Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Passenger Dragged off of Overbooked United Airlines Plane

RonArtest15

23 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Then they should, along with American Airlines. I'm currently looking at flights for a vacation in early July. It's amazing that those two can stay in business with their prices. Southwest is much more cheaper.

Well, yeah. Southwest is basically a cattle tram, herding as many passengers as possible with minimal frills and conveniences. I generally take Southwest for shorter flights, but for longer ones, the zero personal space thing becomes a nuisance.

In regards to the story, it's pretty shameful that United can basically assault and forcibly remove a paying customer, because of their own dumbassery in purposefully overbooking the flight. That's just pathetic. I hope this guy gets a nice payout. I don't give a **** about his past issues, since it doesn't have any bearing on this situation. I also hope United's dumbass CEO gets canned. Did you guys read his response yesterday? Holy tone-deaf hell.

7 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Well, yeah. Southwest is basically a cattle tram, herding as many passengers as possible with minimal frills and conveniences. I generally take Southwest for shorter flights, but for longer ones, the zero personal space thing becomes a nuisance.

From where I'm flying from, Southwest also offers nonstop flights which is a huge plus. American and United don't. Plus no baggage fees. 

40 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I think we will see more incidents like this in the future, not less.

Some airlines now wont allow you to choose a seat if you are buying a basic fare.  Meaning, you'll get one assigned at the airport after all of the other folks have checked in.   Want an assigned seat?  Pay more.  The friendly skies are becoming another place where the have's and the havenots are battling, but the bad guy is neither of them.

Im still waiting for someone to explain to me how an airline loses money if a paying passenger doesnt show up for a flight.

I agree that basic necessities seem to be going towards a "pay to play" scenario. 

Much like rich people can pay to travel the HOV lanes solo. If you have money, you can skip ahead in a public line. 

Even pizza delivery favors the rich. For a mere $2.99 you can have your pizza delivered before the others who didnt pay the fee. Why would you ever order from Papa Johns knowing your pizza/service is taking a back seat to a rich persons? 

I dont think it is "losing money"  as much as the airline could be making even more money. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/papa-johns-customers-can-now-pay-a-fee-to-get-pizza-faster-2017-2

Companies are looking for any loose change in our pockets but they have to balance the risks better imo. In a free capital system, why even order papa Johns when Pizza Bolis has a better product at a better rate?   

14 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont think it is "losing money"  as much as the airline could be making even more money. 

Hey nobody better start infringing on their right to sell 135 seats on a 130 seat plane.  If they can't sell seats they don't have for services they don't deliver how are they ever going to make it??  They will have to lay off people if you persecute the job creators!!

10 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Shouldn't the overbooking situation have been handed BEFORE everyone was seated?  Can't be "policy" to ask someone to vacate their seat once settled, right? 

As long as the plane hasn't taken off yet you are legally allowed to be Denied Bording even though you've already been borded. 

How dumb are some of the laws and regulations in our country? 

20 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Companies are looking for any loose change in our pockets but they have to balance the risks better imo. In a free capital system, why even order papa Johns when Pizza Bolis has a better product at a better rate?   

Maaaaaaaan ****, would kill for some pizza boli's or a stromboli somewhere from back home! 

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

As long as the plane hasn't taken off yet you are legally allowed to be Denied Bording even though you've already been borded. 

How dumb are some of the laws and regulations in our country? 

It's crazy, really.  I'm just thinking back to the times when my flights have been overbooked.  All situations were handled before folks boarded the plane. 

None of this had to happen, United could have been smarter and so could the Doctor. I feel bad for the 3 cops that had to remove the screaming Doc because I'm 100% positive they weren't looking forward to being uploaded 120 times showing them drag a man down the aisle.

A lot of stupidity on both sides.

1 minute ago, jschuck12001 said:

None of this had to happen, United could have been smarter and so could the Doctor. I feel bad for the 3 cops that had to remove the screaming Doc because I'm 100% positive they weren't looking forward to being uploaded 120 times showing them drag a man down the aisle.

A lot of stupidity on both sides.

Last people I feel bad for here are the cops involved.  They assaulted the man. 

