Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He needs a plurality at least or else the Bernie voters are going to be pissed. If Bernie has a the plurality and doesn't win the nomination, that whole wing of voters is lost and you can go ahead and schedule Trump's next victory speech

They are going to be pissed anyway. Even if he wins. And honesty I expect Bernie to have the plurality and still lose the nomination. Its pretty clear what the Democrats want as a party and unfortunately it aint Bernie. I dont think they lose the entire wing of the party but they will lose some, just like last time. Hopefully it wont be enough to crown Trump again. 

Its not going to be an east race for Joe, thats for sure. Hope he can do it. 

16 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't think he really believes that now. But he says that because it seems like he's not an absolutist. When you're running against a Bernie, you need to seem like you are open to getting things done even if you know the other side will obstruct. The change would need to be if elected. Then he can't be like Obama those first few years trying to reach out.

He already said this is what hes going to do. Thats his whole thing. Try to bridge the gap and get something done. I fear we are going to slide further right because of it. 

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Let people keep voting for folks that have dropped out and assume they know that?

At minimum make sure they know, having two thirds of the ballot dropped out and not saying a word about it on election day seems wrong as hell, we have to do better.

Unacceptable, we have to figure it out. Not interested in excuses, jus solutions.

It's probably not that hard to tape a piece of paper on each booth that says who all has dropped out. Some people also don't need to be voting. If I supposedly think Mayor Pete is the best candidate but am unaware that he is no longer running, it's fair to question why I think he's the best candidate. I'm obviously not a very informed voter.

So wading through all the narratives about how the coronavirus may have impacted turnout on Super Tuesday is going to be all sorts of fun

i hope at least one person of significance drops the idea that the cia released the virus to suppress turnout to steal the election from sanders 

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He already said this is what hes going to do. Thats his whole thing. Try to bridge the gap and get something done. I fear we are going to slide further right because of it. 

Very easy to say  "I reached out, they said No, so we move forward without them."

For all the non-CA residents on the forums. 

Do you all not get automatically sent a mail-in ballot for elections that you can fill out at home and drop in the mailbox (free of postage too) ?

I haven't had to go to a polling location in a long time unless I slipped up and missed the deadline to drop it in the mail.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Do you all not get automatically sent a mail-in ballot for elections that you can fill out at home and drop in the mailbox (free of postage too) ?

I haven't had to go to a polling location in a long time unless I slipped up and missed the deadline to drop it in the mail.

i have never seen one of those. Am i supposed to? 

Headed to the polls in an hour or so

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Or we want to wait until half the candidates drop out before we make our decision

16 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Headed to the polls in an hour or so

Or we want to wait until half the candidates drop out before we make our decision

To be fair the deadline to drop it in the mail is pretty close to election day. 

28 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It's probably not that hard to tape a piece of paper on each booth that says who all has dropped out. Some people also don't need to be voting. If I supposedly think Mayor Pete is the best candidate but am unaware that he is no longer running, it's fair to question why I think he's the best candidate. I'm obviously not a very informed voter.

Fair. And I would accept that as the bear minimum.  That many candidates on the ballot that arent running anymore is a bad look, I hear more excuses then reasons for doing than nothing about it at all.

26 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Never, add that to the list of things every state should be doing.

Voted for Biden. Not excited about it but you play the cards you’re dealt. 

The VA ballot has a lot of names on it that shouldn’t be. People that have been out for months. I didn’t count but it looks like about 15 names 

39 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

We have vote by mail. I actually like going to the polls. Oregon is entirely vote by mail. None of that closing polling places/machines in voter suppression states. Of which Texas is one BTW. They closed hundreds of polling places in majority Black and Latin communities. Time to bring federal lawsuits based on Section 2 of the 14th Amendment.

34 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

To be fair the deadline to drop it in the mail is pretty close to election day. 

We had two major candidates drop out in the past two days.  Steyer while not a major candidate was in the debate last week and also dropped out over the weekend.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

you have to request one here

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Unless the Democrats hold the house and gain the Senate, which still odds say won't happen, you'll have to work with the other side.  And even if they control the Senate, it is going to be close and dependent on several Senators that are from right leaning and very moderate states.

Realistically, if you put a far left person as President instead of Obama, there's really no difference in what was done or passed.  The limitation still comes down to what you can get people to vote for.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Question: Can a candidate pledge their delegates to another candidate?  So for Amy and Pete who dropped out of the race and have a few delegates, now that they have endorsed Biden, can they request their delegates to cast votes for Biden?

They can release them for voting for themselves, at which point the delegates are free to vote for whomever they wish. They can request they vote for another candidate, which likely most of them will, but they can't literally compel them to do so.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

They can release them for voting for themselves, at which point the delegates are free to vote for whomever they wish. They can request they vote for another candidate, which likely most of them will, but they can't literally compel them to do so.

Ok, and how are the delegates chosen?  So, for Pete's ~20 delegates, do we know who they are already?  Does Pete (or Pete's campaign) get to choose?  Or the state?  

Not that it matters that much, because there really aren't that many.  But if it's REALLY close, then it might swing the vote a bit.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So without Bloomberg, this wouldn't be close 😒

He really has made a hash job of all of this.  But I think he's also smart enough to know if he gets wiped out today, his days are numbered and he has to get out and back somebody, probably Biden, ASAP so they can stop Sanders and have any shot at Trump in November.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Question: Can a candidate pledge their delegates to another candidate?  So for Amy and Pete who dropped out of the race and have a few delegates, now that they have endorsed Biden, can they request their delegates to cast votes for Biden?

The rules as they are now, based on my understanding, is that everybody has to vote for who they pledged to the first cycle.  After that, all bets are off.  Amy and Pete can ask their delegates to vote for Biden, but there is nothing binding.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, and how are the delegates chosen?  So, for Pete's ~20 delegates, do we know who they are already?  Does Pete (or Pete's campaign) get to choose?  Or the state?  

Not that it matters that much, because there really aren't that many.  But if it's REALLY close, then it might swing the vote a bit.

Generally, the campaign chooses who their delegates are. 

BTW, to be clear, I'm talking about my understanding about how generally the delegate process works. I think each state has some different rules and there are other factors. For example, I'm pretty sure that no delegate technically HAS to vote for who they're pledged to (similar to Electoral College electors) but almost always will. 

And let me add @Llevron and let me add that psychology has pretty much shown that if you want to convince somebody to change, about the worse thing you can do is show up and announce they are wrong and that you aren't going to work with them or talk to them.

Given there's no actual legislation at stake yet, Biden is actually doing the best thing you can do.  What Bernie does is great at exciting people that agree with him, but on the people that don't agree with him, it has just the opposite effect.

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Generally, the campaign chooses who their delegates are. 

BTW, to be clear, I'm talking about my understanding about how generally the delegate process works. I think each state has some different rules and there are other factors. For example, I'm pretty sure that no delegate technically HAS to vote for who they're pledged to (similar to Electoral College electors) but almost always will. 

This I know to be true because this is how you get the contested convention and all that nonesense.

God, this is such a mess.  

Archived