Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY TIMES: Brawl breaks out at Turkish Embassy in DC

heyholetsgogrant

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Every one of those suited lunkheads who kicked persons lying on the ground should be arrested and charged with felony assault.

Theyve already gone back to Turkey

This is what Muslim Extremism looks like.  Incredibly brutal and violent

They were talking about this on "The World" on a local NPR station down here.

Didn't catch the man's name they were interviewing but he made it abundantly clear that not only was this abnormal but was a severe breach of protocol and decency from Erdogan and the people around him.

Despite my qualms with the last administration, it's funny to me how folks called Obama soft and weak when it came to the way he treated "problematic" foreign leaders who may or may not have had the U.S.'s best interest in mind (not to mention democracy or civil liberties which Erdogan doesn't seem too concerned with, either). Yet the State Department under the current administration could only muster this:

We are concerned by the violent incidents involving protestors and Turkish security personnel Tuesday evening. Violence is never an appropriate response to free speech, and we support the rights of people everywhere to free expression and peaceful protest.

We are communicating our concern to the Turkish government in the strongest possible terms.

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2017/05/270923.htm

Just now, Destino said:

When did the entire world decide that it was cool to clown the US whenever they wanted?  That's what this is IMO. 

Thats how I see it as well. Like kids throwing stuff and fighting in the classroom when the sub shows up. This is what we are now.

53 minutes ago, Destino said:

When did the entire world decide that it was cool to clown the US whenever they wanted?  That's what this is IMO. 

At the beginning of every school year, the kids would test us. They'd begin to see what they could get away with. As a special ed teacher you had to be at your coldest and strictest for the first month at least. Once they realized where you drew the lines and that they are real you could loosen up and be the cool teacher. The kids would then generally only walk up to the line.

Right now, countries are testing the "teacher" They want to see what they can get away with. You're seeing this with North Korea beating its chest and doing nuke tests, in the Middle East, and certainly with Russia. None of this is actually Trump's fault. How he and the State Department respond to it will have some impact. Of course, they can't go to off the rails in any case because there are lots of other "teachers" (countries) watching, but the US is not only the teacher, but it has been the principal for a bunch of years, and kids take special care not to upset them.

Analogy works pretty well, but not perfectly, I think.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

When we elected a carnival barker to be President.

This started before Trump, sadly, though he's clearly done everything he can to leave us looking like a circus.  The easiest example is the lunatic in the Philippines, but this latest situation with Erdogan is likely the most egregious act of disrespect we've seen to date.  

Just now, Larry said:

Diplomatic immunity in other countries. 

Beating the crap out of people shouldn't get a pass. I wonder how much this is abused by American representatives in other countries because what happen shouldn't every be permitted.  

I hate to say it but average Americans are unprepared for violence. Totally prepared to show up and complain and protest, but unable to protect themselves from thugs. This country has become too dependent on government to save them from bullies. 

If these out out of shape uncoordinated mid forties Turkish dudes in monkey suits ran up on some angry people where I live, they would have got ****ed up...

7 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I hate to say it but average Americans are unprepared for violence. Totally prepared to show up and complain and protest, but unable to protect themselves from thugs. This country has become too dependent on government to save them from bullies. 

If these out out of shape uncoordinated mid forties Turkish dudes in monkey suits ran up on some angry people where I live, they would have got ****ed up...

To be fair, it looks like a lot of the people who were getting beat up were women and older men, so what do you expect???

Also, I thought the police did a good job of reacting quickly, breaking up the brawl, and separating everyone.

9 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Also, I thought the police did a good job of reacting quickly, breaking up the brawl, and separating everyone.

That was my initial thought.  They did a pretty good job of separating the two groups. 

However, I think they failed in one regard.  They witnessed, up close, those suited thugs kicking people in the head who were lying on the ground.  To me, that's the point where they needed to step in and clamp some handcuffs on those goons.  Cuff them, get them face down on the ground, and take them to jail.  Oh, they have diplomatic immunity? Let the State Department sort it out.  IN the meantime, they can cool off in lockup.  **** those guys.

This is something that has been really bothering me. Back home, pro-Erdogan groups are lauding this as a display of his power and influence.

These are American's protesting on behalf of their people back home to enjoy the democratic freedoms that they are denied by Turkish nationalists. To see them get beat up by the goons of a tyrant in the "land of the free" is just sad.

Complete silence from our joke of a President even sadder. But this is a man who idolizes strongmen and actively encourages the beating of protestors himself. 

I am really at a loss for understanding what America even stands for at this point. We just had our fellow country men and women beat up by foreign goons for exercising the type of freedom that attracts so many to this country. And it's hardly created any unified national outrage. 

It just sort of happened, went viral, we got a few statements from some Senators, and poof, done. How pathetic.

15 hours ago, zoony said:

This is what Muslim Extremism looks like.  Incredibly brutal and violent

This is hardly symbolic of Muslim Extremism. This is the extremism practiced by brutal authoritarians all throughout the world. 

We've already seen the early stages of this kind of behavior being sanctioned by our own President. But I'm sure when "real Americans" are involved, the situation is different and pointing this out is why "libruls lose elections".

Archived