22 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I dont own any airline stock, but arent airlines making record profits over the last decade or so?

Gas prices have gone down and airline prices has risen. Go figure.

26 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I dont own any airline stock, but arent airlines making record profits over the last decade or so?

Not really. Airlines are a terrible investment. That is all I am saying. 

That's like saying METRO made profits this year. 

Still in debt. 

43 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Last people I feel bad for here are the cops involved.  They assaulted the man. 

But they were told to remove the man, what are they supposed to do, quit?

Are you going to support their families?

11 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

remove =/= assault

Which he was. 

If someone instructs an officer to remove someone and once the officer removes that person you're saying the officer is responsible not the entity that ordered them to remove the person?

I don't think that makes sense, officers use force to remove people from situations every day and it's usually the last resort and the person is breaking the law or putting others in danger.  I would like to know more about the legal aspect of passengers on planes, I know things changed drastically after 9-11 and many people have been removed forcibly but not with the antics the Dr. was removed.

The Dr. knew exactly what he was doing and he got the exact result he was looking for after accepting the $800 freebie and then renigging on the voucher.

I'm not for cops using brute force for no reason but when the Dr decided not to move or take the voucher he said he would take then he knew it was going to end badly but he also knew he would get an easy lawsuit, he's no dummy, this was about getting paid.

6 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

If someone instructs an officer to remove someone and once the officer removes that person you're saying the officer is responsible not the entity that ordered them to remove the person?

I don't think that makes sense, officers use force to remove people from situations every day and it's usually the last resort and the person is breaking the law or putting others in danger.  I would like to know more about the legal aspect of passengers on planes, I know things changed drastically after 9-11 and many people have been removed forcibly but not with the antics the Dr. was removed.

The Dr. knew exactly what he was doing and he got the exact result he was looking for after accepting the $800 freebie and then renigging on the voucher.

I'm not for cops using brute force for no reason but when the Dr decided not to move or take the voucher he said he would take then he knew it was going to end badly but he also knew he would get an easy lawsuit, he's no dummy, this was about getting paid.

If that is even 50% of your logic on this situation, then I feel comfortable dismissing 100% of your opinion on this incident. You are assuming and bending over backwords to create a narrative to fit your pre-conceived view of this. 

I assume the exact result the Dr wanted was to stay in the seat he was seated in. I base that on his words and actions, not my magical ability to read minds and motives. 

You have constantly looked to discredit or create ulterior motives for this guy ... when it seems pretty clear he just wanted to stay on the flight with his wife. 

Everyone views situations through their own lens though. 

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

If that is even 50% of your logic on this situation, then I feel comfortable dismissing 100% of your opinion on this incident. You are assuming and bending over backwords to create a narrative to fit your pre-conceived view of this. 

I assume the exact result the Dr wanted was to stay in the seat he was seated in. I base that on his words and actions, not my magical ability to read minds and motives. 

You have constantly looked to discredit or create ulterior motives for this guy ... when it seems pretty clear he just wanted to stay on the flight with his wife. 

Everyone views situations through their own lens though. 

Then discredit my opinion, trust me I won't lose sleep.

The Dr is an idiot and if it were me I would have dragged him out of the seat by his ear.

Too many people think they can dismiss authority, its becoming a big issue.

1 minute ago, jschuck12001 said:

Then discredit my opinion, trust me I won't lose sleep.

The Dr is an idiot and if it were me I would have dragged him out of the seat by his ear.

Too many people think they can dismiss authority, its becoming a big issue.

Too many people think it's okay to use force regardless of the situation, it's a big issue. 

*btw, for all you now thinking he's about to rake in millions in lawsuits, I assume he's also about to face multiple felony charges as well. What happens when he's charged for all sorts of dis-obeying airline people on an airplane stuff? By law, this man just committed a bunch of serious crimes. I don't see lawsuits in his future as much as I see legal defense. 

On a lighter note, this man actually does resemble my grandfather. (RIP) Funny story, once my grandpa tried to fly on a plane with 2 large frying pans that he thought were a good deal near the airport and didn't understand why he couldn't have them in his carry-on. 

Archived