Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

20 minutes ago, zskins said:

I think you need to change your handle from The Evil Genius to just Evil

If it was last year it would have felt that way. This year this team is playing on totally different level, almost like they are from a parallel universe where they are the best of the best. 

Last year they had perhaps their best team in the history of the franchise (on paper at least). If they had gotten past Pittsburgh the Cup was theirs for the taking. 

7 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Last year they had perhaps their best team in the history of the franchise (on paper at least). If they had gotten past Pittsburgh the Cup was theirs for the taking. 

Except last year they lost both of their home games and couldn't recovery after that against the Pens. They should have won game 4 last year and moved on but couldn't. This year they beat the Pens. This year they are creating their own puck luck. Last year I saw them squander away the puck luck. Like I said they are playing better heads-up hockey and are not getting rattled (even when the refs tried to help the other team). 

Oh my... You people are nuts! As soon as game 3 starts, everyone start posting how Holtby has a shutout going!! :rofl89: I'm half afraid to post anything at all, much less sweep or cup predictions.. Oof. The scars are deep my friends!! And real!!!!! :ols:

2 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Agreed - two big wins but I still think Tampa Bay's too good to roll over and take a sweep. Though they've been lacking in 5v5 play (to say the least) they will pounce on power play opportunities, especially if the zebras keep giving them help like they did last night. 

I would be shocked if the Caps took this thing in a clean sweep. Maybe it's the sting from years past seeping into my head but I'm not gonna rest easy until I see The Great 8 lifting that trophy over his head. I think this thing's going back to Tampa Bay and I think it's going to end in Tampa Bay (either in a Game 5 win for the Caps or a game 7 win for the Bolts).

Just a few random thoughts since I just read through this thread for the first time since Friday.  #1, like thebluefood, I'm in the camp that I still think the rest of this series is going to be a war, although if you look at what has already happened, all the evidence points to a shellacking by the Caps.  Like, there is zero evidence so far that the Bolts can compete with the Caps.  The Bolts have 1 even strength goal through 2 games, and of their 3 PP goals, two came after BS penalties.  5v5 the Caps are up 7-1.  The Caps PP% in this series is 43%.   

#2, regarding Backy, it sounds like his injury is not something that he is going to get back to 100% at any point during the playoffs.  I think you give him one more game off to get him as close to 100% as he can be; there's certainly no reason to rush him.  I think you take advantage of the luxury that a 2-0 lead affords you and get him as healthy as possible because the team still needs to win 6 more and could play as many as 12 more games.  But you slot him back in because he's better than the person who's spot he'll take.  For the record, despite missing the past 3 games, Backy is still third on the team in points in the playoffs, only behind Ovi and Kuzy.  

20 hours ago, Hersh said:

Yes they should. The Caps were winning with Backstrom and Backstrom was had a lot of points. People are forgetting how awesome Backstrom is for some reason. 

I know I know you are right. I guess we slot him back at 2c, Eller back to 3c, Stephenson back up to 2nd line and Vrana down to the 3rd. I think Bura would be the odd man out but that's a tough call. He just seems overmatched and is falling all over the ice and getting knocked around. I just really like the look of Vrana Eller Oshie because Eller is more of an offensive threat than Backstrom because he shoots the puck more often. Especially if Backstrom is limited on shots because of the injury. I was never saying don't put Backstrom back into the lineup, I just wanted to keep our 2nd line intact because the team is absolutely rolling at a level we haven't seen in the playoffs before.

6 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Nhl radio was talking about possible suspension for Kempny. 

No way right?

Kempney was fined $2,419.35 for the cross-check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2018/05/14/capitals-defenseman-michal-kempny-fined-for-cross-checking-tampa-bays-cedric-paquette/?utm_term=.af24916bb62c

TAMPA — Washington Capitals defenseman Michal Kempny has been fined $2,419.35, the maximum allowable under the collective bargaining agreement, for cross-checking Tampa Bay’s Cedric Paquette in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference final, the NHL’s Department of Player Safety announced. Kempny was penalized on the play, and after forward Tom Wilson was suspended three games during the Capitals’ second-round playoff series, Kempny is fortunate the cross-check didn’t result in harsher supplemental discipline.

Washington traded a third-round pick for Kempny in late February, and his addition to the team’s blueline has stabilized the defense. He scored his first playoff goal in Game 1 of this series, and skating beside top right-shot defenseman John Carlson, Kempny has had a 17:37 time on ice during the postseason.

The Capitals have a two-games-to-none series lead on Tampa Bay, and Game 3 of the series is on Tuesday at Capital One Arena.

The most important part of the fine is that if he does it again they might suspend him.

But yeah, fine is fine.  He's on the ice, which is what counts.

Gonna try and watch game 2 of Vegas-Winnipeg tonight.  Seeing as statistically it's likely we face the winner, what with the being up 2-0, I want to scout them a bit.  Will be interesting to see what Jets do.  Do they also dominate as we did, or does Vegas fight back and make a series of it.

59 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Michal Kempny made $900k this year.  So, assuming a linear relationship a $2400 fine would be like a $240 fine for someone making $90k / year.

Exactly.  

If I were in Kempny's situation, because I'm a dick, I would start a gofundme page and crowdsource the fine.  If he did that, I would donate.

Started watching the game last night when it was 2-2 at a bar in the Atlantis Bahamas last night and I go to order a drink and next thing I know it's 3-2 Caps.  Then when the waitress comes back with my drink it's 4-2.  I missed both goals lol.  I think I am the only Caps fan here though, got a few dirty looks when I was cheering for the Caps.  Hopefully I can catch some of game 3 on Tuesday too.

Went golfing today, beautiful day in Virginia Beach. Wore my Capitals Polo proud as I ever have, had multiple people say to me how about those caps. I just smiled and continued to hit double bogeys. 

Archived