Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Passenger Dragged off of Overbooked United Airlines Plane

RonArtest15

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

While this is correct I'll be damned if it aint wrong!  You pay for a flight in advance there needs to be a seat for you.  If laws exist that make this not happen they need to be changed. 

Possibly, but the laws are there because customers buy tickets and then don't show up for flights, this way every flight is as full as it can be. 

25 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Possibly, but the laws are there because customers buy tickets and then don't show up for flights, this way every flight is as full as it can be. 

So what, they still have their money. They don't oversell sporting events, concerts or movie theaters. People don't show up for those events. 

4 hours ago, HOF44 said:

While this is correct I'll be damned if it aint wrong!  You pay for a flight in advance there needs to be a seat for you.  If laws exist that make this not happen they need to be changed. 

This is one of the things I hope gets addressed from this mess. The passenger does agree upon purchase that he/she can be removed for any reason, but thats bull****. Airline screw up needing 4 seats for employees needs to be a provision that isn't under that guideline. I mean what real choice do passengers have in this situation, driving or taking a train? Don't all airlines have that in their terms of service? Airlines have been treating us like cattle for far too long and some of these rules need to be changed now that the spotlight is on them.

Also, after all the people on that plane saw how distressed this man was about getting bumped before the altercation, I didn't see anyone jumping up to give up their seat for this man. I also agree with Ashbury, when this situation happened to me it was addressed BEFORE anyone was boarded on the plane. They asked for volunteers to take a 6am flight the next morning (orginal flight was a red eye flight from SFO to IAD) and in return volunteers would receive $500 and a room. They needed 3 people and I thought it over for about 15 seconds before I went up and gave up my seat. They never said what had happened just that the plane was over booked. 

This entire event just makes me sad from the airline, security and all the passengers. I have a hard time believing every single person on that flight had a deadline to be home and couldn't take another flight for $800.

3 hours ago, DM72 said:

So what, they still have their money. They don't oversell sporting events, concerts or movie theaters. People don't show up for those events. 

Except they don't, the majority of passengers who miss a flight do so because a connecting flight is delayed somewhere else, which then means the plane flies at less than max capacity. 

Remember, this is a business...not a charity.

2 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Airlines have been treating us like cattle for far too long and some of these rules need to be changed now that the spotlight is on them.

Also, after all the people on that plane saw how distressed this man was about getting bumped before the altercation, I didn't see anyone jumping up to give up their seat for this man. I also agree with Ashbury, when this situation happened to me it was addressed BEFORE anyone was boarded on the plane. They asked for volunteers to take a 6am flight the next morning (orginal flight was a red eye flight from SFO to IAD) and in return volunteers would receive $500 and a room. They needed 3 people and I thought it over for about 15 seconds before I went up and gave up my seat. They never said what had happened just that the plane was over booked. 

This entire event just makes me sad from the airline, security and all the passengers. I have a hard time believing every single person on that flight had a deadline to be home and couldn't take another flight for $800.

First: you are nothing but cargo to an airliner. Space not taken is money wasted.

I have a hard time eith it too, because I heard a story today that said after the man was drug off, a woman chaperoning several students removed the kids from the plane....HELLOO?!?! Where were you 20 minutes ago?!

12 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Except they don't, the majority of passengers who miss a flight do so because a connecting flight is delayed somewhere else, which then means the plane flies at less than max capacity. 

Remember, this is a business...not a charity.

But what I'm saying is that the ticket is already paid for. How is the airline losing money?

As long as all the seats have been paid for, what difference does it make if the plane is full or not?

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

So, your point is that the majority of passengers who miss a flight do so because the airline failed to live up to their end?  

And therefore, the airline simply has to intentionally sell products that they don't have?  

11 minutes ago, DM72 said:

But what I'm saying is that the ticket is already paid for. How is the airline losing money?

As long as all the seats have been paid for, what difference does it make if the plane is full or not?

If some paid customers don't show up the airlines make more money duh. Gotta squeeze every dollar.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

If all the tickets were the same price and refundable I might go along with this.  But to get a refundable ticket you pay a premium price.  I'd always assumed that premium was to cover people that cancelled flights.  If overbooking is the cure for that, why do you have to pay the premium for a refundable ticket?

14 hours ago, Larry said:

So, your point is that the majority of passengers who miss a flight do so because the airline failed to live up to their end?  

And therefore, the airline simply has to intentionally sell products that they don't have?  

I can't blame airlines for delays.. a severe thunderstorm over Chicago can F up fights all across the country.

