Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fixing the The United States Democratic Party

@DCGoldPants

Ok, morning coffee rantings and all (Required legal disclaimer)

I have been following this thread and mulling this issue over, discussing it friends/neighbors/etc., and I seem to see change coming. Bear with me a tad.

Not only did we see HUGE numbers w/ the Women's March, but it was roundly derided and dismissed. Snarky jokes and memes, idiotic comments, it ran the whole gamut. "Hope they're home in time to cook dinner" was the least of it. But that sparked something, it sparked something in women across the country. It gave birth to an incredible amount of networking, connections were made that probably would not have been, conversations were held that never would have happened, and a whole bunch of smouldering anger got stirred up. The women did go home, a lot of them did cook dinners, they went back to their jobs and it was casually, condescendingly written off as "one of those things, you know how women are" by a lot of men, husbands, fathers, politicians, media talking heads and the institutional machinery of both parties. But yanno what? Those women kept talking, they were trading ideas and encouragement and contacts and joining Indivisible yadda yadda yadda.......and the reason I know this is because of the voting in Virginia. Women drove the turnout, women contested seats that the Dem machine had written off, women crowdfunded and friend sourced campaigns, talked about real issues, kept their fire and their focus and won. Won big, won a bunch of seats no one expected, won overwhelmingly without the interest or attention or support of the Dem party.

So this is where we are now.

Virginia got a lot of attention, races elsewhere rode their coattails and got noticed too, and a lot more women have been shown that there IS a path, it IS possible to rock the boat, it's even possible to win, even if and when your own party pooh-poohs you and suggests your stuff envelopes for their choices.

Women talk, they do it well, women support each other and enable each because since time immemorial they have been forced to learn to depend on each other for survival. They have the skills of the underdog and dismissed programmed into their DNA.

And this is their shot, at least it may be their shot, the one best opportunity to rise up and rebel and make themselves heard and have some say in how things are run, and even, though they might not admit it and jinx their chances, seize control and actually become a force in the political arena and the country at large. And they may be right, they might not, can't know 'til we know, but a lot of them are going to try.

And a lot of the memes that women share amongst themselves are going to echo throughout this. They are the child bearers and child raisers, so they have experience dealing with whiny a-holes no matter how old they might be.They are used to cleaning up messes. They are used to kissing booboos and staunching tears. etc. etc and so on.

Now, these things are not directly applicable and in many cases not even true, but that doesn't matter. It is part of the mythology that women share between and about each other.

Jackie Speier was testifying about sexual abuses in Congress itself, got some solid airtime, she did several interviews and there are some politicos on the Hill that have been clutching their pearls about Roy Moore that are going to get outed as abusers themselves.

Fine with me, rock on Jackie.

But it is yet another element in play that is circling the gyno-web, neither side is safe, neither side can be trusted, neither side can be allowed to co-opt their one chance, their shot as it were. And you know all those cliches about knitting and crocheting? That's what they're doing right now, they are knitting together diverse interests across the country to take their shot, to contest every possible seat come the midterms, to have multiple challengers at every step of the way, candidates that don't have the baggage and are not beholden to any special interests. And when the field gets narrowed, the seven other women that didn't get the primary win are going to band together behind the one that did instead of slinking off to lick their wounds and get drunk and talk **** about the other guy like the run-of-the-mill political wannabes do. I foresee a cumulative, multiplicative groundswell of sincere grassroots action coming.

OH YEAH! So let's toss in Harvey and his crap and Roy Moore fingerbanging 14 yr olds and lots of support and lots of excuses and lots of insincere rejections and everything else that's going on right now, that will calm those fervid females and git 'em back in the kitch'n

You always arm to fight the last war, the next one always springs up to bite you in the ass from a direction you never thought to look.

Now I have no idea whatsoever if 314 seats changing in the House on both sides to form a bloc of angry women intent on making everyone hear them say "ENOUGH OF THIS ****!!!" will help at all.

But I am interested to see it and willing to find out.

12 hours ago, zoony said:

Yup,  they filled up on the bread at the Red Lobster all you can eat shrimp extravaganza :P

Need focus, reason, and accountability from the left.  Since the election weve had little more than hysterics

Also the democratic party needs some serious self reflectiom.  I have yet to see that, only repeated affirmation that they are right and everyone else is dumb, racist, ignorant, etc.

