Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

I'm guessing if nothing happens with hiring a DC today they are exploring other options.  Vrabel & Romeo Crennell come to mind if they are eliminated from the playoffs tomorrow and O'Brien is fired. Vrabel sounds intriguing as Bill Belichek gave very high praise of him.

How many other D-coordinator positions are open? We kind of have our pick of the litter. It kind of reminds me of how we attacked free agency last year... with the difference being that there are still strong DCs available. I'll be ecstatic if we land Pettine or Vrabel for DC and Musgrave or promote Cavanaugh for OC.

From what many have said, McVay has a great football mind. But, there's no doubt that playcalling took a step back this year. We seemed quite a bit less creative with play designs and at the same time overly creative (to a fault) with play calls (fade to Desean from the 2). He still has much to learn and I'm sure he will. As I said the other day when it came out that he was interviewing in LA, this is best for the Skins offense. 

The raiders needed a scapegoat for phoning it in after Carr was injured. They played completely terrible against the Texans and for a team 1 game from a playoff bye, that wasn't good enough. Their d coordinator was the one that should have gotten the axe.

I still think Musgrave is a pretty good candidate.

I am less concerned about finding a new OC.  The offense for the most part has the pieces in place to make any kind of offense go.  Of course who the coach is can make a difference, but their task is not nearly the undertaking that the DC's job is going to be because they will likely be dealing with a lot of new players and personnel that need to come together and not only learn but gel as a new unit. 

Its kind of funny and sad to see the amount of hate on here for our two best, and yet two most maligned offensive coordinators in forever, Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.  A number of people here wanted BOTH out of town, and yet, they are responsible for 2 of the top 3 offenses this past season.  Im so glad many of you arent in charge...

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

How many other D-coordinator positions are open? We kind of have our pick of the litter. It kind of reminds me of how we attacked free agency last year... with the difference being that there are still strong DCs available. I'll be ecstatic if we land Pettine or Vrabel for DC and Musgrave or promote Cavanaugh for OC.

Not sure Cavanaugh would be a good choice for OC. Not that I doubt he can make it, but I don't see it as a nice move for Kirk. Dude has been rising since Cavanaugh camed here and I would hate to break that.

Open DC jobs?

- SF

- Bills (Al Holcombe seems the runner up).

- Chargers (though Gus Bradley will most probably be it).

- Broncos

- Redskins

Oc are all opens right now as I believe no team that hired a HC recently have yet hired an OC.

2 hours ago, TeddyKGB said:

I don't get all the hype for bill musgrave for OC, dude is a butt-terrible version of Bevell(who is also hyped for no reason). It doesn't alarm anyone that the raiders X'ed him after their successful offensive year?

That have me concerned as well. So I'm cautious about him until I get further report regarding this release. Because, he's not fired, he's just let go...

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Guess who gave him the two plays to call in the RZ? Hint: Kirk is not the correct answer.

Sean McVay RZ Playbook:

9bc9e40e5e043fe321253d32de9d1540970fc074

1 hour ago, ZarG3 said:

We already have our next OC.. His name is Bill Callahan

Doubt it will happen, guy seems fine as OL guru.

1 hour ago, RedBeast said:

Sometimes a new girl was just what you needed

My wife would respectfully disagree and slaps you in the face :P

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

How many other D-coordinator positions are open? We kind of have our pick of the litter

Completely disagree, our Defense is a mess and this is a very tough job for anyone to take. Our market is tough as hell on everyone involved and even when we get an answer at QB who looks like a Probowler he doesn't get a break. Our home field is not an advantage with half of the stadium filled with other teams fans most weeks even and this is one of the worst places to coach compared to how the players and coaches are treated. Not saying we are the worst team no we are great but it takes someone crazy to see this job and pick it over others. 

This is not a good job to anyone being objectionable and there are other teams with far better and more talent on that side of the ball with openings now. We also are in a very competitive division which will not help us so No I do not agree that we have our "pick of the litter" because this just isn't a good job. The thing we do offer is $$ but when reputations are ruined when the coaching struggles on an annual basis I'm not sure that is enough to see someone choose us over another team. That's why its imperative that we get this done quickly no matter the cost. Find someone hire him and pay that man. Just look below at the openings now and tell me which of those are harder then ours? 

1 hour ago, Hail4Life said:

On one hand I'm disappointed McVay is leaving but on the other hand I think it is lovely that McVay got an HC job and Kyle didn't.  That little jerk must be so pissed. 

