Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What band(s) made you get into music?

codeorama

Spaceman Spiff has a nice little trend going. I'll try to contribute:

When I first became interested in music, it was Elton John.  Someone gave me a Greatest Hits cassette tape and I listened to it because that's all I had.  Eventually, MTV came into play and the first 3 albums that I wanted to purchase were Cheap Trick's One on One, Rush's Moving Pictures and the Who's Face Dances.  I ended up getting Hall and Oates' Private Eyes.  While at the time, i ended up liking Hall and Oates, my mom finally caved and bought me CT's One on One and that was it for me.  Loved it.  My aunt bought me The Who's Face Dances and finally, I can't even remember how, but I got Moving Pictures and it was a game changer. It's still one of my favorite albums of all time.  I listen to it start to finish at least once every few months and can play all the songs except Camera Eye on guitar (not because I can't, but never really wanted to) and played Tom Saywer, Red Barchetta and Limelight out live with my band.

After that, I remember being scared of Iron Maiden in middle school but one day, on a whim, I bought Iron Maiden's Live After Death in 1986 when a record store in the mall had a huge display.  Hooked.  Still jam out to Maiden today. Maiden opened the door for other stuff. 

In 1989, I discovered Led Zeppelin.  Seriously, I knew a lot of the songs but never really knew who they were by.  A friend told me to buy one of their albums. Buy the end of the week, I had all of them and bought a guitar later that year.

Aerosmith, Zepplin, Stones, and Van Halen. Really was into Aerosmith first. My parents had a massive vinyl collection (I was born in 1976) and gravitated towards those albums, then Zepplin, then the Stones. When I turned 11, got my first guitar after hearing and seeing Edward just rip **** up! Since then have studied and listened to literally every influence and by product of those bands. I love studying and learning about music but it started with those four.

The Beach Boys lead me to the Beatles, which lead me to LZ.  But Van Halen really opened up the California hair metal scene for me.  I had a friend who was really in the DC punk scene, so that sort of pushed me into that direction in the early 80s.  

Rush, AC/DC, and Sabbath.  My enlightening moment came when I put on a set of headphones and dropped the needle on Rush's Fly By Night.  There was silence and then those first chords of the song Fly By Night came out of nowhere and made me jump out of my skin!  That whole album just blew my mind and I never looked back.  My next two albums were For Those About To Rock  and Mob Rules.  Nowadays, I listen to everything except rap and pop; jazz, blues, jam bands, even some country, but I always default back to the harder side of things.  Hatebreed, Pantera, Black Label Society, FFDP, are some of my favorites these days.

I don't think there was a single, or even multiple bands that made me get it to music.  There was an evolution based on what I was exposed to growing up and then through college and beyond.

First rock songs I recall liking were Eric Clapton's version of I Shot the Sheriff and Steely Dan's Ricky Don't Lose that Number.  My parents' influence came in the form of the Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.  Later, my older sister introduced me to Billy Joel, the Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd, Roxy Music and some others.  Songs like Alice Cooper's Schools Out and Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall were huge when I was in middle school.  Then as I got into high school there was a lot of influence based on what was coming out on the radio and my peers, so AC/DC Back in Black, Rush - Moving Pictures, Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin, Genesis - Abacab, The Who - It's Hard, The Police - Ghost in the Machine, etc.  In college I was introduced to bands like U2, INXS, Cheap Trick, the Pretenders, Judas Priest and on and on.  I'm still picking up new music all the time, some from what some of you all post, and some now even from my son who is in high school.

Here I was, a young Springy, listening to GNR at about 6 years old.  GNR was the hottest thing since music and I was all onboard.  Also a huge fan of Michael Jackson.  Sadly, I had a NKOTB phase in there somewhere.

Gin and Juice opened my eyes to hip hop back in 92-93, whenever.  Nevermind got me into alternative.  Was a huge fan of NIN starting about the time Downward Spiral came out.

Classic rock was persistent in the whole span.

The illegal music scene allowed me allowed me to get into back catalogues of artists that I liked. It wasn't really until then that I tried to explore my tastes more than just buying a new CD every week.

I was born in '81.  The music I grew up with came on the oldies station in my parents car.  I loved me some Beach Boys, Beatles, Animals, and The Mamas and Papas.  Then I kind of transitioned to MoTown and LOVED The Temptations, Jackson 5, and The Four Tops.  I loved current Michael Jackson in the 80's and listened to the record of Thriller like it was my job.  Then the love of my life came along in the 90's called Nirvana.  They are by far my favorite of all-time and got me into exploring more punk and rock music.

