Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Two - 2nd/3rd Round - Discussion Thread

TSO

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing one of these two picks in the 4th will be a running back.

Maybe RB and Guard in the 4th? That would make some sense. And there is talent available at both positions. Especially guard.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Mad this. 

Went into the draft expecting a ****-show nonplussed about the 'Skins 

Two days later I'm on cloud 9 and can't wait for today to start! 

Funny old game football. 

Hail. 

We have really solidified the depth on the defensive side of the ball. And they used my draft strategy to do it. They hit all 3 levels of the defense with their first 3 picks. I am not really high on the Anderson pick. But thats fine. They liked him and pulled the trigger. I feel good about the draft so far.

Everyone who has seen me post the past few months knows I'm obviously jacked up about us getting Anderson. And Fabian was another steal regardless of when he will be ready to play. I think we will be able to look back and point to this draft as the turning point of when our defense finally found an identity.

My 4th round wish list for today is Perine or Jay's favorite runningback and to get Tomsula his Nose Tackle. Qualls and a few others are still out there.

Dorian Johnson, Asiata, Josh Reynolds, Jaleel are all intriguing too

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

Anybody feel Brantley is NT, 0-1 tech guy??

Nah. Disruptive inside three-tech. I know he played quite a bit of 1-tech in Gainsville but he's got everything to shoot the gaps with his quickness and hand movement. 

The only thing is his effort. If there was a big ? against McDowell, there is an equal one on Brantley the amount of plays he disappears from. But when he's firing .....

Hail. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Redskins one of those teams that checked extra into the Caleb Brantley incident.   If it checks out, I gather he'd be top of their board.

Thoughts on if we draft QB Nate Peterman with our 1st 4th rounder (insurance in case KC leaves in 2018) and his Pitt OG Dorian Johnson with the other 4th rounder?

6 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Anybody feel Brantley is NT, 0-1 tech guy??

I think he could bulk up a little bit and play nose. He has the frame for it. But right now I think he's a one gap guy. Like @Skinsinparadise said. They have done their research on his situation. If he doesnt go in this round then most likely the legal stuff is legit and he isnt getting drafted.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Thoughts on if we draft QB Nate Peterman with our 1st 4th rounder (insurance in case KC leaves in 2018) and his Pitt OG Dorian Johnson with the other 4th rounder?

This would be dream scenario. We'll probably be lucky to get one of them though. I'd like to see us trade up to get Peterman. 

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I want no part of drafting a QB.  But agree he'd be a good value.

If we are talking offense, I just noticed Chad Hansen is still out there.  Good WR, a guy I highlighted on the draft thread months back.  

Lot of guys I like that make sense in the 4th ... but one interesting pick if he's there is Jake Butt. 1st/2nd round talent but torn acl ... redshirt him this year, slide him into TE2 in 2018 to replace Paul/Vernon. 

Dorian Johnson at OG could be a day 1 starter but still think team is cool rolling dice with Arie but depth couldn't hurt. 

Others have mentioned that Center Toth as a potential Long replacement. Or Fuller. 

DeDe Westbrook or Chad Hansen could be deep threats to replace DJax. 

Perine, Mack could be strong candidates to start at RB. 

Then theres DL. Jaleel Johnson ans Caleb Brantley. High on Johnson as a 4th and obviously Brantley would be extremely valuable if he checks out. 

Qualls at NT and Charles Walker also intrigues me in the 5/6 round. 

Then theres Blair Brown at ILB although sounds like Anderson could be versatile at both EDGE and ILB so might not be pressing need. 

And thwn theres QB ... Kaaya, Dobbs or Peterman in the 4th or Kelly/Evans in the 6th. 

HTTR!

Just now, The Sisko said:

Ideally we wouldn't be in the business of drafting a QB right now if someone had listened to Scot and locked Capt. Kirk up when we should have. 