Someone gonna tell Zoony that Olive Garden and Red Lobster are basically the same restaurant or...

There is clearly a huge demographic shift taking place in this country. Our politics is in a state of turmoil and shift. 

It is why I am not too interested in the same, debated to death, question of "what about the white working class????".

Yes, West Virginia once voted heavily for Democrats. No, that is no longer the case. 

Once upon a time, suburbs in Virginia, Georgia, Texas and a host of other states also solidly voted GOP, and we are seeing that they are heavily swinging to the Democratic side. 

This past election, Democrats performed much better statewide in Texas than they did in Iowa. Arizona is considered a purple state for elections in 2018z

It is still unclear how this will all play out over the next 4-8 years, but it's a good bet that the political map in the mid 2020s will not resemble what we are generally accustomed to over the last 30-40 years.

14 hours ago, zoony said:

Well, I said lazy, but really you can substitute any condescending, negative adjective.  Lazy, stupid, ignorant, racist, etc.  They all work.  Just dont whine lkke a litttle **** whe n the rust belt votes republican again.

I love when the GOP base does this thing where they criticize the left over stuff that they obviously don't actually care about or else they wouldn't be part of that political party. "The left is going to call us lazy, stupid, ignorant, etc.!!" I call them whiney little ****es in every other post but it's ok when I do it. Donald Trump insults everyone who disagrees with him and sounds like a 7th grader (an immature 7th grader at that) when he does it. The dude insulted John McCain... JOHN MCCAIN and the reason he insulted McCain was for being a POW and his poll numbers went UP!!! Went up amongst "REPUBLICANS"!!! WHAT THE ****?!?!?

13 hours ago, zoony said:

What Ive been saying since the election.  Dems are such hysterical ******* that they have completley crapped out.  Serious question, how does one know at this point if Trump has committed an impeachable offense?  One wouldnt.  Its lost in the ether of over the top hysterics, crying, and whining.  Heres a strategy.. drink a nice warm cup of STFU and save your powder for something important.  

https://newrepublic.com/article/145731/liberals-becoming-knee-jerk-anti-trumpists

If you actually cared about this, you wouldn't be part of the "Republican" Party. Maybe if instead of pointing out every real thing that Trump does wrong, they just made up ****, that would be better?

13 hours ago, zoony said:

Need focus, reason, and accountability from the left.  Since the election weve had little more than hysterics

Also the democratic party needs some serious self reflectiom.  I have yet to see that, only repeated affirmation that they are right and everyone else is dumb, racist, ignorant, etc.

I don't disagree with you on part of this. The last sentence is only accurate because that is what YOU'VE seen because it is what YOU are looking for. If you wanted to see the good stuff, it's not hard to find. But of course, all you want is your repeated affirmation that YOU are right and everyone else is dumb and a whiney little ****.

And again, you don't really care about that. After Bush, did the GOP do any self-reflection? Hell no. They decided to obstruct the democrat president & launch a propaganda war that divided the country. You know what their main weapon was? Hysterics. Trump is your ****ing president. We're having a serious debate about whether or not to support a pedophile for senate. The GOP celebrated with beers on the Whitehouse lawn when they got halfway to ****ing over everybody with a **** healthcare plan just to spite Obama. Maybe you oughta worry about your own party before you rail on how the other needs self-reflection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Was trying to find a good place for this, figure this is about right.  One things is that this guy needs to go:

He left halfway through, saying he had a meeting, then just stood outside.

Like, wtf.

I'm certain he represents the people of Ward 8 just fine, but I'm sure there is someone else who could do so who is also not a raging anti-Semite.

• 3 weeks later...

Nancy Pelosi says she will run for speaker if Democrats win the House — which is just what Republicans wanted to hear

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/nancy-pelosi-says-she-will-run-for-speaker-if-democrats-win-house.html

She's bothering me more and more these days. This isn't sexist or ageism. This is realizing that you can be an amazing fundraiser for your party, while hurting them by insisting you're the leader. Set the **** aside and let somebody new get involved. 

