Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT. Morgan Moses signs 5 year extension

clskinsfan

Congrats to Morgan. Glad to have the right side solidified for the next 5 years:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/morgan-moses-signs-five-year-contract-extension/

Scheffter reports he is the second highest paid RT in the league. Wow!

Ian Rapoport is reporting that the deal was 5 years $40M base, $42.5M max, $20M guaranteed.

Give the Allen FO credit where credit is due. The 2014 draft class of Moses, Long, and Breeland is looking solid (especially given that we had no 1st), and with the disturbing exception of Cousins, we are finally locking up our own guys before their contracts expire.

Cool. I assume this shrinks our cap space considerably in the short term. Glad to get this done though. He's been more than solid.

It does feel like a rich contract, but I suspect that it's an issue more of escalating salaries than it is the Redskins getting fleeced... or maybe that the Redskins are getting fleeced because of escalating salaries. Still, tackles are very important.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Cool. I assume this shrinks our cap space considerably in the short term. Glad to get this done though. He's been more than solid.

It does feel like a rich contract, but I suspect that it's an issue more of escalating salaries than it is the Redskins getting fleeced... or maybe that the Redskins are getting fleeced because of escalating salaries. Still, tackles are very important.

hopefully it increases it in the short term

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Maybe?  It does read as a 5 year extension, so that would be in addition to his upcoming year.  Unclear when the extension kicks in cap-wise.  It's possible our cap goes up but not by much at all.

I think Moses is great, although it does surprise me how much they paid.  Probably puts him then around 8-9 million.  I guess they figure they can draft guards cheaper, because I highly doubt they plan to make a 3rd-4th linemen one of the highest paid in the league.  

Draft, develop, re-sign.

This move pleases me.

And while 2nd highest paid RT sounds high, in 3 years he'll probably be 7th or so, and by the end of the deal he'll be probably in the teens easily.  If they think he's a top 5 RT in the league, worth every penny, doubly so if someone is thinking of snagging him for LT with LT money.  Gotta pre-empt that market or it probably lures him away.

When you sign new contract you are always on top of the hill. Thats the NFL. Next year other guys will pass him etc etc. If he hit FA next year people might have throw LT money at him. 

Think sends a good message. If you play well we want to keep you. Not sure about Moses in the run blocking but he is great in pass so happy to keep him long term.

6 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Wilco - I am glad your banner image will finally be updated tonight.  It has been a long time with no changes.  I figured we would have Kirk signed and "He Stays" would be part of it by now.  Maybe I am being premature.    We could trade out of the first round tonight.

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly said:

Wilco - I am glad your banner image will finally be updated tonight.  It has been a long time with no changes.  I figured we would have Kirk signed and "He Stays" would be part of it by now.  Maybe I am being premature.    We could trade out of the first round tonight.

After the 2nd pick in draft I will update Kirk. Not sure that SF doesn't throw picks for him. 

Archived