Kyle will get hired, he's still in the playoffs and Kyle is the leading candidate to take over in San Fran now

1 hour ago, ZarG3 said:

We already have our next OC.. His name is Bill Callahan

Pretty much agree. I don't think in a make or break year that Gruden is in that he's going to hand the play calling over to someone else and will do that living and dying by his own hands. Callahan can be the OC and not call the plays. That hire will come from someone internal who doesn't mind that decision. Also Kirk won't want to learn a new offense this off season and Jay will feed him better then most. Everyone should know that if Jay is calling the plays next year we can all expect more passing and less running. That was the complaint against him in Cincinnati and I expect the same to continue. McVay preached balance between the pass and run, Jay isn't like that. Probably looking at a 60-65% split with pass to run with Jay calling plays

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Open DC jobs?

- SF

- Jaguars

- Broncos

- Redskins

As far as talent we clearly have the 2nd worst job on that list from the bunch only in front of San Fran. Why if your a coach would you choose us over the Jags or the Bills or Broncos or Chargers who all have good Defenses already? Your job would be so much easier other places then here. Maybe if your crazy and want the challenge it's more interesting but then again if that's how you feel why not take the 49ers job instead? 

I heard Bram waxing rhapsodic about how McVay could be the next Bill Walsh.  But the same guy that hired Jeff Fisher and kept him around for 5 losing seasons made this choice and gave him an extension.  His judgement up until now has been dubious.  Not ready to put McVay in the Hall just yet.

44 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am less concerned about finding a new OC.  The offense for the most part has the pieces in place to make any kind of offense go.  Of course who the coach is can make a difference, but their task is not nearly the undertaking that the DC's job is going to be because they will likely be dealing with a lot of new players and personnel that need to come together and not only learn but gel as a new unit. 

All true statements, but it should not be forgotten that the offense might be in line for some big changes, personnel wise.  More than I think people are giving it credit for.

You have to consider that someone who made it from 2011 to 2016 with the Redskins knowing all our coaching turnovers and player drama who is so young that he has something very special about him we don't see. Im guessing that if Goff has any talent that he will do well there in LA. Probably will take two years to right the offensive line there and really make some noise but McVay is very very good

33 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Not sure Cavanaugh would be a good choice for OC. Not that I doubt he can make it, but I don't see it as a nice move for Kirk. Dude has been rising since Cavanaugh camed here and I would hate to break that.

Open DC jobs?

- SF

- Jaguars

- Broncos

- Redskins

The Jags retained their DC and fired the rest of the defensive staff.  

14 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What are you talking about. Wade never was an option this year and obviously had an understanding with McVay already. Gus is someone not many people here even wanted, and also had an understanding with someone who got a HC job. 

So far all we've done is give ourselves options, while interviewing guys that other teams also find desirable. 

Nevermind the fact that a lot of good candidates are still basically off-limits, in the playoffs, and all these teams are rushing to fill their staffs before they can even be interviewed. 

This is downright professional, you're being ridiculous. 

14 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Some of the strongest coaches out there are still in the playoffs. I think you need to turn down the drama a notch. 

We haven't tried to interview any of the coaches that are still in the playoffs, which is NOT off limits unless the team the coach currently works for turns down the request, which none reported doing.  There are a couple of coaches still in the playoffs that have already interviewed with other teams though they are still coaching.

Whether or not Wade was a serious option or not (kind of telling if he wasn't) doesn't change the fact that Jay has dragged his feet on this process.  I understand they want to take their time, but time is not always a luxury that is available. Plus, he spent three weeks to come up with Barry as his guy last time.  Not so sure he always uses his time wisely. There were many reports that Bradley was their guy.  Whether or not the fans want him has nothing to do with who the team hires (we are not in the Snyderatto days like the whole Jim Fassel debacle).  If he was their guy, they should have acted on it, because now they are too late.  If he was truly going to follow someone else, why waste time with interviewing him?  Why not bring in some of these other great candidates that are out still out there and get the ball rolling with them. McVay wasted no time, which is a great  start for him.

You can call me dramatic and ridiculous all you want.  Doesn't change the fact that almost every team that has coaching vacancies has put the majority if not all of their staffs together by this point and we seem to not know what to do about our opening.  That is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Agree, but if McVey is as good as everyone seems to think, surely he would continue to grow/improve right along with Kirk.

Understand your point and I was hoping for that but all of the data analytics in the world wont tell us the future. IMO we definitely need continuity, and I definitely believe it is a benefit if the coach is good. But you can be consistently 8-8 with the same coaches also.

@Wildbunny please control your lady.....hold on a sec! You are European, no? All men in Europe have girlfriends and their wives know...did you marry a gringa? :ols:

20 minutes ago, drowland said:

The Jags retained their DC and fired the rest of the defensive staff.  

