Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Peterson isn't going to come here. He said he wants to retire as a Viking. Let's be realistic. 

So it's that obvious I don't play Madden?...guess I should have laid it down thicker I was kidding.

4 minutes ago, TK said:

Wade Phillips to the Rams

Noooooo!!

18 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Peterson isn't going to come here. He said he wants to retire as a Viking. Let's be realistic. 

The list of guys that wanted to retire with their longtime team and then wound up on another team is long and distinguished.

That said, him coming here is a longshot at best, just not because he said he wanted to retire a Viking.

15 minutes ago, TK said:

Wade Phillips to the Rams

I'll be upset if McVay winds up with a better staff than we do.  So far, he's off to a great start.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The list of guys that wanted to retire with their longtime team and then wound up on another team is long and distinguished.

That said, him coming here is a longshot at best, just not because he said he wanted to retire a Viking.

He would cost way too much as well. Another good reason he won't come here. We need all our money for defense ?

35 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Well, Jay said he was going to take his time.  Dude is officially an idiot.  McVay has the job for less than 12 hours and has his **** together more than Jay after three years.  It's going to be embarrassing when the Rams school us next season.

Some of the strongest coaches out there are still in the playoffs. I think you need to turn down the drama a notch. 

I really think our next OC is already in the  building. It's Jay's offense, with some leftover remnants of Shanahan's. Jay will probably take back playcalling, and everyone in the building already knows the terminology and the playbook. Why bring in someone new to shake it all up when one of Kirk's biggest strengths is his familiarity with Jay's offense.

The D staff is going to see some big shakeups but the offensive coaches will be nearly the same imo. 

30 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Well, Jay said he was going to take his time.  Dude is officially an idiot.  McVay has the job for less than 12 hours and has his **** together more than Jay after three years.  It's going to be embarrassing when the Rams school us next season.

What are you talking about. Wade never was an option this year and obviously had an understanding with McVay already. Gus is someone not many people here even wanted, and also had an understanding with someone who got a HC job. 

So far all we've done is give ourselves options, while interviewing guys that other teams also find desirable. 

Nevermind the fact that a lot of good candidates are still basically off-limits, in the playoffs, and all these teams are rushing to fill their staffs before they can even be interviewed. 

This is downright professional, you're being ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I think McVay has a bright future, but there is definitely a more than good chance that this turns into another Josh McDaniels situation where a young up and coming coordinator gets hired as a HC before he is ready, crashes &  burns relatively quickly and then spends the next 3-5 seasons rebuilding his rep as a coordinator again.  

Agreed.  I am happy for him and he absolutely had to take the job.  Might never get another HC offer.  But LA went way out on a limb with the hire.  He was pretty inconsistent as a playcaller the past two seasons.  He was just starting to grow into the job, I'll be surprised if he's ready to be a head coach.

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

Let me address the elephant in the room.  This guy has literally no track record of success.  He's 30 years old and just finished coordinating an offensive unit with an awful red zone TD% and missed the playoffs.  People are acting like he was calling plays for the most vaunted offensive attack in history.  What has he proven that would, for one second, make you believe he'll become a tremendous head coach?  Now think for a second, why is that?  

So its now our 3rd ranked offenses fault for missing the playoffs, and not the wet paper bag defense, is it?

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

So its now our 3rd ranked offenses fault for missing the playoffs, and not the wet paper bag defense, is it?

Of course the defense is worse than the offense, but when you don't score in the RZ it doesn't really matter how many yards you put up, and that's not a good look for any OC.

Really smart of McVay to add a gray beard like Phillips to his staff. Being as young as he is it helps not only to get Phillips as a DC because he's really good in that role, but because he's been there and seen everything there is to see.

We know the Gruden Redskins can move fast when they want to. See how they responded to Jackson and Norman's release. Clearly, they didn't love Phillips. Each time, he was available and they played around and ultimately lost him. Question is, have they targeted their man? There is no salary cap on coaches so if they know who they want there's no reason they shouldn't be able to land him.

3 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

It is official. We are coached by a dummy of Lamont Sanford proportions. You're right -- Boy Wonder is already demonstrating better decision-making as a head coach than Jay. It's pitiful.

Are we even sure McVay "got" Wade? 

Ownership/Management probabaly told him "hey we are going to try and sign Wade"...and McVay was like "ok"

Not like it matters because Wade did sign but part of me doubts McVay was the one who orchestrated it.

Excellent decision by Mcvay to hire Phillips. He can completely ignore that side of the ball and concentrate on the other now. His biggest test will be to turn Goff around and can use the peace of mind knowing he has expirence next to him that is 69 years old who knows how to coach a defense without question. Excellent hire and start.

we have to face it, these guys like Phillips can all see the jobs out there and can rank them. The Rams defense is loaded and frankly an easier and better job then ours. There is a lot of talent there to run a defense we don't have that. If your in the market for being a defensive coordinator what looks better Rams or Redskins job? 

My point is two fold as much as we may want a guy the feelings may not always be mutual. We may want Phillips and he may not want us. 

The team needs to get its act in gear and hire someone. There are other jobs out there like the Jaguars job that has a better more talented defense then ours and is easier 

The Redskins defense is a mess, your looking at a two year project to turn it around. That's not a great job and as these coaching dominoes fall the better coaches are going to come off the board. We need to identify and go get our guy. If he's still coaching we better have a deal in place to get him now instead of thinking let's just interview him when it's over

Since my guess is that we hire an offensive coordinator internally so Jay can call the plays and put his own fate in his hands it would be nice to hire someone trustable so he can ignore that side of the ball. A veteran like Gus would work for that. He hasn't been hired yet

Second point we need to hire the guy we want and get it done quick while we can

Archived