Biggie and Pac got me into rap as a teenager too.  Biggie, Pac, and Eminem are the GOATS for me.

I was fortunate in a way to be raised by very young parents. (Until i was six, then it became parent.. and stopped being so great.)

But in the late 60s, i was listening to Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and the Doors.. bands who would soon populate "album oriented rock" FM radio.

The first favorite song i ever had was Light My Fire, from the Doors.. i was about 5.. and made my mom turn it up every time it came on the radio. I loved it. Still do.

When i was seven, i got in a HUGE argument with a friend over "Riders on the Storm"...  he thought bombs were in the song, and i knew it was thunderstorm sound effects. MASSIVE argument. Danny Rossi, you were WRONG, and i hope you know that now!

First album i bought with my own money was Aerosmith's first album .. i was 11.

First 45 I ever bought with my own money was "Carry on My Wayward Son"..   i didn't buy many 45s.

KISS Destroyer was huge for me, and then all of KISS for a few years. 

Then i got bored and heard tyhe Clash and everything flipped again, heard the Ramones and it all flipped again, then i turned 18, got grandfathered into the drinking age, and could go to clubs ...  and that was it for me. 

I think I was also lucky in that WHFS existed here.. and in the late 70s (at 102.3) and early 80s (at 99.1) nothing ever compared to it. I heard more new music in a day there than i heard in ten years. They literally had no playlist, and the DJs could play anything at all so long as  it didn't violate FCC.
Meg in the morning,, loved her.   never heard her. That is why i loved her. She played great great music, always new, always interesting, and you might hear her for  3 minutes listing what she had just played, but then back into the music. You could go a week on HFS back then and not hear the same song twice. Bob (here) Showacre in the evenings was another favorite. Such a wide range in what he'd play.

SO, i was INTO music, but i felt my music appreciation and horizons were lacking,, until WHFS. After being exposed to them, i have been left hungry for constant new music. I have been left willing to listen to practically anything to see what it is. They expanded my horizons more than anyone.

~Bang

Just now, codeorama said:

Is that the album where Jim Dandy did a live backwards message??

lol idk.

Jim Dandy was quite an entertainer and he did many things live. Not sure about a message though.

Bought the album because i'm a drummer and Tommy Aldredge was the drummer on that album.

5 minutes ago, aREDSKIN said:

lol idk.

Jim Dandy was quite an entertainer and he did many things live. Not sure about a message though.

Bought the album because i'm a drummer and Tommy Aldredge was the drummer on that album.

I know of them because of Tommy Aldredge and also a friend told me about them and the "live backwards message". Supposedly during the recording, he's saying "NATAS" a few times...LOL. I've never heard it but it fits the time period.

My dad is a pure Baby Boomer - born 1946. That makes him a first generation rock and roll fan. He was graduating high school and going into the Army when the Beatles showed up. He loved Buddy Holly and Motown. I eventually stole his Buddy Holly Greatest Hits LP and played it constantly. I think you could probably derive all my musical tastes from that.

Honestly, if you combine Buddy Holly and Motown, you basically come up with the E Street Band. And in 84, I got deep into Springsteen and that's really where I started branching out in all directions.

For me, it all started with Yngwie Malmsteen.  Before I discovered his music, I thought I didn't much care.  Then a friend put me on to Dragonforce (don't care what the haters think, their first three albums were great).  Eventually got put on to Rhapsody, Galneryus, and Edguy after that.  And then finally I started going out and finding bands on my own like Dream Evil, Heavenly, and Reinxeed.

when i was really young my dad got me a walkman with three tapes:

Nirvana's Nervermind

Sublime's 40oz to Freedom

Smashing Pumpkin's Siamese Dream

This was like right when these were all new. Early-mid 90's. 93/94 I guess. I was somewhere between 7-9 years old. My dad (a 60's/70's fan) had no idea what he was getting me. He went to the music store and asked the guy, the guy said "get him these, he'll love them"

i owe nameless dude at music store i can't remember a debt i'll never be able to repay.

Those three bands have, since then, always been my favorite. Two of them having tragic breakups. 90's rock/alternative music will forever hold a special place in my heart.

19 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

For me, it all started with Yngwie Malmsteen.  Before I discovered his music, I thought I didn't much care.  Then a friend put me on to Dragonforce (don't care what the haters think, their first three albums were great).  Eventually got put on to Rhapsody, Galneryus, and Edguy after that.  And then finally I started going out and finding bands on my own like Dream Evil, Heavenly, and Reinxeed.

Yngiwie who?  

Archived