Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Two - 2nd/3rd Round - Discussion Thread

TSO

7 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I can only speak for myself. I disagree with the notion that having a talent evaluating background isn't super important. I think it is. It seemed like Bruce did as well when he hired Scot and gave him the position of GM which, by his own words, gave him "final say over personnel".

I agree and I'd add. Scott Campbell admitted that Scot's influence exists on their draft board.  And judging by Jessica McCloughan's tweets, Scot seems to be taking pride on the picks.  So yeah its tough for me to give that much of a pat on the back to Bruce for working off of Scot's lists.  Next draft would be a better gauge.  But hopefully next draft we have a real personnel guy in the house that replaces Scot.  

As for Scot not walking on water.  No GM does.  It's about trial and error and patience.  Some of the choices we will like about this draft -- will fail.  It's just how the process works.  As Bill Parcells liked to say if you are batting 500 or close to it as to personnel decisions, you are among the best in the business.  If you can get 2-3 starters out of a draft -- that's a good haul, etc.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

These guys would be on my 5th-7th round list :)

Not for Hodges in my view.  Not that I want a pure pass catching TE.  

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

So do we need Murphy, Smith, Kerrigan, AND Anderson at OLB?

Don't know much about anderson tbh but there is nothing wrong with having 4 guys there. Murphy is suspended for 4 games and smith hasn't come into his own. 

Kerrigan is really out only reliable guy there, the others can be improved. 

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I really don't want to see some half-ass QB pick in the 4th, even with the "ah we have an extra 4th and Cousins situation, etc" disclaimer. I just don't want to muddy the waters with Kirk at all--you refused to talk trade about him, you keep saying you'll commit--****ing do it. Use those mid rounders to keep building the team around him and sign him to big $$$ by July 15th. Be done with it. I don't want a mid-round QB pick and speculation about whether 1 year is long enough for him to get up to speed for 2018. Kaaya, Peterman, Dobbs, etc...they can all go **** themselves.

I have to crack up at this because I feel the same way even though it completely contradicts my philosophy/belief about:

1) Drafting QBs whenever you can in every draft so long as it's BPA and you don't have a franchise guy but, if you do; 

2) Drafting them in later rounds in every draft so long as it's BPA. Even spending a 3rd is fine if he's really that high on your board.

So, technically, since I believe Cousins is our franchise QB I should be in "2" mode and totally fine with it. But because this situation is so friggin annoying and unprecedented I'm totally nodding in agreement with you. I don't want this crap to even be DISCUSSED were we to draft a QB. :ols:  

Pick 4.7 wishlist  Hope one these options occurs with our first pick tomorrow:

#1 OG Dorian Johnson is the guy I want at 4.7 one of the highest rated prospects left .and is a position of need  (2d round grade)

#2 WR Dede Westbrook - Vertical threat  (2d Round Grade)

#3 Trade - get future picks in 2018

#4 NT Elijah Qualls  - he projects as a run stuffing Nose tackle (3d-4th round grade)

#5 WR Josh Reynolds Vertical threat (Tall too) (3d-4th round grade)

#6 WR Chad Hansen (Crowder type) (3d-4th rd grade)

#7 S Desmond King - (3d round grade)

#8 QB either Dobbs or Peterman - value pick  (3d round grade)

Other wishes

Trade 4.17 for Sheldon Richardson

Stay away from Brantley, just too stupid to have on this team, but definitely not in the 4th round

Draft RB Deangelo Henderson in the 5th or 6th 

I'd LOVE Perine.

23 minutes ago, Dukes and Skins said:

One name to watch late tomorrow? Grover Taylor NT 

I always make it a priority to draft dudes named after my favorite Seasame Street characters (Real talk, I love dudes with weird names in video games, too).  I couldn't find a Grover Taylor online, I saw a Grover Stewart from Southern.  Is that the dude?

Probably not a good idea to ignore offense the whole draft, but man did our defense just get a nice little boost. I'm on the fence about Anderson, a bit worried maybe he's already "maxed out", but he will most surely be a productive player and he goes at it. 

Fabian Moreau, we love seniors. Seriously, anyone who has a Junior mocked to the Redskins is most likely wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with Seniors, it's just become an obvious trend. Fabian seems like good value, at a position of "possible" need in the future depending on Breeland and Fuller. It never hurts to bring in competition and that's exactly what we just did. 

