Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fixing the The United States Democratic Party

@DCGoldPants

1)  I don't align with GOP and Trump was not my candidate.  Made that clear many times.  

2)  I "get to do" any damn thing I want to do, junior.

3)  Please quote any post I made where I called anyone in this forum " racist, hateful, intolerant, ignorant, or bad citizens".  Not talking about differences in political opinions.  Liberal insults of that type are as the buzz of flies in my ears, just background noise.

2 hours ago, B&G said:

1)  I don't align with GOP and Trump was not my candidate.  Made that clear many times.  

2)  I "get to do" any damn thing I want to do, junior.

3)  Please quote any post I made where I called any one in this forum " racist, hateful, intolerant, ignorant, or bad citizens".  Not talking about differences in political opinions.  Liberal insults of that type are as the buzz of flies in my ears, just background noise.

The actual phrase I used was "poor example of an American citizen".  For instance...someone who would falsely claim to be "personal friends with four US Congressmen" as way to defend an indefensible, empty political philosophy would be a "poor example of an American citizen".

That is you and you are that.  But, ya know, you could change for the better at any time if you found the courage,  That's what freedom is all about.  The freedom to better yourself.

Good luck!

This post is my swansong on Extremeskins.  Been with ES for a long time but it no longer feels like home.  Adios.

Mods, thanks for all your hard work over the years.  Please delete my account.

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Never again . . . name a Tim Kaine-esque figure as our VP. Annoying, pandering Spanish-speaking. Elicits about as much passion as vanilla ice-cream. 

And he was the more attractive half of the ticket. 

It might behoove us to look back to a speech JFK gave on the campaign trail on September 14, 1960, about his meaning of the word Liberal. It's not a dirty word as the Republicans profess.

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label, “Liberal”? If by
“Liberal” they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his
policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with
the taxpayer’s dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate
that we are not that kind of “Liberal.” But, if by a “Liberal,” they mean
someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without
rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people – their
health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their
civil liberties – someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate
and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by
a “Liberal,” then I’m proud to say that I’m a “Liberal.” 

I dunno. Was Hillary an extremist? Is Schumur, Warren (okay probably), Kaine... I don't see extremism infecting the D party like it has the right wing. I do see some Bernie Bro movement, but is that the party or still the fringe of it? On the GOP side, Extremism seems to be mainstream. Proof in point, Paul Ryan who four years ago was considered ultra right is now considered a moderate or soft Republican.

I dunno, when I hear about how anti-abortion dems are making a comeback in some states and then read about how Dems have removed all non-hard-lefties from their ranks, one of the two situations rings hollow.

Also remember, the more moderate Northam just beat out Bernie's hand-picked Perillo in VA for Dem nom for  governor.  The Bernie wing has less pull than people think.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. Was Hillary an extremist? Is Schumur, Warren (okay probably), Kaine... I don't see extremism infecting the D party like it has the right wing. I do see some Bernie Bro movement, but is that the party or still the fringe of it? On the GOP side, Extremism seems to be mainstream. Proof in point, Paul Ryan who four years ago was considered ultra right is now considered a moderate or soft Republican.

Or John Boehner, who a decade ago was a solid conservative, who is now out of government and considered a lefty sympathizer by many Rs.

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

Interesting to see the Moderates have survived better in the Republican party than the Democratic party.

Lol no. Moderates in the Republican Party got primaried to death starting in 09. There's almost no such thing as a moderate republican anymore. They've all either been removed from office, left the party, or moved further right to adapt to the extremism of their electorate. 

How many Dem congressmen have been primary challenged by someone further left of them? Defeated? Guessing it's a very small number. 

19 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Lol no. Moderates in the Republican Party got primaried to death starting in 09. There's almost no such thing as a moderate republican anymore. They've all either been removed from office, left the party, or moved further right to adapt to the extremism of their electorate. 

How many Dem congressmen have been primary challenged by someone further left of them? Defeated? Guessing it's a very small number. 

Long term trend analysis using DW-nominate shows pretty clearly that the Republicans have been moving far right with no similar trend moving left for Dems:

Dems replaced their center-right wing with a center-left wing and are primarily full of center-left politicians. 

The Republicans essentially replaced their center right people with far right nut jobs.

The GOP has done a good job of running campaigns against the likes of Nancy Pelosi........from the south. Seriously, you watch GOP congressional district campaign ads from nowhere near CA and you will still hear "Nancy Pelosi and her SF progressive policies" mentioned at least 10 times during the :30 commercial. 

We always hear from the GOP how the Democrats use "identity politics" but IMO the GOP has been successful in playing the ultimate identity politics card, which was making the term "liberal" (and I suppose now "progressive" too) a bad thing to be labeled, despite the fact on that when you go down the line issue by issue most people fall in the center or just to the left of center, which by today's standard makes them a commie/pinko/liberal/etc/etc/etc......

