Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Draft Day Two - 2nd/3rd Round - Discussion Thread

TSO

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If we now add Xavier Woods or Kevin King at safety early tomorrow I may spontaneously combust in ecstatic euphoria. 

Blair Brown after Anderson may just a little too much to ask. 

Hail. 

kevin King went to the packers first pick round 2

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Honestly... we just need a body for the spot.  It's always nice to have a good player at any position, but we'd probably play a 0/1 tech in a base package less than 30% of our snaps.  This position is like fullback.  You can get by with a late rounder.

I know its not the most important position,  but its pretty important when you do need it. I also don't want a 350+ pounder. But getting a solid real NT would go a long way for us and the 4rth isn't really early.

I really don't want to see some half-ass QB pick in the 4th, even with the "ah we have an extra 4th and Cousins situation, etc" disclaimer. I just don't want to muddy the waters with Kirk at all--you refused to talk trade about him, you keep saying you'll commit--****ing do it. Use those mid rounders to keep building the team around him and sign him to big $$$ by July 15th. Be done with it. I don't want a mid-round QB pick and speculation about whether 1 year is long enough for him to get up to speed for 2018. Kaaya, Peterman, Dobbs, etc...they can all go **** themselves.

Ok. At 5 in the AM I'm turning in finally for a LONG lie in on a lazy Saturday! 

Absolutely over joyed with our draft. Even though I wouldn't of taken Anderson I don't hate the pick at all. And Allen and Moreau are just off the charts mad value and top talent. Praise the Lord for our good fortune in the injury falls there into our laps. 

We may just have the beginnings of a top notch D. 

Here's to continuing this through day 3. 

Hail. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I really don't want to see some half-ass QB pick in the 4th, even with the "ah we have an extra 4th and Cousins situation, etc" disclaimer. I just don't want to muddy the waters with Kirk at all--you refused to talk trade about him, you keep saying you'll commit--****ing do it. Use those mid rounders to keep building the team around him and sign him to big $$$ by July 15th. Be done with it. I don't want a mid-round QB pick and speculation about whether 1 year is long enough for him to get up to speed for 2018. Kaaya, Peterman, Dobbs, etc...they can all go **** themselves.

We do better picking Quarterbacks in the Fourth Round-though for the reasons you say I do not see them doing it, but I think there is value there

Just now, gooseneck said:

We do better picking Quarterbacks in the Fourth Round-though for the reasons you say I do not see them doing it, but I think there is value there

I don't think there is value there, and we don't "do better picking QB's in the 4th round". We lucked into Cousins once. 

2 minutes ago, JPG said:

To you guys who know the players who are left.

Who do we want in the 4th?

You're going to get answers all over the map, but to me:

Dede Westbrook & Caleb Brantley - assuming the character issues don't scare you off

Desmond King - could play CB or S, heady high football IQ guy like Anderson

RBs: Samaje Perine, Jeremy McNichols

OG: Dorian Johnson

Those are guys who would fill needs and represent good value.  You need WR depth and Westbrook's a pretty good fit.  Brantley would add to the DL rotation.  King would be a future FS or perhaps a slot corner.  Perine/McNichols would be part of a RBBC with Kelley.  Johnson would compete with Kouoanjio for the LG spot.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Strongly disagree. Every year, there's at least one or two stacked teams that could've made it to a Championship game if not for the fact that organizational ineptitude and short-sightedness led to some limpdick backup quarterback like Matt McGloin or Tom Savage taking the reigns come playoff time.

Backup QB doesn't matter... until it does. If there's a guy available with borderline starter potential, I'm all for drafting and developing one.

There are TONS of good players left...very exciting...

My top 4th round talent...

QB -  Petermann, Dobbs, Kaaya....we need to consider one of these guys

RB -  Mack, Perine, Gallman, Logan, McNichols, Jamal Williams, Joe Williams, Pumphrey

WR -  Hollins, Dupre, Malone, Reynolds, Hansen, Gibson

TE -   Butt, Leggett

OL -   Dorian Johnson, Siragusa, Asiata, Eluemenor

DL -   Watkins, Brantley, Jaleel Johnson

OLB - Lawson

ILB -  Walker

CB -  King, Kazee

S -   Eddie Jackson

If Brantley is there with our 1st pick in the 4th Rd I pull the trigger. He's talented, what he is accused doesn't sound so clear cut. In the end I'll think he'll be a free man.