24 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Pick 4.7 wishlist  Hope one these options occurs with our first pick tomorrow:

#1 OG Dorian Johnson is the guy I want at 4.7 one of the highest rated prospects left .and is a position of need  (2d round grade)

#2 WR Dede Westbrook - Vertical threat  (2d Round Grade)

#3 Trade - get future picks in 2018

#4 NT Elijah Qualls  - he projects as a run stuffing Nose tackle (3d-4th round grade)

#5 WR Josh Reynolds Vertical threat (Tall too) (3d-4th round grade)

#6 WR Chad Hansen (Crowder type) (3d-4th rd grade)

#7 S Desmond King - (3d round grade)

#8 QB either Dobbs or Peterman - value pick  (3d round grade)

Other wishes

Trade 4.17 for Sheldon Richardson

Stay away from Brantley, just too stupid to have on this team, but definitely not in the 4th round

Draft RB Deangelo Henderson in the 5th or 6th 

I agree, Where I would be going too

12 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I always make it a priority to draft dudes named after my favorite Seasame Street characters (Real talk, I love dudes with weird names in video games, too).  I couldn't find a Grover Taylor online, I saw a Grover Stewart from Southern.  Is that the dude?

I think that is the dude. For Grover Taylor I just got a police lineup on my google search

Perine is so damn strong. An Earl Campbell type. (not saying he is Earl of course)

Some of the feats of strength this guy does on and off the field are unmatched by anyone at his position(fournette isn't as strong as this dude).

He could find his niche as a short yardage/goaline back, take the load off Kelly and between the two bruisers, really wear teams down in games (even with limited carries), and also lead block for other backs in jumbo formations etc.

Hes a violent runner and If we draft him I would love to follow up the pick with a strong run blocking interior lineman to take over lauvoa's spot.

Unfortunately I don't see him as a Jay Gruden fit, especially not an every down back for us. But I guess neither is Jones or Kelly for that matter. It would be nice to grab more of an all around back and be more deceptive with our play calling.

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Double dipping on 'Bama D's. 

Not a bad player. But not the LB I'd of taken. Not a three-down player. But there's your OLB edge. 

Wouldn't of passed on Cunningham but I'm not mad. Just  ...... hmmmmm. 

Hail. 

This to me mirrors the Murphy pick a few years ago by Allen, a really good college player, who doesn't possess the physicality to excel at the next level!!

Personally I don't like the pick, I just don't see how his game translates to the NFL, where he will see far more superior athletes...to small for the big guy's, and to slow for the smaller players!

I heard earlier tonight on the radio that the reason Cunningham was falling, was because he's a little off upstairs...

Don't we still have Preston Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, and Junior Galette? I'm not sure I follow the decision to draft 2 more pass rushers in the first 2 rounds of the draft? Granted Allen is versatile and is a consensus top talent value that you couldn't pass on, but I thought with the LB corp we needed Inside Linebackers?

I'm  a bit confused by the positions being chosen but non the less I'll take a wait and see approach and cheer for the them.

Well, that was a hell of a couple rounds. I'm higher on Anderson than some. I don't think he's a great pass rusher, but man, does he set an edge in run defense and makes a lot of tackles there. And he is just ****ing nasty. I don't think we have enough of that one defense right now. A tone setter. And he is all that. I don't know if we plan to move him inside or not, but if he stays outside I don't really care. He's nasty. He's physical. He's the kind of guy that takes your lunch money, He's an enforcer. And, he's not out of control or a dirty player. He just wants to beat you into oblivion. I really like the pick.

Jonathan Allen. I don't think anything more needs to be said about him. A top 4 guy going to as @17, in one of our biggest positions of need? Yeah, I love that, and I also love that he's a guy that can really get after the QB, and is also stout against the run. Between he and Anderson, we just go a lot harder to run against. And that is going to make everyone's job that much easier.

Fabian Moreau Is a big corner that can fly. I know that GHH is really high on him, so he much be through the moon right now. We've had some issues there, and if he comes back from his pec injury 100% (and he should, it's not one of the injuries that really effects speed) this could be another steal. He's still a little raw, but we look to have one of the better DB coaches in all the NFL. He could flourish and become another lockdown corner. He still needs some time making the conversion from RB, but physically he has all the tools you could ask for. And we have a great teacher for him.Bree better get his head in the game, he's going to be pushed bigtime by this kid.