Eh. The Packers mentality that always worked was always draft a mid round QB to groom. Wouldn't be crazy to draft a guy in the 4/5 to be depth and trade bait in a couple years IF we had Cousins locked up

30 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Everyone who has seen me post the past few months knows I'm obviously jacked up about us getting Anderson. And Fabian was another steal regardless of when he will be ready to play. I think we will be able to look back and point to this draft as the turning point of when our defense finally found an identity.

My 4th round wish list for today is Perine or Jay's favorite runningback and to get Tomsula his Nose Tackle. Qualls and a few others are still out there.

Dorian Johnson, Asiata, Josh Reynolds, Jaleel are all intriguing too

Perine would be a steal at this point. If we can get him and a NT in the 4th, it might be more effective than the morphine I was on in the hospital. I cannot remember the last time I was so happy about how our draft has good this far into it. Yeah, we missed (and I mean barely missed) on a couple guys I would have loved to have had. But I have not once been like :wtf: with any of our picks yet. In fact, I've been like, "yeah that's they guy we need there."

Which, of course mean we've had the worst draft ever. But I'd prefer to think otherwise at this point. I will say one thing. I don't think anyone in our division is at all very "happy" with our picks so far. I think the thought process is more like "damn, they are getting that defense fixed, and it's going to nasty".

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Like yesterday. My top ten left in order:

Caleb Brantley

Dorian Johnson

Taywan Taylor 

DeDe Westbrook

Jake Butt 

Carl Lawson

Jourdan Lewis

Montravious Adams

Bucky Hodges

Damontae Kazee

If Brantley is there with our second 4th rounder I think we should take the risk on him. The guy is a one gap destroyer and would be a nasty rotational guy on passing downs. But what do I know.

Adams was already drafted (Packers pick 93)

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Perine would be a steal at this point. If we can get him and a NT in the 4th, it might be more effective than the morphine I was on in the hospital. I cannot remember the last time I was so happy about how our draft has good this far into it. Yeah, we missed (and I mean barely missed) on a couple guys I would have loved to have had. But I have not once been like :wtf: with any of our picks yet. In fact, I've been like, "yeah that's they guy we need there."

Which, of course mean we've had the worst draft ever. But I'd prefer to think otherwise at this point. I will say one thing. I don't think anyone in our division is at all very "happy" with our picks so far. I think the thought process is more like "damn, they are getting that defense fixed, and it's going to nasty".

Qualls and Perine. Whew doggy!

6 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

Are the RB's left in the draft any different than Matt Jones and Mack Brown because it doesn't seem like it? Secretly, I want the team to check out Jamaal Charles knees and go with another WR or TE in these late rounds when picking offense.

That is a good point could maybe take Henderson on a late flyer - small school production

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Maybe RB and Guard in the 4th? That would make some sense. And there is talent available at both positions. Especially guard.

We have really solidified the depth on the defensive side of the ball. And they used my draft strategy to do it. They hit all 3 levels of the defense with their first 3 picks. I am not really high on the Anderson pick. But thats fine. They liked him and pulled the trigger. I feel good about the draft so far.

That's where I'm at as well.  Jake Butt would make some sense (as well as some defensive guys) but I'm thinking they look to fortify the oline and add a more versatile running back.  

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Others have mentioned that Center Toth as a potential Long replacement. Or Fuller. 

HTTR!

Huh when it comes to center  we're not looking to replace Long just get a good back-up (unless the idea is to start long at Guard).

3 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Perine.. I love the the but have concerns about his speed at the next level. He's an absolute monster though. Wouldn't be upset with the pick at all.

I know he put some weight on to play FB with Mixon. I wonder what his speed would be like if he got down to his freshman/soph weight. He's never going to be a burner, but it might give him just enough to be a little more dangerous. Just a thought.

I've got 85 players left on my list....very exciting.

I'm kind of hoping that Petermann and Dobbs get picked early so we don't have to seriously consider them.

I think we should take advantage of the deep RB class andwait till the 5th round.

We have a chance to get two really good players on defense with our 4th rd picks....although I would strongly consider Jake Butt.

Archived