The lady already offered a settlement, possibly she's looking for a payday. He refused the settlement offer. I have a hard time believing this guy was just looking for a woman to punch. Supposedly, she attacked him multiple times and he pushed her away from him, possibly in the face. Her witnesses say he punched her. The two witnesses are her college roommate and her roommates longtime friend.  There are other witnesses however, the bar bouncers and owner are giving a different account. She attacked he push away, no blatant vicious punch. If it's in fact what it looks like really happened I'm ok w/ the pick.

He's gotta be smarter in the future, but this isn't a career criminal woman beater from what I've read. He's my guy with our 1st 4th..

54 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I have no problem giving some credit to Scot because he was a part of this team and held the GM title, but as @zoony did such a good job pointing out, the man does not walk on water. And if this winds up being a better draft than 2016 and 2015 then we need to stop saying that Bruce is not a legit GM or that we'll never have a respectable FO again and all the other memes that are going around mocking the guy for firing a guy who was well liked. 

I can only speak for myself. I disagree with the notion that having a talent evaluating background isn't super important. I think it is. It seemed like Bruce did as well when he hired Scot and gave him the position of GM which, by his own words, gave him "final say over personnel".

So, really, I'm just holding Bruce to what he was saying, and what he did by hiring a GM, back in January 2015. I don't think that, suddenly, things have changed to where that structure is no longer necessary. I look around the league and I see the majority of consistently successful teams operating with that structure.

So, for me, it's always been real simple. Titles should be given to represent responsibilities that are relative to the expertise or strength of the one holding them. Bruce is fine in the role of Team President where he's making those hiring decisions with said titles, in charge of the new Stadium plans, working contracts and the cap along with Shaffer, and the general politics of running a franchise. I think those are his strengths.

I don't, however, think his strength is building a roster. I don't think he's an expert talent-evaluator. And that's who I want holding the title of GM. It'd be the same if Scot was actually coaching players on the practice field. That's not his strength, never was, and I wouldn't want him doing that. That's for Gruden and the coaching staff. And so on.  

So, no, I don't just give "some credit" to Scot for this draft. I'd argue it's at least half of the credit, if not more. These are his boards, whether it's the draft or FA, the team is working off of. Bruce has to execute it, absolutely, and he deserves credit for doing so. So does Scott Campbell, Alex Santos, Shaffer, Gruden, the rest of the coaches, and the rest of the scouting staff for whatever input they've had or responsibilities they've had added since Scot's firing.

But all that should show is how vital a legit GM is. It shouldn't give Bruce the idea that things are fine as is simply because the team's perceived success right now and throughout this offseason has Scot's hands all over it in a significant way. You'd have to devalue Scot's work to an unrealistic level in order to justify that. You'd have to claim that Scot wasn't as involved or wasn't the guy in charge of creating these boards or prioritizing targets and that'd fly in the face of everything we've heard about this so far. 

I won't accept that, myself. 

Basically, I don't see how we can come to the conclusion that everything is fine and the role Scot occupied is unnecessary to fill now based on how this offseason went. I'd argue it's the complete opposite and it's shown just how important it is. We NEED a legit, talent-evaluating, GM. Bruce Allen is NOT that. That hasn't changed in my mind.       

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

There are TONS of good players left...very exciting...

My top 4th round talent...

QB -  Petermann, Dobbs, Kaaya....we need to consider one of these guys

RB -  Mack, Perine, Gallman, Logan, McNichols, Jamal Williams, Joe Williams, Pumphrey

WR -  Hollins, Dupre, Malone, Reynolds, Hansen, Gibson

TE -   Butt, Leggett

OL -   Dorian Johnson, Siragusa, Asiata, Eluemenor

DL -   Watkins, Brantley, Jaleel Johnson

OLB - Lawson

ILB -  Walker

CB -  King, Kazee

S -   Eddie Jackson

Good list, I'd add Bucky Hodges, Vincent Taylor, Tanzel Smart.  Dede Westbrook is a beast but character issues.

Archived