Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

2 hours ago, Sknsnation said:

Marvin Lewis.......Is my answer to the Trivia question.              Congrats to Sean, wish him all the best!!

That answer has an asterik; Lewis made his name in Baltimore and was already established as a future head coach.  McVay got his start and was groomed by The Burgundy & Gold.

29 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Seeing as everyone's on about a 'great offensive mind', one of the best and a top OC who just isn't cut out to be a HC has just resigned from the Vikings. 

Just saying before people run screaming into the Hills then return with burning pitchforks. 

Hail. 

Im confused GHH, is this a post endorsing Norv as our OC? 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gruden may very well go back to calling the plays, but you almost have to have an actual OC for the teaching and coaching of the offense--Gruden has his hands all over it but he's the HC and kinda has to be everywhere at once.

Yes my exact thoughts as I was typing my post...I definitely do not want Gruden to do it all...I'd like to see Callahan..just to get the ground game going more..if I read correctly Gruden supposedly wanted to run more(which dont make sense on account of his track record)but mcvay just did his thing which wasn't much running..Ohhh I know I know seeings how this is the closest I get to playin Madden how bout we hire norv t and bring Adrian Peterson in..I think we have the o line for him to run nasty crazy here..

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I believe yes.  And that's got to be one of the craziest ideas ever.  1. Norv's system is opposite of Grudens.  Not a system fit. 2. Norv wouldn't work for Snyder after he was fired mid-season with a winning record. 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

Am I?  Outside of Kirk Cousins, i will debate that Chris Thompson is our 2nd most valuable asset to resign this offseason

You really think those guys are all going to go play for the sorry Rams just because Jay went? Yes, many liked the guy, but they're not going to follow him around.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Djax is one of the best ball trackers in the NFL. He's fantastic at making plays like that. Like most plays, you get hammered if they don't work and celebrated when they do.

No doubt he is. But that is more of a jump ball situation when it's that close to the goal line. If it were from back at the 20 or something and it was one of those passes that was an over the shoulder drop it in the bucket and let the guy track it passes I would 100% agree with going to DJax.

21 minutes ago, DM72 said:

You really think those guys are all going to go play for the sorry Rams just because Jay went? Yes, many liked the guy, but they're not going to follow him around.

Every head coach from the start of time brings in their own guys from previous teams. 

46 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Not per se as I doubt he'd ever come back here. As much as I'd personally love him to be giving full autonomy over an offence again.

It was merely adding to the 'great offensive mind' line I was reading in post after post this thread. 

Hail.

It's prob been said somewhere in this thread but I was hoping he would take over the HC position. He brings young blood that understands the way the game is now compared to the fading older generation. He's a blue chip coach. Not to talk **** about Gruden, but Mcvay had huge potential. And ofcourse, we let him walk. 

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

Let me address the elephant in the room.  This guy has literally no track record of success.  He's 30 years old and just finished coordinating an offensive unit with an awful red zone TD% and missed the playoffs.  People are acting like he was calling plays for the most vaunted offensive attack in history.  What has he proven that would, for one second, make you believe he'll become a tremendous head coach?  Now think for a second, why is that?  

Could not agree more.  He wasn't even the coordinator here at first, he was just following around Gruden.  So he is the OC of a mediocre team, who has two playoff appearances, both losses I might add, during his tenure, he is 30 years old and now he is a head coach.  Are these people idiots?  They will regret this hire within three years.  

I think McVay has a bright future, but there is definitely a more than good chance that this turns into another Josh McDaniels situation where a young up and coming coordinator gets hired as a HC before he is ready, crashes &  burns relatively quickly and then spends the next 3-5 seasons rebuilding his rep as a coordinator again.  

It's a sad day for the Skins.  I don't think we can understate the impact of the turnover in key coordinators on BOTH sides of the ball.  Only time will tell on how well the offense manages under a new offensive coordinator.  I was prepared for a possible change at defensive coordinator, but not at both coordinator positions.  

We're to find out a lot about this team's resiliency over the next 6-7 months.  MacCloughan will have his hand full.

I am a huge Kirk Cousins fan.  I think that having to learn an entirely new offense may not be so good for the guy.  He may want to hurry up and take an offer from the Redskins soon.  They could hire anyone and completely change things up.  Maybe it'll be really good for him, or maybe it won't?  I have no idea. 

McVay was obviously good enough to get another gig. I don't think he'll be very successful being so young but who knows.  I trust Scot to get someone else in here that will play to Kirk's strengths and hopefully IMPROVE things.  I wonder if Norv Turner is still around :D:D Yeah I know. Terrible coach, but GREAT O Coordinator!

54 minutes ago, RonBurgandy said:

It's prob been said somewhere in this thread but I was hoping he would take over the HC position. He brings young blood that understands the way the game is now compared to the fading older generation. He's a blue chip coach. Not to talk **** about Gruden, but Mcvay had huge potential. And ofcourse, we let him walk. 

We let him walk? We had no say in the matter. Even if they could, what organization would stand in the way of a OC becoming a HC?

5 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

I am a huge Kirk Cousins fan.  I think that having to learn an entirely new offense may not be so good for the guy.  He may want to hurry up and take an offer from the Redskins soon.  They could hire anyone and completely change things up.  Maybe it'll be really good for him, or maybe it won't?  I have no idea. 

McVay was obviously good enough to get another gig. I don't think he'll be very successful being so young but who knows.  I trust Scot to get someone else in here that will play to Kirk's strengths and hopefully IMPROVE things.  I wonder if Norv Turner is still around :D:D Yeah I know. Terrible coach, but GREAT O Coordinator!

From what has been said, McVay was running Gruden's offense.

1 hour ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

Yes my exact thoughts as I was typing my post...I definitely do not want Gruden to do it all...I'd like to see Callahan..just to get the ground game going more..if I read correctly Gruden supposedly wanted to run more(which dont make sense on account of his track record)but mcvay just did his thing which wasn't much running..Ohhh I know I know seeings how this is the closest I get to playin Madden how bout we hire norv t and bring Adrian Peterson in..I think we have the o line for him to run nasty crazy here..

Peterson isn't going to come here. He said he wants to retire as a Viking. Let's be realistic. 

Archived