Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What film drew out the biggest emotional response from you?

nonniey

14 hours ago, China said:

If you're crying about the dog in Futurama and Marley and Me, don't watch Hachi.

The end of Mr. Roberts.

OMG, when I visited Japan I actually stayed next to the train station from the true story that Hachi is based on.  There's a giant statue of him outside which is a well-known landmark in the area. I watched the movie on a plane knowing exactly what was going to happen and it still blew me away.

Another one I didn't expect- Inside Out; especially because it's a kids movie that my niece made me watch.

1 hour ago, balki1867 said:

Another one I didn't expect- Inside Out; especially because it's a kids movie that my niece made me watch.

Dude, come on. Had you seen NO Pixar movies before this one? The people at Pixar seem to take some sort of sick joy in making children's movies that reduce adults to tears.

1 minute ago, GhostofSparta said:

Dude, come on. Had you seen NO Pixar movies before this one? The people at Pixar seem to take some sort of sick joy in making children's movies that reduce adults to tears.

I seriously must've missed the boat on Pixar movies. I had no idea what I was getting into. I actually sat there wondering why they'd force a child to watch something like that. Especially the one scene that was insanely depressing.

Just now, balki1867 said:

I seriously must've missed the boat on Pixar movies. I had no idea what I was getting into. I actually sat there wondering why they'd force a child to watch something like that. Especially the one scene that was insanely depressing.

It's insane. The first 10 minutes from "UP" has been referenced repeatedly, and for good reason. It's probably the pinnacle of "Pixar movies that make me cry like a ****." AND IT'S THE FIRST 10 MINUTES OF THE MOVIE!

Outside of the Cars franchise (and even then, there are probably people that are affected by scenes in those movie), there are easily 2-3 moments in any Pixar movie that can hit people emotionally. If you have no free time you can go to TV Tropes and look up "Tearjerker" for any Pixar movie and just be shocked at the kinds of adult moments/fears that they can tap into in Pixar movies.

The end of Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks dies and Ryan is at his grave "Tell me I'm a good man".

Also, the Passion of the Christ, when Jesus is being scourged. I wept.

And yes, the end of Last of the Mohicans... I think its my favorite movie of all time.

Music is what really does it for me during a dramatic scene that gets the eyes leaking.  Stupid youtube took it down, but one of the most powerful scenes I've seen in a long time was in Lady In The Water.  Giamatti has a short monologue, apologizing to his dead wife and children for not being there for them, while James Newton Howard's "The Healing" is playing in the background.  That **** makes me snotty-nose cry every time.  Giamatti is one of the best character actors of this generation, along with DD-L and PS-H, rip.  

Also, there's a scene in This is England where a young boy is being brainwashed by an English Skinhead (Stephen Graham), and this "beautifully sad" music (Fuori Dal Mondo by Ludovico Einaudi) plays as we watch a young innocent boy learn to hate.  Instantly dusty in the room.

Clint Mansell's The Fountain soundtrack is amazing, the whole damn thing.  

And then there's the The Tree of Life, one of the most misunderstood films of the 20th century.  With original tracks by Alexandre Desplat and John Tavener, The Tree of Life is basically a two hour music video about the beauty of life and love.  Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain are just there to sprinkle in monologues.  The powerful music in this film, along with Malick capturing the innocence of children and simplicity of nature, made me cry several times when I first saw it.

Just now, youngchew said:

And then there's the The Tree of Life, one of the most misunderstood films of the 20th century.  With original tracks by Alexandre Desplat and John Tavener, The Tree of Life is basically a two hour music video about the beauty of life and love.  Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain are just there to sprinkle in monologues.  The powerful music in this film, along with Malick capturing the innocence of children and simplicity of nature, made me cry several times when I first saw it.

That was an interesting movie. I didn't really know what to think of it after watching it, but yeah, the cinematography is fantastic. The minimal dialogue didn't bother me at all.

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

^^^You make sure they never forget, the night they played the Titans!

On a side note, It is crazy being reminded of how goofy Ryan Gosling used to be and then see what he has become now. 

The defensive coordinator's daughter is Hayden Panetierre too. Crazy seeing her as a little kid.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:49 PM, nonniey said:

Since we're doing films this week my question is which film succeeded in eliciting an emotional response from you (due to the story told - ie anger because the movies sucked doesn't count).

For me it is a tie between Schindler's List ( Tear Jerker every-time I see the colorized toddler) and Paths of Glory (anger at the dishonorable conduct of the senior officers).

Forrest Gump.

forrest-gump-1434384048.gif

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Another old one that really disturbed me as a kid: The Dark Crystal. That movie is ****ed up. I really want re-watch it today and see if it's as ****ed up as I remember. Netflix is also bringing a new TV series from that as well.

I thought about Dark Crystal as well.  I was quite young when I first saw it, and had the same sentiment.  I bought it for my niece as a Christmas gift years ago.  We watched it together, and it definitely didn't have the same effect as an adult...

9 hours ago, Ron78 said:

I thought about Dark Crystal as well.  I was quite young when I first saw it, and had the same sentiment.  I bought it for my niece as a Christmas gift years ago.  We watched it together, and it definitely didn't have the same effect as an adult...

Probably not, but that scene where they steal the essence from the podlings is still really dark, probably lessened because they're demented muppets, but still: https://youtu.be/8w7zFfMr_Dc

21 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My Life with Michael Keaton

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107630/

Came out when I was 15 or 16 and was tough for me to watch. 

I saw that with my hyper-emotional girlfriend of the time. For weeks afterwards she would suddenly start crying at random, and when I asked her what was wrong, she would say "My Life...that was so sad..."

Keaton's greatest performance (screw the horribly overrated Birdman).

Archived