Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It really depends on whether or not Goff can be a decent QB. If he can then that team could seriously surprise.

Wade will keep the defense humming, they've got Gurley, and some weapons. It hinges on QB play. If McVay can fix the offense, they'll compete with Az and Seattle for the division.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:31 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Of course the defense is worse than the offense, but when you don't score in the RZ it doesn't really matter how many yards you put up, and that's not a good look for any OC.

It does matter.  I think its a very narrow view to say the only thing that matters is RZ touchdowns.  Were they woeful in the RZ this year? Yes.  Thats not good.  But, being top 5 in yards does this for your team:

1. Keeps your defense off the field and fresh.

2. The other team cant score points

3. FGs still count as points

4. It shows you know offense pretty well, and are more likely to figure out that last piece of the puzzle.  

You score more points, and allow less points when you are top 5 in yards, even with a poor RZ TD percentage.  Lets also not pretend that people dont have to learn in life and experience isnt important.  When a young OC shows they are incredibly talented at running an offense, but struggle in just one area, one might just think "Give him a couple of years, and he will have that down to and be amazing".

It is pure foolishness in my opinion to write off young people because they make mistakes.  If that was the case any player that didnt produce year one would be cut.

I do wish McVay the best, and I think he is very talented.  But running a team as a HC and running an offense are completely different.  For a guy as young as he is, this could be a trial and fire, and crash and burn in 2 years, not because he lacks talent, but because teams probably shouldnt be making 30 year olds their head coach due to lack of life experience.

22 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

So that means the vast majority at ES thinks he sucks and that the one NFL genius guy thinks he's worth something.

That's something worth thinking about...

Or that he has zero contacts in the NFL and can only poach former redskins coaches to work with him. 

18 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

It really depends on whether or not Goff can be a decent QB. If he can then that team could seriously surprise.

I think it hinges more on whether McVay learned the Griffin lesson from Jay while he was in DC.  If he can draft a late round guy (or bring in a backup with potential), and can pull the plug on Goff quickly, then I think they've got a shot.

9 hours ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

I am interested to see how McVay uses Gurley. That's the kind of weapon he never had here. Will he be able to utilize him effectively or will Gurley's talents go to waste?

I have no doubt McVay can help Goff develop.

i credit Matt Cavanaugh with teaching Kirk not McVay. 

Being a HC is soooooo much different than being a coordinator. Cooley said that McVay is ultra-organized and has his **** together so that will help, but with all the additional responsibilities and intangibles needed to succeed as a head coach, it's far more likely that he'll struggle than he'll succeed...especially if Goff does indeed end up being a bust. Plus who knows the owner's temperament, and the football gods will need to be on McVay's side if there ends up being a lot of front office politics. Throw in managing all those personalities, and handling the bad times both in the locker room and in the owner's box...sheesh, don't envy the guy.

Good luck to him, though, he seems like a stand-up guy. Sorry to be losing him.

I could have sworn I heard Cavanaugh was being promoted to OC, but I don't see a thread for it. Whether it's true or not, it'd make perfect sense. Guy knows the system and has been working with Kirk for the past two seasons while he's been starting. With Gruden being the pass-happy guy that he is, it makes more sense to promote the QB coach than the OL coach.

I believe Gruden will take back the play-calling duties, which would be great news; let's get back to the 2015 red zone success. 

You know, whenever I've heard the narrative about Gruden hiring "buddies" or those "he didn't want to lose his job to", I always rolled my eyes and shook my head. 

Namely because hires like Callahan, Wes Phillips, and numerous others on the defensive side proved otherwise. Oh, and the boatload of money that 5 year contract guaranteed him. 

Now, reading these two things from McVay and Callahan recently just really brought that point home for me and made it all that much more ridiculous to accept: 

Sean McVay on Gruden: 

And he was likewise complimentary of Redskins Coach Jay Gruden, who gave him his coordinating shot in Washington.

“He’s a great leader, but one of the things that I’ve really noticed about him that I hope to emulate in L.A. is he does a great job of empowering his assistants,” McVay said of Gruden. “Letting his coaches coach. And I think it really represents a security and a confidence that he has in himself, and that creates a culture where everyone feels a sense of loyalty and accountability to him to our organization and to [owner Daniel] Snyder. 

“Watching how that’s kind of taken place over the last couple years, as a leader, you’re like ‘What a great quality Jay has, I think it’s something that I can continue to try to improve on.’ And if we’re able to do that, I think we’ll be able to have some success. We know [the Redskins are] not where they want to be, they’re not doing the things they want to do here, but you can clearly see that the arrow is pointing up for the Washington Redskins organization with Jay Gruden leading the way.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/01/17/new-rams-coach-sean-mcvay-isnt-finished-praising-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.cd7596e64256

So here he's specifically mentioning Gruden's "security and confidence" in himself. Completely contradicting the narrative that suggests an insecure coach looking for safe bets. 

And before anyone says that's just coachspeak or whatever, no... he could've said a million other things but that's what he focused on. 

Here's what Callahan's agent told Liz Clarke: 

But in an interview on Tuesday, Callahan’s agent, Bob LaMonte, who also represents Redskins Coach Jay Gruden and McVay, along with numerous other NFL head coaches and coordinators, said that Callahan isn’t interested in the offensive coordinator’s job at this juncture of a 36-year coaching career.

“He loves working with Jay,” LaMonte continued. “It’s not that he’s dismissive of an opportunity to, at some point in time, become a coordinator. But at this time, he’s not interested because he’s enjoying the players he works with and enjoying working for Jay.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/01/17/redskins-assistant-bill-callahan-not-seeking-teams-offensive-coordinator-job/?utm_term=.c896661d6493

Liz Clarke also shot down the notion this was just "agentspeak" by a fan on twitter. See twitter thread. 

Jay is way more respected among his peers than so many within the fan base recognize. He's not worried about hiring someone to overtake him and it's extremely unlikely he's ever been.  

I thought I'd put this here so maybe it'll help those who are open to changing their perceptions a little to do so. 

I know we give Jay a lot of crap (I know I have), but I have a good feeling about his ability to make us successful year after year (playoff appearances, and just maybe a SB).  I just hope we stick with him long enough to allow him to grow as a HC.  If we can fix the defensive side of the ball, this team might really hit another level. 

So many Redskin fans knocked McVay and Kyle Shanahan over the years and yet both OCs are recognized around the league for their innovative offenses.  McVay is now the HC of the Rams and Shanahan will likely be the HC of the 49ers.  I hope we don't look back and feel like Browns fans with Belichek.

5 hours ago, PlayAction said:

So many Redskin fans knocked McVay and Kyle Shanahan over the years and yet both OCs are recognized around the league for their innovative offenses.  McVay is now the HC of the Rams and Shanahan will likely be the HC of the 49ers.  I hope we don't look back and feel like Browns fans with Belichek.

To be fair, their team ceased to exist as soon as all the pieces were in place.

Archived