Thanks! Didn't pay attention to that, so I updated the list.

12 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

We haven't tried to interview any of the coaches that are still in the playoffs, which is NOT off limits unless the team the coach currently works for turns down the request, which none reported doing.  There are a couple of coaches still in the playoffs that have already interviewed with other teams though they are still coaching.

Whether or not Wade was a serious option or not (kind of telling if he wasn't) doesn't change the fact that Jay has dragged his feet on this process.  I understand they want to take their time, but time is not always a luxury that is available. Plus, he spent three weeks to come up with Barry as his guy last time.  Not so sure he always uses his time wisely. There were many reports that Bradley was their guy.  Whether or not the fans want him has nothing to do with who the team hires (we are not in the Snyderatto days like the whole Jim Fassel debacle).  If he was their guy, they should have acted on it, because now they are too late.  If he was truly going to follow someone else, why waste time with interviewing him?  Why not bring in some of these other great candidates that are out still out there and get the ball rolling with them. McVay wasted no time, which is a great  start for him.

You can call me dramatic and ridiculous all you want.  Doesn't change the fact that almost every team that has coaching vacancies has put the majority if not all of their staffs together by this point and we seem to not know what to do about our opening.  That is ridiculous.

So far, only coaches that had a bye may have been interviewed. And you have to do it during the bye week at the place the coach wants.Some teams may be reluctant to do it and prefer to bring them home to try to sign them.

Bradley was seemed to be our first choice, but they also knew the guy had other views depending on Anthony Lynn. From what TK reported, they tried really hard to convince him to sign here. But it was apparently not enough. Are you seriously bashing them for trying to get Bradley? That's insane. They still kept their options open with a guy like Pettine who wouldn't be a bad choice, and maybe a blessing in disguise.

Now, we've spend too much time bashing them for the Tampa connection only to congratulates McVay for bringing friends? come on... Wade wasn't coming here anyway.

There's still 5 or 6 teams with holes at either coordinator position. The fact that some decided to go the fast way doesn't mean they're right. Heck, being McVay I would have been very cautious to work for a guy that gave an extension to this ex coach only to fire him 2 or 3 days later...

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Bradley was seemed to be our first choice, but they also knew the guy had other views depending on Anthony Lynn. From what TK reported, they tried really hard to convince him to sign here. But it was apparently not enough. Are you seriously bashing them for trying to get Bradley? That's insane. They still kept their options open with a guy like Pettine who wouldn't be a bad choice, and maybe a blessing in disguise.

Now, we've spend too much time bashing them for the Tampa connection only to congratulates McVay for bringing friends? come on... Wade wasn't coming here anyway.

I am not Bashing them for going after Bradley if they really felt he was their guy.  I was just saying that if they and Bradley knew he was probably not going to take the job, than that was really a waste of time on both parts.  I wasn't big on the idea of Bradley being the new DC, but if he was their guy, he was their guy. Jay is near live or die mode here, so if he felt Bradley was going to do the job and save his, then go for it.  However, they really needed to go for it and get it done if he was their guy.  If we lose him and that's who they really wanted, that's not a good sign. BTW, I never knocked them for a Tampa connection, and had we been serious about Wade, we could have used his son as a connection.

Saying Wade wasn't coming here anyway kind of sums up my point.  Why even set up an interview if you know you don't want a guy or know he doesn't want to be here, ie, has plans of going somewhere else with someone else.  Let's stop wasting time with these meaningless interviews and start setting up interviews with people we are truly interested in and that are interested in working here.

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Heck, being McVay I would have been very cautious to work for a guy that gave an extension to this ex coach only to fire him 2 or 3 days later...

Fisher got the extension during pre-season, but the news of it didn't break until a couple days before he got fired. Great timing.

Anyone have a pulse on what the Rams fanbase thinks about the McVay hire?

15 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Deja vu?  In 1999, Martz, our QB coach in 1998, was hired by the Rams as OC.  They took our QB.

Wont happen, they invested so much in Goff they have no choice but to give him two years in McVays system before giving up.

Belief around the league is Goff is much like Cousins. Neither has elite arm strength and both are accurate passers and if Kirk can excel why can't Goff under this leadership? By the time they give up on Goff Kirk will be long gone off the market

At least that is the belief held by most

14 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Fisher got the extension during pre-season, but the news of it didn't break until a couple days before he got fired. Great timing.

Anyone have a pulse on what the Rams fanbase thinks about the McVay hire?

Watching YouTube last night and paying attention to the local papers they love the hire. I have watched 20 or so takes on this and never saw anyone downing the hire. If the other take is out there I haven't seen it yet

Archived