Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Two - 2nd/3rd Round - Discussion Thread

TSO

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

C'mon guys seize the day, embrace this draft, this is Scot's swan song ! :)

So true - I really wish nothing but the best for Scot McCloughan.  He seems like a great guy that has a nasty vice to overcome.  Sober or not, the dude is one hell of a talent evaluator. 

17 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Disappointed thus far with the draft.  I know the Skins need to improve their edge rush and they have select a couple of linebackers to help but I think the Skins have a bigger problem that always seems like an afterthought, the Redskins aren't as big and tough as the need to be on either line.  The OL can't open up holes and support a power running game and the DL can't stop a strong running attack.  I don't expect these linebackers to improve the rush defense.

This OL class mostly sucks and we just drafted a dominant DL guy in the 1st who can stop the run and rush the passer. Not sure what you're down about.

6 hours ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

This to me mirrors the Murphy pick a few years ago by Allen, a really good college player, who doesn't possess the physicality to excel at the next level!!

Personally I don't like the pick, I just don't see how his game translates to the NFL, where he will see far more superior athletes...to small for the big guy's, and to slow for the smaller players!

I heard earlier tonight on the radio that the reason Cunningham was falling, was because he's a little off upstairs...

Interesting on Cunningham.

That's my only 'hmmm' on Anderson.  He gets by more on ridiculous effort and power than outright athletic traits. But then that's his strength. Non-stop, bad ass physical hustle (Not a bad thing at all in a LB) who's obviously got a real feel for the ball and good football smarts as he's always around it. Top 10 in tackles in Tide history and he only started 1 season. 

Lot to like as 34 OLB edge. (He won't get moved inside all things being equal unless his technique and size go up.).

The 'hmmm' isn't a bad 'hmmm' by any means. Just adds to a top drawer draft to this point. 

Hail. 

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This OL class mostly sucks and we just drafted a dominant DL guy in the 1st who can stop the run and rush the passer. Not sure what you're down about.

His comment seemed like something prerecorded, from someone who didn't watch the draft.

10 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Interesting on Cunningham.

That's my only 'hmmm' on Anderson.  He gets by more on ridiculous effort and power than outright athletic traits. But then that's his strength. Non-stop, bad ass physical hustle (Not a bad thing at all in a LB) who's obviously got a real feel for the ball and good football smarts as he's always around it. Top 10 in tackles in Tide history and he only started 1 season. 

Lot to like as 34 OLB edge. (He won't get moved inside all things being equal unless his technique and size go up.).

The 'hmmm' isn't a bad 'hmmm' by any means. Just adds to a top drawer draft to this point. 

Hail. 

I kind of like the idea of power and discipline in the front 7. It wasn't just that we had bad linebacker play, but that our linebackers couldn't tackle. How many extra yards were gained because the first hit didn't take anyone down?

If Anderson knows how to hit, plays with discipline, and is the toughest guy near him I think he can do well. We've seen a ton of NFL greats who were not the fastest. Heck, Jerry Rice was a "slow" wide receiver.  I also question football fast vs. track and field fast. That said, I do like the fact that while our front 7 seem to be about toughness... our dbs seem to be about speed.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I kind of like the idea of power and discipline in the front 7. It wasn't just that we had bad linebacker play, but that our linebackers couldn't tackle. How many extra yards were gained because the first hit didn't take anyone down?

If Anderson knows how to hit, plays with discipline, and is the toughest guy near him I think he can do well. We've seen a ton of NFL greats who were not the fastest. Heck, Jerry Rice was a "slow" wide receiver.  I also question football fast vs. track and field fast. That said, I do like the fact that while our front 7 seem to be about toughness... our dbs seem to be about speed.

Absolutely. Lot to like with the selection. Non-stop power and aggression in a LB? Yes please. 

Anyone down with any part our draft to this point t is someone who's either pissed his favourite guys aren't here or someone with a serious agenda. 

Hail. 

Im ecstatic at the talent available in the 4th round. 

We should be able to get one or more of the following defenders: Brantley, watkins, walker jr, Qualls, Jackson

and one or more of the following offense players:

asiata, Siracusa, Hodges, ford, Hansen

Just now, Butters20 said:

Im ecstatic at the talent available in the 4th round. 

We should be able to get one or more of the following defenders: Brantley, watkins, walker jr, Qualls, Jackson

and one or more of the following offense players:

asiata, Siracusa, Hodges, ford, Hansen

I'd still love to add Blair Brown to the LB mix and I'd be doing my best Carl Lewis impression if Xavier Woods is still there today when our first pick today is up. But yeah, I'm salivating as to what further damage we can do. 

Hail. 

My Hopes

4th - Jaleel Johnson, Carlos Watkins, or Caleb Brantley (Brantley is top choice if research supports his story about bar fight)

4th - Dorian Johnson

5th - Anthony Walker (least convinced about this pick)

6th - Rayshown Jenkins

6th - Malachai Dupre

7th - John Toth or Kyle Fuller

7th - Eddie Jackson

I'm not sold on any of the remaining running backs, and I think we can pick up one as a UDFA.  Same goes with QB.

I was not big on Cook in the 1st round, but essentially Minny got him for a fourth. We could have easily beat that offer. 

Love our draft so far, but the prospect of Cook for our extra 4th (even the higher one) is tough to overlook.

I think Desmond King should be big #1 on our board. Nathan Peterman very interesting pick as well. 

Like yesterday. My top ten left in order:

Caleb Brantley

Dorian Johnson

Taywan Taylor 

DeDe Westbrook

Jake Butt 

Carl Lawson

Jourdan Lewis

Montravious Adams

Bucky Hodges

Damontae Kazee

If Brantley is there with our second 4th rounder I think we should take the risk on him. The guy is a one gap destroyer and would be a nasty rotational guy on passing downs. But what do I know.

