Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT. Morgan Moses signs 5 year extension

clskinsfan

If Moses is worth $10M per year, Cousins is worth $50M per year.  Moses could be replaced by Ty Nsekhe with very little drop off in our offense.  Re-signing him isn't a headscratcher, but making him the second highest paid RT in the game is definitely overpaying.

2 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

If Moses is worth $10M per year, Cousins is worth $50M per year.  Moses could be replaced by Ty Nsekhe with very little drop off in our offense.  Re-signing him isn't a headscratcher, but making him the second highest paid RT in the game is definitely overpaying.

Luckily we signed Nsekhe to a multi year deal as well this off season. We are good at T for the foreseeable future.

Edit: I was wrong Nsekhe is a RFA next year.

Just now, ncr2h said:

What? Nsekhe is also 30+ years old. Moses is a top 5 RT. And would probably get paid #1 RT money on the open market. Ridiculous argument.

50 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

Cost of doing business.  He's the second highest paid RT now.  In a few years, he won't be.  This is easily the best move of the post-Scot era and makes me feel a whole lot better about the team's direction as a whole.  This is what smart teams do: when you have a guy who's playing well at an important position, lock him up.  Don't fret about nickels and dimes.  His contract will become middle of the pack within a few years.  And let's be honest, teams are starting to realize it's not just left tackles who are super valuable, it's the O-line as a whole.  You win in the NFL by having a franchise QB, keeping him off the ground, and harassing the other QB, whether it's via sacks/pressures or tight coverage.  In a perfect world, Spencer Long proves himself to be a starting-caliber C this year, we lock him and Scherff up, draft a good G in this draft, and we have a very good OL for years.  We've already got the tackles.

2 hours ago, scruffylookin said:

Awesome resign and a very good pick. Love finding a legit starting Tackle in the 3rd round. That is why I hated wasting a high first on a guard in 2015.

Agree with the first two sentences, not the third.  Everybody panned the Travis Frederick pick by the Cowboys at the time.  Now?  "What a sage move!".  They're winning because they built a great O-line and found a competent defensive coordinator, not Dak/Zeke.  I like Dak & Zeke, but this notion that somehow they transformed the Cowboys is ridiculous. QBs look a whole lot better when they're not getting hit, just like RBs look a whole lot better when they're running through gaping holes.  

What's amusing to me about that logic is that if you extend it, somehow had we played Scherff at RT instead of kicking him inside and playing Moses at RT, it transforms into an acceptable move because it's OK to draft a tackle at 5 but not a guard, even if Scherff at guard results in a better O-line.  We got a starting guard and tackle with the two picks.  That's all that matters.

2 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Only until someone else gets paid more.

Exactly.  2nd highest-paid *now*.  Next year, prolly not.

15 minutes ago, saltydog75 said:

Agree with the first two sentences, not the third.  Everybody panned the Travis Frederick pick by the Cowboys at the time.  Now?  "What a sage move!".  They're winning because they built a great O-line and found a competent defensive coordinator, not Dak/Zeke.  I like Dak & Zeke, but this notion that somehow they transformed the Cowboys is ridiculous. QBs look a whole lot better when they're not getting hit, just like RBs look a whole lot better when they're running through gaping holes.  

What's amusing to me about that logic is that if you extend it, somehow had we played Scherff at RT instead of kicking him inside and playing Moses at RT, it transforms into an acceptable move because it's OK to draft a tackle at 5 but not a guard, even if Scherff at guard results in a better O-line.  We got a starting guard and tackle with the two picks.  That's all that matters.

We got a *pro bowl* guard.  Lauvao is also a starting G, so "starting" isn't so meaningful.

24 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

We got a *pro bowl* guard.  Lauvao is also a starting G, so "starting" isn't so meaningful.

Literally, yeah.  I tend to use "starting" in the sense of "is the quality of a starting player", not "he's terrible but he's in the lineup".  Lauvao to me isn't a starting guard.  He's a guard who we have to start.  "Starting guard" is when you actually like the player starting there.

I do think the "Pro Bowl" designation is becoming increasingly less valuable given how many players skip it.  I like Scherff, but it's not like years ago when All-Pro almost universally meant "in the top handful of players at this position".  Now, it's more of "is below the top tier of players who have been to the Pro Bowl so much they don't bother to go any more".  Still good, but not quite the same.

But who cares?  Scherff was a quality part of an offensive line that protected Kirk Cousins on his way to a record-setting year.  That's all I need.

3 hours ago, scruffylookin said:

Awesome resign and a very good pick. Love finding a legit starting Tackle in the 3rd round. That is why I hated wasting a high first on a guard in 2015.

I would hardly call the Scherff pick a "wasted pick".

2 hours ago, ncr2h said:

Locking up the line long term and will let Cousins walk after the season. Trying to build the team ala Dallas it seems. If so, I'd expect a RB tonight. 

It's great to have both of your tackles locked up for a couple years. Trent probably won't be playing out his contract as he is getting up there in age and seems to get injured more frequently. If they cut him after a couple years Morgan probably could move over. 

4 hours ago, ncr2h said:

Need to find out what the guaranteed amount is. The reported average salary is virtually meaningless without knowing the guaranteed amount. But let's say it is $10M and most of it guaranteed - making him the 2nd highest paid RT. He has a good rapport with Scherff. So they have locked in the Oline to make it consistent. That's spending wisely.

Excellent signing and smart to lock him up now. He's young, drafted and developed by us, and his contract will seem very reasonable to the few doubters in a couple seasons when other OL surpass the numbers, and very possibly end of this coming season if Moses keeps progressing as he has been.

Archived