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Have they started lining up who will run for Dems in 2020?

I've heard some early names, but who knows if these are really the people who will run or who will come out on top. At this point, ten years ago Obama trailed Hillary in the polls by about 40 points. That said, the names I'm hearing touted are Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden.

I don't think either would be a great candidate. I think Warren is a great wonk who cares deeply and is a hard worker, but I don't think she has the charisma or personality to inspire. I have a feeling Biden's time is past. He's likable and he actually is or was a blue collar man of the people (how Trump convinced anyone that he was an "ordinary Joe" baffles me. My best guess is that it's because he was willing to curse.)

Before he was railroaded, I would have been curious to see what Franken might do.

18 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Have they started lining up who will run for Dems in 2020?

No idea.

I've been following Montana Governor Steve Bullock on twitter for a bit now. I know a white guy might be boring when you're trying to be the party of diversity. But this guy comes off as far from a Washington Insider as you can. Comes off as a Pragmatic Progressive. 

https://twitter.com/GovernorBullock?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

http://mtstandard.com/news/government-and-politics/bullock-presidential-talk-is-early-but-interesting-senate-not-so/article_84100787-1d6a-57bf-b5ef-473ea66572d2.html

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've heard some early names, but who knows if these are really the people who will run or who will come out on top. At this point, ten years ago Obama trailed Hillary in the polls by about 40 points. That said, the names I'm hearing touted are Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden.

I don't think either would be a great candidate. I think Warren is a great wonk who cares deeply and is a hard worker, but I don't think she has the charisma or personality to inspire. I have a feeling Biden's time is past. He's likable and he actually is or was a blue collar man of the people (how Trump convinced anyone that he was an "ordinary Joe" baffles me. My best guess is that it's because he was willing to curse.)

Before he was railroaded, I would have been curious to see what Franken might do.

Biden I like and respect.  I could possibly vote for him.  Warren I can't stand.  

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Biden I like and respect.  I could possibly vote for him.  Warren I can't stand.  

I can get that. She's pretty far left or at least her reputation is. Whenever I hear her speak, she reminds me of a really good, serious, but utterly boring college professor :)

What I would like from either party is a middle of the road candidate that is willing to negotiate.  Problem with that is even if a POTUS has this quality, Congress doesn't so we still won't get **** done.  At the end of the day, I consider Congress to be a lot more important (and therefore a bigger problem) to actually getting things done.

It shouldn't be that the only way our government can accomplish anything is to have to majority in the Congress and the WH.

23 minutes ago, visionary said:

Just found this, though I haven't had time to look through it yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/23/the-top-15-democratic-presidential-candidates-for-2020-ranked-2/?utm_term=.beccecf1b61b

3, 2, 1 are Biden, Warren, and Bernie...gag me with a spoon.  (they also included Oprah on the list)

Exactly.

48 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What I would like from either party is a middle of the road candidate that is willing to negotiate.  Problem with that is even if a POTUS has this quality, Congress doesn't so we still won't get **** done.  At the end of the day, I consider Congress to be a lot more important (and therefore a bigger problem) to actually getting things done.

It shouldn't be that the only way our government can accomplish anything is to have to majority in the Congress and the WH.

Only addition I have to this is that a more middle of the road and willing to negotiate president can use his bully pulpit to force a bit of cooperation and teamwork. 

Consider that. Our goverment working as a team. Wild thought there. 

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Only addition I have to this is that a more middle of the road and willing to negotiate president can use his bully pulpit to force a bit of cooperation and teamwork. 

Consider that. Our goverment working as a team. Wild thought there. 

I dunno, whenever politicians start agreeing, I start getting nervous.

4 hours ago, visionary said:

Just found this, though I haven't had time to look through it yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/23/the-top-15-democratic-presidential-candidates-for-2020-ranked-2/?utm_term=.beccecf1b61b

3, 2, 1 are Biden, Warren, and Bernie...gag me with a spoon.  (they also included Oprah on the list)

I think that's generally a pretty bad list. Maybe even a lazy list. Terry McAuliffe has ZERO chance for instance and he's 8th? 

I can see a ticket of Kamala Harris (I need to read more about her) and either Sherrod Brown or Mitch Landrieu

Archived