Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Most Broken Fanbase (Guess Whose #1?)

samy316

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

I'm with you except for this part.

I certainly thought that up until February. Then I saw the organization do what it always do - publicly humiliate someone on their way out, for whatever reason. 

Then I realized the culture of the business operations never changed and never will. Sure, you can win that way, but it seems like the least likely way to me.

Theyve killed my Redskins soul. It's gone. I have no more ability to conjure up hope.

Yet you're still here. 

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How many teams get boo'd by their own fans?

We've boo'd Moss and Portis and some of the best players we've had over the last 20 years. Is that normal?

I think it's a symptom of a broken or garbage fanbase, but I don't know if it's unique to anyone.

MANY teams get booed by their own fans.  MANY great players get booed.  It is not uncommon or unique to the Redskins, not at all. It has happened for years. Hail

59 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

MANY teams get booed by their own fans.  MANY great players get booed.  It is not uncommon or unique to the Redskins, not at all. It has happened for years. Hail

sounds like something a broken fan would say. :D

I know they do.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've boo'd Moss and Portis and some of the best players we've had over the last 20 years. Is that normal?

I think it's a symptom of a broken or garbage fanbase, but I don't know if it's unique to anyone.

Philly been booing their own team as long as I remember but don't take that as a high bar, lol. 

GOOD MORNING I'VE ALREADY CRUSHED A FIVE-MILE RUN AND NOW ENJOY RICH PERUVIAN COFFEE AS I PONDER- ...fine. I'm bed-tweeting and so are you.

6:34 AM - 5 Aug 2017

Ashburning Retweeted Jay Busbee

Hahahha, how old is Jay, staying in bed all morning......this really gives some insight.

Replying to @jaybusbee

and you said get a life, wow, hahahha, I already exercised, fixed a riding mower, register son at school, sitting here crushing lunch. #HTTR

8 hours ago, Wyndorf25 said:

EH, our fans probably deserve to be on this list. However, being number one is simply this writer's attempt to kick dirt in the eye of the franchise because it's easy to do. The problem is that now too many of us fans expect doom and gloom instead of expecting success. And that feeling has been reinforced by years of mediocrity at best. It is easy to assume failure every year when that is all you see for the majority of your life. I was fortunate to witness the glory years of Riggins, Thiesman, Monk and Gibbs. I am kinda shocked that this team even has new fans that are only in their twenties. But I try to keep an open mind with what is really going on inside the locker room and on the field, while trying to not let the negative media cloud my opinions each year.

Personally, I am optimistic for the season. I'm not a homer by any stretch, but believing this team can go somewhere between 7-9 to 10-6 this year and being in the hunt for the playoffs is reasonable IMO. Sure it's a tough schedule and the Redskins don't have a history of stringing together winning seasons, but there is talent on this team and they are led by relatively solid coaches, especially on the O and D lines. Time will tell, but color me optimistic, even though this team is still owned and run by complete buffoons. I just think the talent and coaching will win out and allow this year's team to perform in spite of the clown-show that exists in the front office.

I like your post.  The writer did kick dirt in the ownerships face as you said but I believe it is warranted.  Snyder keeps the team in turmoil, every few years it seems there is a major meltdown that is Snyder induced in my view.  Now we are on pins and needles again instead of comfortable after back to back winning years driven by a young pro bowl quarterback.

The GM that contributed to the winning years and seem to augure a new era of professionalism and stability gets canned and the extension of the pro bowl QB that would have happened any of the 31 other franchises never occurred.  Snyder induced chaos and drama.  

Like me you I expect another winning year but unfortunately I am not bullish beyond 2017 because I don't have any confidence in Snyder.   

On 8/4/2017 at 0:13 PM, Burgold said:

I've never seen so many fans chastise others for being positive or angrily berating them for being "part of the problem" when they support their team. Saw this a lot after we had the good draft.

(Note: I don't think you are one of those people and I'm not calling you one of those people. Your post just made me think of all the times I read fans attacking fans.)

Really?  While there is there's plenty of the usual salty fan behavior--knee jerk reactions & turning on players for getting injured or having a bad stretch--to me this board is a safe space for super defensive homers who can't handle criticism of the team from outside sources at all.  My experiences with Nationals and Wizards communities are nothing like this.  I haven't really been a member of Redskins communities outside of this one, but I'd be a little surprised if they were the same way.  Maybe you were talking about the fan base as a whole?

On 8/4/2017 at 8:12 AM, CrypticVillain said:

The only reason this "might" make sense is the fact that we've had past success.

Other than not, we're not the most broken franchise in the NFL. Even with the McCloughan fiasco and the ridiculousness of Cousins' contract, the team, for the most part, is still in good shape.

Really.  You see them in good shape.  Oh yeah it's possible they get back to the playoffs this year but most likely not.  Not only that, but they will most likely lose Cousins next season along with the multitude of one year contracts they brought in this offseason.  Plus they have Bruce Allen running the franchise.  If that doesn't get you to put in an old super bowl video tape, nothing else will.

httr

I think this list is more of a joke than well most lists you see ... ever. 

I mean what is the premis for a broken fan base ... I mean for the redskins still to have a fan base after everything that has happened over the last 20 years ....and considering the whining that goes on here ...is nothing short of a miracle... the fans we have are far from broken ... they are battle hardened fans to the end... 

i mean you could call call browns fans a little broken when they come out with factory of sadness signs in the preseason ... or the paper bag jets fans .... that when it first happened was kind of shocking but when guys start bagging up because of a crappy series in game they win .... meh 

But you really wanna talk broken fan bases ... how about the dolphins fans .... most dolphins fans I know in the uk just kind of became fans of the dolphins because they went on holiday to Florida once .... which shouldn't even work because the bucs are the most local team to Orlando but hey .... 

