Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Two - 2nd/3rd Round - Discussion Thread

TSO

I just want one or two O-linemen/projects/diamonds if we can find them. I think we have reasonable depth at most positions at this point (with the FA additions). I'd like a little more competition at the left guard position. Seems like Arie Kouandjio should have cracked the lineup by now.

Far as a RB, we just resigned Thompson and I think Fat Rob is "like that"  I really don't get all this talk about "needing" a RB. Who knows what Keith Marshall is going to bring next year. He's comparable to Dalvin Cooke if you ask me.  

1 minute ago, joeken24 said:

I just want one or two O-linemen/projects/diamonds if we can find them. I think we have reasonable depth at most positions at this point (with the FA additions). I'd like a little more competition at the left guard position. Seems like Arie Kouandjio should have cracked the lineup by now.

Far as a RB, we just resigned Thompson and I think Fat Rob is "like that"  I really don't get all this talk about "needing" a RB. Who knows what Keith Marshall is going to bring next year. He's comparable to Dalvin Cooke if you ask me.  

Honestly Marshall is athletic as hell (in a straight line) but has zero actual football skills/instincts. He's useless and won't make this roster even if we trade Matt Jones and even if we don't draft a RB. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Honestly Marshall is athletic as hell (in a straight line) but has zero actual football skills/instincts. He's useless and won't make this roster even if we trade Matt Jones and even if we don't draft a RB. 

I will admit, he looked a bit tentative last year. 

We'll see.

Stupid compensatory picks we never take advantage of are going to wipe out a TON of the talent we're all so psyched is still on the board. 

If it starts getting thin I wonder if we move up with one of our 4ths

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

The 2008 draft was loaded with WR and TE depth.  

Yeah but this is across the board all of a similar top quality. And there's still a shed load left. 

You really can't screw up your draft this year at all unless you're excessively incompetent. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

There's straight up starting DE's/ WR's/ CB's/ S's on the board still. At NINETY-SEVEN!

Can anyone EVER remember the depth of a draft like this of such top quality?

Hail. 

Eh. I kinda feel like people (certainly including me) find players we "can't believe are available" thru the draft every year.

Jordan Leggett I would have a hard time passing on, too, btw.

28 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is especially true with rounds 2 and 3, although in round 1 he had a choice between Allen and Foster. But we all had our favorite guys in round 2 and different draft charts had a bunch of guys all rated about the same. Why Anderson over Cunningham, Evans, McMillian, Tomlinson, etc. That was a Bruce choice that should be credited to or charged against Bruce. And in round 3 it was Moreau vs Dorian Johnson, D'Onta Foreman, John Johnson, Desmond King, Montravius Adams, etc. We'll be judging Bruce (not Scot) if one of those guys we didn't pick blows up and Moreau doesn't. So this is on Bruce - good or bad. 

I have to disagree with this. I think we can hold a nuanced, more reality-based, position on this than just "this is all Bruce" or "this is all Scot". 

Here's what we know. Scot has been GM up until last month. Whether we want to argue about him being undermined or whatever during that time, we do know he was in charge of making these boards and prioritizing players. 

Scott Campbell recently said this was essentially Scot's boards with updates made by him and the rest of the scouting department once Scot was fired. That's pretty much what the media has reported as well. We also have Jessica McCloughan pretty much verifying that, though one can debate this. I think it's pretty clear what her tweets imply.

With all that said, it's still Bruce's final say. So, yes, he does have to execute the plan. So we can attribute the "execution" while also attributing the "plan" to the correct parties, good or bad.

I struggle to credit or discredit one guy here. And it's part of why it sucks to have an unstable FO.  

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Eh. I kinda feel like people (certainly including me) find players we "can't believe are available" thru the draft every year.

Jordan Leggett I would have a hard time passing on, too, btw.

Right. But this is starteing calibre after starting calibre pick after pick. 

Ridiculous depth this year. To me anyways. Shrugs. 

Hail. 