I was checking out Marlon Mack since the team supposedly likes him, explosive, he seems though a bit lanky-long strider

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I absolutely think its a need. Our offense is very TE centric and we've got an injury risk, an antique and a nobody. 

Probably the best TE class ever. Id hate to not grab one to develop,  that can block, but is a receiver. 

I love Leggett and Butt.  Hodges is intriguing too but brings nothing as a blocker

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Caleb Brantley

Dorian Johnson

Taywan Taylor 

DeDe Westbrook

Jake Butt 

Carl Lawson

Jourdan Lewis

Montravious Adams

Bucky Hodges

Damontae Kazee

If Brantley is there with our second 4th rounder I think we should take the risk on him. The guy is a one gap destroyer and would be a nasty rotational guy on passing downs. But what do I know.

Adams Lewis and Taylor are gone 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Caleb Brantley

Dorian Johnson

Taywan Taylor 

DeDe Westbrook

Jake Butt 

Carl Lawson

Jourdan Lewis

Montravious Adams

Bucky Hodges

Damontae Kazee

I thought Taylor is gone?  Dede Westbrook could be another D-Jax type great player -- but wonder if they'd take him because of character issues

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was checking out Marlon Mack since the team supposedly likes him

I like Mack alot. And he is a serious threat catching the ball out of the backfield as well. There is no denying his college production:

RUSHING
TEAM
GP
ATT
ATT/G
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
TD
LNG
100+
USF
USF
USF
Stats Legend [ + ]
RECEIVING
TEAM
GP
REC
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
LNG
TD
100+
USF
USF
USF

CAREER STATS RUSHING RECEIVING

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31141/after-productive-two-days-redskins-will-seek-depth-at-rb-ol

But, for now, they can focus on several areas:

Running back: They were interested in Dalvin Cook, but he was drafted before their second-round choice. But it remains an area they'd like to provide more help for Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson in particular. Oklahoma's Samaje Perine and San Diego State's D.J. Pumphrey are among the best remaining.

Guard: Shawn Lauvao is entering the final year of his contract. The Redskins aren't in a hurry to replace him for 2017, but if they find his replacement, they can go younger and cheaper in 2018. Some fourth-round choices include Pitt's Dorian Johnson and Utah's Isaac Asiata.

Quarterback: The Redskins weren't going to select one in the top three rounds. It would create instant controversy with Cousins' situation unsettled beyond 2017. But if they take one in the later rounds, it would be someone viewed as developmental. Their main completion would not be Cousins, but, rather third stringer Nate Sudfeld. Pitt's Nathan Peterman has been suggested as a good fit for Jay Gruden's offense. Josh Dobbs remains available; he's represented by Cousins' agent.

Receiver: The Redskins are set with their top three receivers -- Terrelle Pryor, Jamison Crowder and Josh Doctson. Those three are the most talented, though Doctson has much to prove. After that, Maurice Harris shows potential and the coaches still like Ryan Grant. They also signed Brian Quick. But they can easily add more competition for this group. Tennessee's Josh Malone is fast but needs work to develop. The Redskins would provide that time.

Safety: They moved Su'a Cravens to safety and signed D.J. Swearinger. Those two should end up starting. They also have Will Blackmon and Deshazor Everett, Josh Evans and, possibly, DeAngelo Hall. But they could use another young player to develop. This spot will be helped by better play from the front seven.

Linebacker: Getting Anderson solved one problem. But with three inside linebackers who can be free agents next season -- Will Compton, Zach Brown and Mason Foster -- they'd be wise to keep adding here. They do have Martrell Spaight and Steven Daniels. The deeper the draft goes, the tougher it is to find strong inside linebackers. Ohio's Blair Brown is a fourth or fifth-round option.

Defensive line: The Redskins signed two linemen in free agency and drafted Allen in the first round. They have young players they hope develop in Anthony Lanier and Matt Ioannidis among others. Ziggy Hood is back, too. Still, adding another interior lineman in a deep draft for defense would be wise. Iowa's Jaleel Johnson and Clemson's Carlos Watkins are available.

Tight end: They don't need starters with Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis around. They have quality backups in Niles Paul and Derek Carrier. But if the Redskins wanted to add another tight end, they could, perhaps challenging one of the two backups. Michigan’s Jake Butt is still available.

20 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Adams Lewis and Taylor are gone 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought Taylor is gone?  Dede Westbrook could be another D-Jax type great player -- but wonder if they'd take him because of character issues

Well no wonder my big board looks so damn good! Lets update that list: Thanks!

Caleb Brantley

Cordrea Tankersley

Dorian Johnson 

DeDe Westbrook

Jake Butt 

Carl Lawson

Bucky Hodges

Damontae Kazee

David Sharpe

Nathan Peterman

Shelton Gibson

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Mack alot. And he is a serious threat catching the ball out of the backfield as well. There is no denying his college production:

CAREER STATS RUSHING RECEIVING

If I recall he has a bigger fumbling issue than Cook so he needs to solve that in the NFL.  Of the guys I haven't really studied much like him, I hang on to mostly remembering what other people say about guys, and if I recall Bucky Brooks from Path to the Draft gushed about the guy.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Man I'm hooked on the prospect of pairing Zach Brown with Blair Brown the middle. Or just having no drop off in a rotation. 

Probably won't double up at LB but that would be freeking awesome. 

Hail. 

I'd be cool with it but be a little surprised.  I am not a Compton guy but they seem to like him.  I recall Scot liked Spaight.   And they got a run thumper in the draft last year in Daniels -- or at least in theory. 

Got Keim and Mike Jones playing up offense today, I am guessing one of these two picks in the 4th will be a running back.

Archived