to cut back on certain runs.  A lot of times when he would get 3-4, it looked good to the law of averages, but you could see wide open space that he missed.

Never have I appreciated Morris's field vision more than after really concentrating all my effort on the run game yesterday.   Morris physically was nothing special. I suppose he gets props for being stronger than his size would indicate and not going down a lot on first contact, but to me his best attribute was always seeming to know when/where to cut back to get the most out of his runs. 

It's a real shame Chris Thompson doesn't have the size to be an every down back, because out of Sunday's committee of RB's, he seemed to do the best when it came to field vision. Perrine is still so raw that he gets a pass for now.

Thanks for the analysis and well said reg. vision.

Its a shame Dalvin Cook didn't fall to us in round 2. He'd have been perfect for this offense. Fantastic vision and can catch out of the backfield.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Brown is a PS player, who got cut and nobody signed and ended up back on our PS. He had one good run.

I thought that too, but I checked last week,  He actually is on the roster, he was inactive against the Rams though

12 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Of course just our luck right when Kelley finally starts rolling he gets injured. 

How much time Kelley misses should be related to pain tolerance but I expect the flak jacket and a week shaved off. I want this to be an audition for Perine and Mack though. I am very intrigued at using Perine out of the back field.

Kelley wasn't really rolling though. His numbers looked better because the blocking was better. He left about 60 yards on the field due to poor vision. If he is the best we have, assuming they don't want the wear and tear on CT, we are in big trouble. Instead of running towards daylight he will turn it back into traffic and look for contact. Makes absolutely no sense.

4 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Kelley wasn't really rolling though. His numbers looked better because the blocking was better. He left about 60 yards on the field due to poor vision. If he is the best we have, assuming they don't want the wear and tear on CT, we are in big trouble. Instead of running towards daylight he will turn it back into traffic and look for contact. Makes absolutely no sense.

Late in his career Portis used to fall down when defenders would get close to him.  Not everything we see makes sense.

But this was the most yards he has had in 8 games - that can't be denied.  Rolling just meant getting positive yards and moving the chains. Roto says he was "tearing up the" lambs. 

Yes, I agree he lacked the open field polish we expect from an NFL back but he is raw still - he is an undrafted UFA after all. Jay doesn't play him for his open field prowess.  I found a little solace in him basically acknowledging he screwed up soon after getting tackled.  I think 60 seems a high estimate of missed yards, it wasn't clear sailing by any stretch had he cut outside on those 2 runs.

Archived