So far, we've had 3 picks, and I think all 3 have been at worst, really solid. At best, we've hit the ball out of the park twice, and hit on a guy that is going to set the  tone for the entire defense and make it just freakin' nasty. No more 5 YPC on first down. No more getting pushed around in D. We're going to be hitting people in the mouth. Hard. and it's not going to be easy to throw against us either. Between FA and what we have done in the draft, this is a completely different defense. And with the improved coaching, I can see us going top 15. Maybe not top 10, but I think we're going to be much better, and more physical. teams are not going to like playing us.

Now, all that being said, we still need a NT. I expect we take on in round 4, the vast majority of them are still left and we need one. Then, who knows. but so far, I'm really happy with how the draft has gone so far. I don't think we reached for anyone, and we got a couple guys much later than they should have gone. I'm shocked, in a good way.

It's been great to watch the draft, but I'm still cant get up and down that well, so I basically only get a chance to post when I'm done watching for the night. It has been fun going through this thread and reading the comments though.

17 minutes ago, JoeKnowsBest said:

Don't we still have Preston Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, and Junior Galette? I'm not sure I follow the decision to draft 2 more pass rushers in the first 2 rounds of the draft? Granted Allen is versatile and is a consensus top talent value that you couldn't pass on, but I thought with the LB corp we needed Inside Linebackers?

I'm  a bit confused by the positions being chosen but non the less I'll take a wait and see approach and cheer for the them.

Allen is growing on me, we needed a disruptive force inside, I believe we got it with him, love the Moreau pick, but I am having a hard time with the Anderson pick? I don't see his game translating to the NFL...hopefully I am wrong!

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, that was a hell of a couple rounds. I'm higher on Richardson than some. I don't think he's a great pass rusher, but man, does he set an edge in run defense and makes a lot of tackles there. And he is just ****ing nasty. I don't think we have enough of that one defense right now. A tone setter. And he is all that. I don't know if we plan to move him inside or not, but if he stays outside I don't really care. He's nasty. He's physical. He's the kind of guy that takes your lunch money, He's an enforcer. And, he's not out of control or a dirty player. He just wants to beat you into oblivion. I really like the pick.

Jonathan Allen. I don't think anything more needs to be said about him. A top 4 guy going to as @17, in one of our biggest positions of need? Yeah, I love that, and I also love that he's a guy that can really get after the QB, and is also stout against the run. Between he and Richardson, we just go a lot harder to run against. And that is going to make everyone's job that much easier.

Fabian Moreau Is a big corner that can fly. I know that GHH is really high on him, so he much be through the moon right now. We've had some issues there, and if he comes back from his pec injury 100% (and he should, it's not one of the injuries that really effects speed) this could be another steal. He's still a little raw, but we look to have one of the better DB coaches in all the NFL. He could flourish and become another lockdown corner. He still needs some time making the conversion from RB, but physically he has all the tools you could ask for. And we have a great teacher for him.Bree better get his head in the game, he's going to be pushed bigtime by this kid.

So far, we've had 3 picks, and I think all 3 have been at worst, really solid. At best, we've hit the ball out of the park twice, and hit on a guy that is going to set the  tone for the entire defense and make it just freakin' nasty. No more 5 YPC on first down. No more getting pushed around in D. We're going to be hitting people in the mouth. Hard. and it's not going to be easy to throw against us either. Between FA and what we have done in the draft, this is a completely different defense. And with the improved coaching, I can see us going top 15. Maybe not top 10, but I think we're going to be much better, and more physical. teams are not going to like playing us.

Now, all that being said, we still need a NT. I expect we take on in round 4, the vast majority of them are still left and we need one. Then, who knows. but so far, I'm really happy with how the draft has gone so far. I don't think we reached for anyone, and we got a couple guys much later than they should have gone. I'm shocked, in a good way.

It's been great to watch the draft, but I'm still cant get up and down that well, so I basically only get a chance to post when I'm done watching for the night. It has been fun going through this thread and reading the comments though.

You hit on a good observation Morneblade; when I was watching his highlights, my thought was; Anderson just may be a real thumper if moved inside, he may have been a specific scheme fit pick for an ILB in a 3-4, who can be moved around, and set an edge when needed.

Archived