Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Most Broken Fanbase (Guess Whose #1?)

samy316

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The fanbase is broken. Our home games are half filled with opposing fans...in SEPTEMBER. People don't really care anymore.

They never really did dude. Not hard to go bonkers for a team like the one we had from the early 70s until the early 90s. Redskins fans are just like other fan bases; maybe a little more spirited when things are good; maybe stick it out a tad longer when things are bad.  But in general, they are the same. 

I keep telling the story of my one trip to RFK. It wasn't good. Disappointed in almost every aspect. Stadium emptied out late third/early fourth. Very little energy. It was 1994 and we were bad. Got smoked that day. People had already stopped caring-- and that was only three years removed from a SB. 

Close to the start of preseason and still the Kurt McGriffinhan stuff. Eventually, it would do one good to stop wallowing in whatever exactly it is that they're wallowing in, stop inviting other people to further let them wallow in it, and simply try to enjoy this season.

People will still go to games (the Raiders were also a legendary counter culture franchise that sucked dog ass, worse than the Skins, for 15 years after their last SB appearance. They're doing fine). People will still buy merchandise. People will still watch on tv. The stadium issue is a lot more than simply the team has been hit and miss for 25 years. I'm not going to tell anyone who to root for, but its early August. Every fanbase has a limited window of time to believe that this one season could potentially be something special. It's always good to enjoy that before the reality of it's truth/farce hits you, instead of consistently dragging corpses out of the graveyard and lamenting the past/future

Well, if a prestigious outlet like Yahoo! sports says this, it must be so.

We are a fractured fanbase, given our "home" games have been pretty bad in recent memory. But to say we're more broken than the Browns, Lions, and Bills is way off base. Bills haven't even went to the playoffs since 1999.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I've never seen so many fans chastise others for being positive or angrily berating them for being "part of the problem" when they support their team. Saw this a lot after we had the good draft.

I don't recall seeing much of that as to the draft.  Personally, I loved the draft and complemented the heck out of it.  From what I recall most people did the same.  I was on a Redskins high for weeks after the draft. :)

As for the fan base, you got a strong split with some relating to the Kirk contract and FO structure.  And I don't think either side has the moral high ground.  It's just two different perspectives.  From my observation, the two versions are mostly this:

A.  I got the FO's back.  They have their reasons for what they do and I am going to presume they are almost always smart and done for good reasons.  With a sprinkle (for some) that any editorial against the FO is part of a media conspiracy -- it's us against the world, etc.   

B.  We've been on a 20 year plus crazy ride at QB and the FO too -- with the Redskins lagging the rest of the NFL on both counts. There are things happening now on both fronts that seem strikingly same old same old and the FO doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt considering their past. 

I'd call myself one of the more positive people in terms of predictions year after year.  And thought people were overreacting after the Giants game among other things.  I think they will have a good year this season.  As for the fans being polarized, I think most fans would let go of the FO structure if they get something done with Kirk.  I was hoping they'd resign Kirk not just for future success but to provide a needed vibe of stability.  

The thing about this franchise compared to most, we have had a lot of instability in what many call the holy grail of football success (HC, GM, QB).  This was a rocky off season on that front.  Hopefully, 2018 is smoother.  If it is smooth, I don't think you find much of a fan divide. 

You're actually in Fedex more than me. I linger a bit more in the Tailgate during the offseason. Therefore, I'll trust your barometer is more accurate than mine. I just know some of the incessant negativity towards Bruce Allen, Dan, and the Redskins in general made it hard to read threads at times.

3 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK!    DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK!   DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK!    DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK! 

I saw this yesterday and was really, really, really, REALLY hoping us fans would be able to resist posting such obvious garbage on here and giving it undeserved clicks. 

We aren't number 1, the team is trending upward, the idiot uses RG3 and seriously suggest Bruce was saying Kurt (it's his accent, if you think otherwise, that it was intentional, you are an IDIOT) and at the start says Cowboys are with Pats as a top team. Ummm, half their roster is under arrest lol ! This is article is NOT worth a read, at all. It's so bad that all it will do is anger you at how ****ing stupid it is.

Seriously, can we as fans PLEASE stop posting such crappy ****? Clowns like this don't deserve the attention you're giving them. Let them die in obscurity. 

NOT me Elka...........

Look at my Avi, it's got merit.....It's the year of the Rooster and I'm..........not chicken man. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwyWmxnlXgLYKydmf6-Z6

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

You're actually in Fedex more than me. I linger a bit more in the Tailgate during the offseason. Therefore, I'll trust your barometer is more accurate than mine. I just know some of the incessant negativity towards Bruce Allen, Dan, and the Redskins in general made it hard to read threads at times.

From what I've seen its not holistic negativity about Bruce/Dan or the Redskins but its specific mostly to the Kirk contract and to a lesser degree the FO structure.   So if people are going to the Kirk thread for example after they sent out that press release on the 17th -- not everyone is going to say Atta Boy Bruce, good move -- we back you no matter what.  