Loving what the Redskins have done so far. Added 3 starters on defense, one at each level. And got great value with each pick.

I'm gutted the Giants got Tomlinson though, he is someone I wanted to plug into the middle of our base defense. We still don't have the 0/1 tech for our base. I think that and a quick twitch pass rusher are what's missing to really help our D turn the corner.

Grade A draft for the Skins thus far though IMO.

i'd like Peterman if he lasts in the 4th round. He's a great fit in Grudens scheme and at worst a very very good backup for Cousins if he stays and possibly his replacement if he leaves after this year.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Loving what the Redskins have done so far. Added 3 starters on defense, one at each level. And got great value with each pick.

I'm gutted the Giants got Tomlinson though, he is someone I wanted to plug into the middle of our base defense. We still don't have the 0/1 tech for our base. I think that and a quick twitch pass rusher are what's missing to really help our D turn the corner.

Grade A draft for the Skins thus far though IMO.

i'd like Peterman if he lasts in the 4th round. He's a great fit in Grudens scheme and at worst a very very good backup for Cousins if he stays and possible his replacement if he leaves after this year.

IMG_0989.PNG

17 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

Youve got to be kidding me...

Jourdan Lewis to Cowboys.

Ive had 6 of my guys drafted so far.

4 of them by NFC East rivals.

Well judging by your track record I'd say we're golden in that case! :D 

I'm totally kidding I don't even remember your track record exactly, lol. I just know you and GHH are always at it on your choices, much to my amusement. :ols: 

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

I have to disagree with this. I think we can hold a nuanced, more reality-based, position on this than just "this is all Bruce" or "this is all Scot". 

Here's what we know. Scot has been GM up until last month. Whether we want to argue about him being undermined or whatever during that time, we do know he was in charge of making these boards and prioritizing players. 

Scott Campbell recently said this was essentially Scot's boards with updates made by him and the rest of the scouting department once Scot was fired. That's pretty much what the media has reported as well. We also have Jessica McCloughan pretty much verifying that, though one can debate this. I think it's pretty clear what her tweets imply.

With all that said, it's still Bruce's final say. So, yes, he does have to execute the plan. So we can attribute the "execution" while also attributing the "plan" to the correct parties, good or bad.

I struggle to credit or discredit one guy here. And it's part of why it sucks to have an unstable FO.  

True, but this is more towards the 1067 type personalities who seem to think that with this team in Bruce's hands we're doomed. Scot's not going to get criticized for this draft just like Scot wasn't criticized for the 2014 draft. People like to hate on GM because he didn't come from a scouting background but I've always said how important is that? People like to call Bruce Vinny 2.0, but when has Vinny ever executed a draft even remotely similar to this one, or the 2014 draft? Vinny had 10 picks once (I think thats right) in 2008 and that turned out to be a HORRIBLE draft because, while it can be argued that each player was the BPA at the time (Thomas, Kelley and Davis all had first round grades in different mocks and listings), we all saw that there was a lot of going overboard at that pass catching position and ignoring the rest of the team. So we wound up getting the say top 3 offensive weapons on our board and ignoring say the top defensive weapon (remaining) on our board. But I don't need to say how bad that draft was, I just feel its necessary to remind people how bad Vinny was because it irks me to the nth degree when people call Bruce a newer version of him. 

I have no problem giving some credit to Scot because he was a part of this team and held the GM title, but as @zoony did such a good job pointing out, the man does not walk on water. And if this winds up being a better draft than 2016 and 2015 then we need to stop saying that Bruce is not a legit GM or that we'll never have a respectable FO again and all the other memes that are going around mocking the guy for firing a guy who was well liked. 

Hoping for Carl Lawson, Caleb Brantley, or Samaje Perine with our next pick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/florida/report-5-teams-shown-interest-caleb-brantley-since-arrest/amp

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Los Angeles Rams, Denver Broncos and Washington Redskins “have shown the most interest/done most work in the past two days” regarding Brantley.

Archived