Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

34 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

if anyone reads skin em alive's post up there, make sure you don't tell the rest of us what he said

On this day, Jumbo called a poster out for posting a long-winded, convoluted, rambling (but valid) point.  

:) 

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Jesus Christ. Who the **** even cares? A goddamn cardboard box with a face on it would be better than Trump. 

Seriously. 

We’re approaching end of empire stuff at warp speed, and we’ve got people in here complaining about meaningless crap. 

If you aren’t willing to walk over broken glass to defeat the GOP, you are part of the insanity that is leading to the decay of this country.

15 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Black voters like Biden.  You can say un-PC stuff and no one will care as long as the base likes you.  Trump is ghastly proof of that.  It's not even remotely hypocritical to be black and support Biden after something like that either.  The alternative party is overtly and obviously White supremacist--which was Biden's point.  He spoke the truth, just in a dumbass way.

There’s a really simple way to understand why minority voters, especially older ones, backed Biden. He demonstrated he can work in a role where he defers to the leadership of a black man without trying to one up him or prove his superiority. 

When white people ask how they can be allies to minorities, they can look to how Joe Biden worked with Barrack Obama.

I can’t tell you the amount of times in my career I’ve had some white guy, far less qualified than me, try to assert his dominance for nothing more than his perceived sense of cultural and racial superiority. Minorities in this country deal with this all time, especially when they are in leadership roles. 

A huge part of the racial animus in this country is driven by the fact that a solid chunk of white people cannot agree to a hierarchical society where they are subjected to the leadership of outgroups they deem racially or culturally inferior. Being under the leadership of minorities is their worst nightmare. It’s why Donald Trump’s path to the presidency started with a racist conspiracy that delegitimized the leadership of the first black President and that at least 50% of conservative accepted as truth.

We know an ally when we see one. And that’s why every Bernie Bro allegation of “Biden’s a conservative racist!!!” fell flat and why Kamala Harris couldn’t ding him for the bussing issue (even if she had a valid point). 

39 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

If you’re not voting in November against the GOP, you are no different than these people: 

In fact, you are their enabler.

It’s ironic that they want their ‘freedoms’, they oppose ‘tryanny’, and yet they have no problem telling YOU how to live.

47 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

A huge part of the racial animus in this country is driven by the fact that a solid chunk of white people cannot agree to a hierarchical society where they are subjected to the leadership of outgroups they deem racially or culturally inferior. Being under the leadership of minorities is their worst nightmare. It’s why Donald Trump’s path to the presidency started with a racist conspiracy that delegitimized the leadership of the first black President and that at least 50% of conservative accepted as truth.

We know an ally when we see one. And that’s why every Bernie Bro allegation of “Biden’s a conservative racist!!!” fell flat and why Kamala Harris couldn’t ding him for the bussing issue (even if she had a valid point).  

Good point, and great post.  I think you're right that him accepting the leadership of a black man was a powerful symbol.  And that hierarchy of White supremacy is deeply ingrained here and has driven politics in areas where ever ethnic minorities live since the 1670s.  I don't think it's going away unless the demography of the country becomes a true plurality rather than a huge white majority.  And if/when we approach that tipping point, I think white supremacists will retrench and become more vicious, overtly unjust, and desperate.  Maybe a return to the kind of speech and policy that we saw in the South and the West in the 19th century at times when White supremacy and demographic majorities were less secure.

I think an additional reason why Black voters support Biden is that he sincerely and concertedly campaigned for their support.  He's spent a lot of time politicking in Black communities and cultivating relationships with Black leaders and getting their endorsements.  If a campaign is a zero sum question of how to spend time and money, Biden has spent a lot of time and money gaining the support of Black voters.  His engagements with Black communities are not reactionary moments of political opportunism as is utterly the case with racist charlatans like Republican politicians and pundits.  And Biden's effort to secure the support of Black communities has proven to be a very smart strategy.  Set aside that seeking to give Black communities influence in American politics and be an honest ally to them in their pursuit of racial justice is an honorable goal--Black voters delivered Biden the nomination.  They led the rest of the Democratic base to support him when it was divided among a handful of candidates and rescued his campaign in South Carolina when he was scuffling.

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Your statement applies to sexism too. A lot of men don't want a woman over them because they deem females inferior. Racism and sexism are two sides of the same discriminatory coin.

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Seriously. 

We’re approaching end of empire stuff at warp speed, and we’ve got people in here complaining about meaningless crap. 

If you aren’t willing to walk over broken glass to defeat the GOP, you are part of the insanity that is leading to the decay of this country.

This is a bit of a mischaracterization of what's happening in this thread. There is discussion of how dumb what Biden said was, discussion of whether or not it will hurt him with other voters, and the electoral problems of having nominated a guy who seems to live with at least one foot in his mouth. 

But (with the possible exception of Spaceman Spiff) I don't see anyone suggesting that they will now vote for Trump, or not vote, or vote third party. I don't think there are many (if any) of us who need to be told this latest gaffe or two is no reason to not vote Dem in November. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is a bit of a mischaracterization of what's happening in this thread. There is discussion of how dumb what Biden said was, discussion of whether or not it will hurt him with other voters, and the electoral problems of having nominated a guy who seems to live with at least one foot in his mouth. 

But (with the possible exception of Spaceman Spiff) I don't see anyone suggesting that they will now vote for Trump, or not vote, or vote third party. I don't think there are many (if any) of us who need to be told this latest gaffe or two is no reason to not vote Dem in November. 

agree, I would submit that outside of the bubble of this thread, whether we like it or not, it does matter.  

Feel free to put me on the side of not being so ****sure that Biden is a mortal lock regardless of his gaffes and setting up for another “wtf jus’ happened” election night.

I would not underestimate the depths of dumb, ignorant, and shallow in today’s ‘murica.

Building consensus?  Picking things from other people?  

Doesn't he know that he's supposed to be a completely inflexible ideologue who's plan consists entirely of "blow everything up, and then we'll talk about it"?  

Archived