Or raiders fans who started following their nomad team because they wear black 

but my favourite broken fan base are the cowboys fans who are thefifinition of bandwagons ( seahawks fans also kind on fit into this but a more recent phenommemun ) but I have seen the quintessential cowboys fan the other day on a monility scooter with a New York yankies cap and cowboys top - who said to me "go New York cowboys " -clueless and broken  ... 

The fanbase is broken at the moment. And it starts with the awful ownership we have been cursed with.

The Redskins haven't been to the NFC title game since 1991. The failures are too long to list at this point, and in the Snyder era have turned into a national punch line.

It is going to take multiple winning seasons, doing the right things, in a row to start to turn the tide.

The team looks good for the upcoming season, but will it be able to sustain any type of consistent success? I am not even talking about the Patriots type success

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The fanbase is broken at the moment. And it starts with the awful ownership we have been cursed with.

The Redskins haven't been to the NFC title game since 1991. The failures are too long to list at this point, and in the Snyder era have turned into a national punch line.

It is going to take multiple winning seasons, doing the right things, in a row to start to turn the tide.

The team looks good for the upcoming season, but will it be able to sustain any type of consistent success? I am not even talking about the Patriots type success

28 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I am most defenitely broken as a fan.

But the most broken? I mean Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo Broken? Jets even?

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nah, it's really not.

I remember seeing a game at RFK in the '80's. Rypien completes an 8 yard pass to Art Monk for a first down against San Diego and the entire stadium erupts in boos because we all see Sanders streaking down the sideline with no defender within 20 yards.

The fan base was not broken in the late 80's and if Redskin fans can boo Ryp and Monk... they can boo anyone.

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Except for the Browns, all of those teams have been more successful on the field. I don't think any have been less embarrassing off the field.

More successful? What is your criteria? 

The Redskins have 3 Super Bowl Titles out of 5 trips to the big game.

With the exception of the Jets, none of those teams even have one Super Bowl Title between them. Heck, the Lions and the Browns have never even been to a Super Bowl (yes the Browns have Championships from the old days, but I presume you are just sticking with modern era football here :) ).

So how are they more successful if winning the SB is the ultimate goal?

12 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The Redskins have 3 Super Bowl Titles out of 5 trips to the big game.

With the exception of the Jets, none of those teams even have one Super Bowl Title between them. Heck, the Lions and the Browns have never even been to a Super Bowl (yes the Browns have Championships from the old days, but I presume you are just sticking with modern era football here :) ).

So how are they more successful if winning the SB is the ultimate goal?

The Lions have not been champions since the 50's but their long time owner William Clay Ford was a beloved and admired by the community.  His widow and son took over recently.   The Fords may not have won but they are respected, it would be very unfair to group them in with Snyder.

Just now, Veryoldschool said:

The Lions have not been champions since the 50's but their long time owner William Clay Ford was a beloved and admired by the community.  His widow and son took over recently.   The Fords may not have won but they are respected, it would be very unfair to group them in with Snyder.

The Redskins won championships in the "old days" too. Remember they have been around for 80+ years.

Besides, we weren't talking about respect. We were talking about success.

The idea that the Lions or the Browns or the Bills have been more successful than the Redskins is ludicrous.

23 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I wasn't talking about all-time, obviously. More looking at this century. I used to get all upset and emotional about their blunders every year... now I just don't care. I'm totally resigned to the fact that we will never experience any sort of long-term success under our current "leadership". I bet I've posted less than 100 times in the Stadium over the last year. Watched the draft but didn't know hardly any of the players whereas I used to read up on that for weeks ahead of time. Hell, I didn't even realize the preseason was starting until the day of and I heard them talking about it on the radio. The Redskins were one of the things I loved most in this world... now it's just whatever. Thanks Dan.

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I wasn't talking about all-time, obviously. More looking at this century. I used to get all upset and emotional about their blunders every year... now I just don't care. I'm totally resigned to the fact that we will never experience any sort of long-term success under our current "leadership". I bet I've posted less than 100 times in the Stadium over the last year. Watched the draft but didn't know hardly any of the players whereas I used to read up on that for weeks ahead of time. Hell, I didn't even realize the preseason was starting until the day of and I heard them talking about it on the radio.

Well, if you are just talking about this century, then I get it.

Though I would still say it is pretty close with those other teams. :) 

The first preseason game is this Thursday. Get your popcorn ready. :815:

From my perspective there is a significant difference between following a mediocre or losing franchise that is owned by a good guy who treats people well and loses like William Clay Ford or Art Rooney for decades and following Dan Snyder's Redskins.  In the former case you hope the good guy wins for once and in the later you think he's getting what he deserves and wondering why the hell you're staying on for the miserable ride as karma as doles out Snyder's just deserts.

5 hours ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Really.  You see them in good shape.  Oh yeah it's possible they get back to the playoffs this year but most likely not.  Not only that, but they will most likely lose Cousins next season along with the multitude of one year contracts they brought in this offseason.  Plus they have Bruce Allen running the franchise.  If that doesn't get you to put in an old super bowl video tape, nothing else will.

httr

Good shape as in, at least they're running this organization as a football team now and not a circus. The simple fact that we went an entire off-season with the McCloughan firing and the Cousins contract, yet as of today, during training camp, the team has been focusing on football.

The firing and contract could have been major distractions, but no one really mentions either... At the moment.

Remember this was "NFL's Most Broken Fans", I say that while we make that list, we are not runaway most broken fanbase currently. Our Fans have backbone, and stick with the team win, lose or draw. Fight over whatever, but still back the team. 

BTW for all Snyders lacking as an owner, you can't say he is inactive in the community. 

Archived