Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Going into the draft my two biggest concerns would be: 

1) Impact guy on the line, be it interior Dline or Edge.

2) Slot DB.      

We may have answers to both of those questions on the roster as is. In terms of our front, with guys like Galette, Lanier, Ioannidis, Preston Smith, Murphy, etc... either taking big steps forward or staying healthy. In terms of our slot/nickle players, guys like Fuller, Cravens, Blackmon, etc... taking big steps forward as well or, in the case of Blackmon, going back to what he did best for us in 2015.

But that's not something you just want to rely on. And those two issues can devastate the entire D if an answer isn't provided. As we witnessed last season.  

Significant, but less so, concerns are:

1) CB opposite of Norman and for depth should he get hurt. Hopefully Breeland bounces back, but there's certainly room for a guy to upgrade the top 3-4 that we have.  

2) ILB. Zach Brown is a major upgrade, but we could still stand to get better there between Foster and Compton. Would be nice if Daniels or Spaight take a big step forward.  

3) Safety depth? What if one of Swearinger or Cravens doesn't pan out? What if both? DHall isn't reliable at this point and Blackmon is only serviceable at best. Everett is only a maybe, though he's a great Special Teams guy. Definitely could stand to get more competition here.      

@thesubmittedone I agree completely with your list.

Even if Breeland does get back to form, he's a UFA after this season.  If he plays lights out - we can't afford him.  If he doesn't - do we really want to hold on to him?  We can hope Fuller steps up at NCB, but thus far he's shown nothing to indicate that the position is "his".

Zach Brown, while an exciting signing, is still a one year deal.  A one year deal it appears he accepted reluctantly only in an effort to prove himself and garner a much larger, long term contract....that we most likely won't be able to afford.

Safety continues to be a position of uncertainty for a little over a decade now.  No matter what, it appears we are stuck with Swearinger - so let's pray he works out.  Cravens moving to a new role is a complete ?.  I'm optimistic about him but you never know.

I wouldn't cry if we snagged a center, guard or RB on the offensive side of the ball either.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I wouldn't cry if we snagged a center, guard or RB on the offensive side of the ball either.

Yup, agreed, but for the first time in as long as I can remember I feel like there are no real major concerns or immediate needs on the offense. Pretty awesome, really. 

We could definitely stand to improve at LG, RB, and depth at Center (I think Long will be very good for us there), but it's not a killer if we don't. Can still have an elite offense without any upgrades there. It's near impossible to have zero weaknesses on any unit but as long as those weaknesses are very few and aren't glaring it shouldn't hamper the rest of your strengths. 

Either way, I'm all about BPA, and I weigh team needs extremely lightly. So if any of those positions are drafted because they're simply at the top of our board, I'm fine with it. Even if it's a WR or TE. I'd only purposely stay away from QB until mid rounds. And of course K and P (don't like even spending 7's on those guys, lol) before some smart ass chimes in. :P 

That being said, I just hope the draft falls a certain way where BPA happens to meet with my two biggest concerns (impact line player, slot DB). If it doesn't, it doesn't. Don't force it. Would rather get a talent that has the higher chance of impacting the game for years to come than addressing a perceived need for the 2017 season. That's just a stupid, short sighted, way of drafting and why I don't like coaches to have too much power. 

@thesubmittedoneThat's a good point about immediate offensive needs.  Some might argue Lauvao needs replacing (ASAP), but I think you're right that the offense can hum along just fine with who we've got.  

Needs 2018:

edge rusher - Murphy, Gallete FAs

ILB - Brown, Foster, Compton FAs

Corner - Breeland FA

WR - Pryor, Quick, Grant FAs

RT - Moses FA

C - Long FA

LG - Lauvao FA

RB - Thompson FA

TE - Paul, Carrier FAs

and, of course... QB.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just for the record, I'd actually be OK with every single draft pick going towards the defensive side of the ball.  First and foremost on the fat boys.

However if a guard or a RB falls to us in some fashion, I won't throw my remote!

I'd actually be angry if I knew one fell to us, was at the top of our board, and we still picked a defensive player just because. That's the kind of stuff stupid, short-sighted, FOs do.

The draft should always be about the next 4-8 years. Not the next season or even the one after that. 

But unless we actually find out what their board looked like, there's no way to tell if they panicked or not and did that.  

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

3) Safety depth? What if one of Swearinger or Cravens doesn't pan out? What if both? DHall isn't reliable at this point and Blackmon is only serviceable at best. Everett is only a maybe, though he's a great Special Teams guy. Definitely could stand to get more competition here.      

I think free safety is an underrated need.  Cooley swears that Swearinger could play free well. Hopefully he's right.  But Cravens is unproven and Swearinger might be more of a strong safety in the end.  It's a good draft for free safety even if we draft lower down, guys like M. Williams (3rd?), Maye (3rd) T. Thompson(5?). Also free safeties can often play the slot well if need be.

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

2) Slot DB.      

1) CB opposite of Norman and for depth should he get hurt. Hopefully Breeland bounces back, but there's certainly room for a guy to upgrade the top 3-4 that we have.  

I would take a DB on day 2. I'd be tempted in the first as pure BPA.

CB across from Norman is a major issue for me. They will get abused as Norman gets avoided. Our new coach Gray had history with Fuller so hopefully we see some progression there.

Interestingly Gray will also have the inside track on the Gator DBs. I've seen Quincy Wilson touted as a CB/safety tweeter. Also with Maye in that range I could see us snag a Gator DB on day 2 or right at the top of the 4th if Gray has put forward some positive input.

Got into it with Morneblade about this issue - I think we could well see an uptick in our run D based on our change in safeties and the addition of Brown.  With that said, I think we need at least one (more?) impact Dlineman.  McGee doesn't strike me as much of an addition in terms of pushing the pocket, but his ability to anchor could help on run downs.  

Think the idea of Smith (or maybe Murphy) moving inside is intriguing as well.  Would fit with our push to draft an edge rusher, though I'm leery of them forcing the issue and taking a lesser prospect because of it.  

They have an old saying in recruiting...

It's not the ones that get away that hurt you, it's the ones you do get that don't pan out.  

With that in mind, I'm not really worried about what position we draft.  We just need to make sure the lion's share of guys we take turn out to be good football players.  Keep building that talent base.  Stoked for tomorrow night. :)

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think free safety is an underrated need.  Cooley swears that Swearinger could play free well. Hopefully he's right.  But Cravens is unproven and Swearinger might be more of a strong safety in the end.  It's a good draft for free safety even if we draft lower down, guys like M. Williams (3rd?), Maye (3rd) T. Thompson(5?). Also free safeties can often play the slot well if need be.

Yeah, hence my "what if one or both don't pan out" question. 

But I think it can be mitigated more than the other spots. Just a good Dline alone, for instance, can elevate Safety play in a much more significant way than the other way around. That, coupled with the amount of resources we've already poured into it, put it at the bottom of my list of concerns. But it's still a concern. 

One of the reasons I'm so desperate for them to really upgrade the line is because of Swearinger's aggressive style. He clearly played last season with some excellent timing based on what his front was doing in terms of rushing the QB, so he was able to jump routes based off of that. If our Dline still stinks it up or is inconsistent, not only can his strength be nullified but it could completely backfire. :( 

es.redskins.com/topic/412374-press-release-redskins-make-roster-move/

For Immediate Release                                                                                  
April 27, 2017

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins signed the following free agent:
OL Quinton Schooley

Archived