Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What film drew out the biggest emotional response from you?

nonniey

Just now, Dan T. said:

This thread reminds me of the "Affair to Remember vs. Dirty Dozen" scene from Sleepless in Seattle"

I shouldn't talk, though. I'm a softie.  Hell, I get verklempt at TV ads.  Like that Subaru one:

Haven't narrowed it down on a movie yet but

Speaking of commercials

Have to admit, this one got me:

Edit: Just watched the first few minutes of " UP ". Now I'm sort of interested in seeing the rest sometime.

Recently..

the last 15 minutes of La La Land are tragically beautiful and heartbreakingly bittersweet. Its something to behold. Cry every time. 

Moonlight...cry during the second act. What a wonderful story and it crushes me every time. 

Inception - The end when Leo holds the projection of his wife who is dying and she reminds him that when he proposed he told her they would grow old together. He sadly corrects her that they already did grow old together and it shows the scenes from earlier of the two trapped in limbo but really as an old couple, holding hands, laying on the train tracks together as they had spent their entire lives together at that point. Then he lets her go. Just amazing

Also, not on the level of the others but I remember being in the theater for the Thursday night premiere of the Dark Knight, this was before they always had Thursday releases so the early screening was at midnight. Only the diehards showed up for these. At the end of the movie when Gordon finishes his narration "he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight" and the screen faded to black and "The Dark Knight" pops up in white as the batman theme kicks in...i just remember feeling pure euphoria as literally everyone in the theater rose to their feet in thunderous applause. I've never seen anything like it. It gives me chills thinking about it.

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Also, not on the level of the others but I remember being in the theater for the Thursday night premiere of the Dark Knight, this was before they always had Thursday releases so the early screening was at midnight. Only the diehards showed up for these. At the end of the movie when Gordon finishes his narration "he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight" and the screen faded to black and "The Dark Knight" pops up in white as the batman theme kicks in...i just remember feeling pure euphoria as literally everyone in the theater rose to their feet in thunderous applause. I've never seen anything like it. It gives me chills thinking about it.

Preach, brother.  I had the exact same experience leaving the theater after Dark Knight as well.

It's the reason we go to the movies.  The magic.  

12 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Bridge to Terabithia.  (I never saw it coming.  Cried like a baby.)

I was sure that was supposed to be a child's movie.  Was unprepared for what would transpire.  Then again, I thought Pan's Labyrinth was also gonna be a fairytale perhaps of the family variety.  Certainly got that one wrong.

Now Changeling was a movie that drew my anger levels up to surprisingly high levels.  I was seething with rage at the people in that movie and needed something to vent it out on.

11 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

What's with the beginning of UP?  I wanted to take my grandkids when it first came out, but now I'm glad they didn't see a "grandma breakdown".  I guess I'll have to see it after all.

Oh wow, have you not seen it?  Pixar doing what Pixar does best.

20 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Fry's Dog

Understand that I say this with the utmost respect: **** you for that image.

I have cried more at Futurama than I have at any movie.

"Jurassic Bark" is, of course, the ultimate example.

The end of "Game of Tones" caught me so off guard. I just wasn't ready for that ****.

And as an older brother, "Luck of the Fryrish" hits me the hardest. I still cry when that one ends every time I see it.

51 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Understand that I say this with the utmost respect: **** you for that image.

I have cried more at Futurama than I have at any movie.

"Jurassic Bark" is, of course, the ultimate example.

The end of "Game of Tones" caught me so off guard. I just wasn't ready for that ****.

And as an older brother, "Luck of the Fryrish" hits me the hardest. I still cry when that one ends every time I see it.

I got shaky and goosebumped just posting it.

P58i8Nkh.jpg

Honestly, titanic after the iceberg collision.

It instantly takes me back to 1912 and I can't help but put myself into those peoples shoes. I know a lot of people get upset about the love story, but Cameron did a heck of a job with the tragic portion of the story.

Titanic was already taken, so Hotel Rwanda. Left me feeling ugly for several days. Up until that poiint, as a kid I wasn't all that knowledgeable about all the horrors going on in South Africa

BlackHawk Down came out around the same time. Horrible stuff. Blew my mind

I get weepy a lot during movies, I really get into the story and totally buy in, so emotional responses are common.  The last I got teary in was (honestly) Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

Probably the most emotional I've ever gotten in the movies is the end of Furious 7.  I knew what was coming, but it still hit hard.

On May 23, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Bang said:

Brian's Song. 

I still can't make it through the end.

When i saw it the first time as a kid, it ****ed me up for a whole day,, crocodile tears.

~Bang

Pretty much nailed my response Bang.

One that hit me a couple years ago was Unbroken....at the end of the showing, the full theater was silent, you could hear a pin drop.  After about 5-10 seconds the audience began uplauding.  Evidently it hit others like it did me.

i have never seen Up, guess that will go on my must see list based on responses to this thread.

Funny thing is as I reread this thread and I think about emotional impact, I come to realize the TV show This Is Us is every bit as emotional as most of these movies made me feel.  I know this isn't a thread for TV shows, but This Is Us somehow still rates in my mind.

Up, T2, Finding Neverland

I think I've told this story before... After surgery (I think I was maybe 28-29 at the time) I was on pain meds and I'm over at my parents' house watching Die Hard, and I'm balling my eyes out at the end when the dad from Family Matters shoots Karl. My mom's like, "Why are you crying?" and I'm all, "I DON'T KNOW!!"

Anyway it ends and then I hear, "Next on HBO.... Field of Dreams" and I said, "That's it, I'm out of here."

Outside of sad ending dramas, the action movie that moved me most was The Last of the Mohicans.   The final scene tugs on the heartstrings pretty good.  You go through a whole range of emotions.  And during the entire scene, one of the most iconic and emotional soundtracks ever is blaring in the background.   Hard brass chords, heavy strings, and battle drums.  War music.  I've seen the final scene of LotM probably 100 times (literally), and I still get goosebumps and occasionally tear up.  They just don't make movies like this anymore.  

If I had a nickel for every time I stood in the mirror, trying to impersonate Magua in this gif.  I had a hammer in one hand, steak knife, blade down, in the other.  Even though he ends up catching that work, the way Magua sways back and forth as he draws his knife with that "I will eat the hearts of your children" look on his face is so badass!!!.  

1*YGuRAb32LeMq2TwmJ1hQDQ.gif 

LotM is one of my favorite movies chew.  Agree 100% about the score, it's top five All Time Scores for me.  The frickin Gael man.  It speaks to the medieval Scot in me and makes me want to join an infantry charge or something.

And then the way Duncan redeems himself.  "My compliments sir, take her and get out!"  And how La Longue Carabine gives him a mercy death.  Goosebumps.

Then again when Uncas dies and Alice jumps off after him rather than suffer under Magwa's knife.  And then Chingachgook goes on a mother****ing rampage.  Goosebumps again.

Then the last scene where it really sets in for you that Chingachgook mourns not just the death of his son, but for his doomed nation... damn.

Incredible movie.

Another old one that really disturbed me as a kid: The Dark Crystal. That movie is ****ed up. I really want re-watch it today and see if it's as ****ed up as I remember. Netflix is also bringing a new TV series from that as well.

Archived