Hell, part of Trump's appeal to the folks who didn't know any better was his economic populism campaign which had a lot of elements of Bernie Sanders in it. All the talk about the system being rigged, Americans being ripped off and how it isn't fair etc etc etc.......

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The GOP has done a good job of running campaigns against the likes of Nancy Pelosi........from the south. Seriously, you watch GOP congressional district campaign ads from nowhere near CA and you will still hear "Nancy Pelosi and her SF progressive policies" mentioned at least 10 times during the :30 commercial. 

It works. As much as the Dems are loyal to her and Schumer. It's a fixable weakness if they sucked it up and admitted it to themselves. 

Even if they keep the same leadership around. They need different voices pushing their message. It's the Cheney/Aisles playbook. Find somebody else to push your message who can connect with the audience. Run things from behind the scenes. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Obviously you didn't even read the article that I was commenting on. I was surprised by their data that showed more Republican moderates in the House than Democratic moderates.

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Obviously you didn't even read the article that I was commenting on. I was surprised by their data that showed more Republican moderates in the House than Democratic moderates.

"Their data" being the American Conservative Union.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

This is what I was talking about a few days ago with Political Spectrum vs. Overton Window, and it's a decent visualization.

The spectrum is the spectrum.  It extends likely from somewhere around -1.5 to +1.5.

Meanwhile the Overton Window extends from probably around the 85th percentile on either side.

So in the 60's the window probably went from around -.6 to +.4.

Today it's probably around -.6 to the left, but the right has slid to around +1.0 or maybe even +1.05 or +1.1.

So if a person has incorrectly conflated the Political Spectrum and the Overton Window, it makes sense that they'd think Dems were fringe.  The mid-point of the window, not controlling for population, is probably around +.2, while the 15th to 85th percentile for Dems is probably around -.1 to -.6.

Meanwhile the 15th to 85th percentile of the GOP is around +.4 to +1.05.  Thus the starts of the core of the GOP only sit around .2 away from the center of the Overton Window, while the closest core Dems sit about .3 away.

But of course, if we look just at the Political Spectrum as a whole, we see the situation much more clearly, and realize that if we extended the Overton Window as far to the left as it now extends to the right, the entire Dem Party would be downright moderate.

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2017 at 10:57 AM, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It works. As much as the Dems are loyal to her and Schumer. It's a fixable weakness if they sucked it up and admitted it to themselves. 

Even if they keep the same leadership around. They need different voices pushing their message. It's the Cheney/Aisles playbook. Find somebody else to push your message who can connect with the audience. Run things from behind the scenes. 

Just now, zoony said:

Dems have completely lost the working class of this country.  Instead of addressing it, threyve just convinced themselves that they were all racists anyway

except the minority ones, which are the salt of the earth.....unless they don't vote Democrat :),in which case they are ignorant bigots.

So I guess this is the best thread to ask about this here......

I have been at least somewhat expecting that Biden would throw his hat in for 2020.  And he seems to be cruising the TV networks a lot more recently.  I wouldn't be totally against it.  He seems like a guy willing to meet in the middle which I really respect.  And he has the "great guy to have a beer with" vibe which is always great.  Obviously this means he is going to start drawing more scrutiny from the Far Right.  Which brings me to my question.

I've been seeing a good bit of videos going around Facebook, from admittedly far right friends, showing ole Joe in some ........questionable interactions with females of various ages.  Now their source makes them questionable automatically but they are still videos and don't appear doctored.  Has anyone else seen this?  Know anything more about it why we shouldn't give it credibility?  I'm totally for giving the dude benefit of the doubt.  But at the same time, I ask myself if it were a Republican Senator, would he get the same benefit.  I gotta say if it were the latter, I would have a major issue with it.  

Anyone else seen this that cares to weigh in? 

On 11/12/2017 at 4:40 PM, zoony said:

Dems have completely lost the working class of this country.  Instead of addressing it, threyve just convinced themselves that they were all racists anyway

"Working class" like these lazy asses?

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-awaiting-trumps-coal-comeback-miners-reject-retraining-2017-11

Pennsylvania coal miners are so convinced Trump will bring coal back that they're refusing training in other industries

WAYNESBURG, Pennsylvania — When Mike Sylvester entered a career training center earlier this year in southwestern Pennsylvania, he found more than 100 federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

He settled instead on something familiar: a coal-mining course.

"I think there is a coal comeback," the 33-year-old son of a miner said.

Despite broad consensus about coal's bleak future, a multiyear effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.

Trump has promised to revive coal by rolling back environmental regulations, and he has moved to repeal Obama-era curbs on carbon emissions from power plants.

"I have a lot of faith in President Trump," Sylvester said.

But hundreds of coal-fired plants have closed in recent years, and cheap natural gas continues to erode domestic demand. The Appalachian region has lost about 33,500 mining jobs since 2011, according to the Appalachian Regional Commission.

Though there have been small gains in coal output and hiring this year, driven by foreign demand, production levels remain near lows hit in 1978.

**** 'em 

Archived