I think the FO can solve many of their perception problems if they resign Kirk.  Look at any fanbase -- if you experience instability at FO or HC or QB, you got fan unrest, it just comes with the turf.  If the FO wants smooth sailing with their fan base (like lets say from our division the NY Giants mostly enjoy) its within IMO their control.  Part of the reason why I thought they'd get a contract done with Kirk (I ended up wrong) was it was so ridiculously obvious that keeping Kirk in the fold and establishing stability at that key spot would bring a lot of good will and if they don't it would bring the reverse.   They made their choice and it doesn't surprise me one whit that they have disgruntled fans as a consequence.  They can turn it around.  Like I said its within their control.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I'll make it simple as to how I see this: 

Firing your GM, not hiring another legitimate one to replace him, and not signing your franchise QB to a long term deal = VERY BAD 

Those who recognize the significance of the above are not being overly negative. Those who do not recognize it are simply ignorant, and/or being dismissive, and/or willingly/unwillingly oblivious. 

Extending Gruden, and the general personnel acquisitions via FA and the draft this offseason = VERY GOOD

Those who recognize the significance of the above are not being overly positive. Those who do not recognize it are simply ignorant, and/or being dismissive, and/or willingly/unwillingly oblivious. 

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

I've never seen so many fans chastise others for being positive or angrily berating them for being "part of the problem" when they support their team. Saw this a lot after we had the good draft.

I hear you, and think that's silly when people do that as well. And you know, I love your positivity and every other season since I've been on ES for the last 10 years, I've been step for step with you on the rose colored glasses. 

Just this year, the whole handling of the Cousins contract has been a final straw and punch in the gut for me personally. (And def don't want to derail the thread on that topic, lol). 

My only point was just that even though I think this article is click bait crap, I do think there's a certain level of truth to where we are as a fan base.  

Winning fixes everything, though. ? Maybe I'll be eating my words come January. Nothing would make me happier. 

just wanna put 2c on the "media conspiracy" quip.  while there are certainly Chicken Little's on both sides of this coin...i look at it like this:

out of however many national media outlets there are that cover the NFL, a vast majority of them cover the NFL as a whole.  only the local media focuses on the Redskins exclusively.  based on the consistently repeated 2 line reasoning as to why we will suck this year, it's not far off to guess that hey.....them's just a bunch of lazy SOB's who got to the "Redskins" tab on their sheet & thought: "ugh...i HAVE to write something......here...this is what EVERYONE else is saying.  here are the 5 talking points of their offseason.  ok....there you go." it's just a matter of them not caring, or feeling the need to intently cover, or otherwise analyze the Redskins as a viable NFL team.  not any conspiracy...it's just that they would rather spend their resources on 15 Cowboys stories per week because they believe it drives their arbitrary numbers game.  

as for the local media?  yeah...i believe most of it is broken (& in some ways, very much like the fan base itself).  again...no conspiracy...but i feel like they've concluded that for now, it drives more numbers/clicks/interest when they drudge up the negativity, & gossip mongering.  is that stuff maybe there? possibly relevant? maybe...i dunno...i don't care for it.  i generally just tune-out now if it isn't related directly to X's/O's on the field.  but you cannot say that the local DC media doesn't drive that steak home whenever they got a hammer handy.  we can debate its relevance, or necessity....i'm just saying that i don't buy it as a conspiracy....just laziness, & business.

I can't speak for fans of other teams, but redskins fans are SO QUICK to freak out and call it doomsday about everything.

We've been posting pictures of dumpsters on fire because our GM was let go and we didn't sign a QB long term.

Meanwhile, our team has been doing very well compared to the last oh I dunno 10 years.

It looks as if we almost want our team to fail.  We can't wait for our owner to sue someone or Bruce Allen to say something about a harvest fest or whatever.  We pick at everything and we love to hate it.

I don't blame this little dumb article at all.  I wonder, when will it end?  I truly wonder if this team is 13-3 each year or even wins a super bowl, will we still hate on everything, whether it's personnel decisions or choosing Pepsi for our venue?

We've created this perception by being crybabies about everything.  Perhaps we should just stick to Sundays in the fall and complain about fumbles and interceptions.  Then we would be like every other fanbase and maybe be only #5 on this dumb list.  Would we complain about that?  ...yes we would ;)

3 minutes ago, Dirt said:

It looks as if we almost want our team to fail.  We can't wait for our owner to sue someone or Bruce Allen to say something about a harvest fest or whatever.  We pick at everything and we love to hate it.

I don't blame this little dumb article at all.  I wonder, when will it end?  I truly wonder if this team is 13-3 each year or even wins a super bowl, will we still hate on everything, whether it's personnel decisions or choosing Pepsi for our venue

Thats pure and utter crap and you know it.   Even when the Skins were plummeting down the stretch last season, I was still high on the team long term and vocal about it. For whatever reason, I was foolish enough to believe that things had changed and for once in my adult life this team was following conventional wisdom and building for long term success.  

