Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

We're already starting to lose out on the best available position coaches. LA, SD, Buffalo, and Denver all have their new coaches and their new D Coordinators signed up. The pickins are getting slim, and fast. We know how important it is to have a good defensive backs coach.

14 hours ago, -JB- said:

Let me address the elephant in the room.  This guy has literally no track record of success.  He's 30 years old and just finished coordinating an offensive unit with an awful red zone TD% and missed the playoffs.  People are acting like he was calling plays for the most vaunted offensive attack in history.  What has he proven that would, for one second, make you believe he'll become a tremendous head coach?  Now think for a second, why is that?  

Wasn't this the same thing said about Kyle Shanahan around here before he left ?

I am not sure how much involvement McVay had in choosing Wade. Of course it was mentioned in his interviews. But what 30 year old greenhorn in a HC interview that is going well is going to shoot down your new boss proposing Wade? Especially after working with his son. and of course Wade's resume. He likely just signed off.

I am not sure who will have it tougher, McVay righting the Lambs, or Gregg Williams in Cleveland.

This front office is pissing me off - why are they moving so slow!!  These coordinators are getting scooped up quick, fast and in a hurry!

How does McVay, 1st year head coach, wet behind the ears, land Wade Phillips without even trying?  Everyone in the NFL knows that Wade is a proven product..The Rams sure as hell did...Jay, what the hell are you doing?

If we get some no name coordinators, Im going to be pissed.

3 minutes ago, Hogs 1991 said:

Wasn't this the same thing said about Kyle Shanahan around here before he left ?

No, not exactly. I think we were calling him a sniveling little arrogant spoiled brat. I cannot recall exactly.

Of course, Kyle didn't land a HC gig which is a different animal.  His success in Atlanta are acknowledged by all. But shouldn't life be good for all but the most incompetent of OCs with Ryan Julio Freeman Coleman Sanu and Gabriel at their disposal? Oh and lest we not forget, fantasy sleepers Aldrick and Nick.

Wade Philips and Sean are family friends, Sean spent some time with Wade and family over christmas go back years apparently. Coaching connections are not obvious but I would guess most people at least know someone who knows someone in pretty much every NFL franchise coaching staff and if there is a guy who they think should be promoted word will get round 

Congrats to McVay.  I hope he does well out there.

Disappointed the Rams landed Phillips, McVay is young but has potential, and someone like Wade with tons of experience can help to maximize that potential by allowing him to focus his efforts on learning the head coaching job and helping the offense, including Goff, as opposed to having to constantly worry about the defense.

I have to think Callahan is near the top of the list for replacements.  He fits the same mold as Phillips; long tenured NFL coach with head coaching experience who then went back to being a highly successful coordinator/positional coach.  I always like guys like that.

You bring in Bill Musgrave who's the best on the market right now for OC. Then you sign his old running back Latavius Murray, a true power back and UFA this year, away from the Raiders. Running game is fixed!

Latavius Murray

6'3, 230

Musgrave was the former QB coach who ended up OC for the Raiders during this amazing season they had. Derek Carr was up for MVP consideration (and still should be) before he broke his leg and ended his season.

Frankly, it's crazy the Raiders let Musgrave walk.

The Phillips signing is not a surprise to me. As stated above, there's friendship there with McVay and he comes into a defense that already  has a lot of great pieces. 

Why the hell would he want to come to a place with pretty much garbage on the defensive side of the ball, not even knowing if your head coach will survive next year? 

Cooley's been saying it all week, and he's right. The Redskins are NOT an attractive suitor right now. Number one, the QB position is completely in doubt. Number two, the head coaching position is far from solidified after next year, depending on performance. Number three, the talent level on defense is horrible, possibly the worst in the league. 

Sure, we'll pay, but so will other teams. And it's not always about money to guys. It's about some family security, job security, etc., etc. "Security" is not a very big selling point with this team right now. I'd be surprised, quite frankly, if we land some of the bigger, more proven names out there. Most all of them are bound to have better options. Really shaping up to be a craptacular offseason. 

Can our new O coord really change our running attack or will the new guy also be handcuffed by Callahan's insistence on using TEs exclusively and no FBs ever. 

If the new O coord insists on using a FB in some packages and he wins the tug-o-war, does that ruffle Callahan's feathers? 

I really hate the fact that we never ever use a FB and its all bc of Callahan's insistence. 

1 hour ago, rdskn4eva said:

This front office is pissing me off - why are they moving so slow!!  These coordinators are getting scooped up quick, fast and in a hurry!

How does McVay, 1st year head coach, wet behind the ears, land Wade Phillips without even trying?  Everyone in the NFL knows that Wade is a proven product..The Rams sure as hell did...Jay, what the hell are you doing?

If we get some no name coordinators, Im going to be pissed.

I'm hearing that Phillips chose the Rams over the Redskins due to a perceived lack of talent on the Redskins ddefense.

Hear that, Scot?! Your team is missing out on quality coaching candidates because the cupboard is bare on defense. 

41 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

It's a new day so I'll say my piece.

Bill Musgrave for OC

Mike Vrabel for DC

Sticking with Vrabel Hey? Wondering if We're we're not waiting for Houston To lose so we can interview him next week. We seemed To be waiting for more opportunities.

Regarding the OC position, I'm concerned by the fact they are not retaining him. There's probably more To this story that we haven't heard about yet. And we also need an OC that will Will be Kirk friendly. Not saying Musgrave wouldn't be though.

42 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I'm hearing that Phillips chose the Rams over the Redskins due to a perceived lack of talent on the Redskins ddefense.

Hear that, Scot?! Your team is missing out on quality coaching candidates because the cupboard is bare on defense. 

You really don't comprehend the McVay-Phillips family friendship is the reason for the immediate hiring without an interview or anything? Come on man.

39 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You really don't comprehend the McVay-Phillips family friendship is the reason for the immediate hiring without an interview or anything? Come on man.

Yeah, but his SON works for the Redskins. I'd think that would be a stronger bond. The family friendship definitely had a lot to do with it, but so did the horrible talent. 

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1745411-source-redskins-talent-scared-wade-phillips

7 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Yeah, but his SON works for the Redskins. I'd think that would be a stronger bond. The family friendship definitely had a lot to do with it, but so did the horrible talent. 

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1745411-source-redskins-talent-scared-wade-phillips

Yea, I think it's fair to assume Wes will be going with Sean. Being that he's under contract with the Skins, he can't be poached unless it's for a promotion, which would need to be to Offensive Coordinator. I imagine Rams brass had no problem signing off on Wade given his track record, but need to look into Wes a bit more.

Archived