My wife was flying in from toronto once and there was a line of storms moving across ohio and into central PA..  about 400 miles from the airport i was waiting in, and it took forever for her flight to arrive.

the air traffic system is incredibly complex, and can very much be described with the butterfly effect.

small things in one place can cause big delays in a lot of other places.

I think with air travel, people have to be willing to accept that the weather can't be controlled, and it may delay or even cancel their flight. And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

But, employees need your seat?

Screw that.

~Bang

15 minutes ago, Bang said:

I can't blame airlines for delays.. a severe thunderstorm over Chicago can F up fights all across the country.

My wife was flying in from toronto once and there was a line of storms moving across ohio and into central PA..  about 400 miles from the airport i was waiting in, and it took forever for her flight to arrive.

the air traffic system is incredibly complex, and can very much be described with the butterfly effect.

small things in one place can cause big delays in a lot of other places.

I think with air travel, people have to be willing to accept that the weather can't be controlled, and it may delay or even cancel their flight. And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

But, employees need your seat?

Screw that.

~Bang

I completely understand the need for an airline to have seating available for their employees (pilots, stewardesses) to certain destinations because they have to get there to go to work.  I've had flights where pilots were sitting across the isle from me because they needed him to go to the city I was flying to so he could pilot another plane out of that airport.

With that said, the entire model needs to be torn apart and rebuilt.  Every airline should be required to reserve four seats per flight for staff/employees.  And by reserve, not sell the seats at all.  If it is determined that those four seats will not be needed for any staff/employees, then they can sell or switch the tickets for people that were standing by to get on the flight.  

At minimum, if they are going to keep the same stupid policies/regulations in place, is to require the giving up of ones seat to take place prior to boarding the plane.  Bump them before they board and get seated on the plane, all that does is increase aggression.  As for asking for volunteers, they could always announce that right before boarding the plane and explain that if nobody volunteers there will be four passengers (or how ever many) that will have to relinquish their seats and they will be selected at random (even if that is a lie) and notified when they try to board.

A PASSENGER dragged from an overbooked United Express flight suffered a “significant” concussion and broken nose, and lost two front teeth, one of his lawyers said at a press conference.

Dr David Dao has been discharged from a hospital but he will require reconstructive surgery, said lawyer Thomas Demetrio, whose law firm is representing the 69-year-old Kentucky physician.

Dr Dao was forcibly removed from the plane on Sunday after he refused to give up his seat on the full flight from Chicago to Louisville.

One of Dr Dao’s five children, Crystal Pepper, said the family was “horrified, shocked and sickened” to see what happened.

Link

If United had simply realized they needed those seats before boarding, none of this would have happened.  The good Dr would have simply been denied boarding.

I had a situation with an Airtran gate employee years ago that got me so fired up I wrote letters to everyone I could think of at the airline and Govt.  I got a handful of vouchers and an apology from Airtran, and letters from Govt officials basically saying "too bad".

My point is that airlines wont change because their is no body to make them change.

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Marke****ch
Dr. David Dao says United Airlines's ejection more harrowing than fleeing Vietnam: lawyer on.mktw.net/2nIZdIJ
Apr 13, 2017, 11:40 AM

And his daughter is now doing an interview on CNBC, lawyers doing press briefings  .... while I dont agree with the way united handled this .. this is becoming theatre of the absurd. 

This should have died 2 days ago. 

Another airline euphemism besides "re-accommodate" is one we hear during the flight attendant's safety briefing... "In the event of a 'water landing' the seat cushion doubles as a flotation device." 

I think there has been one actual "water landing" in the whole history of commercial aviation, and Sully has been branded a miracle working hero for it.

17 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

And his daughter is now doing an interview on CNBC, lawyers doing press briefings  .... while I dont agree with the way united handled this .. this is becoming theatre of the absurd. 

This should have died 2 days ago. 

Dao is gonna be raking in the millions after this....his lawyers are clearly coaching him up.  United, City of Chicago, etc. messed w/ the wrong one.  Gonna be multiple lawsuits...

5 hours ago, HOF44 said:

If all the tickets were the same price and refundable I might go along with this.  But to get a refundable ticket you pay a premium price.  I'd always assumed that premium was to cover people that cancelled flights.  If overbooking is the cure for that, why do you have to pay the premium for a refundable ticket?

I thought this was a fair article that supports over-booking, but places the blame on the management of the system. I don't agree with the article on all points, but it is fair and lacks sensationalism.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/12/the-united-airlines-incident-does-not-re

Has it been confirmed that the character assassination attempt was the wrong guy like was mentioned yesterday?  I think most people ignored the character assassination in the first place so it seems to have slipped away, but I was wondering because that's gotta be worth a few extra zeroes on the end of a lawsuit against somebody.

Archived