Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Some people on Twitter saying this might be one of those disguise "better for both parties" things as Jay has been wanting to run the ball more but left it up to McVay.

Not sure how true that is since Jay came here already with a rep for not committing to the run.

I've heard just the opposite ... that McVay really wants to run the ball more and values the importance of the run far more than Jay. Heard that on local radio t his week. 

I'm sorry to see him go. He clearly has a great mind and great potential. I just don't know how his personality will translate into an effective head coach. There's a danger there of him being Turner-esque. Good mind, not a good motivator or leader of men. But I don't know enough about how he handles a locker room to know that. We'll see. Either way, at only 30, he'll have plenty of time to improve on whatever his weaknesses are if given the chance. 

Gonna be a much different looking team next year. I think we'll be losing our QB as well as our OC. 

45 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Let me address the elephant in the room.  This guy has literally no track record of success.  He's 30 years old and just finished coordinating an offensive unit with an awful red zone TD% and missed the playoffs.  People are acting like he was calling plays for the most vaunted offensive attack in history.  What has he proven that would, for one second, make you believe he'll become a tremendous head coach?  Now think for a second, why is that?  

Uh, we had one of the best overall offenses in the NFL during his two year tenure as OC. Our issues, and the reason why we aren't in the playoffs this year, had much, much more to do with our pathetic defense. Our red zone offense struggled this year (wasn't that big of an issue last year), but you're making McVay look like some incompetent Jim Zorn type, and it's way off base.

I think McVay is a little young, and too inexperienced, to be the head honcho of an NFL team, but I guess we'll find out.

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

Uh, we had one of the best overall offenses in the NFL during his two year tenure as OC. Our issues, and the reason why we aren't in the playoffs this year, had much, much more to do with our pathetic defense. Our red zone offense struggled this year (wasn't that big of an issue last year), but you're making McVay look like some incompetent Jim Zorn type, and it's way off base.

I think McVay is a little young, and too inexperienced, to be the head honcho of an NFL team, but I guess we'll find out.

I'm thinking hes cheap

Happy that he's breaking barriers with his age, but don't see why people are forecasting his success or failure because of it. The 2 have no correlation. I get that experience is one of many tools to be successful, but it's not the only one. Sometimes a fresh, intelligent mind is exactly what an organization needs

I think we'll miss him. Saw a lot of talk today about what a good communicator he was and good relationships he had with a lot of the players. Also saw a good stat that probably makes the Rams a uniquely good fit for him. There's only one guy on that roster older than him. Just looked at the average age on their team, and I think it's accurate. I hope he does well.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

My personal favorite was the fade to DJax while covered 1 on 1 by Patrick Peterson.

Take your 5'9 175 lb WR and throw a corner fade to him while he's covered by one of the best CBs in the game and who also happens to be 6'1 205 lbs.

Brilliant.

Djax is one of the best ball trackers in the NFL. He's fantastic at making plays like that. Like most plays, you get hammered if they don't work and celebrated when they do.

5 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

He needed to show about 3 more years he could have a top 10 offense to deserve a hc job.  Not to mention, he's going to a joke of a franchise with baseically a rookie QB.  Good luck!??? 

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Djax is one of the best ball trackers in the NFL. He's fantastic at making plays like that. Like most plays, you get hammered if they don't work and celebrated when they do.

Kirk doesn't throw a good fade.(doesn't float it well?) its compounded by not having the tallest guy out there

Redzone success is a red herring - when the rest of your offense is off the charts, lack of redzone success is due to small sample size.

That being said, I'm sad to see him go but don't think he will be successful simply due to age.  It sounds like he's a genius, but being a head coach is a completely different skillset from being a coordinator.  The coach won't be as involved with the Xs and Os.  He'll need to get the team on board with the program, convince free agents to come to the team, manage a staff of coordinators and assistants, identify players in the draft, etc.  I think those things are much harder to do as a 30 year old than as a 40 year old.

Also, just a note - in 2014 without McVay, Cousins led the league in passing yards per game.

22 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I just saw online that Jackson is singing the praises of the new head coach.  I bet he would like to play for him in LA.

Skins need to pick a coordinator who will get the job done.  I hope a year from now we are not complaining about Sean's replacement.

He was not effective calling plays in the red zone but the offense put up a ton of yards.

We were ranked in the top 2 or 3 teams in total offense in the NFL this year.

Why would you say that?  Just because he likes the guy and is from LA and the Rams need to spend on wide receivers doesn't mean at all that Jackson would go with him.

. . . oh wait.

1 hour ago, Hail4Life said:

**** man!  This just gives Kirk less incentive to stay and I want Kirk to stay.  However, I think Callahan can have the same success if we are lucky enough to have Kirk back.  I just don't think Sean will have success in LA as a head coach, not as long as they have Goff.

It also gives Cousins a new suitor

I'm close to just not listening to sports radio anymore after the doomsday that 1067 is trying to paint tonight after McVay was snagged up by the Rams.  It's getting ridiculous talking about how we're doomed because we just let out potential successor to Gruden walk out the door, how Cousins won't be even tagged and will go somewhere else cheaper.  I mean holy **** it's getting ridiculous how negative everyone is in this area now after what is probably the best 2 years of football we've had back to back in 2 decades.  It's getting painful.

37 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

It's funny. It's as if everyone up and forgot we had one of, if not the best red zone offense in the league last year and we consistently ran and completed fades. Or that we've had one of the best offenses in the league over the past three years, especially the last two, under Mcvay. I've also never heard anything but respect and admiration for him from players, even as just a tight ends coach. I wish him well except against us. 

Archived