Not even 2 months into the offseason we sleazily can the GM who we later found out wasn't given the power we were told he had upon his arrival.  We then treat the only QB we've had in over two decades that can put together back to back good seasons like an afterthought, apply the franchise tag and then offer him a non market deal in May.  To put the cherry on top of the crap Sundae, we don't bring in a highly regarded GM and elevate Doug Williams.  Pardon me, if I find these things to be absolutely awful.

This whole Skins could win the Super Bowl and fans would still whine narrative is laughable to say the least.  If by some miracle, this FO finds a way to build a team that can go 13-3 even for one season, Ill be more than happy to eat crow and shower them with praise.  

Replying to @johnnylocal @Gcarmi21

It's Friday night, guys. Go out and enjoy your lives and stop whining.

Replying to @jaybusbee @Gcarmi21

LOL, sez you 2hrs ago. Bro, I'm past the age of going out to enjoy myself. Imma fine right here, with a Chisel La Flor Domincana @LFDcigars

I think we are a broken fanbase.

The most broken? Eh.

I think we'll do ok this year. It doesn't mean we'll go 1-15. It just means our organization is broken, the way it does business is ridiculous, and the results of the last 10 years speak for themselves.

Many of the people defending the team now, basking in the optimism of August, will be there holding pitchforks and torches if the team starts 1-4.

I know this because I've seen it, and been a part of it, entirely too much over the last 10 years.

The list is stupid and the comment section of the article agrees. I did not know that the Lions have only won ONE playoff game in 60 years. We have more SB wins than the other teams on that list combined! The Redskins are dysfunctional asf, but we are not a broken fan base. Most would say our fan base is dillusional if anything. Lol!

If he defines a broken fans as the fans mostly likely to bail on their team I think his conclusion might be right.  I find his assertion that Skins wasted a generational talent in Griffin absurd.  Griffin NEVER displayed an aptitude for the pro game, he seems unable to process a field quick enough to operate an NFL offense.  Running a gimmick high school offense was never a sustainable NFL option because running QBs will get hurt.  He had chances in 2013, 2014 and 2015 to show some progress and failed.  Cleveland gave him a shot and my memory is correct he got hurt almost immediately.

Maybe Griffin could have made a career at WR like Pryor before his 2012 injury.  Since then he doesn't seem to have the lateral quickness to play WR.  He seems to have his straight ahead speed still but to be elusive he'd need some of his old lateral quickness in my option.  Maybe he's got but I didn't see it post injury with the Skins.

But back the fan base issue, I don't know if we are  the most broken but I think the support of many fans is very tentative now because Snyder has made so many mistakes that lots of us are close to their pain thresholds.  I know I am.

8 hours ago, tshile said:

I think we are a broken fanbase.

The most broken? Eh.

I think we'll do ok this year. It doesn't mean we'll go 1-15. It just means our organization is broken, the way it does business is ridiculous, and the results of the last 10 years speak for themselves.

Many of the people defending the team now, basking in the optimism of August, will be there holding pitchforks and torches if the team starts 1-4.

I know this because I've seen it, and been a part of it, entirely too much over the last 10 years.

I agree with all this, however WE as fans of the Redskins have the right to carry torches and pitch forks, that doesn't make the fan base broken, WE are still here afterall.

I am seeing the team trending up, it may take more than this year, but the vibe is mostly good....around the players and the Coaches anyway. BTW the Owners never took a snap in the history of the NFL, so are WE the fans rooting for the FO or the product on the field.

I think WE have the right to **** about the price of Beer, the lackluster stadium experience, the sad moves made in personnel.....the W/L record.....Fans rights. That has not changed. My issue wasn't being on the list, my issue and suspicions comes from the #1 ranking. 

EH, our fans probably deserve to be on this list. However, being number one is simply this writer's attempt to kick dirt in the eye of the franchise because it's easy to do. The problem is that now too many of us fans expect doom and gloom instead of expecting success. And that feeling has been reinforced by years of mediocrity at best. It is easy to assume failure every year when that is all you see for the majority of your life. I was fortunate to witness the glory years of Riggins, Thiesman, Monk and Gibbs. I am kinda shocked that this team even has new fans that are only in their twenties. But I try to keep an open mind with what is really going on inside the locker room and on the field, while trying to not let the negative media cloud my opinions each year.

Personally, I am optimistic for the season. I'm not a homer by any stretch, but believing this team can go somewhere between 7-9 to 10-6 this year and being in the hunt for the playoffs is reasonable IMO. Sure it's a tough schedule and the Redskins don't have a history of stringing together winning seasons, but there is talent on this team and they are led by relatively solid coaches, especially on the O and D lines. Time will tell, but color me optimistic, even though this team is still owned and run by complete buffoons. I just think the talent and coaching will win out and allow this year's team to perform in spite of the clown-show that exists in the front office.

2 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I am seeing the team trending up,

I'm with you except for this part.

I certainly thought that up until February. Then I saw the organization do what it always do - publicly humiliate someone on their way out, for whatever reason. 

Then I realized the culture of the business operations never changed and never will. Sure, you can win that way, but it seems like the least likely way to me.

Theyve killed my Redskins soul. It's gone. I have no more ability to conjure up hope.

Archived